No valid slot to boot - any way to back up data?

Search This thread

J.L.C.

May 3, 2010
Does anyone have a way to get around: "no valid slot to boot"

I have a stock Pixel 4XL and just tried to upgrade to Android 11 with the latest images from Google.

I tried to patch the extracted boot image with Magisk and when I try to boot, I'm stuck in fastboot mode with "no valid slot to boot"

I then tried to recover to unrooted stock using an edited flash-all.sh script (removed -w flag). Now, I see the "G" logo and the progress bar cycles a couple of times, then I'm back in fastboot mode with "no valid slot to boot"

Is there any way to recover the device?

Homeboy76

Aug 24, 2012
Does anyone have a way to get around: "no valid slot to boot"

I have a stock Pixel 4XL and just tried to upgrade to Android 11 with the latest images from Google.

I tried to patch the extracted boot image with Magisk and when I try to boot, I'm stuck in fastboot mode with "no valid slot to boot"

I then tried to recover to unrooted stock using an edited flash-all.sh script (removed -w flag). Now, I see the "G" logo and the progress bar cycles a couple of times, then I'm back in fastboot mode with "no valid slot to boot"

Is there any way to recover the device?
boot into Safe mode then reboot.

J.L.C.

May 3, 2010
boot into Safe mode then reboot.

How do I get into safe mode from fastboot?

If I switch back and forth with `set_active a/b` I can get it to the G logo with the progress bar, but it gets stuck there regardless of which buttons I press or hold down.

Last edited:

Homeboy76

Aug 24, 2012
How do I get into safe mode from fastboot?

If I switch back and forth with `set_active a/b` I can get it to the G logo with the progress bar, but it gets stuck there regardless of which buttons I press or hold down.
ok. Flash the stock boot.img to both slots:
fastboot flash boot --slot all boot.img

Last edited:

J.L.C.

May 3, 2010
ok. Flash the stock boot.img to both slots:
fastboot flash boot --slot all boot.img

Unfortunately, I still end up stuck in fastboot with no valid slot to boot

I just tried to adb sideload an OTA through stock recovery recovery, and now I'm stuck at the G logo.

Homeboy76

Aug 24, 2012
Unfortunately, I still end up stuck in fastboot with no valid slot to boot

I just tried to adb sideload an OTA through stock recovery recovery, and now I'm stuck at the G logo.
@J.L.C. try this:
First, make sure you have the latest:
- Platform-tools r30.0.4 installed on your computer
- The latest Android 11 (R) extracted in the Platform-tools folder
- Make sure you can see these files bootloader.img, radio.img, image....zip and fastboot.exe in the Platform-tools folder

Second, when you connect the phone to your computer make sure you do not plug the USB cable into a charging USB port.

Third, cd to the Platform-tools folder (Mac/Linux) or open a command prompt in the Platform-tools folder (Windows - see OP [Post 1] #1 in the Guide below) and type the following commands and press enter after each command:
Notes:
- If you are using a Mac or Linux computer put this ./ in front of every command.
- Guide

fastboot reboot bootloader

fastboot flash bootloader --slot all <complete name of bootloader.img>

fastboot flash radio --slot all <complete name of radio.img>

fastboot update -w <complete name of image-coral-....zip> --skip-reboot --slot all
(this will wipe your phone data and internal storage)
I suggest you do it this way because something is jacked on your phone this will clear out all the gremlings :)

fastboot reboot

If it works thank this post: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=83509975&postcount=9

Last edited:

J.L.C.

May 3, 2010
@J.L.C. try this:
First, make sure you have the latest:
- Platform-tools r30.0.4 installed on your computer
- The latest Android 11 (R) extracted in the Platform-tools folder
- Make sure you can see these files bootloader.img, radio.img, image....zip and fastboot.exe in the Platform-tools folder

Second, when you connect the phone to your computer make sure you do not plug the USB cable into a charging USB port.

Third, cd to the Platform-tools folder (Mac/Linux) or open a command prompt in the Platform-tools folder (Windows - see OP [Post 1] #1 in the Guide below) and type the following commands and press enter after each command:
Notes:
- If you are using a Mac or Linux computer put this ./ in front of every command.
- Guide

fastboot flash bootloader --slot all <complete name of bootloader.img>

fastboot flash radio --slot all <complete name of radio.img>

fastboot update <complete name of image-coral-....zip> --skip-reboot --slot all
(this will wipe your phone data and internal storage)
I suggest you do it this way because something is jacked on your phone this will clear out all the gremlings :)

fastboot reboot

If it works thank this post: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=83509975&postcount=9

Is there any way to pull the data from the phone from fastboot or recovery? Like an idiot, I didn't back up before attempting the upgrade.

