Nokia 8 Android 9 PIE updates

Search This thread
So if i push the pie beta
What happens when the beta ends and we get official pie ?
Will i have to wipe all data and factory reset my phone or only download the official version normaly without any data loss ?
Based on Oreo beta from last year, we'll get OTA to stable version.

But you may have to wait for it the same as everybody else still on Oreo with your model/operator/country combination (Oreo beta participatnts didn't get stable OTA immediately after its release as one would expect).

techno_man000

Jan 12, 2018
A user on gsmarena stated :

Agucibu
Quick notes in the first hours using this update.
1. No soft buttons, good idea holding on the hardware ones
2. Camera has the same UI but I noticed until now much better brightness and exposure levels; nice one this finding! Camera in my opinion os much much better
3. Battery much more resilient up to now.
4. Better Ram management

Better RAM management and resilient battery?? On the contrary, there are RAM management and battery problem on my phone. On 8.1, at least 2GB of RAM was free. On 9.0, this is at least 1.7GB. However, i figured out source of problem. I guess that the problem is background apps. I tried to restrict background apps but it was not effective. Battery drains due to the unstopped background apps. I have reported these 2 problem to authorities.

Reactions: debanjan757
For me battery seems the same, but I carefully select apps that I allow to run in the background.

Can't say about free RAM as I don't check it. But apps are kept in the memory and are not killed while in use (for example Spotify playing in the background), so I'd say memory management is good.

Also, practically all animations are fluid.

To summarize, as always, it seems experience depends on apps you have installed and if you control what apps can run in background or not.

adz63

Aug 11, 2010
London/Surrey
Been running pie about a week now but only just discovered there is no gallery app. Was there one in the first place? If so can anyone share the APK please. I'm having to use the files app to view content

Ahmed5

Oct 8, 2017
Lahore
Been running pie about a week now but only just discovered there is no gallery app. Was there one in the first place? If so can anyone share the APK please. I'm having to use the files app to view content

Photos app (Google) since the start. Never was any in the first place ever except photos.

ajgftw

Apr 20, 2012
Perth
Better RAM management and resilient battery?? On the contrary, there are RAM management and battery problem on my phone. On 8.1, at least 2GB of RAM was free. On 9.0, this is at least 1.7GB. However, i figured out source of problem. I guess that the problem is background apps. I tried to restrict background apps but it was not effective. Battery drains due to the unstopped background apps. I have reported these 2 problem to authorities.

Free ram isn't a measure of good ram management.
Android is designed to keep apps in memory for as long as possible so that they can be quickly swapped to if you go back to them.

Obviously how effectively this works depends on the apps that you use and how efficiently they have been coded and how consistently the developer kept to the Android developer guidelines/best practices.

Germ2501

Sep 23, 2017
Since running the betalabs release, I noticed while playing music(I'm using Poweramp), the music may stutter for a split second at random times. Nothing major but you may be able to catch it.

Does anyone else face this with the same or different music players?

foxbatul

Aug 28, 2007
best batt life ever. 4.5 days + 4.5 h SOT !!! ( after 2 weeks of usage)
Pie it's a winner.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For all those who are still waiting for Pie, this is the captured OTA URL: https://android.googleapis.com/pack.../59bd9a533025ca61629b32eb85fd6e410705c1dc.zip
    Don't worry about the TA-1004 references, the OTA will work on all models.

If you want to update to Pie directly you can download that zip file and install it by either sideloading it through the stock recovery, or by renaming it to "NB1-5110-0-00WW-B05-update.zip",
    copying it to the root of your internal storage, and then dialing *#*#874#*#*. This also allows you to keep root by installing Magisk to the inactive slot. It doesn't matter which security patch you
    have, you only need a stock boot image. I will fetch stock and TWRP prepatched images later and upload them as well (maybe after christmas though, let's see).

Have fun with your Christmas Pie! (or rather Dough given the actual features :p)

(It seems that XDA had a hiccup and posted this 3 times by accident. I updated the post and apologize for potential mail spam.)

UPDATE: Stock and TWRP-prepatched images: https://bit.ly/nokia-nb1
    Maybe I'm just showing my age, but it seems that many users don't remember what it was like years ago when monthly security updates didn't exist and OS updates were a luxury and usually arrived months later (if at all) and still contained countless bugs and you NEVER got any communication from manufacturers except for "it will be ready soon".

Now everyone is getting worked up over the OS update being a few days late based on a suggestion from the company on social media that it would be ready in November. I mean it was on Twitter, it wasn't a signed contract.

Anyone who has actually developed software or built android ROMs will know that it can take time to fix bugs and get a release ready for users. The backlash they would get for releasing an update that wasn't near perfect would be so much worse than any backlash from delaying the release of the update.

So if they are taking the time to get it right, good. Likely they have learnt their lesson and in the future will be much more vague when communicating with users and will just say "it will be ready soon".
    Me too, it is not fair, and I think that hmd doesn't want to update our Nokia

Sent from my NOKIA 8 using Tapatalk
    You can just sideload the updates yourself. Basically, what you have to do is this:

• Go to https://bit.ly/nokia-nb1 and download the file "NB1-5140-0-00WW-B05-update.zip" from the folder "OTA"
    • Shut down your phone, then hold volume up while connecting it to a PC via USB
    • When the "No Command" screen appears, hold down the power button and tap volume up
    • Use volume up / down and power to select "Apply update from ADB"
    • On your PC, do adb sideload <path to NB1-5140-0-00WW-B05-update.zip> (if you dont have adb: https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2317790)
    • wait until it was applied and then reboot
    It's basically the same as getting the update officially, except that you remove the randomness of a staged rollout.
    Did they really think, that we will buy new phone from them, because we don't want to wait for update of our flagship Nokia 8??? Wow, this is so stupid and disappointing...