Noob question: Apps behavior and wheel control on custom roms.

Search This thread
Sep 23, 2022
Hi Guys!
My new android head unit has a very ugly and poor designed software for using while driving, so I'm already thinking about trying a custom firmware or return it and be back to my stereo + cellphone + BT.
Maybe if I list my issues if you can tell me if a custom rom can solve my problems.
If I can't solve it, maybe it can be useful for developers.

1- Sound switching: Some apps like the FM radio do not pause when another app try to use the audio output, so if a want to run, for example, the Deezer, I have to stop the radio first and only after that I can play the music. (could not find another good radio app)
It is not only annoying, but it is kinda dangerous to look soo much to the screen while driving. In the ideal scenario, when I choose the source using the steering wheel control, the chosen app will play in it last state (the music play keep playing the last song, the radio play the last station etc).

2- Automation: For example, in my original stereo, if I remove the USB stick while playing it will go back to the radio or bluetooth and keep playing music. And if I insert it again, it will detect that is the same USB stick and start to play from the same music again.

3- Steering wheel button mapping: Some apps (mostly the radio again) do not respond to the same logic as the others softwares, so, if I press the pause button, mostly apps will stop/pause playing, but the radio will try to find the next station.
Another problem is that the unit wheel software do not map long pressing the keys, so the numbers of commands are very limited.

4- Fast and accurate volume control: That problem is addressed by the Agama launcher using a gesture on the central ring on the main screen and it works very well, almost like a physical button. But again I could not use the Agama as my solution cause I cannot use the steering wheel control to change the source. In the Agama, If I press the source button to go the bluetooth receiver or the radio, it will stay on the app screen and I have to press the home button to have the main screen again.

If you made it until here, LOL, I think it may work something like this:
- You could choose the main apps to be selected by the source button (kinda like it is now, but you can choose how many sources you have).
- In the SWC (steering wheel control) some buttons would be global and others could be send to the application on the source "slot". Long pressing mapping too.
- Some commands of the SWC could change depending on the chosen source, so it can be more useful in different apps.
- Automation: if you are stopped, you can use the apps and the screen as a normal tablet, but if you reach a chosen speed, the unit will go to the home screen and the apps will run in second plane, unless it is in the list of apps that can stay on the main screen while moving (custom).
- Widgets to control radio and music apps could share the same area on main screen and will be show depending on the source choose.
- When moving, the main screen could priorize gestures to control main functions like volume and screen brightness or turn screen off. The gesture priority could stay on until the first single touch gesture. If you are stopped, the first single touch will enable the "tablet mode" again to permit full use of the unit. The gesture priority would be back as soon you reach the set speed again.

Hope it can be useful. =)

Sep 23, 2022
Sorry to say, but Torsten is right.
Nevertheless... You even did not tell anything about your unit.
What make, which MCU and of course the current used firmware.

May be one would be able to give some answers...
Sorry, I did read the rules, but when I was trying other launchers, the unit stopped to show the screen after the google logo.
At the time I started to write that giant message I was waiting to the seller to send me the recovery files/procedures, so I would be able look at the MCU model and put it in the specific forum. Happen that he did not sent it yet and I could do it. =)

If I can use your patience for one last question before the weekend, can I run those ROMs in virtual machines to see how they work? I do not have much time to decide to return it, so I'm trying to make the best use of this time.

It is 2-din 9 inches generic capacitive buttons unit with automatic Android Auto and Carplay. (2g+32g 4 cores uis8141 CPU). It has a very good screen, it is very fluida and looks amazing in the car. My main problem it is not drive friendly.

I'm not that laze guy. I did watch and read tons of reviews in forums before decide to buy and honestly, I was not expecting to looking for a custom rom so soon, cause nobody tells how it is not drive friendly. To me, I would only change the launcher for a better looking one.

Another option would be keeping it as a learn lesson and join the development group to try yo make my own mods.

Thank you for any extra help!

rigattoni

Apr 27, 2010
Fuerth
Sorry, I did read the rules, but when I was trying other launchers, the unit stopped to show the screen after the google logo.
At the time I started to write that giant message I was waiting to the seller to send me the recovery files/procedures, so I would be able look at the MCU model and put it in the specific forum. Happen that he did not sent it yet and I could do it. =)

If I can use your patience for one last question before the weekend, can I run those ROMs in virtual machines to see how they work? I do not have much time to decide to return it, so I'm trying to make the best use of this time.

It is 2-din 9 inches generic capacitive buttons unit with automatic Android Auto and Carplay. (2g+32g 4 cores uis8141 CPU). It has a very good screen, it is very fluida and looks amazing in the car. My main problem it is not drive friendly.

I'm not that laze guy. I did watch and read tons of reviews in forums before decide to buy and honestly, I was not expecting to looking for a custom rom so soon, cause nobody tells how it is not drive friendly. To me, I would only change the launcher for a better looking one.

Another option would be keeping it as a learn lesson and join the development group to try yo make my own mods.

There is unfortunately no single custom ROM for these UIS8141.
There are 2-3 other threads talking about these units, but that´s it. Just search in this forum for UIS8141.

By the way... Even if you find any other firmware for these units, I would not recommend to use it. You need to give the Chinese guys at least some time to answer. They start working at least 6hrs earlier (for Europe) and leave work 4-6 hrs earlier than we do.
Wait until Monday and send a reminder early in the morning, that your unit has stopped working.

Reactions: TorstenH

TorstenH

Feb 20, 2021
I hope you've written them a short, simple and easy to understand message. Often enough their answers doesn't fit to the question.

