[No-Root][Fonts][EMUI 4.x & 5.x] Request fonts & Step by Step Guide to make your own

Search This thread

DarkAlpha.Sete

Oct 12, 2016
[No-Root][Fonts][EMUI 4.x & 5.x] Request fonts & Step by Step Guide to make your own

Fonts for EMUI
Important Information

This post will keep growing. It will start will just two fonts: "Open Sans" and "Roboto" (yes, I know Roboto is the default font of Android 4+, but here it is in case you want it). This will work in a very simple way: You suggest the font for me to add and I add it (the simple requirements are written below).

By the way, this post didn't have a guide in the start. Thanks to @leonardus_magnus for suggesting it.
If someone is using EMUI 3.x please tell me if any font doesn't work. I will do my best to fix it, but without any guarantees because I don't have any device with that version to test.

Screenshots of the fonts posted by me

Only the fonts that have the Bold style "naturally" will have their title in Bold.
po6Ef5o.jpg

D2WzV50.jpg

enygkqF.jpg

GpT7dvJ.jpg

A0gJrSZ.jpg

q6KlPWB.jpg

aMP9LXV.jpg

kz4myR3.jpg

AoL6IaK.jpg

tpkQLD9.jpg

6FuU2Sm.jpg

7iyicOY.jpg

Using custom fonts on EMUI 5

If you have EMUI 5, you will need to also follow this guide to use any font. (you don't need this for EMUI 4)

You will need:

• A computer, with Windows or Linux (can't say anything about MACs)
  • Android SDK Platform Tools (you actually just need ADB from there). Get them here: https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools.html
  • Your device drivers. They will be automatically installed when you connect your Huawei / Honor smartphone to your computer and install HiSuite.
After getting all that stuff, lets go!
  1. First of all, you need to activate Developer Options. To do that, Go to the Settings, scroll all the way down, and go to "About phone" and click some times on "Build number".
  2. After you have activated them, you will find an extra option in the Settings menu, called "Developer Options". Go there.
  3. Now, activate USB Debugging (you can freely deactivate it, and I recommend it, after doing this guide). Just scroll down until you find it.
  4. Connect the smartphone with a cable to your computer.
  5. Now you can go to where you downloaded the Android SDK Platform Tools and extract them to where you want.
  6. Open a Terminal / Command Prompt and navigate to the extracted folder. Use the "cd PATH" to navigate there.
    TIP:
    In Windows you can just Shift-Right Click and a "Open PowerShell Window here" / "Open a Command Prompt Window here" will appear.
    If it is PowerShell, just type "cmd" in it and you can keep going as usual.
    - - -
    For Linux, some launchers already include that option by just Right-Clicking, no need to add the Shift complication...
  7. In the Terminal / PowerShell / Command Prompt / whatever you want to call it, type in "adb devices". A notification on your smartphone should appear, asking to authorize USB Debugging. Allow it.
  8. Type it again. If a device appears, good job!
  9. Now, send this command: "adb shell settings put system hw_hide_font_style false". This will un-hide the Font Style option in Settings.
  10. Now, reboot your device and it's done! Congratulations! Now you can use custom fonts on your device by going to Settings > Display > Text / Font Style!

How to make your own font

First of all, sorry for the wall of text. In this very first version of the guide I just want to make sure it explains everything nicely. Further on, I will add images and make this better. (I'm not full-time at XDA :p)

If for some reason you don't want me to make the font or you want to make it yourself, then you have come to the right place! ;)
The requirements are:
  • The font files (in TTF format. If that format isn't avaiable, then you can try some software of website to convert, but while it can work, there is also a chance it doesn't);
  • A computer (I recommend Windows or Linux);
  • Some images to preview your theme (JPG only!)
  • A file manager (I recommend 7zip or WinRAR);
  • Any text editor, like Notepad++ or Visual Studio Code (I use this one).
  • The base files I made, so everything is a lot easier! You can download them here.
    (I added a CC BY license. Simply, you can do whatever you want with these files / package, including for commercial purposes, but you need to credit me, with my name and a link to this post).
After downloading the package, you have have all the required files there, you will find everything you need there, including a smaller guide if you miss something here.

