• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Noob With 3 Questions

Search This thread

rickybobb

Sep 22, 2021
I'm not at all Tech savvy.

When I go to my Calendar, how do I change the keyboard to numerical and back?
Also, can I change the keypad from Qwerty to a traditional keyboard?

I watched a video that claimed "Quick Charging" is detrimental to battery life.
Is that true? That's the only charger that came with my unit.

Rick

rickybobb

Sep 22, 2021

Rick

So is that like granting you 3 wishes?🤣
What is the device in question?

My apologies, Galaxy A42 5G

Btw, if you're granting me 3 wishes, I actually have 4.
But that's a discussion for another time.

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Yes, well... be careful what you wish for🤣
Your Android is only as good as you organize and configure it to be. Always keep in my mind what do you would need to fully restore the phone if it crashed right this second. That way you will learn to do this almost effortlessly in time. Ask yourself the hard questions, like what would I do if I lost all my contacts? Answer, create multiple backup files that are stored on the PC and data hdds. Do this with all critical data that can't be replaced.

Fast charging is more stressful on the battery. Not sure about that Samsung but if it has the app Device Care you can disable fast charging there.

As for the rest use the gear icon on the keyboard to access settings.
Play with it, that's how you learn. It's almost impossible to crash* a stock Android so explore it.
Do Google searches and learn from others by reading.
Eventually it will become intuitive how to fix issues even when you see behavior you never saw before. The Android platform is many times much easier to use and troubleshoot than the Windows platform.
Play with it... Android wuv attention🤣

* always backup all critical data on the phone redundantly to at least 2 hdds that are physically and electronically isolated from each other and the PC. Otherwise you will lose data, sooner or latter.
If you have a SD card slot, get a V30 rated card and use it as a data drive. All critical data and backups go here. Then backup the SD card regularly. Only the apps, the temporary download folder and the DCIM folder go on the internal memory.
Backup the contents on the DCIM folder to the SD card regularly however Do Not name that DCIM, name it something like Photos 2021.

Reactions: rickybobb

rickybobb

Sep 22, 2021
Your Android is only as good as you organize and configure it to be. Always keep in my mind what do you would need to fully restore the phone if it crashed right this second. That way you will learn to do this almost effortlessly in time. Ask yourself the hard questions, like what would I do if I lost all my contacts? Answer, create multiple backup files that are stored on the PC and data hdds. Do this with all critical data that can't be replaced.

Fast charging is more stressful on the battery. Not sure about that Samsung but if it has the app Device Care you can disable fast charging there.

Play with it, that's how you learn. It's almost impossible to crash* a stock Android so explore it.
Eventually it will become intuitive how to fix issues even when you see behavior you never saw before. The Android platform is many times much easier to use and troubleshoot than the Windows platform.

* always backup all critical data on the phone redundantly to at least 2 hdds that are physically and electronically isolated from each other and the PC. Otherwise you will lose data, sooner or latter.
If you have a SD card slot, get a V30 rated card and use it as a data drive. All critical data and backups go here. Then backup the SD card regularly. Only the apps, the temporary download folder and the DCIM folder go on the internal memory.
Backup the contents on the DCIM folder to the SD card regularly however Do Not name that DCIM, name it something like Photos 2021.

Thank you very much!
I'll take your advice.

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Thank you very much!
I'll take your advice.
You're welcome.
Lots to do. It takes time but make backing up your data and the ability to fully restore the apps and data after a crash a priority.
One data is lost, it is gone for ever.
Any apps that allow you to backup their settings, do so. Don't forget backing up important passwords.
NEVER encrypt data drives!!! Do not rely on Samsung SmartSwitch as a stand alone data backup!

You can use Apk Export to make installable copies of all your loaded apps even updates so you can reload them without Playstore. All my apps are backed up like this. Even if Playstore discontinues them... I have a copy.

Reactions: rickybobb

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Rick

So is that like granting you 3 wishes?🤣
    What is the device in question?

My apologies, Galaxy A42 5G

Btw, if you're granting me 3 wishes, I actually have 4.
    But that's a discussion for another time.

Thank you very much!
    I'll take your advice.
    Thank you very much!
    I'll take your advice.
    You're welcome.
    Lots to do. It takes time but make backing up your data and the ability to fully restore the apps and data after a crash a priority.
    One data is lost, it is gone for ever.
    Any apps that allow you to backup their settings, do so. Don't forget backing up important passwords.
    NEVER encrypt data drives!!! Do not rely on Samsung SmartSwitch as a stand alone data backup!

You can use Apk Export to make installable copies of all your loaded apps even updates so you can reload them without Playstore. All my apps are backed up like this. Even if Playstore discontinues them... I have a copy.