Nokia 7 plus google camera HDR+ ZSL

Search This thread
Jan 22, 2020
New Parrot v5 (GCam port 7.4.104)

https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/f/changelog1349/

it can be installed alongside Nikita v1.6 (GCam port 7.4.104)

https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/f/changelog1347/

We need testers to compare this two GCam port :)

ps. On Nikita version second telephoto lens for 2x optical zoom is working!

More important is to get a version which works longer than 1 or 2 weeks. ;)
Each version stop working after latest 2 weeks. (no pic's, green pic's, hang during HDR processing etc.)

Pitada72

May 19, 2020

I have "tested" lots of ports and Nikita it's in my opinion the best so far (1.4 version).
Except slow motion everything works just fine.
Cstark has also great pictures and was my choice for long, but slow motion crash and has no manual focus. So Nikita's 1 4 become my gcam port.
I find this parrots port with a very blueish colour, and you can't change some settings like nikita. So it's very far behind...

Giier

Jan 24, 2020

At the moment, I'm using this Nikita port.
It seems to work fine. I tried the 1x and 2x mode, actually the lenses really works.
There are just a couple of problems:

1-green pictures are recorded, randomly as for other mods, and restart is needed
2-flash is useless, as it's not in synch with the camera shot. When you try to take a pic with flash on, led flashes, but the picture is taken as soon as flash turns off.

I had the same problems with CStark (green pics, flash not in synch). I really liked Cstark port because colors were more realistic, and in any case libraries were very well done.

About Parrot, I noticed the same problems I talked earlier, about green shots (or no recorded pictures). Pictures seemed to be a little blurry, but I didn't checked more deeply.

Danilo Pantelić

Mar 19, 2012
Kragujevac
Quality is almost same comparing nikita v1.6 and parrot v5. Maybe little better photos is with nikita port. Also second lens is working with nikita gcam version so that port is the best for our phone.

Now we need to test options in nikita v1.6:

HDR+ vs HDR+ Enhanced
Screenshot-20200924-223623-2.png

Pixel 4 HDR+ Enhanced
Screenshot-20200924-223349-2.png

Google vs. Nikita NGCam Library
Screenshot-20200924-223529-2.png

After that we can create nokia 7+ config file:

Screenshot-20200924-224748-2.png

which can be uploaded here:
https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/f/configs-nikita-05/

Last edited:

Giier

Jan 24, 2020
Can you ell me about the flash problem? In both versions, Parrot and Nikita, when you take a picture with flash on (or auto), the led is not in synch and the pic is dark.
Thank you in advance.

Giier

Jan 24, 2020
Thank you for your feedback.

This is really strange. If I use N7+ cam, flash works properly. But if I use flash on some gcam ports, like Nikita or Parrot, the flash lights the room half second before the pic is taken, and the result is a dark picture of course.

davewpy

Nov 14, 2010
Central South
Quality is almost same comparing nikita v1.6 and parrot v5. Maybe little better photos is with nikita port. Also second lens is working with nikita gcam version so that port is the best for our phone.

Now we need to test options in nikita v1.6:

HDR+ vs HDR+ Enhanced
Screenshot-20200924-223623-2.png

Pixel 4 HDR+ Enhanced
Screenshot-20200924-223349-2.png

Google vs. Nikita NGCam Library
Screenshot-20200924-223529-2.png

After that we can create nokia 7+ config file:

Screenshot-20200924-224748-2.png

which can be uploaded here:
https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/f/configs-nikita-05/
Did your 2nd camera focus properly?

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

Jan 22, 2020
Has someone test "use instantaneous HDR+ Enhanced" (Pixel 4 HDR+ Enhanced) ?
I've make some photos with both settings but can't see any difference. Both looks identical. I will test more this evening with lower light.

Leonccyiu

Sep 29, 2017
London
I am thinking of downgrading to Android 9 as I don't think there is a gcam port on A10 that is as stable or won't stop working eventually especially with hdr+ enhanced meaning I'll need to restart my device and lose all my Chrome tabs. I also find the picture to be not as good as the cstark port that I used when I first got my phone.

