Noobs Definite Guide to Himalaya Updating [XP/VISTA]

Search This thread

Ather

Retired Senior Moderator
May 26, 2007
Hello All, many of you just keep asking how to do that and this, you do not use search, so im making this Guide which will help you

Things You Should Know:

Things Which Will not work after Upgrading to WM5, WM 6 or WM 6.1 :

• Htc Himalaya Backpack (read below)
  • STK will Not function
  • There is no SDHC Drivers for any Version of ROMS for HTC Himalaya Yet
  • To Have 30.53 MB of storage Go here

Upgrading:

Windows XP :

Requirements :

• Windows XP :p
  • Microsoft ActiveSync 4.5
  • Minimum of 256 MB of RAM
  • and some patience

Start your device in bootloader mode by pressing and holding down:

DPad + PowerButton + ResetButton

After a second release Reset Button, then release the rest of them.
Your screen will show word "Serial" at the top.
You are in bootloader mode now.

Place your device in the cradle/USB Cable, ensuring that the cradle/USB
is plugged directly into a USB port on your PC and not to a hub
and that the power supply is connected to the cradle/USB.
It is also a good idea to disable any screensavers on your desktop PC.

Once your device is cradled, the text on the screen will change to "USB".

Run HimaUpgradeUt_noID.exe and follow the instructions

Sit back and wait for the Congratulations screen to be displayed
on your PC.
Your device will still be displaying 'Upgrading radio stack, please wait' but as long as the PC says it is done, then its all OK.

Detach your device from the cradle/USB.

Now you have to hardreset your device :

Press Reset Button and hold down Camera Button + Record Button.
Hold them pressed until the "Boot Options" menu appears on the screen.

Select the options as follows:
(for selecting use Record Button, change values with Camera Button)

Enable KITL -> NO
Clean Registry Hive -> YES
Format Storage -> YES

When done, press DPad/Action Button and wait until OS starts.

Windows Vista 32-Bit :

Requirements :

• Any Version of Windows Vista 32-Bit
  • Windows Mobile Device Center (Latest Version)
  • and a little computer knowledge

Before starting: Your device needs to be connected to the PC, and in BOOTLOADER mode.

Step 1 of 16: Extract the attached zip file to a memorable location on your machine (e.g. the desktop). This is the Activesync 4.5 RTM USB driver.

Step 2 of 16: Run 'Windows Mobile Device Center', and click 'Connection Settings'.

Step 3 of 16: Uncheck the 'Allow USB Connections' box, and select 'OK'.

Step 4 of 16: Run 'Services' by clicking the Start Orb and typing 'Services', and ensure the 'Windows Mobile-based connectivity' and Windows Mobile 2003-based connectivity' services are started. If they are not, click the service name and press the 'play' button on the top bar.

Step 5 of 16: Load 'Device Manager' by clicking the Start Orb and typing 'Device Manager'. Expand the 'Mobile devices' section and click the 'HTC USB Sync' (or similarly named) item.

Step 6 of 16: Click the 'Action' menu and select 'Update Driver Software'.

Step 7 of 16: Click 'Browse my computer for driver software'.

Step 8 of 16: Click 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'.

Step 9 of 16: Click 'Have Disk'.

Step 10 of 16:
Click 'Browse', and browse to the location where you extracted the ZIP file in Step 1.

Step 11 of 16: Double click 'wceusbsh.inf'.

Step 12 of 16: Select 'HTC USB Sync' from the list, and click 'Next'.

Step 13 of 16: Wait while your driver is installed. :)

Step 14 of 16: Run 'Task Manager' by clicking the Start Orb and typing 'taskmgr'. Then find the 'WMDC.EXE' item, and click 'End Process'

Step 15 of 16: Install your update! Everything should now run fine! You just need to bear in mind the final step when you want to start syncing normally again...

Step 16 of 16: In 'Windows Mobile Device Center', re-enable the 'allow USB connections' checkbox you disabled in Step 2.

If MODS find this Helpful, Please Sticky This :)

muckelmaus Wrote :
As I tested some ROMs with my himas. Only the CF-slot will not work, 'till someone will write a working driver for it.
There are no probs to use the backpack battery and the vga-video funktion, so far. Two out of three, thats not bad, I think.

Attachments

• USBAS.zip
    64.9 KB · Views: 3,754
Last edited:

muckelmaus

Jan 11, 2008
NRW
Backpack problem

Things Which Will not work after Upgrading to WM5, WM 6 or WM 6.1 :

* Htc Himalaya Backpack

As I tested some ROMs with my himas. Only the CF-slot will not work, 'till someone will write a working driver for it.
There are no probs to use the backpack battery and the vga-video funktion, so far. Two out of three, thats not bad, I think.

Ather

Retired Senior Moderator
May 26, 2007
thanks for the info, i havent tested it my self thats why i didnt knew, edited the First post with this info :)

Tippex

Oct 4, 2008
Wigan
Im a noob

Hi I am a noob and followed this guide but it did nothing...

Basically I have a 02 XDA II - it is locked and I want to upgrade it to windows 6/6.1 - I have been reading through the forum for a couple of hours now covering the wiki for himalays and other things.

I followed the steps on this - but nothing has been upgraded. So I guess this isn't how to upgrade to wm6?

So frustrating cos I can't seem to find the instructions on how to do it.

I believe its a rom i need right?> how do i put it on?

Should I unlock the xda first? (havent worked that out yet) or upgrade to wm6 and then it will be unlocked anyway?

Please please help I have been reading loads and trying to not ask obvious thigns.

Ather

Retired Senior Moderator
May 26, 2007
i donot know if its SIM locked or not...try givinf xda2unlock a try

second, to upgrade you need a ROM, there are MANY roms in this Himalaya WM6 Forum...many of them have detailed instructions :)

it wont be any harm if you upgrade first...try giving it a shot and tell me

Ather

Tippex

Oct 4, 2008
Wigan
I have also performed 'Unlock Wiz/Himalaya' but all I get is 'The phone seems unlocked already' - but it is not unlocked - any advice with this also?

Ather

Retired Senior Moderator
May 26, 2007
try to upgrade the rom simply, if u get stuck, we all are here :D

Tippex

Oct 4, 2008
Wigan
I am struggling through trying to work out how to unlock my sim and then flash WM6 onto my 02 XDA ii which therefore is a himalya - says PH10b in model no.

Anyway Im following one of the guides (http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index...0for newbies) and it says I have to establish whether it is a G3 or G4 or else Ill brick it and probably throw myself out of my window.

So I performed a soft reset and got the following information in red letters when I do it.
R 1.10.00
G 1337. 18
1.60.00WWE

I just don't know if it is a G3 or G4 and can't afford to brick this phone - so please could someone help me so I know which intructions to follow?

I will send best reply a stick of rock from Blackpool (famous for rock - its like sugary concerete).

Tippex

Oct 4, 2008
Wigan
Sorry to be unclear - it is sim locked - it has horrible 02 logos all over it.

Bastards.

Anyway it is sim locked and wm 2003 i think.
Im not clear about how to install a rom - i did update the drivers putting it in boot and then updating driver from what i downloaded - which I think was to resolve and issue with vista/xp as i am using vista.

Right now im trying to work out G3/G4 because i found what seemed to be a good instrucitonal post

Ather

Retired Senior Moderator
May 26, 2007
lol, the xda2 doesent has g3 or G4 :p ... so flash away

jadephyre

Jan 30, 2008
Moers
Samsung Galaxy A33
the Branding has nothing to do with the Simlock, my Himalaya is from O2 too, and all it had was Branding, no simlock.
I'm currently using E-Plus as my Provider, and i did not have to circumvent any simlock before flashing WM6.1 onto the Device.

Also, if it DID have a Simlock, it has probably worn off by now, since the Device is already older than 2 years...

Tippex

Oct 4, 2008
Wigan
I have managed to unlock the sim now thanks to the wonderful people here but still have no clue how to install wm6?

Ather

Retired Senior Moderator
May 26, 2007
congrats :) , just download any ROM and enjoy flashing it

Tippex

Oct 4, 2008
Wigan
do i just download a wm6 file and put it onto my pda and then execute it? double click it? is it that simple?

Tippex

Oct 4, 2008
Wigan
Can u spefically tell me how to implement a rom?
i assume i download it but then what?

I am thinking I'll just brick it - then spend months on here asking for help... Id rather just ask beforehand and find out how to do it.

jadephyre

Jan 30, 2008
Moers
Samsung Galaxy A33
it's exactly like ather said, you downloaded the ROM, now you can flash it to your XDA.

Just do it like it says in the Readme and you should have no Problems whatsoever :)

bobsys

Aug 31, 2003
Antwerp
Strange

I had an old Qtek 2020 and flashed it successfully to WM6.1 No problems exept...... the phne does not conect to the correct provider. The SIM is for the Belgian BASE provider whereas it connects always to ORANGE. When I put the SIM in my new Diamond or in my very old Nokia phne it connects to BASE as intended. I reflashed to the original Qtek WM 2003 SE and same thing. Reflashed again to WM6.1 ans still it only wants to connect to ORANGE ??? What am I overlooking?
BTW if I donload the list of providers there isno BASE provider. If I download the list on my Diamond it appears whithout any problem.

Ather

Retired Senior Moderator
May 26, 2007
it could be because of the Network Manager has old settings, try setting it up manually