• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

no update samsung Note 9 AT&T unlocked phone in another region without AT&T sim card

Search This thread

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
Alright, https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/galaxy-note9/firmware/#SM-N960U this is without the carrier, if you put at&t in search menu, you will see that only 1 is available, with android 8.1
So i tried U1, version at&t https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/galaxy-note9/firmware/SM-N960U1/ATT/#SM-N960U1 also didn't work, i tried T-mobile on same U1 model, also didn't work. Everytime same error/none error like on the screen shot
Are you certain that the device has been carrier/SIM unlocked? You can't flash a U1 firmware on a U device if it is not unlocked. I know you said it was AT&T unlocked, but, can you actually confirm that or were you just told it was unlocked? Note, bootloader unlock and carrier unlock are not the same thing.

You can try flashing the "unknown/generic" firmware linked below or any of the other firmware that have (CCT) or (CHA) in their description and also have a binary(5th character from right) that is higher than 3 that are also listed in the second link I'm posting, they are intended to work on different networks.

If you can't get any of those to download, do a Google search for that specific build number and you might find it/them somewhere else.

Last edited:

Denis95M

Nov 28, 2021
Are you certain that the device has been carrier/SIM unlocked? You can't flash a U1 firmware on a U device if it is not unlocked. I know you said it was AT&T unlocked, but, can you actually confirm that or were you just told it was unlocked? Note, bootloader unlock and carrier unlock are not the same thing.

You can try flashing the "unknown/generic" firmware linked below or any of the other firmware that have (CCT) or (CHA) in their description and also have a binary(5th character from right) that is higher than 3 that are also listed in the second link I'm posting, they are intended to work on different networks.

If you can't get any of those to download, do a Google search for that specific build number and you might find it/them somewhere else.

i can confirm that the device is unlocked\sim unlocket\carrier unlocked, because im using it with my own none-at&t sim card, works perfectly, i have signal, mobile data works also, volte calls, all works.
I know that sim unlocked and bootloader unlocked are two diffrent things, i also know that all stock firmware out of the box are with locked bootloader.
So you sugesting to try the second link, will try and post the result, i will do like you sugested without CSC

p.p. right no joy still... tried all you sugested pal, first link, second one, with\without csc ... nothing, same ending, same error

Last edited:

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
i can confirm that the device is unlocked\sim unlocket\carrier unlocked, because im using it with my own none-at&t sim card, works perfectly, i have signal, mobile data works also, volte calls, all works.
I know that sim unlocked and bootloader unlocked are two diffrent things, i also know that all stock firmware out of the box are with locked bootloader.
So you sugesting to try the second link, will try and post the result, i will do like you sugested without CSC

p.p. right no joy still... tried all you sugested pal, first link, second one, with\without csc ... nothing, same ending, same error
I'm at a point where I don't know what to tell you other than extract your firmware files and look for a file called "PIT", save that file separate from the firmware. Then, try flashing the complete firmware again but this tiime select the "re-partition" option(check the box beside it) and then click the PIT tab in Odin and place the PIT file in its slot then put the firmware in its normal slot(s) in Odin then start the flashing process.

Denis95M

Nov 28, 2021
I'm at a point where I don't know what to tell you other than extract your firmware files and look for a file called "PIT", save that file separate from the firmware. Then, try flashing the complete firmware again but this tiime select the "re-partition" option(check the box beside it) and then click the PIT tab in Odin and place the PIT file in its slot then put the firmware in its normal slot(s) in Odin then start the flashing process.
alright ill will try, but i cant see any "PIT" file anywhere in the firmware's folder

Denis95M

Nov 28, 2021
Ok... checked all files, ap, cp, bl, csc, ect. couldt find any file called "pit", althou i think even if i did wouldt be a diffrence.
At this point im making my own assumtions, we have a local service shop here in the town im stayin in, the official representitive of samsung... any ways, after a brief talk, here what the man of that store tolled me....
1. In order to flash the device one has to change it CSC, meaning the phone must look like its no longer with "U" letter in model name. Meaning the market if which the device is being sold (as far as i see it) has to be changed, now im full awaire that even if im succesfull at doint that, im changing nothing, but the device may think that some did change... Difficult to explain i know, at least for me is.... So
1. Change the CSC (if possible on US phones)
2. Then download the CSC firmware for the reagion that im in.... And then Odin (in theory woudnt give error), or whatever the hell this "all threads success0/1" is...
3. In the web the way you change your CSC is to unlock the "OEM" first, on the device, which im pretty sure at this point that on US phones you cannot do that....
4. And then i thought that bootloader must be unlocked, which Mr "Droidriven" told me, that it can stay locked the way it is if im about to install official firmware version, which i am.
At the end of the day thou, nothing worked, dont know even why, is it the region, is it the odin, is it me, is it the version of the software\firmware. Not buying Snapdragon US version again.... I own also a canadian version of s10+ model, Rogers carrier, never had such worries with it...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello people, having exactly the same problem, so its a SM-N960U phone, unlocked from AT&T. First to say, im not in the US, dont have AT&T sim, the phone is updated to android 10 with 2.0ui, with baseband ver. N960USQS3DTB1.
    Now somewhere i read that bootloader must be unlocked in order even to begin thinking of flashind the device, dont know how accurate that is... Id like to ask the Owner of the post, if he was able to make it, to update his firmware. And if so did he indeed succeded from the link above from ep1kku ?
    No, the bootloader does not need to be unlocked before flashing if you are flashing stock software, unlocked bootloader is required to flash custom software, not stock software. There are some manufacturers that require unlocking bootloader even when flashing stock software but Samsung is not and probably never will be one of them.

You can flash your device with stock firmware any time you want, provided that the firmware is not a firmware that is older than your currently installed firmware and if the firmware is for your model number or an equivalent variant of your device with a similar model number and the same CPU series.