Homeboy76

Aug 24, 2012
Is there any way to pull the data from the phone from fastboot or recovery? Like an idiot, I didn't back up before attempting the upgrade.
@J.L.C.try this:
I hope you are using a Windows computer, I don't know how to do this on a Mac or Linux computer.
1. Add the path to the Platform-tools folder to Windows environment variables.
2. Create a folder on your computer that you want to copy the files from your Pixel 4 XL to.
3. Open a command prompt in that folder and type:
adb pull "/storage/emulated/0/"
(This should backup your internal storage.)

Note: USB debugging should be enabled on phone

Last edited:

J.L.C.

May 3, 2010
I'm back up and running but had to do a full wipe, including userdata (-w flag).

I tried fastboot installs of older 10 and 11 images and always ran into the same issue.

OTA upgrades over adb were failing with status 1.

So, phone recovered, data not so much.

Homeboy76

Aug 24, 2012
I'm back up and running but had to do a full wipe, including userdata (-w flag).

I tried fastboot installs of older 10 and 11 images and always ran into the same issue.

OTA upgrades over adb were failing with status 1.

So, phone recovered, data not so much.
:good:

Vantskruv

Apr 17, 2010
I had the same problem, ADB was unauthorised, so I was unable to to do anything with that.
When I was in the 'Fastboot Mode', the command:
$ fastboot devices
was unable to find my device, and therefore I was unable to flash the stock boot.img.

I solved it by selecting 'Power Off' in 'Fastboot Mode' and when the screen turned black, I did press and hold the Volume Down button until the device rebooted into 'Fastboot Mode'. Now my device was detected in when calling the command '$ fastboot devices'.
I do not remember if my device was connected via USB to the computer at that time of reboot.
Then I reflashed the stock boot.img (as flashing the magisk_boot.img never succeeded), and my telephone booted succesfully up unrooted. Then I generated a new patched boot image via Magisk, and rerooted the device without any problems.

Reactions: PhilipTD

use.logic

Mar 13, 2016
Hello, I've run into the same/a similar problem. My Pixel 4a is in a bootloop after attempting to unroot.

I've flashed the stock factory image in accordance to these instructions and I'm still met with the bootloader upon a power cycle.

I've tried doing it on both slots to see if anything might help, but it hasn't yet.

My phone tells me "no valid slot to boot" for the reason just like those above, but nothing seems to help.

EDIT: I cannot apply an OTA update, either. Seeing as I can't unlock the device and validate the RSA key, the device is 'unauthorized' for ADB.

Last edited:

rorwal

Nov 13, 2012
Hello, I've run into the same/a similar problem. My Pixel 4a is in a bootloop after attempting to unroot.

I've flashed the stock factory image in accordance to these instructions and I'm still met with the bootloader upon a power cycle.

I've tried doing it on both slots to see if anything might help, but it hasn't yet.

My phone tells me "no valid slot to boot" for the reason just like those above, but nothing seems to help.

EDIT: I cannot apply an OTA update, either. Seeing as I can't unlock the device and validate the RSA key, the device is 'unauthorized' for ADB.
I don't know if this will help you, but hopefully it will help someone else:
I was unable to get my pixel 4a (sunfish) to boot after flashing stock, as well, with an error about no valid boot slot. However, running the flash tool through the browser fixed the problem. You'll need a chromium-based browser like Brave, but it got my phone working again.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I had the same problem, ADB was unauthorised, so I was unable to to do anything with that.
    When I was in the 'Fastboot Mode', the command:
    $ fastboot devices
    was unable to find my device, and therefore I was unable to flash the stock boot.img.

I solved it by selecting 'Power Off' in 'Fastboot Mode' and when the screen turned black, I did press and hold the Volume Down button until the device rebooted into 'Fastboot Mode'. Now my device was detected in when calling the command '$ fastboot devices'.
    I do not remember if my device was connected via USB to the computer at that time of reboot.
    Then I reflashed the stock boot.img (as flashing the magisk_boot.img never succeeded), and my telephone booted succesfully up unrooted. Then I generated a new patched boot image via Magisk, and rerooted the device without any problems.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone