• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Noob questions regarding update to Jelly Bean

Search This thread

dwphoto

Apr 30, 2007
I recently rooted my phone and flashed the stock google build via nexus toolbox. I wanted to be on the stock rom so that I can get OTA updates.
I tried the update today only to find I have clockworkmod recovery and the OTA doesn't work. I have some questions about this and I'm pretty new to it all so please be gentle. My main goal is to be on stock, get OTA updates and not have to wipe my phone in any way.

1 can I get rid of the clockworkmod and go back to stock recovery without wiping my phone? If so, how do I do it?
2 can I flash jelly bean via clockworkmod/tool kit without wiping my phone? If so, how do I do it?
3 which of the above methods is recommended?

Thanks, I appreciate any help I can get
Cheers, Dean

martonikaj

Nov 20, 2010
Seattle, WA
1 can I get rid of the clockworkmod and go back to stock recovery without wiping my phone? If so, how do I do it?

Flash the stock recovery via Fastboot. Do this if you intend to stay completely stock.

2 can I flash jelly bean via clockworkmod/tool kit without wiping my phone? If so, how do I do it?

If you want to keep CWM, then yes you can flash by putting the flashable update.zip on the SDcard and flashing it via CWM. Do this if you intend to keep CWM.

3 which of the above methods is recommended?

Via Fastboot. NOT a toolkit.

NeoMagus

Mar 3, 2010
East Coast
1 - Yes get the factory image from here
Extract the recovery.img and stick it in your fastboot folder
boot into fastboot and type fastboot erase recovery
type fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
wait for flash
type fastboot reboot-bootloader
Reboot into nexus.

2 yes but its not recommended as it will probably screw something up having different data on there you just install from sdcard.

3. You should always wipe cache, Advanced Wipe Dalvik Cache, and wipe Data before installing any rom from sdcard. Reinstall your apps afterword using something like Titanium Backup. If you want to stay OTA, I suggest stock bootloader and if you are rooted using OTA rootkeeper before updating.

dwphoto

Apr 30, 2007
Flash the stock recovery via Fastboot. Do this if you intend to stay completely stock.

If you want to keep CWM, then yes you can flash by putting the flashable update.zip on the SDcard and flashing it via CWM. Do this if you intend to keep CWM.

Via Fastboot. NOT a toolkit.

Thanks for the response. Will either of those methods wipe my phone - like rooting does?
I think I want to stay completely stock - the nexus tookit offers an option to reflash the stock recovery. Should I us this since I'm not sure how to do it via fastboot?
Once I'm back to stock recovery, will the OTA update become avaiable again ( I just checked for system updates via the phone and it says I'm up to date rather than offering the update again)
Thanks

dwphoto

Apr 30, 2007
Just to follow up, I ended up flashing the stock recovery via the gnex toolkit which worked fine. The update then ran fine and I'm now enjoying some tasty jelly beans.
Thanks to all for the help and advice

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Rooting doesn't wipe your phone, Unlocking your bootloader does.

Flashing a recovery doesn't mess with data

To get the OTA to push again you will have to clear data from the app "Google Services Framework"
    Just to follow up, I ended up flashing the stock recovery via the gnex toolkit which worked fine. The update then ran fine and I'm now enjoying some tasty jelly beans.
    Thanks to all for the help and advice

Glad it worked out.