• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question No Face unlock?!

Search This thread

DoobyDroid

Mar 17, 2013
tenbury wells
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Yr sucks although most android face unlock phones are pretty bad and only work in good light then its hit and miss wish they would take a leaf out of apples face unlock at least it works flawlessly 99% of the time even in the dark only android phones with 3d facial unlocked that came near apples was from Huawei think p40 pro etc maybe 30 pro if remember correctly , I would of much preferred a side mounted fingerprint than a in display one there just as bad with screen protectors etc

mkstevo

Mar 5, 2010
Had many inexpensive Chinese 'phones where face unlock is flawless, in near darkness too. My Smartisan is superb in any light, my TCL 10 Pro not so good, even in good light. It has been suggested that face unlock is not very secure (particularly the Chinese models) but I've never managed to fool it with anyone else's face, in a mirror, photographs or random objects . I really like face unlock though one of the problems with more recent versions of Android is that you are often required to use a password after a number of hours have expired. This also applies to fingerprints too. I realise it is for security, but it truly is a pain. My Windows PC has face unlock and it not only recognises me at some distance, but so far I've not needed a password in nine months or so since buying it.

I work with my hands and my fingerprints must become worn, cut or just plain dirty and I find optical fingerprint readers fail to recognise my fingers or thumbs from day to day, hour to hour. Ultrasonic or at least physical fingerprint readers work far better for me. So if Google can add face unlock, I would be grateful. Even if it is a greater security risk.

Reactions: Nimueh

Nimueh

Recognized Contributor
May 19, 2012
OnePlus 3
Samsung Galaxy Tab A series
Had many inexpensive Chinese 'phones where face unlock is flawless, in near darkness too. My Smartisan is superb in any light, my TCL 10 Pro not so good, even in good light. It has been suggested that face unlock is not very secure (particularly the Chinese models) but I've never managed to fool it with anyone else's face, in a mirror, photographs or random objects . I really like face unlock though one of the problems with more recent versions of Android is that you are often required to use a password after a number of hours have expired. This also applies to fingerprints too. I realise it is for security, but it truly is a pain. My Windows PC has face unlock and it not only recognises me at some distance, but so far I've not needed a password in nine months or so since buying it.

I work with my hands and my fingerprints must become worn, cut or just plain dirty and I find optical fingerprint readers fail to recognise my fingers or thumbs from day to day, hour to hour. Ultrasonic or at least physical fingerprint readers work far better for me. So if Google can add face unlock, I would be grateful. Even if it is a greater security risk.
I'm in the same boat, I'm old, my fingertips are worn and getting fp unlock to work is a challenge at best.

On my OP7 (current device) I've been using face unlock for almost 2 years without a single issue. When I initially set it up I was only messing around so I set it up in bed while watching TV, with very dim lighting. But thanks to that it works every time, it's never failed under any lighting and 7 times out of 10 even works at the grocery when I'm wearing my mask.

I'll be using Swipe or None on my Pixel 6 lockscreen now because Google removed face unlock "for security" ... not sure how Swipe/None are more secure though, it's simply ridiculous and makes no sense at all. :rolleyes:

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
I'm in the same boat, I'm old, my fingertips are worn and getting fp unlock to work is a challenge at best.

On my OP7 (current device) I've been using face unlock for almost 2 years without a single issue. When I initially set it up I was only messing around so I set it up in bed while watching TV, with very dim lighting. But thanks to that it works every time, it's never failed under any lighting and 7 times out of 10 even works at the grocery when I'm wearing my mask.

I'll be using Swipe or None on my Pixel 6 lockscreen now because Google removed face unlock "for security" ... not sure how Swipe/None are more secure though, it's simply ridiculous and makes no sense at all. :rolleyes:
I do wish they had both and was kind of counting on it due to earlier reports. I am also, I'll call it elderly since "old" seems to be a state of mind. :p I have trouble sometimes with FP especially in certain environments such as dry weather or wrinkly skin after swimming. I've taken to one hand mode so I can enter the keys rather quickly although I do curse at it most of the time. My experience with face unlock on the P4 was rather good in all kinds of lighting until face masks became ubiquitous. Then it didn't work at all. Apple figured it out but you needed an iWatch (is that what they call it?) in order to make it flawless and that is not acceptable to most users of Android. But hopefully they will enable both in the future perhaps with a software update or dare I say it, the P7?

Reactions: Nimueh

netarchy

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Jun 16, 2010
San Antonio, TX
github.com
I wouldn't be surprised for this to show up as a software update in the future officially, given the difficulties being experienced with the in-screen fingerprint sensor combined with screen protectors.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I do wish they had both and was kind of counting on it due to earlier reports. I am also, I'll call it elderly since "old" seems to be a state of mind. :p I have trouble sometimes with FP especially in certain environments such as dry weather or wrinkly skin after swimming. I've taken to one hand mode so I can enter the keys rather quickly although I do curse at it most of the time. My experience with face unlock on the P4 was rather good in all kinds of lighting until face masks became ubiquitous. Then it didn't work at all. Apple figured it out but you needed an iWatch (is that what they call it?) in order to make it flawless and that is not acceptable to most users of Android. But hopefully they will enable both in the future perhaps with a software update or dare I say it, the P7?
    Had many inexpensive Chinese 'phones where face unlock is flawless, in near darkness too.

Your face is now the property of the PRC.