Nokia 8 Oreo 8.1 now live

Search This thread

anzbert

Feb 14, 2018
8.1 and March update have just arrived for some users in Australia, including myself.
Hopefully the april patch will appear soon as well.

ajgftw

Apr 20, 2012
Perth
Same here, April patch, no 8.1 on Optus network. Vodafone has it listed as "Rolling out soon" so might chuck in my housemates Vodafone sim and check for updates later on.

Don't bother trying a Vodafone Sim, I'm on Vodafone.
The Nokia 8 on Vodafone hasn't received a single update since December last year. No security patches or anything.

That Vodafone website will probably say rolling out soon for the rest of the year.

Pumpino

Don't bother trying a Vodafone Sim, I'm on Vodafone.
The Nokia 8 on Vodafone hasn't received a single update since December last year. No security patches or anything.

That Vodafone website will probably say rolling out soon for the rest of the year.

Have you tried the suggestion I linked to above? Nokia itself suggested it, too:

To try and get your phone to update to the latest Android Security Patch and Version, could you please do the following: First, please go to Settings >> Applications >> Three dots on the top-right >> Show System >> > Cache >> Carrier Services >> Storage and tap to clear it. Remove any SIM Cards on your device and shut down your device (Long press the Power Button >> Power Off). Wait for about 15 minutes, then turn on your device without the SIM Card. 10 minutes after it loads, please connect to a stable Wi-Fi Connection and check for your System Updates by going to Settings >> About Phone >> System Updates. Should this not work, please go back to step 2, but on step 3, please insert a SIM Card from a different Network Operator and proceed to step 4. https://community.phones.nokia.com/support/discussions/topics/7000023194

Last edited:
Reactions: ajgftw

ajgftw

Apr 20, 2012
Perth
Have you tried the suggestion I linked to above? ...

Sorry, I could have been clearer in what I said.

I am with Vodafone in Australia and they haven't released an update since android 8.0 (December security patch).

However my Nokia 8 is currently on Android 8.1, April security patch.

I have always kept my girlfriends and my own Nokia 8 running the most recent update available using a method similar to the one you're referring too.

For reference, my current method is:

- Remove the Vodafone Australia SIM
- Disable GPS Location (including WiFi and BT scanning)
- Enable an always on VPN set to another country where the update has been released (Germany or Denmark typically)
- Clear the data & cache and of Carrier Services
- Reboot the Device
- Check for updates and download and install the update.

Unfortunately, in Australia at least, using another carriers SIM wouldn't help much because they are often months behind other countries carriers at best.

But of all the Australian carriers, Vodafone, in my experience, is the worst at releasing Android updates in general but they are plain lazy when it comes to the Nokia 8.

Currently they do not release security patches as they are made available by Nokia (i.e. every month), and instead choose to bundle the updates and release them every 6 months (or more) to users.

This is why I suggested in my previous post that trying a Vodafone (Australia) SIM wouldn't help at all. ?

Last edited:

Pumpino

I am with Vodafone in Australia and they haven't released an update since android 8.0 (December security patch).

Updates for Nokia phones using Vodafone in Australia are particularly delayed because Vodafone is the only carrier selling Nokias, and so it's decided to do its own testing.

Yeah, I'm in Australia and was stuck with 8.1 beta for months on my Nokia 8 before I sold it. I wish I'd known about these tricks then. While I tried a VPN at the time, I didn't include the other steps.

Looking back at a previous post of yours, I see you ended up wiping in order to receive the 8.1 update. I wonder if that step would have been required if you'd included the step of Settings >> Applications >> Three dots on the top-right >> Show System >> > Cache >> Carrier Services >> Storage and tap to clear it. That may achieve the same thing as wiping, without having to reconfigure your phone.

Can I ask which VPN app you use?

Last edited:

ajgftw

Apr 20, 2012
Perth
Updates for Nokia phones using Vodafone in Australia are particularly delayed because Vodafone is the only carrier selling Nokias, and so it's decided to do its own testing.

Yeah, I'm in Australia and was stuck with 8.1 beta for months on my Nokia 8 before I sold it. I wish I'd known about these tricks then. While I tried a VPN at the time, I didn't include the other steps.

Looking back at a previous post of yours, I see you ended up wiping in order to receive the 8.1 update. I wonder if that step would have been required if you'd included the step of Settings >> Applications >> Three dots on the top-right >> Show System >> > Cache >> Carrier Services >> Storage and tap to clear it. That may achieve the same thing as wiping, without having to reconfigure your phone.

Can I ask which VPN app you use?

Yeah the first time I went to update the phone nothing I did was working to trigger the update. And I mean I tried everything.
So I just wiped the phone based on the theory (wild guess) that because Vodafone are doing thier own testing and releases, the firmware on my phone might have a different version number than anywhere else in the world which might be why I couldn't get it to work so I took out the SIM card, factory reset the phone and followed the steps I posted above.

As for which VPN, I use CyberGhost (Premium).

But I didn't use the app as it isn't able to create an always on VPN, I had to set up a VPN profile and then add it to the phone manually.
There may be other VPN apps that can create always on VPNs, but I'm already paying for cyberghost so just did it that way :p

Reactions: Pumpino

droid_freak90

Sep 23, 2013
Perth
OTA Captured

I'll just leave this here for the other Aussies/VodafoneAU subscribers in case they aren't aware of it. Full OTA zip including 8.1, Pro camera and May 1st patch. Confirmed working on unlocked and VodafoneAU TA-1012 model. (Replace *DOT* With period punctuation mark and add "https://" at the beginning) forum*DOT*xda-developers*DOT*com/nokia-8/development/nokia-8-nb1-june-firmware-via-ota-t3798056

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Keep it English, guys!
    Have you tried the suggestion I linked to above? ...

Sorry, I could have been clearer in what I said.

However my Nokia 8 is currently on Android 8.1, April security patch.

I have always kept my girlfriends and my own Nokia 8 running the most recent update available using a method similar to the one you're referring too.

For reference, my current method is:

- Remove the Vodafone Australia SIM
    - Disable GPS Location (including WiFi and BT scanning)
    - Enable an always on VPN set to another country where the update has been released (Germany or Denmark typically)
    - Clear the data & cache and of Carrier Services
    - Reboot the Device
    - Check for updates and download and install the update.

Unfortunately, in Australia at least, using another carriers SIM wouldn't help much because they are often months behind other countries carriers at best.

But of all the Australian carriers, Vodafone, in my experience, is the worst at releasing Android updates in general but they are plain lazy when it comes to the Nokia 8.

Currently they do not release security patches as they are made available by Nokia (i.e. every month), and instead choose to bundle the updates and release them every 6 months (or more) to users.

This is why I suggested in my previous post that trying a Vodafone (Australia) SIM wouldn't help at all. ?
    only 4 hours of screen. Moderate use
    Try deleting google services framework to force the update no need to factory reset/ rollback to oreo 8.0 if you are on android 8.1 beta

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

Me too , I received it today .
    in Jordan

Good to see a Jordanian in this forums :)
    I am also a little bit p....d. I am also part of 8.1 Beta and still have not received the update.
    I thought that Beta users will be the first ones to get it.
    Very annoying that everyone else gets it and I am still stuck with the beta version.

It is a little odd that people who didn't test for bugs are now on a stable version yet many people are left on buggy beta after doing the testing and reporting.

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

I didn't say anything about firmware customisations - update engine can simply get your carrier via Android API that any 3rd party app can use and send it as a parameter in GET request to server. And server can decide based on that if it should offer update or not. Not really a firmware customisation.

And based on my own experience or posts of other users from Nokia community forum or here on XDA, this is exactly what happens. I have Nokia 8 from electronic store bought for full price and normally use Orange SIM card. With Oreo 8.0 rollout I didn't get the update until I changed SIM card to my backup one from Virgin Mobile.

Others had similar experience - people with other carriers than theirs got the update in their countries. When they changed their SIM cards they got it too. So Nokia is evidently targeting specific carriers in each part of the rollout at least in some countries and it doesn't make a difference if you bought the phone from a carrier or not in that case.

Of course they most likely use other criteria as well, like country of IP address that query came from or giving update only to some percentage of users that meet their criteria, so changing SIM may not always work.

If I remember correctly, even some Nokia support stuff admitted, that update availability (in a sense that you will get it eventually, but carrier can delay it for some time) may depend on your carrier even if you did not bought phone from them.

In Oreo 8.0 case, it took about one month for the update to became available to all as far as I recall.

It has nothing to do with the network, you can keep going on until you are blue in the face if you like.