You can see some files and folders, like "description.xml", "framework-res", "icons", "preview" and "fonts. (these are the required files to make a theme with only a font. If you want to make a full theme, I recommend another guide for that and this one at the same time)
Here is a brief explanation of whay they do (further explanation is below):
  • "fonts": (FOLDER) Here you store all the font related files.
  • "preview": (FOLDER) The folder will include all images to preview the theme, in the themes app
  • "description.xml": (FILE) The name says it all. Here you write everything to describe the theme, from its name to its version. (I wrote in the file exactly what you need to do)
  • "framework-res": (FILE) This file is only used for complete themes. You don't need to touch it (but do not delete it! The theme won't work without this.)
  • "icons": The same as "framework-res". As the name suggests, it is for icons.
    Ok, now stop describing the files and explain what I do with them!
    There you have it! :)
    In the "fonts" folder there is a lot of fonts styles (in my package I included Roboto, since it is Android default font).
    When you download the fonts you want to use, you just need to move them all here and rename their styles to Roboto names.
    If you don't have a style, then just don't use it.
    TIP:
    If some font includes a style named "Ultra" or "Extra" Bold, then it is probably the "Black" style of Roboto.
    Also, copy any style of the font and rename it to "DroidSansChinese.ttf" (I recommend using the Regular style). I'm not very sure why its needed, but with my knowledge I can say its probably some Android ROMs use that font instead of Roboto, and EMUI can be one of those.
    The preview image for the font (the one that appears before you apply it in the Settings) is named "pic_font_default.jpg".
    I recommend using a 500 px x 520 px resolution.

The "preview" folder includes all the images that will preview your theme in the themes app.
    I included the
    • "cover.jpg" - Name says everything. The cover.
    • "preview_fonts_N.jpg" - Preview for the fonts. This says it all.
    • "preview_unlock_N.jpg" - Preview of the lockscreen. (yes, you can theme the lockscreen including buttons and that stuff in EMUI).
    There are also these (not included in the package)
    • "preview_widget_N.jpg" - For the widgets.
    • "preview_icons_N.jpg" - Icons preview.
    I recommend using a 1080 px x 1920 px image resolution for all these images.

TIP:
    The N means the number of that image type. It starts at 0.

When you finished putting everything together, from fonts to images, you just need to use a file manager to zip everything! After it has been zipped, rename the *.zip to *.hwt and your theme is ready! (yep, a theme is just a renamed zip file :D)

There you have it! I hope you like my awesome wall of text!
    I'm still seeing how I can make this look better.
    Will also add more details soon.

• How to apply a font

• NOTES:
      1. As fair as I know, these should work in EMUI 4 without any problem. (I wrote below how to change it)
      2. If you are using EMUI 5, then please scroll up and follow the guide up there to be able to use custom fonts in EMUI 5.
    • Now, how to apply them: (for both EMUI 4 and 5)
      1. Download the font to any location on your device;
      2. Move it to the "HWThemes" folder (located in the Internal Storage, also known as "/storage/emulated/0";
      3. Open the Themes application and go to the "Me" section. Make sure the font theme appears there (but don't apply it in the themes app!);
      4. Go to Settings >> Display >> (Text / Font) Style and select the font you want to apply.

Do you want to suggest a font? There are only 2 simple requirements!

1. You must provide the source of the font, not the download link directly.
    2. There is a .ttf (TrueType) format of that font avaiable. This is the only format I got working, please tell me if there is any other format that works and I will post it here.

Notes for the people that care

1. I'm still working on the themes art to make it look even better! (the images you see before applying the theme; on some devices they don't even appear, I'm still trying to find out why).

Downloads and Update Logs are in separated posts (below)​

Last edited:

DarkAlpha.Sete

Oct 12, 2016
Updates Log

1 September 2017
  • First version of the main post. Probably looks messy;
  • Added Open Sans;
  • Added Roboto.

6 September 2017
  • Cleaned up the post;
  • Fixed Open Sans;
  • Fixed Roboto;
  • (Added all ParaType font families as requested by @igogold).
  • Added ParaType Sans;
  • Added ParaType Sans Narrow;
  • Added ParaType Sans Caption;
  • Added ParaType Serif;
  • Added ParaType Serif Caption;
  • Added ParaType Mono.

7 September 2017
  • Changed the 2 requirement for a font suggestion. Really, now it makes so much more sense than before...;
  • Added Abel as requested by @ayush rao.

8 September 2017

11 September 2017
  • Added a way for people to support me (by downloading using a link shortener);
  • Added Hallo Sans as requested by @ayush rao;
  • Added Roboto Condensed as requested by @ayush rao.

