• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Noob questions about getting my EVO3D ready for a custom rom

Search This thread

Cyber Akuma

May 28, 2008
I tried looking around, but a lot of the posts were from mid/late 2011 about this.

Currently my EVO 3D is still on stock Gingerbread.

I tried to lookup a stock ICS rom, but almost all of them are custom roms based on the stock rom. Basically, ATM all I want to do is upgrade to a rooted version of the sprint ICS rom, not install a completely custom rom. Also, I have heard that with the official rom you can upgrade without losing any information. Is it possible to do that with ANY of the custom roms or would they all require me to backup my data because it will have to reformat my phone? ATM I am not looking for a custom rom and really, just want to be able to upgrade to the stock ICS while still having root purely so I can delete all those annoying preinstalled apps.

Will backing up data from a gingerbread rom and then restoring it to a ICS rom cause any problems?

And I have no idea how to go about doing it, I know I should at first use the temp root just to backup my information.... but I am lost on the whole S-OFF and flashing from past that point thing.

beneath-a-burning-turtle

Jul 16, 2012
Beacon, NY
I tried looking around, but a lot of the posts were from mid/late 2011 about this.

I tried to lookup a stock ICS rom, but almost all of them are custom roms based on the stock rom. Basically, ATM all I want to do is upgrade to a rooted version of the sprint ICS rom, not install a completely custom rom. Also, I have heard that with the official rom you can upgrade without losing any information. Is it possible to do that with ANY of the custom roms or would they all require me to backup my data because it will have to reformat my phone? ATM I am not looking for a custom rom and really, just want to be able to upgrade to the stock ICS while still having root purely so I can delete all those annoying preinstalled apps.

Will backing up data from a gingerbread rom and then restoring it to a ICS rom cause any problems?

And I have no idea how to go about doing it, I know I should at first use the temp root just to backup my information.... but I am lost on the whole S-OFF and flashing from past that point thing.

Virus has a thread with the stock rooted rom in the development form. As for restoring apps, you shouldn't have a problem, if you do clear caches and reboot

Sent from my EVO 3DMA with a little "Common Sense"

Reactions: Cyber Akuma

sonza

Sep 30, 2009
Missouri
Thanks for the help

I'm guessing thats this one?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1808150

So, he mentioned I won't loose root if I am dev unlocked? What about if I use a 3rd party unlock method? I remember reading that HTC's unlock method still leaves some aspects unlocked while the 3rd party methods can fully unlock the device.

And can anyone help me with the other questions I asked?

Thanks

The HTC method will leave you with unlocked, s-on. That is what some folks seem to to refer to as the partially still locked issue.
I would just use the HTC method, and then use the wire trick method to get s-off. Then you are unlocked and have control of what ever you want to do.

When it comes to the roms, you need to do a little research and make sure you have compatible components. If you upgrade to the latest H-boot, then certain roms will no longer run. Personally I am running the cool rom as of last night, but have been on mean rom for the last couple of weeks. I have been using the "other kernel" with hboot 1.58 and things have been pretty good.

The meanrom 2.6 is a good choice for you in my opinion as it will give you root access with as close to stock as you can get. It has the kernel and new hboot instructions in it also so I would consider it a good fit for what you are looking for. I do not believe you can overclock the kernel it comes with, but you did not request that.

As to backing up your data. Everyone will have their preferred program or method. I have purchased the rom tool box pro edition from market, I use it to back up apps and data. Regardless of what you use, be careful when restoring the backups. I restore data like wifi, messages, contacts. I do not restore the system data, especially if I am changing between roms as it is much easier to type in a little data than to figure out why the thing is unstable.

It just takes a bit of research, but all the information you need is available.

Have a good weekend.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyber Akuma

Cyber Akuma

May 28, 2008
The HTC method will leave you with unlocked, s-on. That is what some folks seem to to refer to as the partially still locked issue.
I would just use the HTC method, and then use the wire trick method to get s-off. Then you are unlocked and have control of what ever you want to do.

