No more security updates

Search This thread
I just read that the original Pixel and Pixel XL will be getting no more monthly security updates. Will this send you shopping for a new(er) phone? When I had Motorola phones, they were almost never up-to-date with security updates. I guess going a few months without an update isn't the end of the world. Once it's more than 6 months past due, I'll probably start shopping for something more recent. I do love this phone though.

lpen2146

Oct 11, 2016
I just read that the original Pixel and Pixel XL will be getting no more monthly security updates. Will this send you shopping for a new(er) phone? When I had Motorola phones, they were almost never up-to-date with security updates. I guess going a few months without an update isn't the end of the world. Once it's more than 6 months past due, I'll probably start shopping for something more recent. I do love this phone though.
Looks like one last update in December that will include Nov and Dec security patches. Probably do the same as you and replace or maybe flash a custom ROM not sure. Pixel 3a XL looks tempting.

lafester

Feb 11, 2007
Looks like one last update in December that will include Nov and Dec security patches. Probably do the same as you and replace or maybe flash a custom ROM not sure. Pixel 3a XL looks tempting.
I just got a 3xl and it is pretty nice. I suppose the 3a would also be a good option.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: ZanDyne

lpen2146

Oct 11, 2016
I just got a 3xl and it is pretty nice. I suppose the 3a would also be a good option.
I noticed you can get open box or refurbished 3xl for $350-380 range and roughly same for 3axl. So not sure which one I would get. I replaced battery on my XL about 8 months ago an phone is still a strong performer so can't justify getting rid of just yet.

lafester

Feb 11, 2007
I know... It is still a great phone. I passed it along so it will stay in the family for awhile yet.

ithehappy

May 5, 2008
Calcutta
Google Pixel 2 XL
I will definitely wait till the Pixel 4a release, see, and come to a decision. If they bring UFS back then I will purchase it. I see no point in upgrading to a Pixel 3, let alone a 3a. With a phone in OG Pixel's calibre, one should be able to skip three generations at least. What a pity, Google stopped the support, for a perfectly capable phone.

I never bothered with them security patches anyway, only flashed every three months or so. So running an outdated device in terms of security for six months is really nothing.

flash713

May 7, 2015
Google Pixel 6
I'll hold off upgrading and use stock custom roms for the security patches, then hopefully the Pixel 4a/XL is a reality this coming May. If not, I'll just wait it out for the Pixel 5/XL.

+1! Same. :D
But I always use custom roms anyway. I hope a 4axl drops that's around 3-$400.

Everyone always makes a HUGE deal out of security patches. I don't think its such a big deal. Wasn't long ago that Google made some kinda statement saying nobody could hack their security patch and if so then they'd pay whoever did it 5k. Some kid did it a few days after google made the statement. I mean sure it makes us a tad more vulnerable but who hasn't gotten email or social media compromised before? I think we are good. ?

(Edit)

Last edited:

hudhacks

Dec 23, 2011
Scottsdale
I'll hold off upgrading and use stock custom roms for the security patches, then hopefully the Pixel 4a/XL is a reality this coming May. If not, I'll just wait it out for the Pixel 5/XL.
+1 Really have no reason to get a new phone, Pixel XL just works. This is the first phone I've not needed to use a custom Rom since getting the OG Droid way back when. Pixel 4 w/o finger print does not thrill me.

So, any Rom recommendations [emoji6]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

+1 Really have no reason to get a new phone, Pixel XL just works. This is the first phone I've not needed to use a custom Rom since getting the OG Droid way back when. Pixel 4 w/o finger print does not thrill me.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

UNOFFICIAL Lineage 17 is likely my choice, but I'm waiting for it to go "Official" before I jump in and some minor bugs get ironed out.

Reactions: hudhacks

ZanDyne

Dec 7, 2015
Hi I am looking to make the same upgrade

Can you please tell me how does the 3 perform in comparison to the og pixel especially in camera battery and volume of speakers

flash713

May 7, 2015
Google Pixel 6

Google search "DU rom" and use latest pie build for marlin from August under official tab.... It may be Pie but I've already flashed to Android 10 and to me Pie is better, for now anyway. Many Substratum themes work better because they haven't been updated and looks like many that are pie compatible aren't going to be... I use Alined substratum theme on DU 13.5. I have found no bugs whatsoever. Rock solid stable and awesome battery and performance!! DU has always been a favorite of mine. ?

Sent from my marlin using XDA Labs

kartikb

Jun 30, 2010
Auckland
Does being on Custom Rom still offer unlimited original quality Google Photo Storage for this phone. I'm keeping this phone due to this reason only, having unlimited original quality upload. Thinking of buying a new phone but somehow having it so photos get uploaded from my Pixel XL. Bit of a task I guess but well worth it imo.

350Rocket

Dec 11, 2010
I know this is off topic, but there isn't a lot of traffic here anymore and most of the og pixel XL users here are probably in this discussion.... Do you guys have issues with your autorotation and auto brightness on the pixel XL?

I love the pixel XL I bought except for these 2 issues. It can't figure out the screen brightness or the autorotation. Stock room, not rooted. I went back to the OnePlus 5 for dual Sims and the second OnePlus 5 I got was just like the first one I killed in saltwater. Perfect Auto rotate and auto brightness. The pixel has slightly better camera, smoothness and was better about updates (OnePlus 5 is still on pie until spring of 2020). But overall I like the OnePlus better (for a few reasons but the biggest is the auto rotate and auto brightness or only semi functional on my pixel XL. Maybe it's just my unit?

Top Liked Posts