Nobody going to talk about display uniformity??!!!

Search This thread

20degrees

Oct 11, 2012
If $800 is a lot of money to a person, then perhaps they should consider a value phone or wait a year for the price to drop. You are getting what you pay for. Under the right circumstances, just about every screen suffers from a non-uniformity and that only gets worse with every day of use. Whether it's a TV, phone, monitor, etc. The technology isn't perfect and the only thing over-saturation from Samsung does to combat that is blind you.

I do know your history, because you told us. You claimed you had five bad OLED displays in a row. Maybe you did, I'm not doubting you. It's just it would be very strange indeed. I know some people who like to return high end HD TVs until they get a "good one". They return two or three BIG TVs back to the store due to slight perceived faults they OCD over. Whereas other people use buy those same TV models with no issues whatsoever. And this happens CONSISTENTLY to these people. They just have the worst luck, it seems!

I know I've posted glowing articles written by tech writers comparing the LG V30 display favorably to Samsung displays. I've found articles where other OEMs are going to start using LG OLED displays on their flagship phones. Yet you seem to gravitate to the very few negative reports, as if they are gospel.

Many of us on XDA are phone aficionados. This is our hobby. We like to discuss it.

But you seem to spend so much time complaining about the cost of this phone and how it should be perfect, then please don't buy it.

If you complain this much about the LG V30 and I don't think you've actually touched the phone, think how much you'll be disappointed once you buy it. ;)

You also keep throwing around the $800 price point. No one need pay that much. That's "suggested price", not "street price". Let me give you tips on how to buy an LG phone. LG phones in particular drop in price dramatically in weeks after release. You wait a couple of months, then buy from professional cell phone dealers on eBay or Amazon. Look at the LG G6, as a recent example. On eBay, the LG G6 is currently going for $400- $450, which is about $200 - $250 less (don't forget taxes!) than when released in April/May 2017. BRAND NEW, FREE SHIPPING, NO TAX. These are wholesalers who are willing to take less profit than carrier retail stores. Same exact phones, just lower price.

I'll be buying mine once the carrier unlocked version is not only released, but also added to the official bootloader unlock list. So, probably end of December/early January. By then the phone should be $599 - $650 range? Who knows, maybe even lower than $599. Still nothing to sneeze at but not "$800" (plus taxes).

Let me explain something to you. I don't buy phones from unauthorized dealers/sellers. So that $800 for me to get it at release date, is the cost

And I could care less what your hobbies are. Im into what I'm into at the time I'm discussing it.

If $800 is a lot of money to a person, then perhaps they should consider a value phone or wait a year for the price to drop. .

Basically, you were saying that $800 wasn't a lot of money. How am I trolling, by debating and correcting what you state?

---------- Post added at 11:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

Like it makes any difference or like you can use Samsung garbage if it's for free, but you won't pay for them your own money
Galaxy S8 has major issues with display, same as in v30

Give me a chevy and I'll drive it for free, who wouldn't? I wouldn't buy one though. You guys seem to be uneducated individuals.

And no, I wouldn't buy a Samsung. But with lg releasing the G5 and G6, why not use something for free until something else comes out that's worth my money?

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Let me explain something to you. I don't buy phones from unauthorized dealers/sellers. So that $800 for me to get it at release date, is the cost

And I could care less what your hobbies are. Im into what I'm into at the time I'm discussing

You still get full LG warranty. I know because LG repaired one under warranty, which I bought from eBay dealer, still new in the box. AT&T LG G2, bought from Hong Kong.

You might learn something new if you listen. ;)

Last edited:

20degrees

Oct 11, 2012
You still get full LG warranty. I know because LG repaired one under warranty, which I bought from eBay dealer, still new in the box. AT&T LG G2, bought from Hong Kong.

You might learn something new if you listen. ;)

It's not about the warranty. I'm gonna void that soon after purchase to root. But if the device is flawed before I root, I will not have the hassle of dealing with eBay or a seller that's not officially authorized.

Yead. Exactly the reason why I haven't paid $800 for Galaxy S8. It's flawed.

And it's not like everybody here gonna buy V30 for $800, some will wait till pricedrops, black fridays etc

I know the s8 is flawed. Never said it wasn't. The one I have though, has a screen that's good. The first one has the red tint really bad in the right corner. It went back and I got this one.

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
It's not about the warranty. I'm gonna void that soon after purchase to root. But if the device is flawed before I root, I will not have the hassle of dealing with eBay or a seller that's not officially authorized.

I know the s8 is flawed. Never said it wasn't. The one I have though, has a screen that's good. The first one has the red tint really bad in the right corner. It went back and I got this one.
"Flawed" fits under warranty category. Your can choose to return it to seller or send it to LG for warranty claim.

Also if you use credit cards to pay, yes even on eBay, you have rights there to claim. EBay once tried to make me do arbitration on a phone worth several hundred dollars and instead I did a chargeback on my credit card.

Last place I would ever get a phone is carrier store.

Last edited:

Septembersrain

Mar 10, 2011
San Antonio
I can't wait to see it on demo at a T-Mobile store. I am really interested in the Quad DAC and f/1.6 aperture. I'm between this and the Note 8.

I'm ready to get away from iPhone. Apple has become crap with this Intel modem inferiority and I'd like to get a signal when I'm in a huge city like San Antonio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20degrees

Oct 11, 2012
"Flawed" fits under warranty category. Your can choose to return it to seller or send it to LG for warranty claim.

Also if you use credit cards to pay, yes even on eBay, you have rights there to claim. EBay once tried to make me do arbitration on a phone worth several hundred dollars and instead I did a chargeback on my credit card.

Last place I would ever get a phone is carrier store.
I'm done with carrier phones. If it wasn't for the free s8+, I would've jumped to something I can root. I was holding out for the next lg or the mi mix 2. And the mix 2 is a disappointment imo.

Reactions: ChazzMatt

Billy Madison

Dec 31, 2011
I know the s8 is flawed. Never said it wasn't. The one I have though, has a screen that's good.
THIS.
What if you'll buy V30 which got perfect screen?

And second, if one of S8 is flawed you still don't say that ALL Galaxy S8 are flawed and hence not worth their $800. So why you say so about all and every v30?
The first one has the red tint really bad in the right corner. It went back and I got this one.
Maybe SOME V30 have more banding in low greys and some have less banding? Maybe it's not so bad in every V30's display as we are being persuaded here? The amount and scale of bandings in blacks and greys is yet unknown. And secondly, bandings in grey is the core attribute of OLED/AMOLED tech, Samsungs AMOLED have that same problem too, as well as do LG's OLED TV panels. It's yet to be beaten, conquered

20degrees

Oct 11, 2012
THIS.
What if you'll buy V30 which got perfect screen?

And second, if one of S8 is flawed you still don't say that ALL Galaxy S8 are flawed and hence not worth their $800. So why you say so about all and every v30?

Maybe SOME V30 have more banding in low greys and some have less banding? Maybe it's not so bad in every V30's display as we are being persuaded here? The amount and scale of bandings in blacks and greys is yet unknown. And secondly, bandings in grey is the core attribute of OLED/AMOLED tech, Samsungs AMOLED have that same problem too, as well as do LG's OLED TV panels. It's yet to be beaten, conquered
I never said all the v30's had this issue.. I'm hoping they don't. If I thought all did, I wouldn't even chance it. I'm gonna buy one and try my luck. If it has an unacceptable screen, it will be exchanged until I get one that's acceptable.

Reactions: Cobra04

20degrees

Oct 11, 2012
Man, I'm hoping I get a good one directly from lg when the unlocked is released. The phone and features are really good except this flaw. I'm sure there's lots more out there that are flawed other than what's posted.

Those that say they don't use a certain brightness or whatever, don't matter. I use my brightness all the way down a lot in the bedroom or dark areas.

Billy Madison

Dec 31, 2011

Now that you can see here what it's like when you tell people what you've seen yourself but they just don't care for your opinion and evidence of same Galaxy S8 flaws and keep saying that Galaxy S8 doesn't have ones and is perfect. While it's not and have blotches too as well as PWM

Killua96

Apr 5, 2012
Castelvetro di Modena
Lol seems like a lottery like on previous Samsung and Op3...
At least this is a problem that appears in low brightness conditions, and not in any situations, but having part of the display LEDs to receive a major amount of current could lead to different future problems...
I'll wait 'till December to see if the issue is still present, if it is I'll try with Amazon or wait for the Nokia 9 :fingers-crossed:

20degrees

Oct 11, 2012
Now that you can see here what it's like when you tell people what you've seen yourself but they just don't care for your opinion and evidence of same Galaxy S8 flaws and keep saying that Galaxy S8 doesn't have ones and is perfect. While it's not and have blotches too as well as PWM
It's not opinion. It's fact. That's a person in denial. And as you can see from there, I'm no troll or fan boy. I'm real about issues just like I am here.

Reactions: Billy Madison

jcsww

It's not opinion. It's fact. That's a person in denial. And as you can see from there, I'm no troll or fan boy. I'm real about issues just like I am here.

I didn't see anything terrible about the screen in the video posted. I know a couple of people who now have V30's and have no complaints with them. I won't be home until late next week though to actually meet up with them and see them in person.

Is there some way to specifically identify the panels to try and see this issue? With the original Mi MIX, the panels were made by two different companies. The Sharp panel was basically calibrated better in the end. The other panel was correctable with a few different apps from the Play Store.

Reactions: ChazzMatt

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't think that you all are getting it. I'll explain again.

If you don't have the device and thus no experience with the device than your opinion is just a regurgitation from someone else. Who you choose to believe is your business. I'm just saying that it is a waste of your time to come here and repeat the regurgitation. Your favorite internet reviewer has a negative opinion and you choose to adopt it, good for you, keep it to your self. Isn't this what shilling means?

If you have purchased the device and have had a display issue its an anomaly so go and exchange it. If your crappy carrier only let you exchange it once well sucks to be you. Go find a carrier that doesn't suck. Quit taking it out in the phone manufacturers. Crap happens with all manufacturers. A single batch can be bad. Im sure its possible. Dont come here and say that it's fact that this is a widespread problem. Dont come here and say a majority of people have an issue. Dont come here and say that most or all reviewers are giving negative review.

A couple of folks keep coming here regurgitating from Reddit. Look, if you believe everything that you read from the internet then you have other issues. How would I even know if everyone who claims that they have an issue even has the device or just copying others? I don't. What matters ti me is proof. There are a few pics of bad screens, that is fact. There are alot of pics of Great screens, that is fact. Are the pics of bad screens preproduction or bad batch phones? Probably. Are the Great screens that we've all seen pics of on the internet the standard and what to expect? Probably.

And lastly the Sammy lovers. " the LG phones shouldn't look or be a certain way because I own a Sammy and it's better!" Great if you feel this way. Good for you. Keep buying Sammy phones. It won't matter to anyone if you do. Here's probably a fact: Sammy makes the best OLED screens. If someone compares an LG screen to a Sammy screen 9 times out of 10 they will pick the Sammy screen. Does this mean that the LG screen is bad or have issues? No it does not. You comparing a Sammy display to an LG display then saying that Sammy is better IS NOT the same as saying there are widespread issues with the LG display. Know the difference.

If you come here comment without owning the device and claiming to own a bunch of Sammy devices and then talking bad about LG you are just demonstrating classic fanboy behavior. See it for what it is.
    And don't worry Sammy wont go under if LG has a phone of the year:good:
    I can confirm that bluish tint is noticeable at around 45 degrees on white (becomes blue) and yellow (becomes green) colors. Tested it using "Screen test" app (by Oleksii Ustenko) on my new v30 which came from Korea 2 days ago. However, there are no problems with screen uniformity on any brightness.
    I'm happy with the screen and the device itself :cool:
    I just wanted to stop by and let everyone know that I received the V30 from TMO.

The display is perfect and I have absolutely no complaints about the brightness, bleed, or uniformity.

Another satisfied customer.:cowboy:
    Ok, boys and girls, listen up.

1. Everthing mass produced is very likely to have some sort of "issue" or another.
    2. Depending on the maufacturing expertise, along with QC methods, some items may experience a larger variance of issues compared to others.

I've owned a TON of phones and I've never had a single phone with a screen that was absolutely perfect. There's always been one issue or another, some of which other people don't notice but I do. EVERY iphone I've had, has had a screen that has had a darker yellow area somewhere on the screen, no matter which model/year the phone was and how many times I exchanged it trying to get that perfect screen. Unfortunately, my eyes are super sensitive to changes in color even if very slight. Even my Note 8, the first screen had a slightly pink hue to the bottom 3rd of the screen, with a slightly yellow hue to the top 3rd, with the middle somewhere in between (Theses were very slight shifts that not everyone will notice). They replaced my screen and this screen is the closest thing to perfection compared to every screen I've ever had. 98% of the screen is absolutely PERFECT uniformity wise. Still, theres a slight pink hue to the top edge of the screen (about half the height of the status bar). Samsung is undoubtedly the best when it comes to making OLED's for phones as they've had almost a decade of experience in manufacturing these things, but again, anything that's mass produced is most likely to have some issue with it. It's actually pretty amazing the quality of these panels are what they are when you consider the challenge to get millions of pixels to be identical in both color and brightness. With that being said, you'd be a fool to think that LG might not be experiencing heavy manufacturing issues when it comes to screen variations. As said before, Samsung has been in the game much longer with manufacturing for phones on a large scale, and they are still plenty of possible imperfections. It's just that over the years, they've been able to iron out the largest issues so these imperfections are much more subtle. LG will have to go through that same phase.