But dosen't the HTC method force me to reformat my memory, thus requiring me to do the temporary root so I can run titanium backup before doing it?

On a related note, I am not sure just how I would restore my apps actually. I mean, the first thing my phone would ask me to do is to sign into my Gmail account, and when I do that, it will automatically attempt to re-download all of my apps wouldn't it? (And fail spectacularly since I don't have enough space, nearly all of my apps are on my SD card and my internal memory is still full, lousy preinstalled bloatware that you cannot remove...)

When it comes to the roms, you need to do a little research and make sure you have compatible components. If you upgrade to the latest H-boot, then certain roms will no longer run. Personally I am running the cool rom as of last night, but have been on mean rom for the last couple of weeks. I have been using the "other kernel" with hboot 1.58 and things have been pretty good.

Have a good weekend.

Like I said, I just want a rooted stock rom for now, not a custom rom.

mpgrimm2

Nov 5, 2011
Greenville, SC
Cyber Akuma (is that a reference to "D.Gray.Man?)
Shameless self promoting here but, for some background info have a look at:

[Guide]My Hboot 1.5x HTC Unlock/recovery/rom/kernel flashing notes

Evo3d(CDMA)HBoot/S-off Differences & Rooting Background Info

I've been using MeanRom ICS since it came out. Very solid, very similar to stock, smooth, reliable, fast, but all the extras. S-Off is strongly recommended b/c HTC Unlocked (S-on) users are hit or miss on being able to install ICS Roms. If you are still on Hboot 1.50 you can get s-off by downgrading Hboot to 1.40 or the Jbear wire Trick. If you take the official ICS update Jbear is your only option at the moment.

You may be able to use EsFileExplorer to back up your user apps w/o rooting, but an option to consider is to HTC Unlock, install a recovery, flash SuperUser and have a full rooted stock (S-On) phone that you can backup with Ti Backup or the custom recovery (don't think you will lose anything in the process).

With HTC Unlock, you wont be able to update to ICS while rooted, you'd have to relock and flash the full RUU (erasing the phone) and unlock/root again.

Upgrading to ICS, you should be able to restore your user apps, but system settings/google accounts (especially GB backups) etc will cause issues so you will most likely need to just bite the bullet and plan on re-entering things the first time through. FYI, Virus's update thread only works for S-off users.

Last edited:

coal686

Senior Moderator / Developer Rel. / Mod Liaison
Staff member
Apr 13, 2012
Tampa-ish, FL
OnePlus 9 Pro
But when you htc unlock yes it will format the device, so temp root, titanium backup, htc unlock, jbear, then custom recovery and finally flash stock rooted....

Good luck its all not too complicated. Just allot of steps

A word of warning about temp rooting: it caused my phone to bootloop so I personally was unable to save my data. Hopefully you'll have better luck.

Read, Search, Read again, ... Then Ask with Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Virus has a thread with the stock rooted rom in the development form. As for restoring apps, you shouldn't have a problem, if you do clear caches and reboot

Sent from my EVO 3DMA with a little "Common Sense"
    Thanks for the help

I'm guessing thats this one?
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1808150

So, he mentioned I won't loose root if I am dev unlocked? What about if I use a 3rd party unlock method? I remember reading that HTC's unlock method still leaves some aspects unlocked while the 3rd party methods can fully unlock the device.

And can anyone help me with the other questions I asked?

Thanks

The meanrom 2.6 is a good choice for you in my opinion as it will give you root access with as close to stock as you can get. It has the kernel and new hboot instructions in it also so I would consider it a good fit for what you are looking for. I do not believe you can overclock the kernel it comes with, but you did not request that.

As to backing up your data. Everyone will have their preferred program or method. I have purchased the rom tool box pro edition from market, I use it to back up apps and data. Regardless of what you use, be careful when restoring the backups. I restore data like wifi, messages, contacts. I do not restore the system data, especially if I am changing between roms as it is much easier to type in a little data than to figure out why the thing is unstable.

Have a good weekend.