[CLOSED] [No longer maintained] [RECOVERY] [11] [OFFICIAL] TeamWin Recovery Project (8T / Kebab) (2022-03-09)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

theincognito

Feb 26, 2015
Xiaomi Pad 5 Pro
Google Pixel 7 Pro

Introduction:

Team Win Recovery Project or TWRP for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. We started from the ground up by taking AOSP recovery and loading it with the standard recovery options, then added a lot of our own features. It's a fully touch driven user interface , no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Key Features:

Touchscreen driven with real buttons and drag-to-scroll
XML-based GUI that allows full customization of the layout true theming!
Settings are saved to the sdcard and persist through reboots
Ability to choose which partitions to back up and which to restore
Ability to choose to compress backups now with pigz (multi-core processor support for faster compression times)
Onscreen keyboard
Easy selection of internal/external storage

In addition to the above new features, TWRP features a scripting engine that allows an app to send commands to the recovery for the recovery to perform during startup. We call this scripting engine OpenRecoveryScript. This engine will be put to use immediately in the GooManager app. GooManager will be able to install recoveries automatically for most supported devices. The app will also let you choose to install multiple zips from within Android, wipe, and run a backup.

We are looking for other talented developers, themers, and device maintainers if they are interested in helping with a free, open source project.

Source Code:

GitHub - https://github.com/TeamWin/android_bootable_recovery

Gerrit Instance - http://gerrit.twrp.me

If you have made your own TWRP build for an unsupported device, please let us know. We might add your build to the list of unofficial builds. Bear in mind that we are working hard to add more devices and we may add your device to our official build list later.

Hello, this is TWRP, for Oneplus 8T

Installation:
# To temporarily boot it
fastboot boot <twrp_file_name>.img

# Since 8T/9R has a separate recovery partition, you can flash the recovery with
fastboot flash recovery <twrp_file_name>.img

Updating to a newer build:
Simply flash the latest TWRP installer zip from TWRP

OR

Flash the img from TWRP/fastboot

FAQ/Know Bugs are given in post #2

Send me a beer, if you think I deserve it: PayPal

Huge thanks to:
@bigbiff (For everything :D 🥰 )
@Lossyx
@osm0sis
@Nebrassy
@Qnorsten

for helping in making this recovery. Without these people, TWRP for this device would not have been possible. :D

Special mention to a friend @apophis9283 :)

Trees:
Device: https://github.com/theincognito-inc/android_device_oneplus_kebab
Kernel: https://github.com/AOSPA/android_kernel_oneplus_sm8250

Download:

If you need a black themed TWRP (same TWRP as the above, but themed black), you can go to this thread:

Last edited:

theincognito

Feb 26, 2015
Xiaomi Pad 5 Pro
Google Pixel 7 Pro
FAQ and Known bugs of TWRP:

• If you are planning to switch to a custom ROM, and are currently on OOS/H2OS, format /data, switch slot, reboot to TWRP and then sideload/flash the ROM + installer.
  • It's better to flash ROM + TWRP installer, if you want to keep your TWRP after flashing a ROM.
  • Don't format /data, after a flashing a ROM, before the first reboot.
  • It takes around 50s to actually boot into TWRP.

Ideal way to flash:
  • For OOS to Custom ROM - Format /data, switch slot, reboot to TWRP, sideload/flash ROM + installer, reboot to TWRP, flash Magisk/Gapps. Reboot to system.
  • For Custom to Custom ROM - Format /data. Flash ROM + installer, reboot to TWRP, flash Magisk/Gapps. Reboot to system.
  • For updating a custom ROM - Flash ROM + installer, reboot to TWRP, flash Magisk/Gapps. Reboot to system
  • For custom ROM to OOS - Format /data. Flash ROM + installer, reboot to TWRP, flash Magisk. Reboot to system.

PS: After formatting /data, until the first time the device is booted to system, the files you send to phone via MTP (USB) will be at /data/media, not at /sdcard

PS2: If, for some reason, you cannot send files to phone after formatting /data and rebooting to TWRP, press vol +, vol - and power button simultaneously.

PS3: Factory reset WILL NOT wipe internal storage.

Last edited:

theincognito

Feb 26, 2015
Xiaomi Pad 5 Pro
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Steps for backing up and restoring data in TWRP (Huge thanks to @BillGoss )

TL;DR for data backup on custom ROMs:

1. Backup /data (copy the backup folder to PC if you will format /data).
  2. Flash the ROM and boot it once to system.
  3. Restore /data (copy the backup folder back from PC if you formatted in step 1) and boot into system.
  4. If you find any issues like missing navigation bar or blank screen or something, just do a normal reboot again to system.

