NO ROOT REQUIRED: Completely disable and enable your lock screen

Search This thread

gabosius

Mar 12, 2009
Interesting. So each permission has a certain "protection" level?

If I understand it properly protection level is associated with the application itself rather than the permission, but some permissions can only be granted under specific circumstances.

For instance, some permissions can be granted only for apps in /system/app or /system/priv-app folders while others according to the link I posted only to apps which have specific protection level set in the manifest of the apk file. And in this case understanding the real reason behind "permission is not a changeable type" needs some analysis of the source code of the OS, but is likely to be a dead end, in particular if the protection level is set to signature.

Reactions: DragonFire1024
If I understand it properly protection level is associated with the application itself rather than the permission, but some permissions can only be granted under specific circumstances.

For instance, some permissions can be granted only for apps in /system/app or /system/priv-app folders while others according to the link I posted only to apps which have specific protection level set in the manifest of the apk file. And in this case understanding the real reason behind "permission is not a changeable type" needs some analysis of the source code of the OS, but is likely to be a dead end, in particular if the protection level is set to signature.

I can modify Activity Launchers manifest just fine. But even with root, i installed it into system/app and it wasn't performing any better than before. Good to know it accepted the Amazon permission though. But wasn't granted it.

Sadly disabling the lock screen this way didn't work for me. HD 10 (7th Gen) 5.6.0.1, rooted.

For some reason it doesn't seem to work on the HD 10. I recall seeing the settings in the framework if I'm not mistaken. I'll have a look into it later today.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using XDA Labs

optimummind

Jun 17, 2012
Orange, CA
Many of us don't have root and many of us also uninstalled may system apps, including Fire Launcher. That left us with some annoyances. One major annoyance was being kicked to the lock screen whenever we swiped away apps from the recent apps menu. Some people saw annoying flashes. Well this isn't quite a fix, but it pretty much takes care of the problem. You can now remove your lock screen completely and replace it at will and you do NOT need root access.

***WARNING: Touching any other settings on your tablet during this guide can cause a brick!!!***

1. Download and install Settings Database Editor.

2. Plug your tablet into your PC and open an ADB window. Enter the following:
Code:
adb shell pm grant by4a.setedit22 android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS

Step number 2 MUST be done in order for this to work.

3. Open Settings Database Editor and tap on the 'secure' tab at the top.

4. These settings are in alphabetical order. Scroll until you see:
Code:
"lockscreen_disabled"    "0"

5. Change the 0 to a 1. DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE

6. Close Settings Database Editor

Now turn off your screen. Now turn it back on. You are welcome! I have a few more tricks coming. Watch for some later!

IF THE ABOVE DOESN'T WORK, TO DISABLE LOCK SCREEN:
Code:
adb shell settings put secure lockscreen_disabled 1

ENABLE LOCK SCREEN:
Code:
adb shell settings put secure lockscreen_disabled 0

Just tried both methods right now. Neither method worked on my 2017 Fire HD 8 32GB model on 5.6.0.1.

Now turn off your screen. Now turn it back on. You are welcome! I have a few more tricks coming. Watch for some later!

ENABLE LOCK SCREEN:

Just tried both methods right now. Neither method worked on my 2017 Fire HD 8 32GB model on 5.6.0.1.

Must be a 5.6.0.1 blockage :( works on my HD 8, 5.4.0.0 but not on my HD 10 5.6.0.1.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using XDA Labs

galinnus

Dec 23, 2016
Doesn't work on my Fire HD8. But while browsing through Settings Database Editor I have found something useful.

In the "Global Table" tab there's a setting called LOCKSCREEN_AD_ENABLED. Change the value from 1 to 0, save. Turn off screen, turn it on again --> ads are gone!

At least for a while...
Thanks! It works for now on Fire 2015 5th gen OS 5.6.0.0.

Ivorin

Aug 11, 2018
Update

After some time playing around the system I have found out that by default it actually does not work, but if Global Table->"device_provisioned" = 0 then lock screen gets disabled, but serial number gets greyed out and developer options get disabled, while adb remains functional.

On 5.6.0.0 even change to "device_provisioned" did not disable the lock screen.
Just an update about this thread's laudable goal:

On Fire 7 (7th) 5.4.0.0 and Fire HD 8 (7th) 5.6.1.2, although the setting of lockscreen.disabled does nothing, setting Global Table->"device_provisioned" = 0 (a reboot may be needed) removes the lock screen entirely. Unfortunately it also leaves the quick access menu (swipe from top) devoid of apps, controls and notifications. As mentioned previously it also grays out the serial number and blocks access to Developer Options. There may be other unwanted side effects.