Two weeks ago it was a hot day and my phone wouldn't unlock as my fingers were sweaty, Android 9 on the n7+ had a bug where the unlock screen would loop when you input the pattern and could only be unlocked by fingerprint, after too many attempts, the device crashed and restated for the first time in 9 months which was devastating to me. Another bug Android 9 had was that the WiFi would stop working and I'd have to tether via Bluetooth on another phone for internet. I hope both those bugs were addressed by the latest Android 9 updates if I downgrade.

I've looked at buying a pixel, the latest pixels don't have hdr+ enhanced, only the pixel 4 has a telephoto camera but doesn't have fingerprint unlock. I think for the time being my best option is to downgrade to Android 9 which involves transferring all my data, and potentially bricking my device.

https://m.gsmarena.com/nokia_7_plus...ate_september_1_security_patch-news-45498.php
I think it's highly unlikely this update would get the gcam ports working again.

Danilo Pantelić

Mar 19, 2012
Kragujevac
Has someone test "use instantaneous HDR+ Enhanced" (Pixel 4 HDR+ Enhanced) ?
I've make some photos with both settings but can't see any difference. Both looks identical. I will test more this evening with lower light.
Also this is interesting in v1.7 changelog:

First properly working GCam 7.4:
NoiseModeler should help now for camera sensors with blur or noise grain. Enable it first and then choose better Denoise model. It works for Main, Front and AUX (separated)

https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/f/changelog1429/

Our Nokia 7+ using same back camera sensor like Google Pixel 2 phone, and we have IMX362 and Pixel 2 options in gcam port.

We don't know what type of sensors is on telephoto and front camera...

Probably Samsung S5K3M3 for telephoto and Samsung S5K3P8 for front camera.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020
Also this is interesting in v1.7 changelog:

https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/f/changelog1429/

Our Nokia 7+ using same back camera sensor like Google Pixel 2 phone, and we have IMX362 and Pixel 2 options in gcam port.

We don't know what type of sensors is on telephoto and front camera...

Probably Samsung S5K3M3 for telephoto and Samsung S5K3P8 for front camera.

I'm not sure if this is really necessary. The pic are normaly not noisy, maybe it helps a bit for very low light photos.
But for me, there are definitly to many possible settings in the GCam App. :laugh:

Currently I still testing Pixel 4 HDR+ but until now i can't see big differences between.

Tomar777

Nov 10, 2016
Google Pixel 3a
Hello after a long time everybody,
i ws bored today so i digged out my N7+ to play a bit.
First i installed Nikita 1.6 then i tried 1.7 a little. Tested on a partially sunny day, i found a difference on landscape, far objects come better (less blurred) on 1.7. Also in 1.6 i had to push exposure compensation to +0.2
On the settings:
Rear sensor Pixel 2, denoise IMX 362 wherever it asks for it,
Front sensor Nexus 6p, denoise IMX 362 cause i always liked the color result.
About white balance and stuff, whenever its asked, look on the top of the lists there is "auto" so i just picked that.
Jpeg quality at 97% as we did before.
Did not touch the lib patcher, its all to much fine tuning and a matter of taste i believe.
Also the noise model, i just let it stock "Google" and i did not set the second lens as it appears to be crap anyway.
I also did not bother with "Pixel 4" stuff, not sure it will make a difference.
So just in the photo section (front-rear-potrait-night) this seams to be an ok and stable port with nice colors, good noise reduction, and (hm) good sharpness.
But IMO its still not Backrider's quality.

PS i dont know if it is due the last MR update or because i have been using another phone, but the whole interface of the camera and the rest of the phone appeared "slow" so i went to the dev options and turned all animation stuff to 0.5

Thats all, enjoy your N7p, i must say its still a good camera phone after 2 years.

Danilo Pantelić

Mar 19, 2012
Kragujevac
MGC 7.4.201 Parrot043 V1.1.apk

Not so long ago, we proposed the idea to completely remove the settings, leaving only:
• Focus tracking.
• On / off Astro in the blind.
• Auto white balance (AWB) in the shutter.

The people also supported this idea and it was decided to make further modifications in this format. No need to bother with Lib Patcher and other settings.
The purpose of this modification is to install and take pictures.
From now on, this is a new format for modifications. Yes, some may not like it, but I hope for understanding.

Most likely, there will be no more posts of updates of modifications, because we are waiting for that same Google Camera v7.6, and there it will already be seen.

New version with minimal options!

They are waiting for:

First Google Pixel 5 hands-on video shows off the incredible camera
https://www.androidcentral.com/first-google-pixel-5-hands-video-shows-incredible-camera

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    GCam_6.1.021_N7P_test2.2
    Changes vs. test2.1 :
    - Under Advanced -> Port settings | (More advanced settings) :
    ---> Added "Pixel 3 AWB" (thanks to @Tomar777's suggestion and Toylann009's ports): this is turned on by default. I observed that when toggled ON, it produces more accurate and natural colors. Note that this only affects the rear camera. Check the comparison here.
    ---> Changed "Use custom lib" to Eszdman v3: I haven't done any tests here, but anyone might be interested. Stock lib is still my personal preference.
    - Added "Lens Blur" mode: toggle is on the left of Panorama. A bonus addition since I really don't use it, but again someone might be interested.
    - Performance improvements: I hope I'm right about this. So far it's working better in my device. #seemsfaster

NOTE: fresh re-install or "clear storage" after installation is recommended to clear up isolated cases like crashing Portrait Mode, etc.

Known issues:
    - Tap-to-focus in video mode breaks autofocus; workaround is switching to other modes and back.
    - Manual white balance in camera mode doesn't work (even in other ports, I believe). But it works in Photobooth; in Portrait Mode, it works after tapping the screen to focus. Suggested workarounds are (1) to use Portrait Mode for taking photos that need manual white balance adjustments, or (2) post-editing the photo.
    - Tap-to-focus doesn't seem to work in Lens Blur mode.
    - There might be instabilities with heavy usage.

Whew, I can't believe I still managed to make an update with my very tight schedule. Haha. The previous v2.1 was my main driver for the past weeks, and I suppose these minor updates are worth it. Okay, back to work and studying. Again, this port needs no extra config. Cheers!

Download:
    GCam_6.1.021_N7P_test2.2apk
    GCam_6.1.021_N7P_test1.2
    Changes vs. test1.1 :
    - Fixed tap-to-focus crash bug in video mode
    - Added "Save portraits to DCIM/Camera/" under Advanced (thanks to Toylan009's port)
    - Minor UI tweaks

I feel like I had to rush and post this one for the video crash fix. I'll be adding "necessary" features one at a time to keep things stable. I'm still learning this coding stuff, though, so it'll take time for me to get things going. At least everything seems okay so far.

Download:
    GCam_6.1.021_N7P_test1.2.apk
    GCam_6.1.021_N7P_test2.1
    Changes vs. test2 :
    - Under Advanced -> Port settings | (More advanced settings) :
    ---> Added "Saturation adjustments" (thanks to [MENTION]Toylann009[/MENTION]'s and BSG's ports): I included a toggle to apply custom saturation adjustments; if disabled, the default Google settings are used.
    ---> Changed "Use custom lib" to Eszdman v2: in my tests, it does a good job with high contrast scenarios in good light, but tends to produce more noise in low light.
    ---> Added "Maximum brightness" (also thanks to [MENTION]Toylann009[/MENTION]'s port): sets max brightness in viewfinder mode. May consume battery, especially since our device doesn't have OLED display for the black areas of the screen.
    ---> Edited "HDR+ Enhanced frames": Default is now set to =7 (which is Google default).
    - Default JPEG quality is set to 97%: I find this the sweet spot for both quality and image file size.
    - Minor UI edits: a few re-wordings here and there. I've also added a note for the Disable zoom in Portrait mode for added information (read this for more info)

NOTE: fresh re-install or "clear storage" after installation is recommended to clear up isolated cases like crashing Portrait Mode, etc.

