Nokia rolling out pro camera update this friday for 8

Search This thread

laffindude

Apr 29, 2016
While it is nice getting Camera2 API, but the implementation of the Pro mode is meh at best. Sure you have access to more settings, but you have no preview of the exposure when you adjust ISO and shutter speed. My ancient S6 has this with its Camera2 based camera (not to mention my newer Samsungs). The default adjustment UI is just in the way. Secondary way of accessing is better. I must say I still prefer the Samsung UI to this, where it has live exposure preview and shows live EV setting. I didn't buy this for the camera, but even then the camera has been a continual disappointment.

PS, I love almost everything else about the phone. NFC and camera, the achilles heel of this phone.

Germ2501

Sep 23, 2017
I use it for paying things. It is the most unreliable NFC equipped phone I own.

I frequently use NFC payment on my phone using the Paywave app provided by my local bank(Google Pay isn't available in my country at the moment.).

So far I mostly have no issues.
But for the first few times I made NFC payment, I noticed the credit card terminal will better detect my phone when I do not place the back of my phone directly on the terminal itself. Instead, I'll usually hover my phone around 1-2cm above the terminal. Just enough for the terminal itself to detect and receive payment data from the phone.

Not sure about yours but this was the case for me. (With the common credit card terminals used at my region are manufactured by Verifone and Ingenico.)

laffindude

Apr 29, 2016
That's the issue. It is the passive scan when it emulates mifare cards that i use for transportation or paying for parking. Using an app for payment works when I tried it, but the terminals I use doesn't take those type of payment. Electronic lock to my building also takes NFC cards. Only works half the time. Glad you don't have issues, but it has been nothing but headaches for me.

Edit: It HAS improved since 8.1. It was completely unusable before. Now it is just a major annoyance, but not to the point of being unusable.

Last edited:

davinhanif

Dec 30, 2017
Jakarta
While it is nice getting Camera2 API, but the implementation of the Pro mode is meh at best. Sure you have access to more settings, but you have no preview of the exposure when you adjust ISO and shutter speed. My ancient S6 has this with its Camera2 based camera (not to mention my newer Samsungs). The default adjustment UI is just in the way. Secondary way of accessing is better. I must say I still prefer the Samsung UI to this, where it has live exposure preview and shows live EV setting. I didn't buy this for the camera, but even then the camera has been a continual disappointment.

PS, I love almost everything else about the phone. NFC and camera, the achilles heel of this phone.

Hi, can you tell me the slowest and fastest shutterspeed a.k.a exposure time on the pro mode? And does the Nokia 8 support RAW photo capture? I'm planning to buy this phone in the near time. Thanks in advance!

Deafening Roar

Feb 28, 2017
Ankara
@davinhanif

Fastest shutter speed : 1/500 s
Slowest shutter speed : 1/2 s

These are the values for the current Pro mode in Nokia 8. As for Auto mode of the stock camera app, I have never ever seen it going slower than 1/2 second, though I'm not sure about the fastest shutter speed in Auto mode.

Some GCam ports can go as slow as 1 second for shutter speed, but the majority is restricted to 1/2 second, just like the stock camera app. However, GCam brings the user a TREMENDOUS improvement in terms of picture quality, especially in low light.

As far as I can see the stock camera app does NOT support RAW capture, but theoretically the phone should be able to that with other compatible software as the device seemingly fully supports Camera2API.

With Android P, this phone will supposedly get "a new camera experience", but considering HMD Global's track performance in image processing ever since they revived Nokia, I'd suggest not to hold your hopes too high in terms of features and image quality :cowboy:

While this absolutely is NOT the most trouble-free or feature-rich phone in terms of software and hardware, it's probably one of the best in terms of performance-per-dollar. If you want a high-performance device at an affordable price and can overlook some shortcomings and possible problems, this is one of your best bets at the moment, at least in my country :)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Juho Sarvikas announced that Nokia pro camera will be rolling out this friday for Nokia 8. Sarvikas stated this in Moscow.

Edit: Update is available to download now.
    Got the update installed

Before:
    oTIvX5b.jpg

After:
    teOEUao.jpg

The Pro mode
    dP2tsH0.jpg

Right of the bat, the camera seems to work better in low light now which is where it struggled before the update. Gonna take some time to play around with the Pro mode and the camera during daylight conditions.
    Weirdly enough, changing the ISO and shutter speed doesn't do anything on the live preview. You'll only see differences after you take the photo. Anyone else experiencing this?
    it is 10.06am in June the 2nd 2018 in the UK and still no pro camera update, this is disgusting, i demand a full refund and all the HMD staff to be smeared up with butter and roll in sand for an hour to make up for it.
    good news, while the rusia conferences was kinda lackluster, the commitment of HMD for all current android nokia device its just great.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone