Noob Question on flashing firmware

Search This thread

willcor

Oct 2, 2008
Hello
My phone is n910f with the N910FXXU1BOB4 lolipop , root and recovery.
How can I flash N910FXXU1BOC3 (http://samsung-updates.com/device/?id=SM-N910F) without loosing root and all my apps ?
Hope this is the right firmware ? If someone has done it please post the info .
Thanks.

hi ,
i have N910F ,rooted , custom recovery CWM installed ,..stock ROM and on Lollipop... ...BOC3 ( was on ....BOB4 like you ) unfortunately if you flash you loose root and custom recovery .IF you do a "dirty flash" you should keep all your apps .
i used same CF autoroot version and CWM recovery version i used on Android v4.4.4 ,then Lollipop ...BOB4 and now on
Lollipop ...BOC3 ( I opted for full reset afterwards as i wanted to ) No problems
good luck

Reactions: cybrg4life

cybrg4life

May 28, 2012
Just to be clear about a "dirty flash" in this case I still using odin as a tool , flash the rom , or I have to change some settings in odin ?
Can you please help me with this , the correct steps in flashing the rom ?
Thanks

willcor

Oct 2, 2008
Just to be clear about a "dirty flash" in this case I still using odin as a tool , flash the rom , or I have to change some settings in odin ?
Can you please help me with this , the correct steps in flashing the rom ?
Thanks

hi,
if you are unsure about flashing with Odin look on YouTube /XDA or else for an example for Note 4. flashing with Odin.
Dirty flash is only a term to describe that before /after flashing with eg. Odin you did not "factory reset" your device. You juzt flashed over old software.,thus not needing to most likely re install any apps.
Problem is if you had any errors etc in previous Rom you could experience similar issues iin the new Rom. It's your choice
just to give you an example of dirty flash. When i upgraded from Android v 4.4.4 to lollipop BOB4 i did a dirty flash as i was to lazy to re install my apps. and my device was working 100% battery was fine etc. But yes flashing to... BOC3 i felt.. no i had more time on hand and didn't mind re installing
my 168 app i have on device. Used Titanium.. root
So i flashed.. lollipop .. BOC3.. Hard reset device.. flashed Cf autoroot to root.. checked if it was working and then flashed custom recovery Cwm
Downloaded Titanium again.. i have the paid Titanium version (as all 3rd party apps are wiped when hard resetting ) from market and restored all my apps.. from ext sd card i had backed up. before when flashing when i still was on ...BOB4
(Just remember to fix old Android Ext Sd card issue.. i used NextApp sd fix from Play market to get "write permission" as Titanium could not find it on my ext sd
good luck

Last edited:

cybrg4life

May 28, 2012
hi,
if you are unsure about flashing with Odin look on YouTube /XDA or else for an example for Note 4. flashing with Odin.
Dirty flash is only a term to describe that before /after flashing with eg. Odin you did not "factory reset" your device. You juzt flashed over old software.,thus not needing to most likely re install any apps.
Problem is if you had any errors etc in previous Rom you could experience similar issues iin the new Rom. It's your choice
just to give you an example of dirty flash. When i upgraded from Android v 4.4.4 to lollipop BOB4 i did a dirty flash as i was to lazy to re install my apps. and my device was working 100% battery was fine etc. But yes flashing to... BOC3 i felt.. no i had more time on hand and didn't mind re installing
So i flashed.. lollipop .. BOC3.. Hard reset device.. flashed Cf autoroot to root.. checked if it was working and then flashed custom recovery Cwm
Downloaded Titanium again.. i have the paid Titanium version (as all 3rd party apps are wiped when hard resetting ) from market and restored all my apps.. from ext sd card i had backed up. before when flashing when i still was on ...BOB4
(Just remember to fix old Android Ext Sd card issue.. i used NextApp sd fix from Play market to get "write permission" as Titanium could not find it on my ext sd
good luck

Thank you for the info !
Did all those things , and everything looks fine , restore all my apps with titanium.
Have a nice day!!!!!

Reactions: willcor

willcor

Oct 2, 2008
Thank you for the info !
Did all those things , and everything looks fine , restore all my apps with titanium.
Have a nice day!!!!!

hi ,
glad you sorted it out..!!!
just to clearify / elaborate my preferred order of "flashing "( above post )
It is still a "dirty flash " ,as you flash over all your apps from old ROM ,
but you correct it, by doing a "factory reset " (etc etc.) straight afterwards .
Other members prefer to factory reset before "flashing " and then again factory reset it again just after flashing . new Rom.. ..
i prefer either a straight "dirty flash" ( no factory reset afterwards ) or method/order i descibed in post above ..!
Reason i don't factory reset, before flashing is that if you factory reset and then flash and your flash goes wrong eg ..errors, corrupt download ,etc etc
you can hopefully , flash old ROM back and still have your old apps working ....but i don't think you are going to be happy reinstalling all your old apps on old ROM .i know i won't with all my apps !!!
good luck

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello
    My phone is n910f with the N910FXXU1BOB4 lolipop , root and recovery.
    How can I flash N910FXXU1BOC3 (http://samsung-updates.com/device/?id=SM-N910F) without loosing root and all my apps ?
    Hope this is the right firmware ? If someone has done it please post the info .
    Thanks.

hi ,
    i have N910F ,rooted , custom recovery CWM installed ,..stock ROM and on Lollipop... ...BOC3 ( was on ....BOB4 like you ) unfortunately if you flash you loose root and custom recovery .IF you do a "dirty flash" you should keep all your apps .
    i used same CF autoroot version and CWM recovery version i used on Android v4.4.4 ,then Lollipop ...BOB4 and now on
    Lollipop ...BOC3 ( I opted for full reset afterwards as i wanted to ) No problems
    good luck
    hi,
    good luck

Thank you for the info !
    Have a nice day!!!!!