Known issues:
    - Tap-to-focus in video mode breaks autofocus; workaround is switching to other modes and back.
    - Manual white balance in camera mode doesn't work (even in other ports, I believe). But it works in Photobooth; in Portrait Mode, it works after tapping the screen to focus. Suggested workarounds are (1) to use Portrait Mode for taking photos that need manual white balance adjustments, or (2) post-editing the photo.
    - There might be instabilities with heavy usage.

P.S. Just to give you guys a heads-up, I may or may not return to this project since I have to begin prioritizing time for work and studies. Looks like these optimizations and additions are enough for the regular user; in most cases, this port needs no extra config. Cheers!

Download:
    GCam_6.1.021_N7P_test2.1.apk
    I will go over these things once, and once only.
    Firstly, let's keep things on-topic and productive here, the topic being the Nokia 7 Plus users who use this mod.
    Talk of which phone is better than which is for other forum areas.
    Secondly this is, again, the Nokia 7 Plus forums. If you want to have the mod on another device, you're welcome to do as other devs have done here and port it to said device, or make a request for it in that devices Q/A forum. You may also try posting in the Google Camera Mods sub-forum.
    Alternatively, you can PM someone you think might be capable of making it happen, but they are under no obligation to you to do it or even respond to your PM. You should also not harass someone via PM under any circumstances.
    Remember, Developers do this work out of their spare time. You are not their boss and this is not their day job.
    Thirdly, I'll remind everyone of the XDA Rules, these ones especially:
    2.1 Language: XDA is a worldwide community. As a result, what may be OK to say in your part of the world, may not be OK elsewhere. Conversely, while reading posts from other members, remember that the word you find offensive may not be offensive to the writer. Tolerance is a two-way street.
    2.3 Flaming / Lack of respect: Never post in a demanding, argumentative, disrespectful or self-righteous manner.
    15. Keep threads / posts on-topic: Whilst a minor amount of off-topic posting may be overlooked, the general rule is that your posts / threads must be relevant to the Forum / thread in which you are posting.
    Future posts of this nature are welcomed to be brought to the attention of the moderation team.
    Thanks.
    GCam_6.1.021_test1.apk
    First attempt to make all "essential" features work. Looks like everything's working nicely, including:
    - All photo things (HDR+, Portrait mode, Panorama, Photo Sphere)
    - Video (I still recommend stock Nokia Camera especially for the OZO audio)
    - Zoom (not sure if Super Res Zoom works, though)
    - Burst shot
    - Night sight
    - Tracking autofocus
    - Motion photos
    - Photobooth
    - Slow motion
    - Auto lens distortion correction (for front camera)
    - Playground (AR stickers) (download here)
    - Launching from lockscreen

Stock settings only, no additional config. However, under Advanced, I added the following toggles:
    - Use Classic Photo Viewer (default uses Google Photos; however, Google Photos has this bug that closes the photo if HDR+ is not yet finished processing)
    - HDR+ Enhanced for Portrait (for those who want increased dynamic range for portrait mode; force close app to apply changes)

This is based on @Arnova8G2's Dec-9 port (original port here). NOTE that this works on my Nokia 7 Plus (TA-1046) on Android 9.0 Pie.

One known issue is with Night Sight where you cannot take a photo after 2 consecutive shots; you need to wait until the first photo is finished processing before you can take another shot. There might be lags and crashes, but it's working fine for me so far.

Download:
    GCam_6.1.021_test1.apk

Special thanks to: @Arnova8G2 for all the base ports and all the help in troubleshooting; B-S-G for the base ports too, source of learnings, and; @cstark27 for all things learned from your Pixel 1/2/3 port page and the source of the Advanced toggles.