no tethering windows Xp

Search This thread

predation

Jan 1, 2011
just tried tethering my nexus s to my work desk top to be "off grid" but i'm having issues.
I cant for the life of me tether the NS to the computer (running windows xp -32bit).

i was able to do this fine on the n1, but no go on the nexus. the computer just doesn't recognize it.

I've down loaded the tetherxp.inf file, but when point the setupwizard to it, it can't find it.

wth??????

then i start doing to research and read that the NS tethering isn't supported by window xp?? just win7, win vista and linux???

is this true???

what have you guys been experiencing?

slowz3r

Jun 10, 2010
Malmstrom AFB, MT
just tried tethering my nexus s to my work desk top to be "off grid" but i'm having issues.
I cant for the life of me tether the NS to the computer (running windows xp -32bit).

i was able to do this fine on the n1, but no go on the nexus. the computer just doesn't recognize it.

I've down loaded the tetherxp.inf file, but when point the setupwizard to it, it can't find it.

wth??????

then i start doing to research and read that the NS tethering isn't supported by window xp?? just win7, win vista and linux???

is this true???

what have you guys been experiencing?

download, unrar and just point it at the USB driver folder and not the subfolder

http://rapidshare.com/files/441850739/usb_driver.rar

predation

Jan 1, 2011
still no go on the usb tethering.

i'm updating the driver via device manager and pointing it towards the unzipped file recommended.

am i doing something wrong here?

predation

Jan 1, 2011
unplug device, uninstall device from device manager plug back in and when it asks to install, point it at the usb driver folder

arg. just did that.
didn't help. oi!!!

still getting the "the hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software" pop up.

i'm giving up on this.
the tether function is "on" on the phone, but my comp doesn't recognize the connection in the network settings.

sucks as i'm trying this on a fresh XP os installed notebook. so i don't know what could be causing this... (yess all updates have been updated)...

slowz, you're able to tether with your NS to xp?

Last edited:

slowz3r

Jun 10, 2010
Malmstrom AFB, MT
arg. just did that.
didn't help. oi!!!

i'm giving up on this.
the tether function is "on" on the phone, but my comp doesn't recognize the connection in the network settings.

sucks as i'm trying this on a fresh XP os installed notebook. so i don't know what could be causing this... (yess all updates have been updated)...

slowz, you're able to tether with your NS to xp?

I dont seem to have any problems with it, ...try uninstalling anything associated with as a NS driver

t3rabyte

Oct 10, 2010
This definitely isn't working with Windows XP.

This worked fine with my Nexus One. I had to install tetherxp.inf for it to work.

With the Nexus S, I removed all devices, uninstalled the drivers and started from scratch. No go with either the tetherxp.inf file or the RAR file posted earlier in this thread.

I can't find any other documentation on the Net that shows that Nexus S can tether with Windows XP.

Has anyone gotten this to work?

t3rabyte

Oct 10, 2010
Well, I did that and now I just have a copy of PDSNet on my machine :)

I still can't get XP to recognize my Nexus S. When I plug it in I still get the New Hardware box that asks to find software for USB Device.

cbrf4

Jun 18, 2010
What I did was to add entries to tetherxp.inf for Nexus S which matched the signatures in device manager after I connected my phone to xp and turned on usb tether. I then installed the driver from tetherxp.inf.

Bazinga.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SOLVED: mini how to

1. download tetherxp.inf from google http://gaosp.googlecode.com/files/tetherxp.inf
    2. open the file and change all the USB\VID_18D1&PID_4E1 to USB\VID_18D1&PID_4E2
    3. plug the phone in and start USB Tethering
    4. go the manual route and select network adapter and point it to the inf file
    5. say yes on the unsigned driver warning
    6. now you should see a new network adapter and you should be able to go online

Regards,
    Markus
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone