No way to sync with Exchange calendar? WTF?

Search This thread

cuitao

Oct 12, 2009
google only want you to sync to google server, so no way to sync to others
this time i understand why some people say android is spyware

technogecko6

Jan 7, 2010
Just like you I was shocked when looking through my device that I could NOT natively sync my Exchange calendar... coming from my iphone, this feels a bit cold.

When I talked to a coworker, however, he said his DROID can do it via a "corporate" style account setting... which seems mysteriously lacking on the Nexus One. Is this true? If so, shouldn't the Nexus One (being that DROID and N1 are both "stock" style devices) have the same settings?!

Unfortunatly, the google desktop app doesnt work for me. My company has our computers locked down so we cannot install apps that require writing to protected areas (like an Outlook plugin), and they already shot down my request to get it installed. That is a fragmented experience anyway, since if my computer goes to sleep I lose my syncing of events for that time period.

I don't want to use something like Touchdown, unless there is an app out there that will put the exchange calendar items into my default google calendar app on the N1 device itself... I don't want MULTIPLE calendar applications to worry about... grr.

Anyone know if this is a setting that a modified rom might be able to make available to us in the future?

setzer715

Jan 29, 2009
North Phoenix
Just like you I was shocked when looking through my device that I could NOT natively sync my Exchange calendar... coming from my iphone, this feels a bit cold.

When I talked to a coworker, however, he said his DROID can do it via a "corporate" style account setting... which seems mysteriously lacking on the Nexus One. Is this true? If so, shouldn't the Nexus One (being that DROID and N1 are both "stock" style devices) have the same settings?!

Unfortunatly, the google desktop app doesnt work for me. My company has our computers locked down so we cannot install apps that require writing to protected areas (like an Outlook plugin), and they already shot down my request to get it installed. That is a fragmented experience anyway, since if my computer goes to sleep I lose my syncing of events for that time period.

I don't want to use something like Touchdown, unless there is an app out there that will put the exchange calendar items into my default google calendar app on the N1 device itself... I don't want MULTIPLE calendar applications to worry about... grr.

Anyone know if this is a setting that a modified rom might be able to make available to us in the future?

I dont use my google calendar or contacts, just my exchange so touchdown works just fine for me.

student.driver

Feb 3, 2009
I guess I don't see the mystery in why it isn't there. Google probably doesn't want to foot the bill for licensing the connector in its own apps, and I doubt there's a licensing model that's consistent with the rest of the Android OS being open source. So, you have to get an app to do it. Now, that can come from the handset maker or a 3rd party. No biggie, but it should be somewhat obvious.

Chinpokomon

Feb 9, 2009
If you push this http://nex.ppckitchen.org/MotoCAL.apk to system/app if will pull your exchange calendar right to the device and give u the calendar widget as well. I have been using it and verified it works.

Awesome! That was the one area that I was feeling some pain. I like Touchdown and RoadSync, but I never liked how it was a different framework and not integrated in with my Google Calendar items. I got really use to the Rogers ROMs for the G1, and I was just gritting my teeth until a better solution came along. This will probably do for me for now. I'll give it a whirl and see.

NexVision

May 10, 2005
Awesome! That was the one area that I was feeling some pain. I like Touchdown and RoadSync, but I never liked how it was a different framework and not integrated in with my Google Calendar items. I got really use to the Rogers ROMs for the G1, and I was just gritting my teeth until a better solution came along. This will probably do for me for now. I'll give it a whirl and see.
Yeah when mine came in I got pretty upset there was exchange support but no calendar sync and starting playing made a few changes to it and bam got it working :) no need for touchdown.

dadicool

Jan 7, 2010
Anybody tried NexVision's trick?

I am not in the mood to install the android sdk to push the MotoCal package just to find out that it doesn't work for non rooted phones ...

Anybody can confirm that this package works for a stock phone?

Thanks!

Chinpokomon

Feb 9, 2009
I am not in the mood to install the android sdk to push the MotoCal package just to find out that it doesn't work for non rooted phones ...

Anybody can confirm that this package works for a stock phone?

Thanks!

I can't get it installed for stock... I can't get it installed over ADB because I haven't rooted yet and ADB install MotoCAL.apk works, but the app FCs. I presume that it needs to be installed in system/app.

Last edited:

DRO4LIFE

Jul 25, 2008
adb push filelocation/MotoCAL.apk system/app

Does it have to be rooted? I got the USB driver installed, and I see it in my computer as Android Phone\Android ADB Interface, but the adb push gives me the following:

"C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb push C:\AndroidApps\MotoCAL.apk system/app error: device not found"

DRO4LIFE

Jul 25, 2008
I've been a WinMo user for a LONG time, flashing htc handsets for years, this is my first Android device, so I feel like a complete noob. Thanks for helping me out if you can.