Now, with that being said, if you want to check the screen on your phone:

1. DON'T test the screen at ridiculously low brightnesses on a grey screen. It literally makes no sense to look for an issue that you'd never actually encounter in real world use, and then get a replacement that has an issue that you actually will encounter in real world use.

2. DON'T test the screen by putting a solid color background. Your eyes and brain plays tricks on you. They have a great way of ignoring subtle changes in color if theres' nothing to break those gradients up. This is the same reason that every time you look at yourself in the mirror, you don't notice subtle changes to your appearance, only to look at a picture from a year ago and say "what the hell, I didn't look like that".

3. DO test in low ambient light, incident light masks problems with the light coming out of the screen. Ever go into an apple store to try and show the "geniuses" yellow tints in the bottom part of the screen? I have, TONS of times, and I myself struggled to see the issue. I spend a lot of time in my office which I keep dimly lit, so the issue is always much more obvious.

3. DO test your screen on a white background webpage. Personally, EVER display issue I've ever had when it comes to color/brightness uniformity, it's ALWAYS been possible to see it on a white webpage. This is also important since they are more webpages with whitish backgrounds than any other color. Now, I said webpages, because you need something to break up the gradients in the background color (such as text) so your eyes don't play tricks on you. As I mentioned, the top half of my Note 8 status bar has a very slight pink hue that can only be seen on white pages, the thing is though, I'd never really notice if the status symbols werent there to break of the ever so slight gradient.

This was a long post, but I thought I'd go ahead and bring some first hand experience over a very long period of first hand experiences rather than simply going the "All these reports are because this site are [insert company here] fans" which is where this thread seems to be heading.
    I read that review and just couldn't believe the reviewer did not check to see if this was a defective unit. That is just plain unprofessional, if you ask me. I have reviewed high-end audio gear for years for several publications and if I had a major issue with any piece of gear, I would always consult the manufacturer about a possible defective unit before I published a review that trashed the product because of it. That was the clearly stated editorial policy at two of the mags I worked for. It's ok to recount your experience and let people know you got a bad unit (and that there might possibly be others in the supply chain), but to be as dismissive as this Verge guy was is just poor review journalism. I guess it can be said that LG didn't cherry pick the review samples (if in fact this review phone was not purchased through a normal retail source). The fact is, you will hear about the defective screens way more often than you will hear about all the perfectly good ones. I can't believe that I somehow hit the V30 screen lottery jackpot and mine is uniquely perfect--- I now can't make out any banding at all even at the lowest brightness setting and i have zero light bleeding issues or lack of uniformity. That tells me the LG p-oled screen is NOT inherently flawed. Perhaps the earliest run of phones had a higher percentage of defective ones due to manufacturing glitches. Every single phone manufacturer experiences a certain percentage (hopefully low) of defective units. The real question should be how does LG handle these defective phones with warranty returns/exchanges.

No, man, you're not helpful, you're like Verge both crying wolfs and tell people FUD. People wouldn't even try to go to stores and choose their own V30, instead they'll think that ALL and ANY V30 is defective so it's not worth checking in store. And that's that moment when Samsung get huge win in their pockets, for your efforts. And LG will gain just another quarter losses. But why? just because some Samsung shills may cry everywhere about how lg is inferior and can evade to be sued

Glad it wasn't just me who found the Verge review unprofessional. It's not just that LG can do no wrong (hello LG G5). But if they had conducted a review as stuartmc notes stating the unit may be defective, then that's fine. If they said the screen was inferior due to light bleed (I think that was a Nexus, not sure), that is fine. Any objective observation would have been fine. But the tone was dismissive. And I am sure the reviewer knows that the banding is an issue only on some units, with others having no issue at all. No one is saying it isn't an issue. But just like not all Galaxy Note 7 exploded nor were all Iphone 6 bent to make Beckam proud, similarly not all V30s are defective.

images