Nook Color preset for Handbrake

Search This thread

MattZTexasu

Sep 3, 2009
I created a preset in handbrake for the nook color. I've used it for several videos and they've all worked really well.

I'm not sure how to export the presets exactly. what I've done is copy my user_presets.xml file and rename it to nook_preset.txt (forums won't let me upload an xml file.)

It's the only preset in the file, so you should be able to add the preset node to your existing user_presets.xml or replace the file completely if you haven't defined any yourself.

Here's a step by step:
1) locate your presets file (this link handbrake presets will help you.)
2) rename it from user_presets.xml to user_presets.xml.bak
3) copy one of my attached files (use 0.9.5 for the latest version of handbrake) to the same directory
4) rename it to user_presets.xml
If you had any presets already, this will remove them. If you want them back, just copy them from user_presets.xml.bak into the new user_presets.xml.

UPDATE: The above instructions are not necessary. The newest version of Handbrake includes an import option under the presets menu. I've attached a zip file that contains the nook.plist file to import. This should work on all platforms.

UPDATE 1/9/2011: Added revised preset for Handbrake version 0.9.5
UPDATE 1/10/2011: Added step-by-step instructions.
UPDATE 2/9/2011: Added a plist file.
UPDATE 2/27/2011: New nook.zip - Added resolution and aspect ratio settings to the plist file

Attachments

• Nook_preset.txt
    599 bytes · Views: 3,411
  • user_presets.0.9.5.txt
    567 bytes · Views: 2,947
  • nook.zip
    1 KB · Views: 5,729
Last edited:

MattZTexasu

Sep 3, 2009
I used the regular ipod setting, but I changed the resolution to 854x480. I turned off all video processing, and set the audio to 48 bit / 128kbps aac.

UPDATE: I forgot that I also changed the video bitrate. Upping it to 1100 instead of 700[? I don't remember.]

Last edited:

bigtourist

Dec 21, 2010
good idea to post them, i was just about to do the same, and the good news is that i have almost identical settings. im just using slightly higher quality audio (160kpbs) and leaving it on Stereo always, everything else looks exactly the same!

MattZTexasu

Sep 3, 2009
Wouldn't using the iPad preset and changing the 1024x768 to 1024x600 be better?
I'm not sure if that preset uses "high profile" or not. the NC only supports "baseline profile", and I know that's what the ipod setting uses.

The encodes from HD content look brilliant using this setting. I'm not sure how it could be better.

Reactions: wowmail

peiziyu

Aug 14, 2009
Using 1024x600 would not be "better" in any way. If you want to use the hardware decoding from the NC's default app (Movies when invoked from Astro but I think a part of Gallery), the video must be H.264 Baseline, AAC audio, resolution less than 854x480.

Sent from my Nook Color using XDA App

MattZTexasu

Sep 3, 2009
If there's no discernible difference with 480 vs 600 then forget I said anything. :cool:
I didn't think about the resolution you specified because you could just make the iphone profile 1024x600.

If I had understood your intention, I would have made you aware that the max video accelerated rez on the NC is 854x480 in my initial reply. Instead, I just focused on your use of the ipad profile.

I don't have personal experience; but I think I read somewhere that H.264 @ 1024x600 is a slide show.

mojonba

Sep 30, 2007
Tested with 720p Top Gun and looks perfect. Sound is a little low, but what I've read is that there is no way to adjust the audio gain in Handbrake. Thanks.

bugeyed1

Dec 24, 2010
Conroe, Tx
I also use "DropFolders". It uses HandBrake, but adds a watch folder & destination folder. Any video you drop in the watch folder starts DropFolder & it converts it & places the converted file in the destination folder. Very convenient. Start DropFolder first & then move the file to the watched folder.

