No root and want to modify your DPI? You can!

Search This thread

iSlaker

Apr 9, 2008
London & Rio de Janeiro
I know this thread is quite old and apparently dead, but I'd be mostly grateful if anyone knows a solution to this problem. I changed the DPI to 520 via terminal and it's all fine except for the fact that I am losing a lot of screen real estate on the home screen and the app drawer. any ideas?

Screenshot_2016_05_30_20_22_29.jpg
Screenshot_2016_05_30_20_21_18.jpg

iSlaker

Apr 9, 2008
London & Rio de Janeiro
Just use another launcher. I use nova launcher.

thanks but, no launchers for me, thanks. with a 3rd party launcher I know that the stock one will still be running in the background and consuming resources. as far as I know there isn't a launcher that stops the stock one completely, is there?

I think the settings for the width and height for the home screen icons area as well as the apps drawer is in a file. I don't know which one and I was hoping someone would know that. I may create a new thread just for that.

jvtrigo

May 14, 2013
thanks but, no launchers for me, thanks. with a 3rd party launcher I know that the stock one will still be running in the background and consuming resources. as far as I know there isn't a launcher that stops the stock one completely, is there?

I think the settings for the width and height for the home screen icons area as well as the apps drawer is in a file. I don't know which one and I was hoping someone would know that. I may create a new thread just for that.

But to change that you need to have root access. This tread is about changing dpi without root access. If you are rooted I would try Note 5 or galaxy S7 launcher they may work.

fahed2000

Feb 25, 2006
London
so changing the dpi using this method doesnt affect the knox counter? also anyone can comment if this works on marshmallow

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Make use of that super saturated 2k panel!

1. Download the Android SDK
    2. Extract it to a desired location
    3. Navigate through the extraction to SDK > Platform Tools
    4. SHIFT+RIGHT CLICK anywhere inside this folder and click "open command window here"
    6. Make sure you have the correct drivers for your phone
    5. Turn on USB Debugging and plug your phone into the computer
    6. Tell your phone to trust the computer
    7. In the command window, run the following command but replace *** with the desired DPI (I use 540)
    • Adb shell wm density ***
    8. Reboot phone to have changes fully take effect.

D7JfjnZ.png
    COgq5LO.png

mOLerXw.png
    R6AZe3m.png
    Thanks, added to the No-Root thread. :)

A suggestion: you don't need to download and set up the whole Android SDK. You could use this tool that will install ADB, which is all you need.
    Isn't 640 DPI better than 540? What do you gain from changing it to less dots per inch? Bit of a n00b since I always left displays stock on phones.

The setting determines what size the phone will make elements on the screen.
    If the DPI setting is low like that, the device thinks it's a tablet and will scale things smaller for the bigger screen.
    The device knows the screen's resolution. The device needs a setting to scale screen elements to a good size for the size of the screen.
    So lower DPI effectively tricks the phone into thinking the screen is bigger than 5.7" and scales elements smaller for the bigger screen.
    I also found this. "adb shell wm density reset" will reset back to default. "adb shell wm size" will display current resolution and "adb shell wm size 3200x1800" (or other values) will simulate other resolutions. I'm currently playing around with combinations of resolution and density to trigger tablet layout in programs without having the resolution so small. The "reset" command on either will reset back to default.
    Isn't 640 DPI better than 540? What do you gain from changing it to less dots per inch? Bit of a n00b since I always left displays stock on phones.

It changes the dots per inch.

The benefit is you can fit way more stuff on the screen and force apps into tablet mode on a non tablet device.

E. G. Dpi is 640 and the dialer may display 5 contacts. You change the DPI to 540 and it may display 7-8 on the same screen. It is almost necessary with a phone this big unless you have bad eye site because the phone utilizes the screen real estate so badly in Stock dpis