Sep 23, 2022
There are 2-3 other threads talking about these units, but that´s it. Just search in this forum for UIS8141.

By the way... Even if you find any other firmware for these units, I would not recommend to use it. You need to give the Chinese guys at least some time to answer. They start working at least 6hrs earlier (for Europe) and leave work 4-6 hrs earlier than we do.
Wait until Monday and send a reminder early in the morning, that your unit has stopped working.
Thank you! They send me file to reload the firmware using an USB stick and it is working again.

I was think all those Chinese tablet style units had similar software, like the cellphones works, but the Android is very modified. Next time I will try to buy one with a more popular CPU and firmware.

I do realize if I use the original launcher and apps and change only the standard navigation app it works fine, with a very limited interface in terms of customization and information, but works.
The most interesting part (in a bad way) is the system does not allow android widgets to work, so any launcher like Vivid that uses widgets to do custom screens are useless.

I also kinda make it work using the Agama launcher and the NavRadio to control the radio but still a not so fluid experience. The original is "better".

Thank you anyway, you did help a lot.

Sep 23, 2022
I hope you've written them a short, simple and easy to understand message. Often enough their answers doesn't fit to the question.
It is a good tip. I'm not having problem to talk to the Chineses on AliExpress. They just answer only on question per day. LOL
Since this seller in specific sells a lot of these units, I was expecting a better custom service, but it is very crude. No site, no online detailed user manuals... they did send me a very poor quality video on youtube to show how to force the USB upgrade. The seller store is LEHX.
Thank you for the help!

TorstenH

Feb 20, 2021
It is a good tip. I'm not having problem to talk to the Chineses on AliExpress. They just answer only on question per day. LOL
Since this seller in specific sells a lot of these units, I was expecting a better custom service, but it is very crude. No site, no online detailed user manuals... they did send me a very poor quality video on youtube to show how to force the USB upgrade. The seller store is LEHX.
Thank you for the help!
Same problem with other sellers. The Chinese support is very weak and they don't know much about the devices they are selling. Especially if the question is not standard you often get no valuable answer.

rigattoni

Apr 27, 2010
Fuerth
Thank you! They send me file to reload the firmware using an USB stick and it is working again.

I was think all those Chinese tablet style units had similar software, like the cellphones works, but the Android is very modified. Next time I will try to buy one with a more popular CPU and firmware.

I do realize if I use the original launcher and apps and change only the standard navigation app it works fine, with a very limited interface in terms of customization and information, but works.
The most interesting part (in a bad way) is the system does not allow android widgets to work, so any launcher like Vivid that uses widgets to do custom screens are useless.

I also kinda make it work using the Agama launcher and the NavRadio to control the radio but still a not so fluid experience. The original is "better".

Thank you anyway, you did help a lot.
You may try Fcc Car Launcher. This is a widget based launcher and works with a lot of different CPU combination.

By the way:
Exactly this is the reason I buy from Klyde.
I can get in contact with Klyde via WeChat and if I have something special, I have a direct connection to the developer and get information or new firmware within 1-2 days.
I don´t buy this kind of things on AliExpress. I never did that and I won´t do that at all. Cheap small things for some bucks... okay, but nothing over $100.

Sep 23, 2022
You may try Fcc Car Launcher. This is a widget based launcher and works with a lot of different CPU combination.

By the way:
I can get in contact with Klyde via WeChat and if I have something special, I have a direct connection to the developer and get information or new firmware within 1-2 days.
I don´t buy this kind of things on AliExpress. I never did that and I won´t do that at all. Cheap small things for some bucks... okay, but nothing over $100.
Me too. I think was the first time I bough something over $50 on Aliexpress. Here in Brazil, if you buy anything under $50 for personal use you do not need to pay import fees.

About the Fcc Car Launcher, I did realize the unit are not allowing widgets from any source to be installed, so none of those nice Launchers work as intended.

But it is getting better. The radio integration is better using the NavRadio app from here and now I'm trying to work around the widget problem.
Found some users here that are unlocking the widgets installation on the Amazon Fire Tablet using the ADB and the config files looks identical to mine. If I can find a USB drive that works, maybe I can make the widigets work and make it look a little better.

After the initial frustration, I'm kinda enjoying tinkering with it. Still not sure if I will install it cause I'm very serious about security while driving.

Thank you again. Regards!

By the way, the only reason I'm insisting on it is cause I think it fits very well on my car (a mk2 Ford Focus) and since it has native Carplay, maybe it will be not so bad to use. We will see...

focus multimidia.jpg

Reactions: rigattoni

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

By the way:
    Me too. I think was the first time I bough something over $50 on Aliexpress. Here in Brazil, if you buy anything under $50 for personal use you do not need to pay import fees.

About the Fcc Car Launcher, I did realize the unit are not allowing widgets from any source to be installed, so none of those nice Launchers work as intended.

But it is getting better. The radio integration is better using the NavRadio app from here and now I'm trying to work around the widget problem.
    Found some users here that are unlocking the widgets installation on the Amazon Fire Tablet using the ADB and the config files looks identical to mine. If I can find a USB drive that works, maybe I can make the widigets work and make it look a little better.

After the initial frustration, I'm kinda enjoying tinkering with it. Still not sure if I will install it cause I'm very serious about security while driving.

Thank you again. Regards!

By the way, the only reason I'm insisting on it is cause I think it fits very well on my car (a mk2 Ford Focus) and since it has native Carplay, maybe it will be not so bad to use. We will see...

focus multimidia.jpg