• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

No FM radio in Windows Phone 8?

Search This thread

N3croman

Jul 28, 2011
Prague
twitter.com

Yakkaimono

May 3, 2009
You might be onto something. This screenshot from the new sdk shows that the radio option is gone from the music+video hub. Really weird.

screenshot20120922010.png

Source: Winunleaked

Jiggity Janx

Feb 19, 2010
Read somewhere recently a discussion about how there is fm capability on the current standard chipset for wp8 but that none of the current phones announced have it enabled (for whatever reason).

IMO it comes down to the carriers. Android phones recently also have had fm capability on their chipset and not had them enabled. The likely answer to why is that carriers want money and there is no money in allowing people to use their devices to listen to music that is broadcast freely over the air. Most likely they want everyone to use online capabilities so they can make their money off the large amounts of data people use when streaming.

Never been confirmed, just my suspicion...

Tempest790

Jun 30, 2007
New Orleans
I didn't even catch that it was missing. While the FM receiver is nice, practically every car, house, and object has it. I would really like if they supported HD radio since it supports digital and a lot more channels. Zune HD had it, Microsoft should have mandated it for every Window Phone.

Greywolf_Ghost

Nov 11, 2009
Guelph
www.facebook.com
Hummmmm the Op is right....the Nokia 920 has nothing on it's specs about FM radio.

My Radar has it, but to be truthful.....I have only used the FM Radio function 1 time.

Will you truly miss FM radio??

It is really not a deal break for me.

As long as I have wifi, I can hear radio from the web, or my own playlist.

It is however weird to just drop a feature and not give a reason why. I could see it if such a feature chewed up battery life......but I don't think FM radio eats more then MP3 play does it????

TitusO

Jun 13, 2009
That would be poor, if tey would have dropped this feature.

So both the new lumias don't have a FM radio which will allow the users to access the local FM channels. Although the hardware (WCN3660) has support for FM transceiver but for some reason, FM has been switched off. Can some one answer the two questions that are coming to my mind:

1. Can a firmware upgrade enable the FM receiver functionality?

2. Can a third party app access the hardware chip and allow a user to access FM radio channels?

Last edited:

mcosmin222

May 1, 2012
That would be poor, if tey would have dropped this feature.

So both the new lumias don't have a FM radio which will allow the users to access the local FM channels. Although the hardware (WCN3660) has support for FM transceiver but for some reason, FM has been switched off. Can some one answer the two questions that are coming to my mind:

1. Can a firmware upgrade enable the FM receiver functionality?

2. Can a third party app access the hardware chip and allow a user to access FM radio channels?

Until I can get my hands on the retail release SDK for WP8, I can't tell for certain what is going to happen. I guess we need to wait and see.

N3croman

Jul 28, 2011
Prague
twitter.com
Re

Now when NDA is over, I can tell you some background info. What I have heard from a Microsoft guy: WP8 does not have FM Radio, because then haven't implemented it in time and in a reasonable quality, apparently it was low priority task when migrating form WinCE to WinRT. But there is a chance FMRadio will work again in later update :)

Reactions: mikereidis

BJohnM

Apr 4, 2007
Tampa, FL
Hummmmm the Op is right....the Nokia 920 has nothing on it's specs about FM radio.

My Radar has it, but to be truthful.....I have only used the FM Radio function 1 time.

Will you truly miss FM radio??

It is really not a deal break for me.

As long as I have wifi, I can hear radio from the web, or my own playlist.

It is however weird to just drop a feature and not give a reason why. I could see it if such a feature chewed up battery life......but I don't think FM radio eats more then MP3 play does it????

I would miss it. I listen to the radio on daily walks, and while doing chores outside. Now, I realize I can probably stream, but that's burning up my data, so I agree with others, this appears to be the carriers way of pushing us to data.

Bjd223

Jul 3, 2008
USA
Gonna buy htc 8s.. but anyone have news about fm radio? Does it REALLY comes in update? I used to listen to it on my way

It has not been added by the portico update but may come in the next update which is supposed to be much bigger. I have heard that the reason it is not included is because the tuner application was not finished in time for release.

It may or may not be added but I think it def. could

DavidinCT

Jun 2, 2006
Someplace in CT
Yea. FM radio is pretty big to me if I can't listen to local sports as they do not stream then unless you pay $50 a year or something. MLB is played over local radio but, to get it streamed you have to pay, same with NFL.

I do use my FM radio a lot durning baseball season on my phone...almost every other day...

This might make me hold on to my 7.8 device a little longer....as it will impact my baseball season big time...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Re

Now when NDA is over, I can tell you some background info. What I have heard from a Microsoft guy: WP8 does not have FM Radio, because then haven't implemented it in time and in a reasonable quality, apparently it was low priority task when migrating form WinCE to WinRT. But there is a chance FMRadio will work again in later update :)