System Backup and Restore
The "system" partitions on the OnePlus 8T are:
  • Boot
  • DTBO
  • Super which contains the logical system, system_ext, odm, product, and vendor partitions
Just backup and restore these partitions.
Do NOT backup/restore any of the logical partitions individually.

Data Backup
  1. Make sure USB debugging is enabled
  2. You do NOT need to remove your password

In TWRP
  1. Backup: Select only the Data partition.
  2. Reboot System

Restore
Remove the current password before starting the restore process by Settings>Security & Lock Screen>Screen lock: Select Swipe (if prompted tap on "Yes, remove")
If you don't do this, the system will not reboot properly after restoring.

This will also remove your fingerprint data and your lockscreen (encryption) password (you won't be prompted for a password in TWRP or when you restart the system)

In TWRP
  1. Wipe>Factory Reset
  2. Reboot System (this will rebuild the data partition)

Back in TWRP
  1. Restore: Select the backup you want to restore
  2. Remove the SIM card. If you don't do this the system won't boot properly.
  3. Reboot system, making sure the phone is not connected to a PC

Notes:
  1. At this point the phone will take longer than usual to boot - that's normal
  2. You will be presented with a blank screen
    • Connect the phone to a PC. You should be able to see the phone using adb devices
    • Disconnect the phone from the PC
  3. Hold the Power button down and select Restart

In System
  1. Settings>Security & Lock Screen>Screen lock: set your password
  2. Insert the SIM card
Note: Your fingerprints will have been restored because the backup was taken with the password set.

Last edited:

pratyush28

Oct 4, 2016
OnePlus 8T
Amazing! My OnePlus 8T is arriving tomorrow. Perfect timing for TWRP, thanks a lot for the detailed instructions as I am going to need it.

tyler19820201

Jun 19, 2011
London
I was flashing this twrp with the previous test_kebab twrp as flash .img. Choosing recovery partition and was thicking "install to both slots".
So far works good.

Last edited:

dpryor88

Nov 4, 2015
San Pedro
Google Pixel 3a
Google Pixel 4
@theincognito Though I am a fastboot flash guy at this point (honestly forgot how to even use TWRP after all this time), I appreciate all the work and time you (and apop) put in for this project. It's definitely going to make this device appeal to more Android enthusiasts as most are used to and prefer TWRP for flashing I've noticed. And that will lead to more development (hopefully) for the device. That seems to have been the case with previous devices I've owned that had TWRP available, but also had the fastboot method available.

Anyway, I have been up for like 32 hours, so if what I've said doesn't make much sense, sorry.

Thanks @theincognito for all your work and time, and I hope this brings more to the 8t community. Good job!

YumeMichi

Nov 22, 2015
Fuzhou
blog.ikke.moe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Introduction:

Team Win Recovery Project or TWRP for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. We started from the ground up by taking AOSP recovery and loading it with the standard recovery options, then added a lot of our own features. It's a fully touch driven user interface , no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Key Features:

Touchscreen driven with real buttons and drag-to-scroll
    XML-based GUI that allows full customization of the layout true theming!
    Settings are saved to the sdcard and persist through reboots
    Ability to choose which partitions to back up and which to restore
    Ability to choose to compress backups now with pigz (multi-core processor support for faster compression times)
    Onscreen keyboard
    Easy selection of internal/external storage

In addition to the above new features, TWRP features a scripting engine that allows an app to send commands to the recovery for the recovery to perform during startup. We call this scripting engine OpenRecoveryScript. This engine will be put to use immediately in the GooManager app. GooManager will be able to install recoveries automatically for most supported devices. The app will also let you choose to install multiple zips from within Android, wipe, and run a backup.

We are looking for other talented developers, themers, and device maintainers if they are interested in helping with a free, open source project.

Source Code:

GitHub - https://github.com/TeamWin/android_bootable_recovery

Gerrit Instance - http://gerrit.twrp.me

If you have made your own TWRP build for an unsupported device, please let us know. We might add your build to the list of unofficial builds. Bear in mind that we are working hard to add more devices and we may add your device to our official build list later.

Hello, this is TWRP, for Oneplus 8T

Installation:
    # To temporarily boot it
    fastboot boot <twrp_file_name>.img

# Since 8T/9R has a separate recovery partition, you can flash the recovery with
    fastboot flash recovery <twrp_file_name>.img

Updating to a newer build:
    Simply flash the latest TWRP installer zip from TWRP

OR

Flash the img from TWRP/fastboot

FAQ/Know Bugs are given in post #2

Send me a beer, if you think I deserve it: PayPal

Huge thanks to:
    @bigbiff (For everything :D 🥰 )
    @Lossyx
    @osm0sis
    @Nebrassy
    @Qnorsten

for helping in making this recovery. Without these people, TWRP for this device would not have been possible. :D

Special mention to a friend @apophis9283 :)

Trees:
    Device: https://github.com/theincognito-inc/android_device_oneplus_kebab
    Kernel: https://github.com/AOSPA/android_kernel_oneplus_sm8250

Download:

If you need a black themed TWRP (same TWRP as the above, but themed black), you can go to this thread:
    FAQ and Known bugs of TWRP:

• If you are planning to switch to a custom ROM, and are currently on OOS/H2OS, format /data, switch slot, reboot to TWRP and then sideload/flash the ROM + installer.
    • It's better to flash ROM + TWRP installer, if you want to keep your TWRP after flashing a ROM.
    • Don't format /data, after a flashing a ROM, before the first reboot.
    • It takes around 50s to actually boot into TWRP.

Ideal way to flash:
    • For OOS to Custom ROM - Format /data, switch slot, reboot to TWRP, sideload/flash ROM + installer, reboot to TWRP, flash Magisk/Gapps. Reboot to system.
    • For Custom to Custom ROM - Format /data. Flash ROM + installer, reboot to TWRP, flash Magisk/Gapps. Reboot to system.
    • For updating a custom ROM - Flash ROM + installer, reboot to TWRP, flash Magisk/Gapps. Reboot to system
    • For custom ROM to OOS - Format /data. Flash ROM + installer, reboot to TWRP, flash Magisk. Reboot to system.

PS: After formatting /data, until the first time the device is booted to system, the files you send to phone via MTP (USB) will be at /data/media, not at /sdcard

PS2: If, for some reason, you cannot send files to phone after formatting /data and rebooting to TWRP, press vol +, vol - and power button simultaneously.

PS3: Factory reset WILL NOT wipe internal storage.
    Steps for backing up and restoring data in TWRP (Huge thanks to @BillGoss )

TL;DR for data backup on custom ROMs:

1. Backup /data (copy the backup folder to PC if you will format /data).
    2. Flash the ROM and boot it once to system.
    3. Restore /data (copy the backup folder back from PC if you formatted in step 1) and boot into system.
    4. If you find any issues like missing navigation bar or blank screen or something, just do a normal reboot again to system.

System Backup and Restore
    The "system" partitions on the OnePlus 8T are:
    • Boot
    • DTBO
    • Super which contains the logical system, system_ext, odm, product, and vendor partitions
    Just backup and restore these partitions.
    Do NOT backup/restore any of the logical partitions individually.

Data Backup
    1. Make sure USB debugging is enabled
    2. You do NOT need to remove your password

In TWRP
    1. Backup: Select only the Data partition.
    2. Reboot System

Restore
    Remove the current password before starting the restore process by Settings>Security & Lock Screen>Screen lock: Select Swipe (if prompted tap on "Yes, remove")
    If you don't do this, the system will not reboot properly after restoring.

This will also remove your fingerprint data and your lockscreen (encryption) password (you won't be prompted for a password in TWRP or when you restart the system)

In TWRP
    1. Wipe>Factory Reset
    2. Reboot System (this will rebuild the data partition)

Back in TWRP
    1. Restore: Select the backup you want to restore
    2. Remove the SIM card. If you don't do this the system won't boot properly.
    3. Reboot system, making sure the phone is not connected to a PC

Notes:
    1. At this point the phone will take longer than usual to boot - that's normal
    2. You will be presented with a blank screen
      • Connect the phone to a PC. You should be able to see the phone using adb devices
      • Disconnect the phone from the PC
    3. Hold the Power button down and select Restart

In System
    1. Settings>Security & Lock Screen>Screen lock: set your password
    2. Insert the SIM card
    Note: Your fingerprints will have been restored because the backup was taken with the password set.
    New build released - 20210726 (Kebab only)

Changelog:

1. Removed 9R support
    2. Fixed the TWRP screen overlapping with the notch
    3. Various mount errors while flashing ROMs should be gone now (atleast my testers think so)
    4. Latest upstream changes
    5. Removed AOSPA kernel, and updated to latest LOS kernel
    Download links:

IMG: twrp-3.5.2_11-0-kebab-20210726-alpha
    Installer: twrp-installer-3.5.2_11-0-kebab-20210726-alpha

As always, links are updated in the OP too.
    Hello fellow 8T users: It's the end of the road for me, being the TWRP maintainer for 8T. I no longer possess 8T with me and have got a new device.

Reasons for this were basically just one:- Personal life got in the way, hard.

Thank you everyone for all the support you did, especially @BillGoss , @osm0sis and @bigbiff

If anyone else wanna step up and continue maintaining this device, please feel free to ping me or @bigbiff

Ciao!

To the mods: Please keep this thread open, until a new maintainer is found.