• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.
  • If you are experiencing issues logging in, we migrated and software and made it more secure. We recommend trying to reset your password.

Nokia Charger...???

vishal24387

Recognized Contributor
May 11, 2011
Solapur, Maharashtra
Guys my samsung charger is broken. I asked in a shop for new charger but its very costly. So temperory I am using nokia charger of my another nokia phone by using a usb charger connector at one end (usb connector having price only 10 Rs).

But when I saw carefully I come to know that samsung charger & nokia charger have following output
Samsung charger
Voltage - 5v DC
Current - 700 mA
Nokia charger
Voltage - 5v DC
Current - 890 mA
You can see that current in nokia charger is somewhat higher. Is there any side effect of this on our battery??? I observed that battery gets charged more faster with nokia charger.

Last edited:
Reactions: iAmBalvinder

samisax

Jan 24, 2012
Guys my samsung charger is broken. I asked in a shop for new charger but its very costly. So temperory I am using nokia charger of my another nokia phone by using a usb charger connector at one end (usb connector having price only 10 Rs).

But when I saw carefully I come to know that samsung charger & nokia charger have following output

You can see that current in nokia charger is somewhat higher. Is there any side effect of this on our battery??? I observed that battery gets charged more faster with nokia charger.
If I'm not mistaken, the current on chargers is usually the maximum supported current. Your phone effectively "pulls" as much current as it wants/needs. So I don't believe it'll do any harm. Just be careful with the voltage!! :)

Cheers.

jan3586

Apr 23, 2011
It's probably okay. I sometimes use my 1A rated charger. It may be a good idea to not use it while charging if the phone is heating up. You can also just plugin to your USB port although it will be a bit slower at only 500 mA charging current.

iAmBalvinder

Apr 5, 2012
New Delhi
Guys my samsung charger is broken. I asked in a shop for new charger but its very costly. So temperory I am using nokia charger of my another nokia phone by using a usb charger connector at one end (usb connector having price only 10 Rs).<br />
<br />
But when I saw carefully I come to know that samsung charger & nokia charger have following output<br />
Samsung charger<br />
Voltage - 5v DC<br />
Current - 700 mA
<br />
<br />
Nokia charger<br />
Voltage - 5v DC<br />
Current - 890 mA
<br />
<br />
@vishal: no issues.

According to some huge conference back in 2009-10, almost all major mobile companies decided to use the same usb connector for all of their mobiles, with same specification for voltage output.

The voltage input differs from country to country, while the wattage and current specification can be varied as per company whims (due to cost variance and battery specification).

So all Nokia, HTC, blackberry, Motorola, Samsung etc use the same USB connector.

I've used my chargers for HTC sensation and Samsung galaxy sl interchangeably for quite a long time now(around 4 months now) and no difference/side effects observed. No difference in backup hours, just the time to charge the battery varies with current specification when I charge with HTC as, it is 1000mA.

A friend of mine having Samsung galaxy s, had used his blackberry charger for charging. No issues. (he started using it before me)

I will surely provide the link of the same info asap.

Press thanks if helped :)

ibaz

Jul 12, 2012
there are no side effects as stated in other posts. i too am having a damaged samsung i9003 charger and its is too costly to buy. right now i am using my previous' phone charger (sony) for quite some time. no signs of anything up to this point =)

iAmBalvinder

Apr 5, 2012
New Delhi
To quote wikipedia, on the USB page.

"The cellular phone carrier group, Open Mobile Terminal Platform (OMTP) in 2007 have endorsed Micro-USB as the standard connector for data and power on mobile devices.[33] These include various types of battery chargers, allowing Micro-USB to be the single external cable link needed by some devices.

As of 30 January 2009 Micro-USB has been accepted and is being used by almost all cell phone manufacturers as the standard charging port (including Hewlett-Packard, HTC, LG, Motorola, Nokia, Research In Motion, Samsung, Sony Ericsson) in most of the world.[citation needed]

On 29 June 2009, following a request from the European Commission and in close co-operation with the Commission services, major producers of mobile phones have agreed in a Memorandum of Understanding ("MoU") to harmonise chargers for data-enabled mobile phones sold in the European Union. Industry commits to provide charger compatibility on the basis of the Micro-USB connector. Consumers will be able to purchase mobile phones without a charger, thus logically reducing their cost.[34] Following a mandate from the European Commission, the European Standardisation Bodies CEN-CENELEC and ETSI have now made available the harmonised standards needed for the manufacture of data-enabled mobile phones compatible with the new common External Power Supply (EPS) based on micro-USB.l

Please refer to the wiki page for proper extreme links. :)

Press thanks if helped :)