No touch screen, can not turn on file sharing via USB, so can I get my data off?

Search This thread

ought

Jan 11, 2006
Hello,

I have one of these wonderful devices but the digitiser seems to be broken as touch screen does not work at all.

The screen works, it charges, and the buttons work, but the blutooth is off, and I can not get the files via USB as I can not turn that option on.

Is there anyway I can get the data off.

Please help.

Thank you.

ze7zez

(...)
Is there anyway I can get the data off.
(...)
Has USB debugging been enabled?

• If not, buy a working LG V500 and mount MoBo to it from your V500 (lower cost) or take it to a specialized service that recovers data (higher cost).
  • If so, then use the adb command on PC or the MyPhoneExplorer application with which you can also enable BT.

ought

Jan 11, 2006
Not sure about the USB debugging. I doubt I ever enabled it. Might it be on anyway?

I did have another idea. Could I just connect a mouse via the USB port and use that rather than the touch screen?

D0PEY

Jun 21, 2022
Yes get an OTG cable to connect a mouse keyboard and monitor/TV to it than you should be able to control the device to turn on USB debugging and get the data off via your computer. That's how I usually get data off of devices with broken screens. It works great as long as your device is compatible.

ought

Jan 11, 2006
I have ordered a cheapo one just to connect the mouse. Should be enough as the screen still works. Then I can just turn on media sharing and get everything off via USB, I hope.

ought

Jan 11, 2006
The mouse works, and a keyboard, though not at the same time with my setup.

But the problem now is that my wife does not rember her passcode, or the e-mail address she used. Therefore I can not get in to it her account on the tablet.

There is a second guest account on there that is not protected but that does not have admin rights. I assume, maybe I am wrong, that if I log in with the non admin user, and connect via USB to my PC there will be no way to get to any data in the main account?

Good idea about the BT, I now have that controlling it.

Last edited:

D0PEY

Jun 21, 2022
The mouse works, and a keyboard, though not at the same time with my setup.

But the problem now is that my wife does not rember her passcode, or the e-mail address she used. Therefore I can not get in to it her account on the tablet.

There is a second guest account on there that is not protected but that does not have admin rights. I assume, maybe I am wrong, that if I log in with the non admin user, and connect via USB to my PC there will be no way to get to any data in the main account?

Good idea about the BT, I now have that controlling it.
Hold up, is this tablet a windows machine? What OS is it running? Cause there's ways to bypass a password on a windows machine. And no you can not get that data off without being in the account that has the data on it. You would need to heighten the rights of the unlocked account to admin and you can only do that through recovery or through the admin account.

ought

Jan 11, 2006
This is an Android tablet, an LG G-pad, and I am sure it has photos of our daughter as a baby on it.

But I really can not find any way in.

ze7zez

(...)

But I really can not find any way in.
I wrote you in post #2:
"...take it to a specialized service that recovers data..."

There is no other option without resetting the device and losing user data including photos.

If it were otherwise, why would there be data security?
There must have been a serious reason that the user secured the phone and an even more serious reason that they forgot the code and email address of the account associated with the phone.

D0PEY

Jun 21, 2022
I wrote you in post #2:
"...take it to a specialized service that recovers data..."

There is no other option without resetting the device and losing user data including photos.

If it were otherwise, why would there be data security?
There must have been a serious reason that the user secured the phone and an even more serious reason that they forgot the code and email address of the account associated with the phone.
I agree with ze7zez. If the email is forgotten as well not allowing you to recover the device with an account then it's a more serious issue. Forgetting the pin is one thing but if you forget your account information try to recover the account first then you can move on to recovering the device. In the case of forgotten passwords, it's usually best to bring the device to your local data recovery provider. Refer to his post #2 for your next steps.

ought

Jan 11, 2006
From what I read it seems early versions of Android have a problem with the username / password back-up method. Even if you know your both you can not get in, and that seems to be true, which is a real bugger.