• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Nokia 7 plus google camera HDR+ ZSL

Search This thread

RolloBollo

Apr 15, 2018
Can confirm that the Arnova8G2 based mods are working on my new Nokia 7 plus.
Yesterday a new version (GoogleCamera-Pixel3Mod) was released, with some UI and speed improvements (at higher HDR+ parameter) I noted.

XDA link:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=76235335&postcount=3541

The Nokia camera app doesn't come even close to the results of the gcam mods.
I noticed often a very high exposure in daylight and much more noisier in low light (agressive ISO ramp up) settings.

Sep 14, 2017
chennai
Yesterday a new version (GoogleCamera-Pixel3Mod) was released, with some UI and speed improvements (at higher HDR+ parameter) I noted.

XDA link:

I noticed often a very high exposure in daylight and much more noisier in low light (agressive ISO ramp up) settings.

Thanks .. for the review of google camera on Nokia 7 plus

Last edited:

leoneoleoneo

Dec 27, 2010

XDA link:

Nokia 7 plus does not support 1080p 60fps video originally. Does this app make it available on the phone cam?
Thank you

RolloBollo

Apr 15, 2018
Nokia 7 plus does not support 1080p 60fps video originally. Does this app make it available on the phone cam?
Thank you

Like the Nokia Camera I can only choose between different resolutions of 4K, 1080p, 720p but not the framerate.
I didn't find any setting in the dev options either. Maybe there is a tweak within the gcam mod I'm not aware of, to change the framerate (chipset should support this) but the testvideo I recorded is at 30FPS.

iamwyim

Oct 24, 2011

XDA link:

@RolloBollo, Would you mind if you could make some shots at night or in evening, so that we can clearly see the differences between the GCam and Nokia Camera Pro at low light condition?

Swayzed

Aug 29, 2015
Is there any reason to believe that the Pixel camera app apk would also bring 4k video stabilization to the table on the Nokia 7 plus in a usefull way? This phones seems to tick every box except that one...

I`ve seen a video of stabilization via the pixel app done on the Xiaomi A1, but the results were merely meh. The nokia however has a more capable snapdragon 660.

RolloBollo

Apr 15, 2018
@RolloBollo, Would you mind if you could make some shots at night or in evening, so that we can clearly see the differences between the GCam and Nokia Camera Pro at low light condition?

Can do, first set is 30min before, 2nd set 25 min after and 3rd set 40min after sunset with slight light from apartment above.

All shots were made free hand in auto mode with HDR forced.
The nokia cam tends to be more inconsistent over follow up shots, the best out of 3 shots were choosen.
Lighting to the real thing is always closest on gcam, but both are overexposing in low light settings, bringing in more light than in reality was.

Dr. lele

Nov 4, 2010
Moto G
Xiaomi Poco F1
Reactions: zapotek777

RolloBollo

Apr 15, 2018
Can we directly install gcam APK in Nokia 7 plus or we have to enable camera2api to get access of it if so how to enable camera2api

I did just install the linked Pixel3Mod, no further modification needed, I think the Camera2api is already enabled by default.

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

When I try to download that it says 'error parsing package' could you share the APK in some other way?

Maybe try it again on a desktop PC, sounds like the transfer was corrupted. You have obviously allow installation of APKs from other sources first.

---------- Post added at 02:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 PM ----------

Thanks for the effort, im on the wall about this phone, depends on camera performance. Have you tried to shoot video with the Gcam app? Is there any eis stabilization happening when shooting 4k?

There is a difference, but it is just an EIS, so I saw some jerking at times.

iamwyim

Oct 24, 2011
Can do, first set is 30min before, 2nd set 25 min after and 3rd set 40min after sunset with slight light from apartment above.

All shots were made free hand in auto mode with HDR forced.
The nokia cam tends to be more inconsistent over follow up shots, the best out of 3 shots were choosen.
Lighting to the real thing is always closest on gcam, but both are overexposing in low light settings, bringing in more light than in reality was.

Thanks for your help??
From the set of photos you have taken, It seems for me that there are still have noisees and losing details once you have zoom into the photo. However, it seems to be better than Nokia 8.

Spacefroak

Apr 18, 2018
The Pixel2mod and the Pixel3mod version gave me strange color artefacts in every picture(but not in de live viewfinder). The previous version, named GCam, works however just fine.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    GCam_6.1.021_N7P_test2.2
    Changes vs. test2.1 :
    - Under Advanced -> Port settings | (More advanced settings) :
    ---> Added "Pixel 3 AWB" (thanks to @Tomar777's suggestion and Toylann009's ports): this is turned on by default. I observed that when toggled ON, it produces more accurate and natural colors. Note that this only affects the rear camera. Check the comparison here.
    ---> Changed "Use custom lib" to Eszdman v3: I haven't done any tests here, but anyone might be interested. Stock lib is still my personal preference.
    - Added "Lens Blur" mode: toggle is on the left of Panorama. A bonus addition since I really don't use it, but again someone might be interested.
    - Performance improvements: I hope I'm right about this. So far it's working better in my device. #seemsfaster

NOTE: fresh re-install or "clear storage" after installation is recommended to clear up isolated cases like crashing Portrait Mode, etc.

Known issues:
    - Tap-to-focus in video mode breaks autofocus; workaround is switching to other modes and back.
    - Manual white balance in camera mode doesn't work (even in other ports, I believe). But it works in Photobooth; in Portrait Mode, it works after tapping the screen to focus. Suggested workarounds are (1) to use Portrait Mode for taking photos that need manual white balance adjustments, or (2) post-editing the photo.
    - Tap-to-focus doesn't seem to work in Lens Blur mode.
    - There might be instabilities with heavy usage.

Whew, I can't believe I still managed to make an update with my very tight schedule. Haha. The previous v2.1 was my main driver for the past weeks, and I suppose these minor updates are worth it. Okay, back to work and studying. Again, this port needs no extra config. Cheers!

Download:
    GCam_6.1.021_N7P_test2.2apk
    GCam_6.1.021_N7P_test1.2
    Changes vs. test1.1 :
    - Fixed tap-to-focus crash bug in video mode
    - Added "Save portraits to DCIM/Camera/" under Advanced (thanks to Toylan009's port)
    - Minor UI tweaks

I feel like I had to rush and post this one for the video crash fix. I'll be adding "necessary" features one at a time to keep things stable. I'm still learning this coding stuff, though, so it'll take time for me to get things going. At least everything seems okay so far.

Download:
    GCam_6.1.021_N7P_test1.2.apk
    GCam_6.1.021_N7P_test2.1
    Changes vs. test2 :
    - Under Advanced -> Port settings | (More advanced settings) :
    ---> Added "Saturation adjustments" (thanks to [MENTION]Toylann009[/MENTION]'s and BSG's ports): I included a toggle to apply custom saturation adjustments; if disabled, the default Google settings are used.
    ---> Changed "Use custom lib" to Eszdman v2: in my tests, it does a good job with high contrast scenarios in good light, but tends to produce more noise in low light.
    ---> Added "Maximum brightness" (also thanks to [MENTION]Toylann009[/MENTION]'s port): sets max brightness in viewfinder mode. May consume battery, especially since our device doesn't have OLED display for the black areas of the screen.
    ---> Edited "HDR+ Enhanced frames": Default is now set to =7 (which is Google default).
    - Default JPEG quality is set to 97%: I find this the sweet spot for both quality and image file size.
    - Minor UI edits: a few re-wordings here and there. I've also added a note for the Disable zoom in Portrait mode for added information (read this for more info)

NOTE: fresh re-install or "clear storage" after installation is recommended to clear up isolated cases like crashing Portrait Mode, etc.

Known issues:
    - Tap-to-focus in video mode breaks autofocus; workaround is switching to other modes and back.
    - Manual white balance in camera mode doesn't work (even in other ports, I believe). But it works in Photobooth; in Portrait Mode, it works after tapping the screen to focus. Suggested workarounds are (1) to use Portrait Mode for taking photos that need manual white balance adjustments, or (2) post-editing the photo.
    - There might be instabilities with heavy usage.

P.S. Just to give you guys a heads-up, I may or may not return to this project since I have to begin prioritizing time for work and studies. Looks like these optimizations and additions are enough for the regular user; in most cases, this port needs no extra config. Cheers!

Download:
    GCam_6.1.021_N7P_test2.1.apk
    I will go over these things once, and once only.
    Firstly, let's keep things on-topic and productive here, the topic being the Nokia 7 Plus users who use this mod.
    Talk of which phone is better than which is for other forum areas.
    Secondly this is, again, the Nokia 7 Plus forums. If you want to have the mod on another device, you're welcome to do as other devs have done here and port it to said device, or make a request for it in that devices Q/A forum. You may also try posting in the Google Camera Mods sub-forum.
    Alternatively, you can PM someone you think might be capable of making it happen, but they are under no obligation to you to do it or even respond to your PM. You should also not harass someone via PM under any circumstances.
    Remember, Developers do this work out of their spare time. You are not their boss and this is not their day job.
    Thirdly, I'll remind everyone of the XDA Rules, these ones especially:
    2.1 Language: XDA is a worldwide community. As a result, what may be OK to say in your part of the world, may not be OK elsewhere. Conversely, while reading posts from other members, remember that the word you find offensive may not be offensive to the writer. Tolerance is a two-way street.
    2.3 Flaming / Lack of respect: Never post in a demanding, argumentative, disrespectful or self-righteous manner.
    15. Keep threads / posts on-topic: Whilst a minor amount of off-topic posting may be overlooked, the general rule is that your posts / threads must be relevant to the Forum / thread in which you are posting.
    Future posts of this nature are welcomed to be brought to the attention of the moderation team.
    Thanks.
    GCam_6.1.021_test1.apk
    First attempt to make all "essential" features work. Looks like everything's working nicely, including:
    - All photo things (HDR+, Portrait mode, Panorama, Photo Sphere)
    - Video (I still recommend stock Nokia Camera especially for the OZO audio)
    - Zoom (not sure if Super Res Zoom works, though)
    - Burst shot
    - Night sight
    - Tracking autofocus
    - Motion photos
    - Photobooth
    - Slow motion
    - Auto lens distortion correction (for front camera)
    - Playground (AR stickers) (download here)
    - Launching from lockscreen

Stock settings only, no additional config. However, under Advanced, I added the following toggles:
    - Use Classic Photo Viewer (default uses Google Photos; however, Google Photos has this bug that closes the photo if HDR+ is not yet finished processing)
    - HDR+ Enhanced for Portrait (for those who want increased dynamic range for portrait mode; force close app to apply changes)

This is based on @Arnova8G2's Dec-9 port (original port here). NOTE that this works on my Nokia 7 Plus (TA-1046) on Android 9.0 Pie.

One known issue is with Night Sight where you cannot take a photo after 2 consecutive shots; you need to wait until the first photo is finished processing before you can take another shot. There might be lags and crashes, but it's working fine for me so far.

Download:
    GCam_6.1.021_test1.apk

Special thanks to: @Arnova8G2 for all the base ports and all the help in troubleshooting; B-S-G for the base ports too, source of learnings, and; @cstark27 for all things learned from your Pixel 1/2/3 port page and the source of the Advanced toggles.