Still it could be a price worth paying for those who really want to get rid of the lock screen.

Reactions: dondraper23

dondraper23

Feb 6, 2018

On Fire 7 (7th) 5.4.0.0 and Fire HD 8 (7th) 5.6.1.2, although the setting of lockscreen.disabled does nothing, setting Global Table->"device_provisioned" = 0 (a reboot may be needed) removes the lock screen entirely. Unfortunately it also leaves the quick access menu (swipe from top) devoid of apps, controls and notifications. As mentioned previously it also grays out the serial number and blocks access to Developer Options. There may be other unwanted side effects.

Still it could be a price worth paying for those who really want to get rid of the lock screen.
Awesome! Thanks!

The lockscreen.disabled may have been patched. It worked on 5.4.0.0 and that was quite a bit ago.

pipwar858

May 21, 2019
The purely text based entry works Fire 8 HD 2018

Me and a buddy have been working with a kindle fire for a while now and I have seen this question posted before so as of May 2019 the following command is confirmed to work, tested on two devices.

adb shell settings put global device_provisioned 0

Set it to 1 to undo it.

Me and a buddy have been working with a kindle fire for a while now and I have seen this question posted before so as of May 2019 the following command is confirmed to work, tested on two devices.

adb shell settings put global device_provisioned 0

Set it to 1 to undo it.

Still not permanent and with the current policies in place, and inability to remove parental controls, will eventually be overwritten and will default.

Sent from my Amazon KFSUWI using XDA Labs

it took me several hours but I have convinced fire OS that Google services is now the device owner and I have been able to uninstall and completely disable all parental controls and functions along with it and still keep open all lockscreen options. I may post the guide I may not because this was a real pain. but as long as the file holds and the system continues to think that Google services is the new device owner then all parental restrictions are now gone and will stay gone.

Reactions: Ivorin

klausb65

Nov 20, 2010
Did somebody ever tried to change the serial number with this tool? Is it working? Any problems after that change? I have a HD 10 7th generation.

Thanks

Klaus

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Doesn't work on my Fire HD8. But while browsing through Settings Database Editor I have found something useful.

In the "Global Table" tab there's a setting called LOCKSCREEN_AD_ENABLED. Change the value from 1 to 0, save. Turn off screen, turn it on again --> ads are gone!

At least for a while...
    Many of us don't have root and many of us also uninstalled may system apps, including Fire Launcher. That left us with some annoyances. One major annoyance was being kicked to the lock screen whenever we swiped away apps from the recent apps menu. Some people saw annoying flashes. Well this isn't quite a fix, but it pretty much takes care of the problem. You can now remove your lock screen completely and replace it at will and you do NOT need root access.

***WARNING: Touching any other settings on your tablet during this guide can cause a brick!!!***

1. Download and install Settings Database Editor.

2. Plug your tablet into your PC and open an ADB window. Enter the following:
    Code:
    adb shell pm grant by4a.setedit22 android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS

Code:
    "lockscreen_disabled"    "0"

Code:
    adb shell settings put secure lockscreen_disabled 1

ENABLE LOCK SCREEN:
    Code:
    adb shell settings put secure lockscreen_disabled 0
    Not working for me too (Fire HD 8 2016). Also, you've made a mistake: original setting name is "lockscreen.disabled" (dot, not an underscore).
    I know this isn't the correct forum for this but I tried this on a Fire 7 (2017) and it also does not seem to work.
    Add a few .xml configuration files to start and there is configuration settings in the framework. Look for an app on the tablet with HERE in all caps in the title. That's the APK module making it possible. And yes I figured out a way to modify framework settings

I see, just checked MT8127 specs, and indeed there seems to be integrated support for GPS with GLONASS, that may be something interesting to play with.
    EDIT: HD8/HD10 even have broader support of GPS related technologies according to their SoC specs.

Yeah, I was following root progress thread, even tried Blueborne exploit (the one published by Armis labs on github) on KFAUWI without much success as there is no access to /proc/<pid>/maps. And framework-res.apk mod looks promising only for devices having root, as getting required permissions outside /system is rather problematic.

Yet I was surprised that WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS can be assigned outside /system. :D As I was poking around com.amazon.dcp.permission.DISPLAY_DEBUG_UI for quite some time.