12 September 2017
  • Added some screenshots to the main post.

15 September 2017
  • Changed a lot of main post formatting;
  • Added a guide, so everyone can make their own themes with fonts (please don't stop requesting fonts here because you can make your own, I like helping someone :p). Requested by @leonardus_magnus.
  • Changed the post title to reflect what it has become now. (one day I will rename it to "Fonts for EMUI, Guides, and a messy post" :D)

Last edited:

DarkAlpha.Sete

Oct 12, 2016
For the people reading this and thinking I need to add more fonts, I will add what people suggest, I'm not exactly thinking on adding whatever I have in mind. Just what others want.

Sent from my Honor 6x using XDA Labs

DarkAlpha.Sete

Oct 12, 2016
Thank you!
Good free cyrillic (but not only cyrillic) fonts are PT Sans / PT Sans Caption from https://www.paratype.com/public/
It's interesting how it will look on the phone screen.
Added them (more exactly all ParaType fonts I could find), I hope you like how they look!
The fonts don't seem to work on my device.

Honor 8 running EMUI 5.

Sent from my Honor 8 using XDA Labs
Just fixed them. I hope you like my work!

DarkAlpha.Sete

Oct 12, 2016
Can't get font to work when language is set to Swedish but it work in English.
Thanks for font

I'm sorry to tell this but that is a problem of EMUI. Fonts in EMUI 5 only work with the English language (don't ask me why). I didn't try with EMUI 4 though, but I think it works properly.
Probably this happens because of the tweak needed to be done for the setting to appear... I really don't know.

Reactions: berka38

ayush rao

Jul 5, 2015
Kuwait
Hey so I used ur Paratype font and I noticed that some apps were glitched while using it. Here's a screenshot using real racing 3. It is unable to display the required symbols.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170907-143323.png
    Screenshot_20170907-143323.png
    37.1 KB · Views: 159
Reactions: DarkAlpha.Sete

DarkAlpha.Sete

Oct 12, 2016
Hey so I used ur Paratype font and I noticed that some apps were glitched while using it. Here's a screenshot using real racing 3. It is unable to display the required symbols.
Probably the app wasn't ready to use that type of fonts, there isn't much I can do to fix that.
I'm sorry.
Does that happen with any other font?

Working on Honor Note 8. .
Could you please add VT323 font.
http://www.1001fonts.com/vt323-font.html
Working on it!

Sent from my Honor 6X using XDA Labs

ayush rao

Jul 5, 2015
Kuwait
Probably the app wasn't ready to use that type of fonts, there isn't much I can do to fix that.
I'm sorry.
Does that happen with any other font?
It happens in every font available online for Huawei phones. Custom fonts break Zooper widgets and spoil the game.

Thanks for the effort though I'm enjoying the font.

DarkAlpha.Sete

Oct 12, 2016
Working on Honor Note 8. .
Could you please add VT323 font.
http://www.1001fonts.com/vt323-font.html

Just added it. Enjoy!

Just wanted to ask everyone, would someone be angry if I started supporting these downloads via those link shortener with ads websites. Don't want to make anyone angry just because of some cents, so I'm asking. (another idea I had is to make the downloads avaible via shortener and without it, so people aren't forced to see ads and only support me if they want)

Last edited:

razutazu

Dec 3, 2011
Just added it. Enjoy!

Just wanted to ask everyone, would someone be angry if I started supporting these downloads via those link shortener with ads websites. Don't want to make anyone angry just because of some cents, so I'm asking. (another idea I had is to make the downloads avaible via shortener and without it, so people aren't forced to see ads and only support me if they want)

Thanx for the quick response buddy. It works great.
I guess the admins or some senior members can help you with your query.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Fonts for EMUI
    Important Information

This post will keep growing. It will start will just two fonts: "Open Sans" and "Roboto" (yes, I know Roboto is the default font of Android 4+, but here it is in case you want it). This will work in a very simple way: You suggest the font for me to add and I add it (the simple requirements are written below).

By the way, this post didn't have a guide in the start. Thanks to @leonardus_magnus for suggesting it.
    If someone is using EMUI 3.x please tell me if any font doesn't work. I will do my best to fix it, but without any guarantees because I don't have any device with that version to test.

Screenshots of the fonts posted by me

Only the fonts that have the Bold style "naturally" will have their title in Bold.
    po6Ef5o.jpg

D2WzV50.jpg

enygkqF.jpg

GpT7dvJ.jpg

A0gJrSZ.jpg

q6KlPWB.jpg

aMP9LXV.jpg

kz4myR3.jpg

AoL6IaK.jpg

tpkQLD9.jpg

6FuU2Sm.jpg

7iyicOY.jpg

Using custom fonts on EMUI 5

If you have EMUI 5, you will need to also follow this guide to use any font. (you don't need this for EMUI 4)

You will need:

• A computer, with Windows or Linux (can't say anything about MACs)
    • Android SDK Platform Tools (you actually just need ADB from there). Get them here: https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools.html
    • Your device drivers. They will be automatically installed when you connect your Huawei / Honor smartphone to your computer and install HiSuite.
    After getting all that stuff, lets go!
    1. First of all, you need to activate Developer Options. To do that, Go to the Settings, scroll all the way down, and go to "About phone" and click some times on "Build number".
    2. After you have activated them, you will find an extra option in the Settings menu, called "Developer Options". Go there.
    3. Now, activate USB Debugging (you can freely deactivate it, and I recommend it, after doing this guide). Just scroll down until you find it.
    4. Connect the smartphone with a cable to your computer.
    5. Now you can go to where you downloaded the Android SDK Platform Tools and extract them to where you want.
    6. Open a Terminal / Command Prompt and navigate to the extracted folder. Use the "cd PATH" to navigate there.
      TIP:
      In Windows you can just Shift-Right Click and a "Open PowerShell Window here" / "Open a Command Prompt Window here" will appear.
      If it is PowerShell, just type "cmd" in it and you can keep going as usual.
      - - -
      For Linux, some launchers already include that option by just Right-Clicking, no need to add the Shift complication...
    7. In the Terminal / PowerShell / Command Prompt / whatever you want to call it, type in "adb devices". A notification on your smartphone should appear, asking to authorize USB Debugging. Allow it.
    8. Type it again. If a device appears, good job!
    9. Now, send this command: "adb shell settings put system hw_hide_font_style false". This will un-hide the Font Style option in Settings.
    10. Now, reboot your device and it's done! Congratulations! Now you can use custom fonts on your device by going to Settings > Display > Text / Font Style!

How to make your own font

First of all, sorry for the wall of text. In this very first version of the guide I just want to make sure it explains everything nicely. Further on, I will add images and make this better. (I'm not full-time at XDA :p)

If for some reason you don't want me to make the font or you want to make it yourself, then you have come to the right place! ;)
    The requirements are:
    • The font files (in TTF format. If that format isn't avaiable, then you can try some software of website to convert, but while it can work, there is also a chance it doesn't);
    • A computer (I recommend Windows or Linux);
    • Some images to preview your theme (JPG only!)
    • A file manager (I recommend 7zip or WinRAR);
    • Any text editor, like Notepad++ or Visual Studio Code (I use this one).
    • The base files I made, so everything is a lot easier! You can download them here.
      (I added a CC BY license. Simply, you can do whatever you want with these files / package, including for commercial purposes, but you need to credit me, with my name and a link to this post).
    After downloading the package, you have have all the required files there, you will find everything you need there, including a smaller guide if you miss something here.

You can see some files and folders, like "description.xml", "framework-res", "icons", "preview" and "fonts. (these are the required files to make a theme with only a font. If you want to make a full theme, I recommend another guide for that and this one at the same time)
    Here is a brief explanation of whay they do (further explanation is below):
    • "fonts": (FOLDER) Here you store all the font related files.
    • "preview": (FOLDER) The folder will include all images to preview the theme, in the themes app
    • "description.xml": (FILE) The name says it all. Here you write everything to describe the theme, from its name to its version. (I wrote in the file exactly what you need to do)
    • "framework-res": (FILE) This file is only used for complete themes. You don't need to touch it (but do not delete it! The theme won't work without this.)
    • "icons": The same as "framework-res". As the name suggests, it is for icons.
      Ok, now stop describing the files and explain what I do with them!
      There you have it! :)
      In the "fonts" folder there is a lot of fonts styles (in my package I included Roboto, since it is Android default font).
      When you download the fonts you want to use, you just need to move them all here and rename their styles to Roboto names.
      If you don't have a style, then just don't use it.
      TIP:
      If some font includes a style named "Ultra" or "Extra" Bold, then it is probably the "Black" style of Roboto.
      Also, copy any style of the font and rename it to "DroidSansChinese.ttf" (I recommend using the Regular style). I'm not very sure why its needed, but with my knowledge I can say its probably some Android ROMs use that font instead of Roboto, and EMUI can be one of those.
      The preview image for the font (the one that appears before you apply it in the Settings) is named "pic_font_default.jpg".
      I recommend using a 500 px x 520 px resolution.

The "preview" folder includes all the images that will preview your theme in the themes app.
      I included the
      • "cover.jpg" - Name says everything. The cover.
      • "preview_fonts_N.jpg" - Preview for the fonts. This says it all.
      • "preview_unlock_N.jpg" - Preview of the lockscreen. (yes, you can theme the lockscreen including buttons and that stuff in EMUI).
      There are also these (not included in the package)
      • "preview_widget_N.jpg" - For the widgets.
      • "preview_icons_N.jpg" - Icons preview.
      I recommend using a 1080 px x 1920 px image resolution for all these images.

TIP:
      The N means the number of that image type. It starts at 0.

When you finished putting everything together, from fonts to images, you just need to use a file manager to zip everything! After it has been zipped, rename the *.zip to *.hwt and your theme is ready! (yep, a theme is just a renamed zip file :D)

There you have it! I hope you like my awesome wall of text!
      I'm still seeing how I can make this look better.
      Will also add more details soon.

• How to apply a font

• NOTES:
        1. As fair as I know, these should work in EMUI 4 without any problem. (I wrote below how to change it)
        2. If you are using EMUI 5, then please scroll up and follow the guide up there to be able to use custom fonts in EMUI 5.
      • Now, how to apply them: (for both EMUI 4 and 5)
        1. Download the font to any location on your device;
        2. Move it to the "HWThemes" folder (located in the Internal Storage, also known as "/storage/emulated/0";
        3. Open the Themes application and go to the "Me" section. Make sure the font theme appears there (but don't apply it in the themes app!);
        4. Go to Settings >> Display >> (Text / Font) Style and select the font you want to apply.

Do you want to suggest a font? There are only 2 simple requirements!

1. You must provide the source of the font, not the download link directly.
      2. There is a .ttf (TrueType) format of that font avaiable. This is the only format I got working, please tell me if there is any other format that works and I will post it here.

Notes for the people that care

1. I'm still working on the themes art to make it look even better! (the images you see before applying the theme; on some devices they don't even appear, I'm still trying to find out why).

Downloads and Update Logs are in separated posts (below)​

Updates Log

1 September 2017
    • First version of the main post. Probably looks messy;
    • Added Open Sans;
    • Added Roboto.

6 September 2017
    • Cleaned up the post;
    • Fixed Open Sans;
    • Fixed Roboto;
    • (Added all ParaType font families as requested by @igogold).
    • Added ParaType Sans;
    • Added ParaType Sans Narrow;
    • Added ParaType Sans Caption;
    • Added ParaType Serif;
    • Added ParaType Serif Caption;
    • Added ParaType Mono.

7 September 2017
    • Changed the 2 requirement for a font suggestion. Really, now it makes so much more sense than before...;
    • Added Abel as requested by @ayush rao.

8 September 2017

11 September 2017
    • Added a way for people to support me (by downloading using a link shortener);
    • Added Hallo Sans as requested by @ayush rao;
    • Added Roboto Condensed as requested by @ayush rao.

12 September 2017
    • Added some screenshots to the main post.

15 September 2017
    • Changed a lot of main post formatting;
    • Added a guide, so everyone can make their own themes with fonts (please don't stop requesting fonts here because you can make your own, I like helping someone :p). Requested by @leonardus_magnus.
    • Changed the post title to reflect what it has become now. (one day I will rename it to "Fonts for EMUI, Guides, and a messy post" :D)

U can convert otf to ttf using the site:
    https://cloudconvert.com

Uploaded Roboto Condensed and Hallo Sans now :).
    Sorry for uploading too late, had some IRL problems that I couldn't expect.
    (I also added a method for everyone to support me)
    Thank you!
    Good free cyrillic (but not only cyrillic) fonts are PT Sans / PT Sans Caption from https://www.paratype.com/public/
    It's interesting how it will look on the phone screen.
    Added them (more exactly all ParaType fonts I could find), I hope you like how they look!
    The fonts don't seem to work on my device.

Honor 8 running EMUI 5.

Just fixed them. I hope you like my work!
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone