• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[NO ROOT] How to Install TWRP & custom ROM without root on Galaxy S5 G900

Search This thread

legomg

Jun 14, 2017
Hello!
This thread is to teach you how to flash TWRP, along with a custom ROM on your T-Mobile Galaxy S5 WITHOUT root!

DISCLAIMER:
Read the whole thread at least one before trying!
Anything you do to your device is your own decision. I am not forcing you to do this. If you screw something up during the process, that isn't my fault.
Custom ROMs can sometimes be unstable. PLEASE make sure you are downloading the correct file for your device model.
Tampering with your device's firmware, including custom recoveries, ROMs, or rooting your device WILL VOID THE WARRANTY.
Flashing a custom ROM WILL DELETE YOUR DATA. Consider backing up your apps, photos, videos, files, etc. online or to an external storage.

Before we start, we need to download a few things.
*Do not download anything with Safari! Safari unzips zip files, but we want them to stay zipped. DO NOT RE-ZIP THE FILE YOURSELF!!! It will not be zipped in the correct format!*
1. Odin v3.12.3: (Odin)
2. The TWRP recovery tar file: (TWRP)
3. Your custom ROM zip file. (There are many ROMs out there, but Lineage is a pretty good one: (Lineage OS klte) Choose the most recent release.) IMPORTANT: Make sure you download this to your phone's internal/external storage to an easily accessible location.
4. A GApps package. This is required if you want to be able to download apps from the Google Play Store. Go to the Open GApps page and choose ARM, and Android 7.1. You shouldn't need anything more that micro. IMPORTANT: This file also goes onto your phone's internal/external storage.
5. Your device drivers. Most of the time, Windows will automatically install the required drivers once you put in the device, but in the case this doesn't happen, try googling your devices model number and "windows drivers." Follow the process to install.

Alright, with that out of the way, let's install TWRP.
1. With your phone unplugged, boot into "Download mode." Power off your device. Then hold down the Power, Home, and Vol- buttons until you see a warning pop up.
2. Accept the warning by clicking Vol+.
3. Run the Odin exe file we downloaded earlier. (You may have to unzip the file first.)
4. Go to Options and disable auto reboot. Go back to the Log tab.
5. Plug your device into the computer. You should see Odin say "ADDED!" on the side.
6. Click "AP" and locate the TWRP recovery tar file we downloaded earlier.
7. Once you select the file, click "Start."
8. When finished, it should say "PASS" at the top. This is where you unplug your phone and remove the battery.
9. Wait 10 seconds before putting the battery back in.
10. Try booting into recovery by holding down the Power, Home, and Vol+ buttons. If it reads "Team Win Recovery Project" at the top, then congrats! You've successfully flashed TWRP! If it says at the top "stock recovery," try the whole process again from step #1.

Now we can flash your custom ROM!
1. This is where we wipe your phone's data. Click on "Wipe." Then Swipe to factory reset.
2. After you have wiped your device, click on "Install"
3. Now navigate to the ROM zip file and select it.
4. Click on "Add more zips"
5. Navigate to the GApps zip file and select it.
6. Swipe to install. This can take some time, so grab a cup of coffee and maybe check out my Youtube channel? ;)
7. The moment of truth: click on Reboot, then System. The first boot can take a minute. If it doesn't show up after 5 minutes, remove the battery and try wiping and flashing again.

CONGRATULATIONS!! You've installed a custom ROM! Enjoy! :laugh:

EXTRA:
If you want to enable root on your Lineage OS device, you must flash an additional file first.
1. Go to this link and download the first su (arm) file and save it to an easily accessible location.
2. Boot into recovery mode once again by powering off your device, then pressing and holding Power, Home, and Vol+ until TWRP appears.
3. Click on install.
4. Select the su zip file we downloaded earlier.
5. Swipe to install.
6. Once it is installed, boot back into system.
7. Navigate to developer options in settings.
8. Scroll down to"Root Access" and change it to either Apps, or Apps and ADB.

Awesome, now you have root!

Thanks for the help:
[url]https://forum.xda-developers.com/tmobile-galaxy-s5/general/root-how-to-root-sm-g900t-firmware-t3358190[/URL]

Last edited:

TheVergs

May 14, 2018
I did not work for me, when I go recovery mode it shows:
Could not do normal boot
Odin mode.
I'm definitely not an pro at this, so can anyone help me please

bradmccoy

Jul 28, 2018
Doesn't work for me. When I reboot in recovery ode, instead of TWRP loading I get a generic Android Recovery screen with a few options - reboot system now, reboot to bootloaded, apply update from ADB apply update from SD card, wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition, mount /system, view recovery logs, power off. Now sure how to proceed....

legomg

Jun 14, 2017
Doesn't work for me. When I reboot in recovery ode, instead of TWRP loading I get a generic Android Recovery screen with a few options - reboot system now, reboot to bootloaded, apply update from ADB apply update from SD card, wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition, mount /system, view recovery logs, power off. Now sure how to proceed....

We’re you sure to unplug and remove the battery? This is essential to ensure the phone powers down. If you just power down the phone will reset the recovery to avoid TWRP. You have to remove any power source to force a shutdown before it can reset. Please feel free to respond and I’ll be happy to help to the best of my abilities! :)

dezraj

Sep 10, 2017
Thank you so much for this tutorial. It worked perfectly in my SM-G900MD, and it's easier than the method suggested by the Lineage OS page itself. :eek::good:

xyz_969

Aug 24, 2011
Thanks, these steps worked just fine on an SM-G900T, and were very easy to follow.

grutten

May 22, 2009
Thank you! This worked beautifully.
Only thing that didn't work the first time is, is that it told me to download the Gapps Android 8.1 file instead of 7.1.

tbm5k

Aug 20, 2019
I hear people talking of unlocking the bootloader in order to install a custom ROM. Why haven't you mentioned that in this article?

gnbz

Sep 13, 2019
Had the "FAIL! (Auth)" problem with flashing TWRP with Odin.
It seems that after I have disabled Reactivation Lock (the standard feature that requires activation of the phone with Samsung account) it helped to succeed flashing TWRP.

Lister Of Smeg

May 20, 2013
Hi All,

Thanks for a great and useful guide. Whilst it says this can be achieved without root, which is fantastic... It doesn't mention anything about tripping Knox or not?? I assume this will trip the Knox counter, won't it ?? Or do this method bypass that ??

Thanks, Lister

zentara

May 17, 2014
adult supervision needed for Samsung S5 Lineage 17 install :)

Hi, I'm good with adb and fastboot, running Linux with the commandline Odin4. I can get the phone to the warning screen about the danger of installing other Roms. How do I proceed? What are the commandline options to use to flash the LineageOS 17 with odin4 ? The Odin4 help file isn't very helpful.

DODO1962

Nov 1, 2020
Could not do normal boot

I am not an expert at this and I am having the same issue as The Verg
I have a message at the top "Could not do normal boot" same as him
I've been at this for 2 days now I'm just about at my ends wit
My phone is a Samsung S5 Active model SM-G870W
and I can easily rooted it or reinstall the stock file and put it back to original
and I've done that hump time but this TWRP file I just can't install it
to update this phone to a more recent software and basically install
an S8 or S9 software in it (mind you version 9 Pie would be OK0
and make this old phone a real beast.
I read somewhere about the OEM button which does not exist on this phone
whatever explanation they are giving to unlock it and make the button appear
all of a sudden is bs in my book.
Now please help me with this phone and the other guy by the same token
Is there another way I can get into this phone and wipe it clean and
boot it with thru the abd file or access the sd card or the internal
storage of the phone.
How can I add a picture of my phone to this thread

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello!
    This thread is to teach you how to flash TWRP, along with a custom ROM on your T-Mobile Galaxy S5 WITHOUT root!

DISCLAIMER:
    Read the whole thread at least one before trying!
    Anything you do to your device is your own decision. I am not forcing you to do this. If you screw something up during the process, that isn't my fault.
    Custom ROMs can sometimes be unstable. PLEASE make sure you are downloading the correct file for your device model.
    Tampering with your device's firmware, including custom recoveries, ROMs, or rooting your device WILL VOID THE WARRANTY.
    Flashing a custom ROM WILL DELETE YOUR DATA. Consider backing up your apps, photos, videos, files, etc. online or to an external storage.

Before we start, we need to download a few things.
    *Do not download anything with Safari! Safari unzips zip files, but we want them to stay zipped. DO NOT RE-ZIP THE FILE YOURSELF!!! It will not be zipped in the correct format!*
    1. Odin v3.12.3: (Odin)
    2. The TWRP recovery tar file: (TWRP)
    3. Your custom ROM zip file. (There are many ROMs out there, but Lineage is a pretty good one: (Lineage OS klte) Choose the most recent release.) IMPORTANT: Make sure you download this to your phone's internal/external storage to an easily accessible location.
    4. A GApps package. This is required if you want to be able to download apps from the Google Play Store. Go to the Open GApps page and choose ARM, and Android 7.1. You shouldn't need anything more that micro. IMPORTANT: This file also goes onto your phone's internal/external storage.
    5. Your device drivers. Most of the time, Windows will automatically install the required drivers once you put in the device, but in the case this doesn't happen, try googling your devices model number and "windows drivers." Follow the process to install.

Alright, with that out of the way, let's install TWRP.
    1. With your phone unplugged, boot into "Download mode." Power off your device. Then hold down the Power, Home, and Vol- buttons until you see a warning pop up.
    2. Accept the warning by clicking Vol+.
    3. Run the Odin exe file we downloaded earlier. (You may have to unzip the file first.)
    4. Go to Options and disable auto reboot. Go back to the Log tab.
    5. Plug your device into the computer. You should see Odin say "ADDED!" on the side.
    6. Click "AP" and locate the TWRP recovery tar file we downloaded earlier.
    7. Once you select the file, click "Start."
    8. When finished, it should say "PASS" at the top. This is where you unplug your phone and remove the battery.
    9. Wait 10 seconds before putting the battery back in.
    10. Try booting into recovery by holding down the Power, Home, and Vol+ buttons. If it reads "Team Win Recovery Project" at the top, then congrats! You've successfully flashed TWRP! If it says at the top "stock recovery," try the whole process again from step #1.

Now we can flash your custom ROM!
    1. This is where we wipe your phone's data. Click on "Wipe." Then Swipe to factory reset.
    2. After you have wiped your device, click on "Install"
    3. Now navigate to the ROM zip file and select it.
    4. Click on "Add more zips"
    5. Navigate to the GApps zip file and select it.
    6. Swipe to install. This can take some time, so grab a cup of coffee and maybe check out my Youtube channel? ;)
    7. The moment of truth: click on Reboot, then System. The first boot can take a minute. If it doesn't show up after 5 minutes, remove the battery and try wiping and flashing again.

CONGRATULATIONS!! You've installed a custom ROM! Enjoy! :laugh:

EXTRA:
    If you want to enable root on your Lineage OS device, you must flash an additional file first.
    1. Go to this link and download the first su (arm) file and save it to an easily accessible location.
    2. Boot into recovery mode once again by powering off your device, then pressing and holding Power, Home, and Vol+ until TWRP appears.
    3. Click on install.
    4. Select the su zip file we downloaded earlier.
    5. Swipe to install.
    6. Once it is installed, boot back into system.
    7. Navigate to developer options in settings.
    8. Scroll down to"Root Access" and change it to either Apps, or Apps and ADB.

Awesome, now you have root!

Thanks for the help:
    [url]https://forum.xda-developers.com/tmobile-galaxy-s5/general/root-how-to-root-sm-g900t-firmware-t3358190[/URL]