• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

No Netflix, no Amazon Prime Video

Search This thread

DF5JT

Sep 15, 2010
Vienna
I had my tablet reset and installed from scratch yesterday. It restored my apps from my google account and both Netflix and Amazon Prime were installed.

Weird: Netflix was installed, but once I click on it, it says that it's incompatible with this version, please Update. I can't update, because it doesn't even turn up in the play store. Amazon Prime Video starts, shows available content in HD, a movie plays, but only audio, no video, just a black screen. DRM info said that it's L1 security, so everything should work in terms of DRM.

However, PlayStore says that the device is Uncertified. Disabling, clearing data and cache didn't make a change.

System Software is up to date and I have no idea where to start looking.

DF5JT

Sep 15, 2010
Vienna
Just to make sure that this is not the culprit, I made a full reset of the device AND relocked the bootloader, so this should be a device like factory new.

Yet, PlayStore uncertified, no Netflix, black picture in Amazon Prime HD. I am really tempted to just throw this device out of the window.

CrazyPeter

Sep 1, 2010
Just to make sure that this is not the culprit, I made a full reset of the device AND relocked the bootloader, so this should be a device like factory new.

Yet, PlayStore uncertified, no Netflix, black picture in Amazon Prime HD. I am really tempted to just throw this device out of the window.

Never assume relocking bootloader makes it stock.

Efuses and DRM keysxare common, and once they are blown/wiped, it's game over, you will never return to stock

mroshaw

Nov 22, 2008
Elstead
www.ollerenshaw-it.com
You do have something to back your assumption up with, say, facts?
The fact that you've unlocked, relocked but Playstore says uncertified and you're having these problems?

Don't have a go at someone trying to help you out, fella. CrazyPeter is only suggesting the possibility that once you're unlocked, that's it: it's highly possible that "re-locking" doesn't undo something that's used by apps to detect non-stock. It's not for him to prove that's true, he's only trying to help. You should have done your own research before unlocking.

oldpoem

Nov 2, 2004
Honor View20
I'd been through this before too. If you unlocked bootloader, your tablet will fail safetynet test. Playstore wouldn't let you install or update netflix.

I tried relock bootloader and it passed safetynet, Netflix will come up in Playstore and allowed to install. It worked fine with HD streaming. You have to make sure to start from scratch and don't restore from backup after relock bootloader (which factory reset your device anyway)

I went with supposedly best solution, unlocked bootloader , stay with stock recovery and just fastboot patched ramdisk for magisk installation. In the end magisk would make your device pass safetynet and can install netflix and works fine. Also you can recieve an OTA update, and can always patch magisk again on new build.

Don't know about primevideo since I don't use t.

G

GuestK00136

.....I went with supposedly best solution, unlocked bootloader , stay with stock recovery and just fastboot patched ramdisk for magisk installation. In the end magisk would make your device pass safetynet and can install netflix and works fine. Also you can recieve an OTA update, and can always patch magisk again on new build.

Don't know about primevideo since I don't use t.

This is the solution I followed when I initially unlocked my bootloader.

Hulu, Amazon Prime and Netflix all work.

Last edited:

lirong

Feb 21, 2012
whih device was this on?
a US device (WIFI only?) or an international/Chinese device with LTE/4G?

I am about to purchase a Chinese version in order to get LTE and I am wondering whether I will be unable to download and watch netflix?

reubenray

Jul 26, 2010
South Alabama
I got my CMR-W09 (wifi) tablet today and I can confirm it plays Amazon Prime and Vudu in HD. I don't have an account with Netflix so I could not check it. The Vudu app shows that some of my movies in my wishlist are in UHD (4K). I did not check being I would have to pay for them.

lambgx02

Jul 26, 2008
Montreal
Seems so bizarre to me that Google, Netflix, Amazon, etc., would be encouraging piracy by banning their paying customers from using the service. I'm honestly at a loss for words.

I had this issue on my Note 3, which can't pass SafetyNet as it's under my control, not Google's. When Netflix started requiring SafetyNet, I emailed for a confirmation. That was the end of our 9 year business relationship; I am no longer a customer.

I subscribed to YouTube Red, as (ironically) they still seem to value their engineering customers. However, should they follow suit, that business relationship will end as well, and I'll find someone else to spend my money with.

I know it can be tough, but I do encourage everyone affected by DRM to cancel their subscriptions, and take their business elsewhere.

If you do, just make sure you contact the company's Sales / Marketing team (definitely not tech support!). Explain to them in very clear, polite terms exactly why you'll be switching to their competitor, and that you'll be back if they ever decide to correct the situation.

Last edited:

nstirton

Mar 20, 2011
Edinburgh
I'm also completely stock (never been rooted etc) and exact same issues with Amazon Video.

Only thing that might cause issues is my ad blocker (Adclear), but having uninstalled that I have the same issue.

I'd be keen to know if you resolve as Google searches don't throw up much, and unfortunately the thread I started hasn't produced any solutions either!

nstirton

Mar 20, 2011
Edinburgh
So..... I was on the phone to Amazon support and was playing with my settings....

I use a "corner round" app to make the tablet screen more visually appealing - as soon as I disable it, Prime Video works!

So, if you have anything that creates a screen overlay, try disabling it and using Netflix / Prime video. Give it a try!

Best,