Nook OG Running on Charger

Search This thread

farmerstele3

Mar 6, 2022
I have two original nook first editions, both had puffy batteries, and would not charge or turn on, I took out the batteries, but was wondering if I can run them off of their chargers. Would be willing to root or run new software, I just want to see them run again... thanks!

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
I took out the batteries, but was wondering if I can run them off of their chargers.
Maybe. There's a couple of problems here.
The first is simply that the USB charging circuit usually can't deliver the peak current required by the device.
Next is the fact that the battery check is probably in different places in the code.

It's easier to pretend that you have a battery.
That means that you need a 4V to 4.3V supply connected in where the battery was.
Depending on how many wires go to the battery pack there may be temperature sensors or ID resistors.
You need to keep the old ones or implement new ones.
I've got half a dozen devices that have been so modified.

How many wires/colors does the battery connector have? Photo would be appreciated.
You need to either reuse the little BMS circuit board or measure it and implement it.

Here's a photo of my brand new Walmart Onn8 tablet that is running off a 4V supply

Attachments

• spkr1.jpg
    spkr1.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 4

farmerstele3

Mar 6, 2022
Maybe. There's a couple of problems here.
The first is simply that the USB charging circuit usually can't deliver the peak current required by the device.
Next is the fact that the battery check is probably in different places in the code.

It's easier to pretend that you have a battery.
That means that you need a 4V to 4.3V supply connected in where the battery was.
Depending on how many wires go to the battery pack there may be temperature sensors or ID resistors.
You need to keep the old ones or implement new ones.
I've got half a dozen devices that have been so modified.

How many wires/colors does the battery connector have? Photo would be appreciated.
You need to either reuse the little BMS circuit board or measure it and implement it.

Here's a photo of my brand new Walmart Onn8 tablet that is running off a 4V supply
I'll have to rip it apart again, so it will be a while.