Cheers,
kev

swapdotavi

Dec 16, 2010
From the nook user guide

"Mpeg4 Simple Profile up to 854x480
H.264 Baseline profile up to 854x480"

Ah, so it dosnt support hardware decoding past 480 huh? Good to know. I was wondering why it kept failing at 600. Turns out it's just because I cant read instructions! :D Still, I was running at 400 and it looked alright. Glad to know I can indeed push it a bit further.

bigtourist

Dec 21, 2010
Tested with 720p Top Gun and looks perfect. Sound is a little low, but what I've read is that there is no way to adjust the audio gain in Handbrake. Thanks.

you are correct that you cannot adjust the gain. however, (you may be aware of this already,) you can set the DRC on the Audio tab to compress the audio, which will essentially raise the quieter sections to match the louder ones. this will not make the loudest parts any louder though.

Dec 23, 2010
SubStation Alpha subtitles

For anybody trying to convert MKVs with SSA subtitles (i.e. sources such as anime), I had a heckuva time trying to figure out how get hard subs written to the MP4 output. Apparently the official stable release of Handbrake doesn't support SSA subs but all you need to do is download the latest nightly build and you're off to the races.

Using the settings the OP mentioned worked wonders when I was trying to convert my Hajime no Ippo episodes.

DropFolders looks interesting as well, I'm just not sure I'm crazy about using Adobe Air. Just another silly app to update all the freakin' time.

Anyway, good work, and thanks!

don_ernesto

Nov 19, 2010
DropFolders looks interesting as well, I'm just not sure I'm crazy about using Adobe Air. Just another silly app to update all the freakin' time.

i'm trying drop folders right now... it's a nice idea but it consumes almost the same CPU than handbrake itself.... i think it is better to run only handbrake and let it use full CPU (and finish in around half of the time)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I created a preset in handbrake for the nook color. I've used it for several videos and they've all worked really well.

I'm not sure how to export the presets exactly. what I've done is copy my user_presets.xml file and rename it to nook_preset.txt (forums won't let me upload an xml file.)

It's the only preset in the file, so you should be able to add the preset node to your existing user_presets.xml or replace the file completely if you haven't defined any yourself.

Here's a step by step:
    1) locate your presets file (this link handbrake presets will help you.)
    2) rename it from user_presets.xml to user_presets.xml.bak
    3) copy one of my attached files (use 0.9.5 for the latest version of handbrake) to the same directory
    4) rename it to user_presets.xml
    If you had any presets already, this will remove them. If you want them back, just copy them from user_presets.xml.bak into the new user_presets.xml.

UPDATE: The above instructions are not necessary. The newest version of Handbrake includes an import option under the presets menu. I've attached a zip file that contains the nook.plist file to import. This should work on all platforms.

UPDATE 1/9/2011: Added revised preset for Handbrake version 0.9.5
    UPDATE 1/10/2011: Added step-by-step instructions.
    UPDATE 2/9/2011: Added a plist file.
    UPDATE 2/27/2011: New nook.zip - Added resolution and aspect ratio settings to the plist file
    Wouldn't using the iPad preset and changing the 1024x768 to 1024x600 be better?
    I'm not sure if that preset uses "high profile" or not. the NC only supports "baseline profile", and I know that's what the ipod setting uses.

The encodes from HD content look brilliant using this setting. I'm not sure how it could be better.
    From the nook user guide

"Mpeg4 Simple Profile up to 854x480
    H.264 Baseline profile up to 854x480"
    I upgraded handbrake, and now I my nook color preset doesn't work. I think I'm going to have to create a new one for the new handbrake version.
    Are you using 0.9.5? Same thing happened to me. Not sure what presets you used, but if you set Maximum B-Frames to 0, and uncheck the CABAC Entropy Coding, 8x8 Transform, and Weighted P-Frames options, I bet you'll be back in business!

-Matt
    Just a follow up to my previous message ... The video files HandBrake created using the plist file from the zip posted in message #42 (minus the first three non-printable characters at the start of the file) played fine using the default video player on the NookColor.