[NO LONGER SUPPORTED][GUIDE] How to Triple Boot CM9, WebOS, and Arch Linux

Search This thread

MikeCriggs

Recognized Dev / Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 24, 2010
Catskills, NY
twitter.com
ATTENTION!

This guide is outdated and I can no longer support it as I no longer own an HP Touchpad.

Disclaimer

This guide is intended for users who already have a Cyanogenmod firmware dual-booting with WebOS via Moboot. I, in no way shape or form, take any credit for this. I am simply posting this as a simple, step-by-step guide on how to triple boot (as there aren't any that I have found in this section). All credits go to their respective developers. I am in no way, shape, or form anything beyond an amateur developer who happens to be an advanced Linux and Android user. Also, I cannot be held liable for any issues you may encounter while or after following this guide.

Original Arch Linux port post can be found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1364034

Obvious Bugs and Things That Don't Work

-Wifi signal is a bit weak
-Camera
-Sound
-Microphone
-Bluetooth (apparently there's a fix for this floating around one of the Ubuntu threads)
-Compositing
-Multi-touch (no right click :/)

Prerequisites

-Cyanogenmod (Touchpad)
-Moboot (Touchpad)
-Novacom Driver (computer)
-Novaterm (computer)
-WebOS SDK (computer)

On Your Touchpad...

-Boot into WebOS
-Connect to your computer via USB (do NOT select USB Drive mode)
-At the home screen in the "Just Type..." search bar, type the following:

Code:
webos20090606

-You will see "Developer Mode" in the search results, open it and turn the toggle in the right hand corner of the card on
-Now stop touching it and get onto your computer

On Your Computer...

-Open Novaterm (if you are running a Linux distribution, this can simply be done in a terminal by becoming root and executing the command "novaterm"
-Now let's make some terminal love!

Mount the boot directory as readable/writable:
Code:
mount -o rw,remount /boot

Change directories to the boot directory:
Code:
cd /boot

CURL!
Code:
curl -O http://archlinuxarm.org/mirror/touchpad/uImage.ArchLinuxARM

CURL AGAIN!
Code:
curl -O http://archlinuxarm.org/mirror/touchpad/moboot.splash.ArchLinuxARM.tga

Change directories to the temporary directory:
Code:
cd /tmp

Kill this process thing!
Code:
pkill -SIGUSR1 cryptofs

Unmount the internal media:
Code:
umount /media/internal

ECHO!
Code:
echo

Resize to make room for Arch (I suggest at least 3000M, but no more than 4000M)
Code:
resizefat /dev/store/media 3000M

Resize partition:
Code:
lvm.static lvresize -L -4096M /dev/store/media

Make a new partition:
Code:
lvm.static lvcreate -L 4096M -n arch-root store

EXT3!
Code:
mkfs.ext3 /dev/store/arch-root

Let's make a directory called "linux":
Code:
mkdir linux

Mount linux:
Code:
mount /dev/store/arch-root linux

Change directories to linux!
Code:
cd linux

CURL AGAIN!
Code:
curl -O http://archlinuxarm.org/mirror/touchpad/ArchLinuxARM-touchpad-2011.12-alpha2.tar.gz

Untar! (this will take a bit...)
Code:
tar xzf ArchLinuxARM-touchpad-2011.12-alpha2.tar.gz

Well... we don't need that tarball anymore, so...
Code:
rm ArchLinuxARM-touchpad-2011.12-alpha2.tar.gz

CHANGE DIRECTORY!!!!
Code:
cd ..

Unmount the linux directory:
Code:
umount linux

Reboot! (You may have to do this a few times, you may get errors... you may keep trying?!)
Code:
reboot

Love Thy Arch

That's it, you're done. I advise opening a terminal once you're booted and updating the system with the "pacman -Syu" command (it definitely improves touch screen a bunch).

???
Profit

Last edited:

StephenMilone

Nov 10, 2009
New York
i'm getting a curl error 6 that it cant resolve dns archlinuxarm.org

i can goto the site in a browser and nslookup works in another terminal...

does my tablet need to be on wifi for this?

edit: it sure does.

Last edited:

djgavb

Mar 28, 2009
In what way would this guide change to install ubuntu instead.? Thsnks

Sent from my XT910 using XDA App

StephenMilone

Nov 10, 2009
New York
added archlinux to my previous dual booting touchpad yesterday and i can no longer write to my external storage now!

I boot into webos and connect via usb I can still see my files but can't write

and CM9 can't see the partition at all....please help!

If i have to delete them, it's okay, but i just want it to work again in android. thanks in advance

zcrugby

May 15, 2011
getting this error on the very first CURL curl: (23) Failed writing body (714 != 4880)

Solidus_n313

Jul 3, 2010
Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
i encountered MANY MANY issues trying to install this with my previous install of CM9...

had CWM, WebOS, CM9. still failed on many attempts to install from nova.

its best practice to doctor, install cm9, THEN follow these steps, will install perfectly! using right now :)

only issue im having is pacman command wont run, even with sudo, continuing to troubleshoot

edit** hmmm...after first reboot, arch refuses to load, and my CM9 wont display "sd" card to check uImage.archlinuxarm for commands/paths, same djxstream. WebOS internalz wont install either to view on touchpad :/

Last edited:

zcrugby

May 15, 2011
got it to work. i didnt have some dependencies installed. How do you bring up the keyboard to type in the terminal?

edit: ok found it.

---------- Post added at 04:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 AM ----------

i encountered MANY MANY issues trying to install this with my previous install of CM9...

had CWM, WebOS, CM9. still failed on many attempts to install from nova.

its best practice to doctor, install cm9, THEN follow these steps, will install perfectly! using right now :)

only issue im having is pacman command wont run, even with sudo, continuing to troubleshoot

edit** hmmm...after first reboot, arch refuses to load, and my CM9 wont display "sd" card to check uImage.archlinuxarm for commands/paths, same djxstream. WebOS internalz wont install either to view on touchpad :/
did you make sure u were connected to the internet? it worked for me with sudo

Last edited:

Solidus_n313

Jul 3, 2010
Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
got it to work. i didnt have some dependencies installed. How do you bring up the keyboard to type in the terminal?

edit: ok found it.

---------- Post added at 04:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 AM ----------

did you make sure u were connected to the internet? it worked for me with sudo

yeah, got it running after setting up wifi, took like 2 min after posting that, but arch still isnt loading :/

savage24x

Jul 5, 2011
I installed XServer and XTerm and Ubuntu Chroot, then got LXDE on there. It runs fine, but I used WebOS Doctor to make a 4GB EXT partition by editing a text file in Linux. I followed a tutorial to do this awhile back. Now I want to tri-boot the actual 0.0.4 Ubuntu, CM9, and WebOS. 1. Is this even possible? 2. Will the 4GB EXT interfere with anything and what do I have to do to that partition?

netkillercat

Oct 31, 2010
works just fine the instruction a perfect thanks

did try to install applications but no go anyone get firefox or chrome installed ?

netkillercat

Oct 31, 2010
unistall arch just in case arch sh

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/68908006/ArchUninstall.sh

anyone want to give it a go see if it works for you
anyone having problems with install can try this and then rerun the install instructions lol just saying hope this helps other people it worked for me but do it at your own risk
i just mod it from other distro unistall sh

run this from webos in terminal

cd /media/internal
cp ArchUninstall.sh /tmp
cd /tmp
sh ArchUninstall.sh

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeCriggs

MikeCriggs

Recognized Dev / Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 24, 2010
Catskills, NY
twitter.com
For anyone having issues with installing apparently, run "pacman -Syu". If it doesn't work, please post your output here.

Sent from my htc_shooter using XDA

mtjnkee

Feb 4, 2009
Jackson, ms
Bluetooth/Wifi

k, got it going, had to start from SCRATCH. wiped partitions, rebuild, doctor to 3.0.0, installed CM9 then arch-linux.

runs great! just working on getting BT running (post 254):
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1304475&page=26

Anyone tried this?:

sudo depmod -a
sudo gedit /etc/modules
sudo update-rc.d bcattach_srv defaults
sudo reboot

That is the fix for the UBU install, just checking to see if this works on a TP with Arch already installed. I just havent gotten around to installing this yet but want all my ducks in a row for when I do. Thanks.

This may even help the already working WIFI.

edit: After the second command, a text editor should open up. Add "ath6kl" without the quotes to the bottom of the file, push save, close the editor, and go on the the next commands. If the touchscreen stops responding, hold power and home until the device turns off and boot back into Ubuntu and try again. It's a known bug. The last command should reboot the device again. Boot back into Ubuntu and you should have working wifi and bluetooth.

ORIG post :http://code.google.com/p/hp-touchpad-ubuntu/wiki/Installation <===THANKS!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeCriggs

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ATTENTION!

This guide is outdated and I can no longer support it as I no longer own an HP Touchpad.

Disclaimer

This guide is intended for users who already have a Cyanogenmod firmware dual-booting with WebOS via Moboot. I, in no way shape or form, take any credit for this. I am simply posting this as a simple, step-by-step guide on how to triple boot (as there aren't any that I have found in this section). All credits go to their respective developers. I am in no way, shape, or form anything beyond an amateur developer who happens to be an advanced Linux and Android user. Also, I cannot be held liable for any issues you may encounter while or after following this guide.

Original Arch Linux port post can be found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1364034

Obvious Bugs and Things That Don't Work

-Wifi signal is a bit weak
    -Camera
    -Sound
    -Microphone
    -Bluetooth (apparently there's a fix for this floating around one of the Ubuntu threads)
    -Compositing
    -Multi-touch (no right click :/)

Prerequisites

-Cyanogenmod (Touchpad)
    -Moboot (Touchpad)
    -Novacom Driver (computer)
    -Novaterm (computer)
    -WebOS SDK (computer)

On Your Touchpad...

-Boot into WebOS
    -Connect to your computer via USB (do NOT select USB Drive mode)
    -At the home screen in the "Just Type..." search bar, type the following:

Code:
    webos20090606

-You will see "Developer Mode" in the search results, open it and turn the toggle in the right hand corner of the card on
    -Now stop touching it and get onto your computer

On Your Computer...

-Open Novaterm (if you are running a Linux distribution, this can simply be done in a terminal by becoming root and executing the command "novaterm"
    -Now let's make some terminal love!

Mount the boot directory as readable/writable:
    Code:
    mount -o rw,remount /boot

Change directories to the boot directory:
    Code:
    cd /boot

CURL!
    Code:
    curl -O http://archlinuxarm.org/mirror/touchpad/uImage.ArchLinuxARM

CURL AGAIN!
    Code:
    curl -O http://archlinuxarm.org/mirror/touchpad/moboot.splash.ArchLinuxARM.tga

Change directories to the temporary directory:
    Code:
    cd /tmp

Kill this process thing!
    Code:
    pkill -SIGUSR1 cryptofs

Unmount the internal media:
    Code:
    umount /media/internal

ECHO!
    Code:
    echo

Resize to make room for Arch (I suggest at least 3000M, but no more than 4000M)
    Code:
    resizefat /dev/store/media 3000M

Resize partition:
    Code:
    lvm.static lvresize -L -4096M /dev/store/media

Make a new partition:
    Code:
    lvm.static lvcreate -L 4096M -n arch-root store

EXT3!
    Code:
    mkfs.ext3 /dev/store/arch-root

Let's make a directory called "linux":
    Code:
    mkdir linux

Mount linux:
    Code:
    mount /dev/store/arch-root linux

Change directories to linux!
    Code:
    cd linux

CURL AGAIN!
    Code:
    curl -O http://archlinuxarm.org/mirror/touchpad/ArchLinuxARM-touchpad-2011.12-alpha2.tar.gz

Untar! (this will take a bit...)
    Code:
    tar xzf ArchLinuxARM-touchpad-2011.12-alpha2.tar.gz

Well... we don't need that tarball anymore, so...
    Code:
    rm ArchLinuxARM-touchpad-2011.12-alpha2.tar.gz

CHANGE DIRECTORY!!!!
    Code:
    cd ..

Unmount the linux directory:
    Code:
    umount linux

Reboot! (You may have to do this a few times, you may get errors... you may keep trying?!)
    Code:
    reboot

Love Thy Arch

That's it, you're done. I advise opening a terminal once you're booted and updating the system with the "pacman -Syu" command (it definitely improves touch screen a bunch).

???
    Profit
    worked like a CHARM took forever to download and untar but its PERFECT thanks bro
    k, got it going, had to start from SCRATCH. wiped partitions, rebuild, doctor to 3.0.0, installed CM9 then arch-linux.

unistall arch just in case arch sh

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/68908006/ArchUninstall.sh

anyone want to give it a go see if it works for you
    anyone having problems with install can try this and then rerun the install instructions lol just saying hope this helps other people it worked for me but do it at your own risk
    i just mod it from other distro unistall sh

run this from webos in terminal

cd /media/internal
    cp ArchUninstall.sh /tmp
    cd /tmp
    sh ArchUninstall.sh
    Bluetooth/Wifi

Anyone tried this?:

sudo depmod -a
    sudo gedit /etc/modules
    sudo update-rc.d bcattach_srv defaults
    sudo reboot

That is the fix for the UBU install, just checking to see if this works on a TP with Arch already installed. I just havent gotten around to installing this yet but want all my ducks in a row for when I do. Thanks.

This may even help the already working WIFI.

edit: After the second command, a text editor should open up. Add "ath6kl" without the quotes to the bottom of the file, push save, close the editor, and go on the the next commands. If the touchscreen stops responding, hold power and home until the device turns off and boot back into Ubuntu and try again. It's a known bug. The last command should reboot the device again. Boot back into Ubuntu and you should have working wifi and bluetooth.

ORIG post :http://code.google.com/p/hp-touchpad-ubuntu/wiki/Installation <===THANKS!!!