• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Nokia 3 fastboot boot loop

Search This thread

andres_vacal

Dec 2, 2020
Bogotá, Colombia
we've established that I must have somehow accidentally deleted the ROM in installing TWRP.

You mentioned you accidentally deleted the ROM. How did you go about fixing your problem?
I've looked everywhere online for Nokia 3 TA-1032 stock firmware but all I can find are dead google drive links. How did you fix your issue? Or was yours with a different model of phone?
So we can do three things now, 1. Just give up and buy a new phone😭 or 2. Learn how to adapt a costume ROM for the device, make it compatible and try to run it by our selves. Or 3. Call Nokia's support if you haven't, but generally the stock brands don't help too much in these cases.

Totalitor

Oct 17, 2020
Mine was with an Asus, and the only way I could fix the horrible bootloop was managing to install the stock un-official ROM made from a well known developer. I just did a short research on this case, and all the solutions on internet say you need the ROM like I just told you, so I think there is no way if we cannot find a ROM for the device.
I may have been using the wrong versions of the stock firmware. There seem to be various types of firmware available for the Nokia 3 TA-1032.

Of the few non-dead links I've found, this link here offers 3 types of NE1- type firmware. While most of the others seem to offer MT6735- type firmware. This one in particular seems to offer both MT6735 and an NE1-5180-type which wasn't offered on that first link. I can't remember which one exactly came with my phone but I do remember that before I was unable to boot my phone normally, the adb devices command would print a string that began with NE1.

I guess I'll try flashing them all and crossing my fingers that at least one of them works? In the meantime, just to make sure I'm doing this properly, the correct procedure to flash a stock ROM, is it as simple as just connecting the phone to my computer which already has the appropriate USB drivers installed, opening adb tools and using "fastboot flash Nokia_3_5180-0-00WW-B03_OST.zip"? Or am I missing out any steps?

Alternatively, do you know of a way I can check which firmware is the right one?

edit: every time I do "fastboot flash Nokia_3_5180-0-00WW-B03_OST.zip" for example, it says
"error: cannot determine image filename for 'Nokia_3_5180-0-00WW-B03_OST.zip'", do you know what I'm doing wrong?

Last edited:

Totalitor

Oct 17, 2020
So we can do three things now, 1. Just give up and buy a new phone😭 or 2. Learn how to adapt a costume ROM for the device, make it compatible and try to run it by our selves. Or 3. Call Nokia's support if you haven't, but generally the stock brands don't help too much in these cases.
If what I just posted doesn't end up working, I'll gladly learn how to adapt a custom ROM for the device if you can point me in the right direction as to how to learn what exactly I'll need to know in order to do it.

andres_vacal

Dec 2, 2020
Bogotá, Colombia
I may have been using the wrong versions of the stock firmware. There seem to be various types of firmware available for the Nokia 3 TA-1032.

Of the few non-dead links I've found, this link here offers 3 types of NE1- type firmware. While most of the others seem to offer MT6735- type firmware. This one in particular seems to offer both MT6735 and an NE1-5180-type which wasn't offered on that first link. I can't remember which one exactly came with my phone but I do remember that before I was unable to boot my phone normally, the adb devices command would print a string that began with NE1.

I guess I'll try flashing them all and crossing my fingers that at least one of them works? In the meantime, just to make sure I'm doing this properly, the correct procedure to flash a stock ROM, is it as simple as just connecting the phone to my computer which already has the appropriate USB drivers installed, opening adb tools and using "fastboot flash Nokia_3_5180-0-00WW-B03_OST.zip"? Or am I missing out any steps?

Alternatively, do you know of a way I can check which firmware is the right one?

edit: every time I do "fastboot flash Nokia_3_5180-0-00WW-B03_OST.zip" for example, it says
"error: cannot determine image filename for 'Nokia_3_5180-0-00WW-B03_OST.zip'", do you know what I'm doing wrong?
It depends on the firmware or OS you have, somo of them are flashed by an special program, others from fastboot and others from recovery image (rather stock or TWRP). I recommend to check out what the developer said on how to flash. If it doesn't say anything try to pass via adb-commands (Push filename.zip /scarf/) the firmware to internal or external storage and flash it through TWRP

Totalitor

Oct 17, 2020
It depends on the firmware or OS you have, somo of them are flashed by an special program, others from fastboot and others from recovery image (rather stock or TWRP). I recommend to check out what the developer said on how to flash. If it doesn't say anything try to pass via adb-commands (Push filename.zip /scarf/) the firmware to internal or external storage and flash it through TWRP
Transferring the zip files to the phone's sd card and attempting to install using TWRP just outputs "Invalid zip file format!
Error installing zip file '/sdcard/gsmxt.com_NE1-3380-0-00WW-B01.full.zip' "

Any idea what's causing this? I get the same error will all the other types of firmware

andres_vacal

Dec 2, 2020
Bogotá, Colombia
Transferring the zip files to the phone's sd card and attempting to install using TWRP just outputs "Invalid zip file format!
Error installing zip file '/sdcard/gsmxt.com_NE1-3380-0-00WW-B01.full.zip' "

Any idea what's causing this? I get the same error will all the other types of firmware
Try out another version of TWRP, and make sure its flasheable via TWRP (not stock recovery)

andres_vacal

Dec 2, 2020
Bogotá, Colombia
How can I find out whether it's flashable via stock recovery or TWRP?

And for reference, I'm using TWRP version 3.1 (hearts) available here

From that thread it looks like this version of TWRP tends to give that error with most zips.
It seems to have some issues, is it the only TWRP version available?, Sometimes roms are flashed able through fastboot commands, try out that.

Totalitor

Oct 17, 2020
It seems to have some issues, is it the only TWRP version available?, Sometimes roms are flashed able through fastboot commands, try out that.
It just returns "error: cannot return image filename"

edit: Or at least that's what I got when doing "fastboot flash name_of_.zip".
In trying "fastboot flash system name_of_.zip", it actually attempted to write the file but it kept printing out error messages such as "
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 503202650 is not a multiple of the block size 4096", saying at the beginng:

[email protected]:/tmp/platform-tools# ./fastboot -i 0x2e04 flash system Update.zip
target reported max download size of 134217728 bytes
Invalid sparse file format at header magi
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 1576911706 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 1442698074 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 1308484442 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 1174270810 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 1040057178 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 905843546 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 771629914 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 637416282 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 503202650 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 368989018 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 234775386 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 100561754 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
erasing 'system'...

In the end it completed after printing more errors but upon reboot, it just brought me back to a stock recovery screen. It didn't restore normal operation

Last edited:

andres_vacal

Dec 2, 2020
Bogotá, Colombia
It just returns "error: cannot return image filename"

edit: Or at least that's what I got when doing "fastboot flash name_of_.zip".
In trying "fastboot flash system name_of_.zip", it actually attempted to write the file but it kept printing out error messages such as "
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 503202650 is not a multiple of the block size 4096", saying at the beginng:

In the end it completed after printing more errors but upon reboot, it just brought me back to a stock recovery screen. It didn't restore normal operation
My god...
Probably (as spected) the zip file is not flasheable through fastboot.
Are you sure you wiped data, cache and Dalvik for each and everyone of the files you tried to flash through TWRP? And also on stock recovery?

Edit: If I'm honest with you I'm just running out of knowledge, we can try what I said before but that is the hardest thing to do.

Totalitor

Oct 17, 2020
My god...
Are you sure you wiped data, cache and Dalvik for each and everyone of the files you tried to flash through TWRP? And also on stock recovery?

Edit: If I'm honest with you I'm just running out of knowledge, we can try what I said before but that is the hardest thing to do.
I don't think I wiped data, cache and Dalvik. But every time I flash a stock recovery image and select the option to update from sd card, the screen just goes black for a moment before returning to the recovery menu.

Edit: I flashed a newer version of TWRP I found here, mentioned in this thread and now when use TWRP, it tells me that there is no OS installed and when I use ./adb devices, it successfully tells me my serial number again. It starts with NE1 like I remembered. This may be a sign I'm on the right track...

Last edited:

andres_vacal

Dec 2, 2020
Bogotá, Colombia
My god...
Are you sure you wiped data, cache and Dalvik for each and everyone of the files you tried to flash through TWRP?.
Very good man, sure this is the right track, so try to flash the zip files you tried before and remember before you try to flash a zip: wipe data, cache and Dalvik ONLY for the system not to have any remanents of the previus flash.

Totalitor

Oct 17, 2020
Very good man, sure this is the right track, so try to flash the zip files you tried before and remember before you try to flash a zip: wipe data, cache and Dalvik ONLY for the system not to have any remanents of the previus flash.
I downloaded a ROM for android 9.0 Pie for the Nokia 3 and tried sideloading it with ADB while in TWRP recovery. I selected to wipe cache and dalvik, but it output:
Can not create 'hidden/emmc_hidden' folder (No such file or directory).
Can not create 'hidden/data' folder (No such file or directory).
Updating partition details...
Failed to mount 'hidden/emmc_hidden' (No such file or directory)
Failed to mount 'hidden/data' (No such file or directory)
Failed to mount '/system' (Invalid argument)
...dine
Full SELinux support is present.
MTP enabled
Starting ADB sideload feature...
Installing zip file 'sideload/package.zip'
Invalid zip file format![\QUOTE]