• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Nokia 8 updates

Search This thread

HD2Owner

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 9, 2009
Neuhausen am Rheinfall
Reactions: TeddyBeers

cirian75

Oct 23, 2007
Chorlton, Manchester
I did my usual thing whenever I set up an Android device and set all animations and transitions to 0.5

there is a genuine 6 second lag 90% of the time when opening notifications from the lock screen to actually been presented with the application open

if I unlock the device and then click on the notification it is almost instant

But from the lock screen 6 seconds

ajgftw

Apr 20, 2012
Perth
I did my usual thing whenever I set up an Android device and set all animations and transitions to 0.5

there is a genuine 6 second lag 90% of the time when opening notifications from the lock screen to actually been presented with the application open

if I unlock the device and then click on the notification it is almost instant

But from the lock screen 6 seconds

// TL; DR
To me, the delay doesn't seem significant given the context.

---------------------------
I would imagine that the additional time (Android 8.1 vs 9.0) would have to do with any changes made to how the device sleeps and other battery saving changes in android Pie. i.e. deeper sleep state will generally equal longer wake up time.

I would suspect that the extra delay is due to the phone having to both transition directly from a sleep state and also simultaneously open whatever in app activity the specific notification leads to.

Just waking and unlocking the device is likely to involve waking/scaling up the CPU, reloading any cached apps states/processes back into ram, initiating the usual background checks that are set to occur any time the device is woken and/or unlocked (which could potentially entail multiple apps requesting coarse/fine geo-location, multiple apps performing sync operations or checking for updates (Gmail, Twitter, Facebook etc) and so on.

If you've ever watched an android device go about its business through a live process monitor in android studio or similar, you'll know what I mean.

And that's just unlocking and waking the phone.
So, if your then simultaneously trying to open/restore whatever app pushed the notification while all that's going on, you can see how it could create a scenario where there could be an additional delay.

A bit like copying a two large files between two drives on a PC. You could obviously copy both at once. But sometimes it's quicker to copy them one after the other.

Or, possibly, the difference time taken for a PC to be ready when booting from powered off state compared to waking it from a hibernate state.

Obviously, I don't know your level of knowledge here so I apologize if it appears as though I am over simplifying it for you.

Getting New Pie build v5.140 with February patch. Also it auto downloads the update without even asking. Earlier versions we could start the download manually.
Whats new is System settings, Battery management, Brightness levels, Digital Wellbeing...
Hope it clears out other bugs and brings improvements overall...
For cameras, nothing....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190224-094826.png
    Screenshot_20190224-094826.png
    205.4 KB · Views: 240

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It seems that the new camera app will arrive soon, with a completely redesigned imaging framework. It seems that they had problems because of the monochromatic sensor.

https://community.phones.nokia.com/support/discussions/topics/7000024973

Google has also announced the partnership with Nokia/hmd to integrate Google Lens into the Camera app, so I imagine it will start to be updated via the Play Store.

Other news for the Nokia 8 were not provided, having already Android 8.1 for months, while the other devices are receiving it only now.

I think they will keep the real news for the release of Android P and I think that Glance will remain the same (it's the only Nokia to have it, it doesn't make sense to develop it when the stock Ambient Display is much complete and integrated).

I hope they also add support for Google ARCore.

Sent from my Nokia 8 using XDA Labs
    I wonder why so many people complain that much about HMD. I guess that maximum 40% of users from xda bought this phone at the moment of its premier. People that bought it after - didn't you check what the status of custom development look like? Such people make me a little bit laugh when I see you asking about status of development. Personally I was flasher addict when I had other phones. Here security patches are being provided every month, soft is almost AOSP, than what are you missing, why did you buy the phone. For playing with soft, I have got two other phones which are very good supported, and this is enough. This one is very rock stable for me, and having possibility of root is enough. I agree they Nokia killed in some way this phone by not permitting unlock of bootloader, but how many of whole Nokia 8 users really need it? I don't know how you do market recognition, but honestly I did the research very good and I bought this phone being aware of its possibilities.
    Moving out of Nokia 8, saw the update pushed here in SG, will not updating mine... Will let the future owner decide... If they want to unlock/root(?) The phone... Not sure if September still able to? Moving on to an older phone... :rolleyes:

Sent from my Mi MIX 2 using XDA Labs

No one cares if you are getting another phone. No one cares about the future owner. No one cares about your old phone.

Only the three new phones (6 2018, 7 Plus and 8 Sirocco) will be part of the Android One program: https://www.android.com/one/
    But I don't see where the problem is, so far the Nokia 8 "standard" has been supported as and better than the Android One already on the market, I don't think that things will change, will continue to receive the same support, comparable to that of these new One.

The positive thing is that they have clearly said that the new Nokia Camera "Pro" will be available for all smartphones with Zeiss optics, so also for our Nokia 8. This justifies the lack of the new app with Android 8.1, they didn't want to announce anything before the MWC.
    However in the version arrived with Android 8.1 have greatly improved the autofocus, now has a speed similar to that of my old Nexus 5X. In this sense there is an abyss between the one in Android 8.0 and this in 8.1
    The new version engineered with Zeiss and Pro mode could finally bring it to the level that competes with it.
    https://youtu.be/aPSVzRvd7y4
    I finally manage to get the update after two weeks.

Sent from my TA-1004 using Tapatalk