• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Nook HD+] CM10.1 development for sdcard last update 09/04

Search This thread

verygreen

Feb 13, 2011
TN
linuxhacker.ru
I decided to start a new thread for 10.1 development on Nook HD+.

Starting with 5/30 build there is a new sdcard layout, so you will need to redo your sdcard from scratch if you were running anything different. See at the bottom of the post for historic info on legacy sdcard builds.

Installation instructions:
- Grab cwm early7.1, gunzip and write to your sdcard using dd under Linux/MacOS or WinImage under Windows. Minimum supported size is 2G. Sandisk Class 4 is best recommended, Sandisk U1/Class10 (you can tell them by being red and gray in color) are NOT recommended,
- Download latest CM sdcard build you want to install, currently latest is: cm-10.1-20130904-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
- Download other files you might want to flash.
- Place the install files you downloaded onto the Nook (or you can do adb push later in cwm).
- Insert sdcard that you wrote cwm image to into your powered off Nook.
- Turn on the Nook. CWM interface should load.
- In cwm navigate to install zip from sdcard. -> install from internal storage. (use volume buttons to navigate, home button to select, power button to go one menu level up).
- Choose your files to install and install them.
- When done installing, press power button a couple of times to get to the initial menu and then select reboot option.
- Nook should now reboot into CM10.1 that you can enjoy.

If you plan to use USB Host feature, you will need a gender changer, as B&N decided not to release a special cable so far. The control to enable USBHost is in quick settings panel (slide down in the top right corner of the screen to bring it up).

Known issues:
- Nook app reports incompatible in market (workaround1: just sideload it ; workaround2: change ro.product.device to nookhdplus in build.prop) - this is because B&N blacklists ovation platform for the app. Revert back once done, as otherwise you'll lose sound.
- Certain sdcards still remain unstable.
- In Android File Transfer "Internal memory" refers to sdcard and "sdcard" refers to Internal nook storage. This is not a bug and is intentional.

Changelog:
13/09/04 - cm-10.1-20130904-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
- Adjustments to heap size to fix Kindle app problems.
13/09/01 - cm-10.1-20130901-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
- fixed filedescriptor leak in sensors HAL, hopefully making stop to soft reboots
13/08/30 - cm-10.1-20130830-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
- layer allocation changes to improve smoothness
13/08/16 - cm-10.1-20130816-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
- Improve stability of Sandisk Ultra 16G cards.
13/08/13 - cm-10.1-20130813-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
- Enabled volume rocker wakeup and home button wakeup options in Settings.
13/08/10 - cm-10.1-20130810-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
- Data usage display should work now
- Lifted davlik vm settings a bit.
13/07/19 - cm-10.1-20130719-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
- Picked some kernel fixes from omapzoom tree that I think would be useful for us too, this includes some voltage changes (decreases).
- Disabled hwui scissors optimization as it seems to be doing more harm than good.
- Reverted too greedy davlik vm settings
- Kernel capable of charger control (with the app).
13/07/11 - cm-10.1-20130712-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip (backup link)
- Added Apple keyboard support
- Updated to CM-10.1.2 for security fixes
13/07/10 - cm-10.1-20130710-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
- redone touchscreen sensitivity changing mechanism, app to control it: NookTouchscreenSensitivityAdjuster-4.apk
- Rebased on cm-10.1.1 for the security fixes
13/07/04 - cm-10.1-20130704-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
- upgraded to fixed SGX DDK [email protected] (this fixes Google Earth, and a bunch of games)
13/07/03 - cm-10.1-20130703-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
- experimental touchscreen sensitivity change
- usb ids changed to match stock
- swap support enabled
- usb audio now actually works (only for output)
13/06/29 - cm-10.1-20130629-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
- in-kernel bluetooth
13/06/15 - cm-10.1-20130615-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
- WiFi Direct and BT tethering are now working
13/06/13 - cm-10.1-20130613-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
- Audio volume boost
- Zinio app now works out of the box
13/06/11 - cm-10.1-20130612-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
- Fixed HDMI audio
- Added USB audio support
13/06/05 - cm-10.1-20130605-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
- USBHost access is now conveniently located in QuickSettings.
- now any (one at a time) usb storage should be automounted no matter how you plug it.
13/06/02 - cm-10.1-20130603-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
- Forced usbHost support.
13/05/31 - cm-10.1-20130531-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
- Rebased to CM10.1-RC3
13/05/30 - cm-10.1-20130530-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
- Converted to new sdcard layout, old 4-partition layout is now deprecated. You should be able to return to stock with sdcard still plugged in without stock hanging at 99% forever.
- (original binary was lost due to operator error, so now this binary points to 5/31 release)

Legacy sdcard build info:

Anyway, installation instructions are basically the same as in CM10 thread, just need to use different installation binary.
You might want to use cwm early4 while you are at it too.
Installation on top of CM10 is not recommended.

Please report on whatever problems you happen to meet that I do not already know about.
Sound and video seem to be working.

Changelog:
13/05/29 - cm-10.1-20130529-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-legacysdcard.zip
- Fixed microphone input volume.
- Last legacy sdcard format release, consider upgrading to the new format.
13/05/12 - cm-10.1-20130512-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
- Fixed BT audio and probably hdmi audio too.
13/05/11 - cm-10.1-20130511-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
- Wifi battery drain should be gone now
- Should fix sgx crash on startup for those affected
- Cover close now should sleep the device (please test)
- Updated screen properties to highdpi (though that did not fix Nook app compatibility in market)
- Baselined on CM10.1-RC2
Binary snapshot from 05/05
- DRM probably does not work.
- internal storage is presented in a strange way in mtp, reason is yet unknown.
- BT Audio does not work
Binary snapshot from 04/24:
- same as 4/22 with "phone mode" disabled.
Binary snapshot from 04/22:
- bt does not work
- probably many other problems that I did not get to see yet?
Binary snapshot from 01/07:
- Bluetooth does not work
- Mic input is very faint
- sleep/battery life is not great, but the system is doing memsleep, it's just seem to be waking out pretty frequently for things like wifi (like every couple minutes, overall I lost ~14% battery in 8 hours on battery overnight on the first test, so definitely nothing to brag about.
- Old familiar notification bar at the bottom does not really work either, so it's a phone-looking top notification bar for now (seems to be upstream problem so far).
- Initial boot animation is distorted - just ignore it.
- Sometimes (usually after update in cwm) boot fails due to a crash in hwc, manifests itself as dimmed bootloader splash or garbage on the screen - just reboot and it'll come back.

Last edited:

akramarshad

Sep 27, 2008
cm 10.1 on sd card

I decided to start a new thread for 10.1 development on Nook HD+, because it's significantly less stable and so I do not want to cause confusion in CM10 thread.

Anyway, installation instructions are basically the same as in CM10 thread, just need to use different installation binary.

Please report on whatever problems you happen to meet that I do not already know about.

Known problems:
- sleep/battery life is not great, but the system is doing memsleep, it's just seem to be waking out pretty frequently for things like wifi (like every couple minutes, overall I lost ~14% battery in 8 hours on battery overnight on the first test, so definitely nothing to brag about.
- Old familiar notification bar at the bottom does not really work either, so it's a phone-looking top notification bar for now (seems to be upstream problem so far).
- Sometimes (usually after update in cwm) boot fails due to a crash in hwc, manifests itself as dimmed bootloader splash or garbage on the screen - just reboot and it'll come back.

I installed it finally after several reinstalls of image on 2 different cards (Samsung 8GB class 10 and A data 8GB class10) finally succeeded on Samsung.Took very longtime to boot and after optimizing apps constant message "unfortunately setup wizard has stopped kept coming and could not proceed any further.Reinstalled image on sd card reinstalled the zip,same result.

Reactions: mafj

CharlesW123

Sep 19, 2008
Sheffield, UK
Success after 2 reboots

Got it to boot finally! :)
Using the same 32gb SDcard as I was using for CM10. Had to wipe card and install the image (early 4 as suggested) and then adb push over the binary dated 01/07 and install it, on first boot was hanging on the Cyanoboot screen as mentioned by the OP, had to hold down power and shutdown and then power back on 2 times for it to actually start to boot, on 3rd boot it loaded fine, so my tip is to be patient and you shall persevere :)

Cheers verygreen, will get testing and give some feedback on your once again excellent work :)

Last edited:

tebra

Dec 8, 2010
Hi verygreen,
here is my feedback for the build 01/07.
The 2 first boot was hanging on the Cyanoboot screen but it boot correctly at the third.
Beside the bugs mentioned by the OP I also have freez of 1-2 second on every app how uses intensively internet (maps, firefox...)
3D games like Temple Run runs smooth :D
I have a FC for terminal emulator so I can't see dmesg command to analyse the freez bug with internet apps.

Thanks for your work

CharlesW123

Sep 19, 2008
Sheffield, UK
Usage review

Right I've been running this as my daily driver for 3 weeks now and gotta say other than a few little issues it works great :)
Issues are:
1. WiFi takes 3 goes to connect up most of the time, may be encryption specific (e.g. my work connection is WPA PSK and works most of the time first time but my home connection is WPA2 PSK encrypted and always requires me turning wifi on and off a few times before it gets past authenticating.
2. Random reboots, may well be sd card related as did have them before on CM10 too. Have found it happens fairly regularly when plugged in and charging (usually overnight) but can happen at any time, quite often in the stock browser, so most probably sd card i/o related.
I can try and grab logs if needed for the above?

Overall though works great and after having tweaked my build.prop to think it's a Nexus 7 I have even gotten Sky Go to work (UK based satellite tv broadcaster streaming app) so am super happy with it.
Great work Verygreen :)

Chi Ahrens

Dec 15, 2012
Yeah, I'm suspecting that the reboots are because of i/o issues with writing to the sdcard. I never have the tablet connected to adb running logcat when it reboots. It tends to reboot when it's just been sitting there for a while, never in the middle of something. I had to just go back to the stock rooted B&N kernal for my wife's HD+ because she was complaining about the crashes.

On the other hand, my HD running CM10.1 has been pretty stable - one reboot per week. I just did the hybrid install yesterday, so I'm hoping that it's completely stable now. Only time will tell.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Re: [Nook HD+] CM10.1 development

Hmm ... interesting "hybrid install". Can you guide?
Just prepare a new SD with his new image (from his hybrid thread) and install the same way as you normally do on SD. Just have to use his 1/30 or newer. It is all automatic. It leaves /boot and /system and /sdcard on SD and puts /data on internal memory (as a folder under internal data). That way stock can still boot without hanging with the SD in and data runs faster.

Edit: But this is only implemented on the HD, so it will not help you. You might look at his old hybrid, with that one you can take the card out once booted, which I think is what you wanted. If that got set up on the HD+ it would make it so the card gets taken out, and it stays on CM10 until rebooted.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab running Tapatalk

Last edited:

datas0ft

Jan 10, 2011
Vantaa
Thanks again leapinlar. I try this tomorrow when I again at work.

Have anyone idea or guide how to get never version CM10.1? On my Galaxy Tab 10.1 i use nightly build and it got many many great updates and fixes. For Galaxy i know git and can compile it itself, but for Nook no.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006

Thanks again leapinlar. I try this tomorrow when I again at work.

Have anyone idea or guide how to get never version CM10.1? On my Galaxy Tab 10.1 i use nightly build and it got many many great updates and fixes. For Galaxy i know git and can compile it itself, but for Nook no.

See my edit. For HD only. Only source of CM10.1 is verygreen, and you have to wait for him to update.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab running Tapatalk

Zachinater

Jan 12, 2013
monument

Will updating to the latest Barnes and noble firmware stop SD from booting to jelly bean 2?

Sent from my Barnes & Noble Nook HD+ using xda app-developers app

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006

On my HD + the internal memory I'd not accessible while dual booting
Is there any fix for this

nook HD + dual booting cm10.1

I'm not sure what you mean, while dual booting. You mean while booted to CM10.1? If that is what you mean, it is under the /emmc folder.

Sent with XDA Premium from my Nook HD+ running CM10 on SD

Last edited:

Zachinater

Jan 12, 2013
monument

But my emmc is not accessible while running cm10.1 I can view the files but they are not accessible
For instance the music from emmc does not show
And under storage it doesn't show

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006

But my emmc is not accessible while running cm10.1 I can view the files but they are not accessible
For instance the music from emmc does not show
And under storage it doesn't show

You are still not being clear. What do you mean accessible? Do you mean some specific program cannot load the files? And how can you view them, with a file manager? Do you mean seeing the files on your PC? You need to be more specific if you want help.

Sent from my Nook HD running CM10.1 on SD

Last edited:

Zachinater

Jan 12, 2013
monument
update needed

we really need an update
ive been waiting for an update for almost a month now please update this rom
and how do i get drm to work i have netflix but i cant use it cause of drm

Stevethegreat

Nov 28, 2010
Verygreen used to update every couple of days or so, but for the last month development has almost stopped whiich leads me to believe that there are RL issues involved in which case i would think that it is rude to ask for updates. If verygreen can't continue development (for whatever reason) we only have to hope that another dev will continue and build upon his work, there's not much else to do/happen, andvasking for updaters certainly doesn't really help...

Back on topic: this rom is by far the best I've used to my nook. Unstable as the others to be sure but noticeably smoother (maybe it only seems so due to the added animations from 4.2). Also I love the rest of 4.2 additions (notification bar, etc), it would be indeed great see this rom developed further, but as I wrote to my prologue, each to its own time...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I decided to start a new thread for 10.1 development on Nook HD+.

Starting with 5/30 build there is a new sdcard layout, so you will need to redo your sdcard from scratch if you were running anything different. See at the bottom of the post for historic info on legacy sdcard builds.

Installation instructions:
    - Grab cwm early7.1, gunzip and write to your sdcard using dd under Linux/MacOS or WinImage under Windows. Minimum supported size is 2G. Sandisk Class 4 is best recommended, Sandisk U1/Class10 (you can tell them by being red and gray in color) are NOT recommended,
    - Download latest CM sdcard build you want to install, currently latest is: cm-10.1-20130904-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
    - Download other files you might want to flash.
    - Place the install files you downloaded onto the Nook (or you can do adb push later in cwm).
    - Insert sdcard that you wrote cwm image to into your powered off Nook.
    - Turn on the Nook. CWM interface should load.
    - In cwm navigate to install zip from sdcard. -> install from internal storage. (use volume buttons to navigate, home button to select, power button to go one menu level up).
    - Choose your files to install and install them.
    - When done installing, press power button a couple of times to get to the initial menu and then select reboot option.
    - Nook should now reboot into CM10.1 that you can enjoy.

If you plan to use USB Host feature, you will need a gender changer, as B&N decided not to release a special cable so far. The control to enable USBHost is in quick settings panel (slide down in the top right corner of the screen to bring it up).

Known issues:
    - Nook app reports incompatible in market (workaround1: just sideload it ; workaround2: change ro.product.device to nookhdplus in build.prop) - this is because B&N blacklists ovation platform for the app. Revert back once done, as otherwise you'll lose sound.
    - Certain sdcards still remain unstable.
    - In Android File Transfer "Internal memory" refers to sdcard and "sdcard" refers to Internal nook storage. This is not a bug and is intentional.

Changelog:
    13/09/04 - cm-10.1-20130904-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
    - Adjustments to heap size to fix Kindle app problems.
    13/09/01 - cm-10.1-20130901-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
    - fixed filedescriptor leak in sensors HAL, hopefully making stop to soft reboots
    13/08/30 - cm-10.1-20130830-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
    - layer allocation changes to improve smoothness
    13/08/16 - cm-10.1-20130816-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
    - Improve stability of Sandisk Ultra 16G cards.
    13/08/13 - cm-10.1-20130813-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
    - Enabled volume rocker wakeup and home button wakeup options in Settings.
    13/08/10 - cm-10.1-20130810-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
    - Data usage display should work now
    - Lifted davlik vm settings a bit.
    13/07/19 - cm-10.1-20130719-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
    - Picked some kernel fixes from omapzoom tree that I think would be useful for us too, this includes some voltage changes (decreases).
    - Disabled hwui scissors optimization as it seems to be doing more harm than good.
    - Reverted too greedy davlik vm settings
    - Kernel capable of charger control (with the app).
    13/07/11 - cm-10.1-20130712-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip (backup link)
    - Added Apple keyboard support
    - Updated to CM-10.1.2 for security fixes
    13/07/10 - cm-10.1-20130710-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
    - redone touchscreen sensitivity changing mechanism, app to control it: NookTouchscreenSensitivityAdjuster-4.apk
    - Rebased on cm-10.1.1 for the security fixes
    13/07/04 - cm-10.1-20130704-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
    - upgraded to fixed SGX DDK [email protected] (this fixes Google Earth, and a bunch of games)
    13/07/03 - cm-10.1-20130703-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
    - experimental touchscreen sensitivity change
    - usb ids changed to match stock
    - swap support enabled
    - usb audio now actually works (only for output)
    13/06/29 - cm-10.1-20130629-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
    - in-kernel bluetooth
    13/06/15 - cm-10.1-20130615-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
    - WiFi Direct and BT tethering are now working
    13/06/13 - cm-10.1-20130613-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
    - Audio volume boost
    - Zinio app now works out of the box
    13/06/11 - cm-10.1-20130612-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
    - Fixed HDMI audio
    - Added USB audio support
    13/06/05 - cm-10.1-20130605-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
    - USBHost access is now conveniently located in QuickSettings.
    - now any (one at a time) usb storage should be automounted no matter how you plug it.
    13/06/02 - cm-10.1-20130603-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
    - Forced usbHost support.
    13/05/31 - cm-10.1-20130531-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
    - Rebased to CM10.1-RC3
    13/05/30 - cm-10.1-20130530-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
    - Converted to new sdcard layout, old 4-partition layout is now deprecated. You should be able to return to stock with sdcard still plugged in without stock hanging at 99% forever.
    - (original binary was lost due to operator error, so now this binary points to 5/31 release)

Legacy sdcard build info:

Changelog:
    13/05/29 - cm-10.1-20130529-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-legacysdcard.zip
    - Fixed microphone input volume.
    - Last legacy sdcard format release, consider upgrading to the new format.
    13/05/12 - cm-10.1-20130512-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
    - Fixed BT audio and probably hdmi audio too.
    13/05/11 - cm-10.1-20130511-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
    - Wifi battery drain should be gone now
    - Should fix sgx crash on startup for those affected
    - Updated screen properties to highdpi (though that did not fix Nook app compatibility in market)
    Binary snapshot from 05/05
    - DRM probably does not work.
    - internal storage is presented in a strange way in mtp, reason is yet unknown.
    - BT Audio does not work
    Binary snapshot from 04/24:
    - same as 4/22 with "phone mode" disabled.
    Binary snapshot from 04/22:
    - bt does not work
    - probably many other problems that I did not get to see yet?
    Sorry all, got real busy with work.

Spent this weekend getting up to speed on CM10.1 on hd+ an the result is here: http://nook.rootshell.ru/hd/cm-10.1-20130422-UNOFFICIAL-ovation.zip

it's pretty much somewhere around cm10 on hd+ I would suspect, but did not do any extensive testing yet. I know the logo is distorted at first during bootup ;)

what I did try: angry birds space and youtube both work, wifi works, bt does not (need to look into it).

I assume booting from emmc is still a winner? Any other important revelations from the past month or two that I missed (don't really have time to read past discussions)?
    With B&N unlikely to release another omap-based reader, I guess there's no harm in releasing a native uboot that boots from emmc now (unless somebody beat me to it already)
    New update: cm-10.1-20130511-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip
    - Wifi battery drain should be gone now due to wifi drivers update
    Sorry, still have only very limited time to play with this, so progress is slow.
    This snapshot only (hopefully) has "phone mode" fixed.
    http://nook.rootshell.ru/hd/cm-10.1-20130424-UNOFFICIAL-ovation.zip
    And another cm10.1 binary drop.

This one includes sensors HAL leak fix that should relieve the widely reported problem of random reboots, I hope.

cm-10.1-20130901-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip