[NO-ROOT] Any Third Party "Launcher" - TV Launcher

Search This thread

antonio1475

May 29, 2010
Hi all!

As you may know, the Remix Mini (or maybe it's Remix OS) doesn't allow the use of third party launchers, so we're stuck with the default one always. Yes, it's beautiful and useful, but if you have it on the TV, it's not so great.

So, very easily, I got a third party launcher to work on the Mini without root. In this case, a gorgeous TV style one, but anyone can work (I tried Apex too). Google TV Launcher doesn't work, but I didn't spend time on it: I think it only works on specific devices.

Finally, now it looks like this:
rhlt2d.png

Heads-up: No wallpaper support (black wallpaper by default). You won't be able to have a wallpaper, unless the launcher itself is able to set one independently from the system. For example, TVLauncher has a setting for this, and it's now black (yay!).

How to do it (non-detailed guide):
PART 1: MAKING THE LAUNCHER A NORMAL APP
The thing is, there is a line on the androidmanifest.xml on the launcher apps that says it's a Home (Launcher), so the Remix reads that and blocks the app. Let's fix that:

1. Get the apk of the launcher. Go to APKMirror, or download it on any device, find the apk on the /data/app folder, and send it to your computer.
2. Decompile the apk. For those who don't know what this is, it's not so difficult: Google, and use apktool or similar. There is a lot of info! :)
3. With a text editor, open the Androidmanifest.xml file.
4. Find the lines that are: <category android:name="android.intent.category.HOME" /> --> Ctrl+F: ".home" to find them
5. Delete them. Save the file.
6. Recompile the apk
7. Sign the apk --> I use an app called ZipSigner on the Android device (Remix Mini) itself. Much easier!

PART 2: INSTALL IT ON THE MINI
8. Transfer it to the Remix Mini
9. Install it (find it through the file manager). Easy!

PART 3: MAKING IT THE "HOME/DEFAULT" LAUNCHER
Ok, so we got the app now, and you can open it as any app. But if you press the home button, you go to the desktop.
10. Install Buttons remapper (no root), or whatever you prefer.
11. Open it and add a remapping:
i) Click the "+" button
ii) On Key: select HOME
iii) On Action: select Other... --> Open app --> TVLauncher (or your preferred launcher)

PART 4 (optional): MAKING IT LAUNCH AT STARTUP
12. Install AutoStart - No root or similar.
13. Add your launcher to the list of apps that need to be launched at startup. On the delay, you can set 0. If it doesn't work (Apex was fine, but TVLauncher wouldn't), set it to 2.

You got it. Now, you press the HOME key on your keyboard/remote, and you go to your launcher!

If you have any comments or improvement, please let me know! It's not the perfect method, but it works pretty fine!! With a TV style remote (I bought a Rii i7 Mini), it now looks and feels like a real TV Box!

:)

Last edited:

antonio1475

May 29, 2010
Will it work on android 4.4, by any chance?
I'm willing to give it a try on my tv box.
That thing looks awesome. :D

Hi!

Does your TV Box block the installation of third party launchers? I posted this because Remix OS does...

The launcher app on the screenshot is called TVLauncher. It is gorgeous, and very useful. It has tiles available done by other users, so you save a lot of time.

If you can install any launcher, then you can install it right ahead (it's not mine, or have any relationship with the developer. I just tried them all, and this one was the only one that was beautiful and easy to use):
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.awe.dev.pro.tv&hl=en

pushux

Mar 3, 2014
Hi!

Does your TV Box block the installation of third party launchers? I posted this because Remix OS does...

The launcher app on the screenshot is called TVLauncher. It is gorgeous, and very useful. It has tiles available done by other users, so you save a lot of time.

If you can install any launcher, then you can install it right ahead (it's not mine, or have any relationship with the developer. I just tried them all, and this one was the only one that was beautiful and easy to use):

Thank for the update and the app itself. I most differently will give it a run once I will get home.
Will comeback with feedback.

:D

movieifx

Jan 10, 2009
Great tip. I've used it to put Apex launcher onto my desktop remix (I may experiment with TV launcher for those that are used more as TV boxes).

Nice to have widgets running on desktop! Only problem is that Apex doesnt show the wallpaper and I'm left with a black backdrop. Changing the wallpaper via Apex theme does affect the default launcher wallpaper.

wiking76

Feb 4, 2013
Hi all!

As you may know, the Remix Mini (or maybe it's Remix OS) doesn't allow the use of third party launchers, so we're stuck with the default one always. Yes, it's beautiful and useful, but if you have it on the TV, it's not so great.

So, very easily, I got a third party launcher to work on the Mini without root. In this case, a gorgeous TV style one, but anyone can work (I tried Apex too). Google TV Launcher doesn't work, but I didn't spend time on it: I think it only works on specific devices.
is this? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.leanbacklauncher&hl=it
ps. A stupid question: there's a reason to not release the final recompiled apk?

Last edited:

wiking76

Feb 4, 2013
i've found a good online decompiler (because apktool don't works on my pc) but not a recompiler.. can you do it for me?
ps. if i find a lot of Androidmanifest.xml file i must to edit all of them?

Last edited:

greatbal

Mar 18, 2006
I need help. I wanted to do this but having problem with re-building the apk.

I'm using apktool_2.2.1. The target apk file is successfully de-compiled. I edit the manifest file. But on re-building, i keep getting errors and was not successful.

Which version of apktool do you use successfully?

Anybody successfully modified Nova or Apex Launcher?

Last edited:

4llerbuntu

Jun 12, 2011
Redmi Note 8
Hi all!

rhlt2d.png

Heads-up: No wallpaper support (black wallpaper by default). You won't be able to have a wallpaper, unless the launcher itself is able to set one independently from the system. For example, TVLauncher has a setting for this, and it's now black (yay!).

The thing is, there is a line on the androidmanifest.xml on the launcher apps that says it's a Home (Launcher), so the Remix reads that and blocks the app. Let's fix that:

1. Get the apk of the launcher. Go to APKMirror, or download it on any device, find the apk on the /data/app folder, and send it to your computer.
2. Decompile the apk. For those who don't know what this is, it's not so difficult: Google, and use apktool or similar. There is a lot of info! :)
4. Find the lines that are: <category android:name="android.intent.category.HOME" /> --> Ctrl+F: ".home" to find them
6. Recompile the apk
7. Sign the apk --> I use an app called ZipSigner on the Android device (Remix Mini) itself. Much easier!

Ok, so we got the app now, and you can open it as any app. But if you press the home button, you go to the desktop.
i) Click the "+" button
iii) On Action: select Other... --> Open app --> TVLauncher (or your preferred launcher)

13. Add your launcher to the list of apps that need to be launched at startup. On the delay, you can set 0. If it doesn't work (Apex was fine, but TVLauncher wouldn't), set it to 2.

You got it. Now, you press the HOME key on your keyboard/remote, and you go to your launcher!

If you have any comments or improvement, please let me know! It's not the perfect method, but it works pretty fine!! With a TV style remote (I bought a Rii i7 Mini), it now looks and feels like a real TV Box!

Could you please share the modified APK?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all!

rhlt2d.png

6. Recompile the apk

i) Click the "+" button

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone