• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Noot Tablet - Easy root & Market on MAC (1 download, 1 script to run)

Search This thread

t-r-i-c-k

Nov 18, 2011
UPDATED 12/23
---------------------------
1) Added automatic fixing of devicemanager.apk sql databases to prevent OTA root (thanks for the SQL tweak suggestions, Indirect)
2) Added otaban.sh script for those who are already rooted and just want to tweak the sql databases (you will need to put your device back in USB debug mode)
3) Added getroot.sh to just dump the nook back in to rooted/adb mode

INSTRUCTIONS

(Please follow these to the letter; over 500 people have downloaded this script and very few have reported issues)

On the NOOK
Disconnect from USB
Factory restore & initial setup

Browse to this:
http://goo.gl/vTNpJ
Click on notifications center, wait for the file to finish downloading.
Press on downloaded go_launcher_ex_v2.66.apk file
Select Complete action using package installer
It should say "install blocked"

Press settings
Tick unknown sources (press ok)
Pick Development
Tick USB debugging (press ok)
Tick the other USB debugging further down
Untick Automount
Back/Back

Connect the Nook to the MAC. On the nook you should see "USB debugging connected" in notifications center

On the MAC

Download the nooktablet-mac-root-0.6.zip file from http://goo.gl/qyYDB
Open Terminal, and change in to the directory where the zip file was downloaded. Unzip and cd in to the directory created. EG:

Code:
[B]cd ~/Downloads
unzip nooktablet-mac-root-0.6.zip
cd nooktablet-mac-root-0.6[/B]

Start the rooting script:

Code:
[B]./go.sh[/B]

Sometimes adb doesn't wake up immediately. Just try go.sh again if it says it can't find your Nook and you are sure it's in debug mode and plugged in properly. Also don't connect via a USB Hub.

When the script is finished, it should say "Done. Unplug from USB now"
The Nook will reboot.

You are now rooted and the following is auto-installed for you

1) Go Launcher Ex (Rooted App Launch/Desktop)
2) Market Place (The Android "App Store")
3) Button Savior (adds tiny button on right of screen for nagivation home/back etc)
4) Home Catcher (makes 2 clicks of the Nook N bring up the new Launcher)
5) Nook Color App Menu (allows you to install sideloaded apps to the Nook home screen/Library)
6) Dolphin HD Browser (Replacement web browser)

In addition, some tweaks have been made to prevent OTA updates from working, preserving your root state.

Last edited:

atm0sphere

Apr 10, 2011
NY
trying this now..

thanks a lot! i spent 2 hours last night trying to get the other method working and it gave me the headache of the gods.

edit: that mediafire link is crawling for me (dl is at like .2kb/s) can anyone mirror it for others who may have similar issues?

Last edited:

jdubr

Nov 17, 2011
This worked great, thanks!

I had one minor glitch. I was doing this on an old MBP running Leopard and for whatever reason it wouldn't create the ~/.android directory when I ran the script.

I created the directory manually and re-ran the script and it worked perfectly! Thanks again!

t-r-i-c-k

Nov 18, 2011
This worked great, thanks!

I had one minor glitch. I was doing this on an old MBP running Leopard and for whatever reason it wouldn't create the ~/.android directory when I ran the script.

I created the directory manually and re-ran the script and it worked perfectly! Thanks again!

Ah, I just looked at the script, I realized now I missed out the mkdir -p ~/.android in it, hence your issue. I will likely fix that and update the script/zip file when I get a minute.

I'm currently considering whether to make the script install busybox at the moment. I don't really need it myself, but I see other people might.

Part of the problem is that if I develop the script any further I ought to test it before releasing it... but I really don't want to keep re-rooting my nook. I want to actually use the damn thing!!

Reactions: Sigilist

jdubr

Nov 17, 2011
Part of the problem is that if I develop the script any further I ought to test it before releasing it... but I really don't want to keep re-rooting my nook. I want to actually use the damn thing!!

I totally get that. I had just gotten done side-loading tons of stuff and getting my launcher screens setup the way I wanted and then I saw your script and thought about it for a day before breaking down and wiping my NT and starting over.

It was worth it! Thanks again!

lanceot

Sep 20, 2011
I'm confused... rooting on PC using other method didn't work for me and now I'm stumped on Mac as well.

This part stumped me:

unzip it
cd in to nooktablet-mac-root-0.4 directory
mkdir -p ~/.android
./go.sh

Can someone explain the steps in greater detail? I tried runing the adb fiel via terminal, it goes through the script but does nothing on installing files to the device.

Thanks.

kisstek

Nov 23, 2011
Minor problems encountered

I followed the directions and it mostly worked. First, had the problem with the missing:

[ ! -d ~/.android ] && mkdir ~/.android

Then I wasn't sure about the step where it says to click on the golauncher icon in the notifier. I clicked on the LauncherPro.apk entry and choose the package installer. That seemed to work but I'm not sure that's what you meant.

Then found out I should have unplugged the USB cable before rebooting otherwise the launcher chooser is covered by some wrning message. (I can't remember the exact wording now.)

Installed Button Savior. Not sure what that does. I can't figure out where it's suppose to be on the screen.

And worst of all, LauncherPro keeps crashing on me, dumping me back into native Nook mode. That requires a reboot.

But despite all that, I'm happy and will now probably keep my NT.

Big thanks!!

Mike

t-r-i-c-k

Nov 18, 2011
I'm confused... rooting on PC using other method didn't work for me and now I'm stumped on Mac as well.

This part stumped me:

unzip it
mkdir -p ~/.android
./go.sh

Can someone explain the steps in greater detail? I tried runing the adb fiel via terminal, it goes through the script but does nothing on installing files to the device.

Thanks.

Literally type

unzip nooktkablet-mac-root-0.4.zip
cd nooktablet-mac-root-0.4
mkdir -p ~/.android
./go.sh

Sent from my BNTV250 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sigilist and mlb107

t-r-i-c-k

Nov 18, 2011
Then I wasn't sure about the step where it says to click on the golauncher icon in the notifier. I clicked on the LauncherPro.apk entry and choose the package installer. That seemed to work but I'm not sure that's what you meant.

Then found out I should have unplugged the USB cable before rebooting otherwise the launcher chooser is covered by some wrning message. (I can't remember the exact wording now.)

Installed Button Savior. Not sure what that does. I can't figure out where it's suppose to be on the screen.

And worst of all, LauncherPro keeps crashing on me, dumping me back into native Nook mode. That requires a reboot.

But despite all that, I'm happy and will now probably keep my NT.

Big thanks!!

Mike

Launcher: that's what I meant.
Unplug: if you dont before you reboot it probably wants to media sync
Button savior: installs a tiny button on the right of the screen. Gets you back/home
LAUNCHER: certain things crash for me. Cant change dock shortcuts for example

I'm sure this will all get smoother in time. Pretty good already though.

Reactions: Sigilist

kisstek

Nov 23, 2011
Thanks. I found the little tiny button savior icon while trying out an ssh client. It shows up well on a black background. :)

And that does make it real easy to get back and forth between Android and Nook. Thanks again for making this easy and the button savior recommendation.

I may have to break down and try the Amazon store now.

mlb107

Nov 23, 2011
Connect the Nook to the MAC. On the nook you should see "USB debugging enabled" in notifications center

On the MAC

Download the nooktablet-mac-root-0.4.zip file

unzip it
mkdir -p ~/.android
./go.sh

Sometimes adb doesn't wake up immediately. Just try go.sh again if it says it can't find your Nook and you are sure it's in debug mode and plugged in properly.

On the NOOK

Click on Notification center again, and press on the Golancher Icon again. Install the Goauncher
Reboot
After reboot, slide to unlock and it should ask "complete action using..". Pick LauncherPRO
Open Marketplace which should be on the launcher screen
Sign in with your google credentials, attach the device to your account
Install button savior from the Marketplace.
Browse to amazon.com/app-email
Click notifications and watch for Amazon appstore apk download
Click and install.

You should now be live with Android Market & Amazon Market.

Hey! Noob here. Thanks so much for this! Just have a few questions...is this a permanent fix? I currently have the amazon appstore, but not android, so is this going to be set up the same way (i.e. have to click search and then go launcher to find the apps)?

When I connect to my mac, the usb debugging prompt will come up right away (like the screen for file xfer normally does)?

After unzipping, are those instructions to enter into the mac's terminal command prompt? Sorry, that's where u lost me! Is "cd" short for something? Thanks again for your help. Just want to make sure I do this right the first time. I think swype is the first thing I will install. Hating this keyboard!!!

Sigilist

Mar 4, 2011
First, I want to openly thank t-r-i-c-k for this. Even with little to no knowledge of this kind of stuff, after futzing with terminal for a while I got it to work in two tries. Finally, freedom from another lock-in service/device. But I am having a little glitch that I don't understand.

It's intermittent, but now and then I'm getting a crash on the launcher. It happens when trying to adjust settings/preferences. No big deal as it comes right back, and maybe its the app itself. Anyone else facing this?

jdubr

Nov 17, 2011
LAUNCHER: certain things crash for me. Cant change dock shortcuts for example

I'm sure this will all get smoother in time. Pretty good already though.

I installed the ADW Launcher because LauncherPro wouldn't let me change the dock shortcuts. ADW is letting me modify just about everything--dock shortcuts, icons, etc., without issue.

I get an occasional crash but not as many as before.

t-r-i-c-k

Nov 18, 2011
I installed the ADW Launcher because LauncherPro wouldn't let me change the dock shortcuts. ADW is letting me modify just about everything--dock shortcuts, icons, etc., without issue.

I get an occasional crash but not as many as before.

ADW seemed slow to me. I just switched to Launcher Ex anf thsts is working nicely. No crashes yes.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATED 12/23
    ---------------------------
    1) Added automatic fixing of devicemanager.apk sql databases to prevent OTA root (thanks for the SQL tweak suggestions, Indirect)
    2) Added otaban.sh script for those who are already rooted and just want to tweak the sql databases (you will need to put your device back in USB debug mode)
    3) Added getroot.sh to just dump the nook back in to rooted/adb mode

INSTRUCTIONS

(Please follow these to the letter; over 500 people have downloaded this script and very few have reported issues)

On the NOOK
    Disconnect from USB
    Factory restore & initial setup

Browse to this:
    http://goo.gl/vTNpJ
    Click on notifications center, wait for the file to finish downloading.
    Press on downloaded go_launcher_ex_v2.66.apk file
    Select Complete action using package installer
    It should say "install blocked"

Press settings
    Tick unknown sources (press ok)
    Pick Development
    Tick USB debugging (press ok)
    Tick the other USB debugging further down
    Untick Automount
    Back/Back

Connect the Nook to the MAC. On the nook you should see "USB debugging connected" in notifications center

On the MAC

Download the nooktablet-mac-root-0.6.zip file from http://goo.gl/qyYDB
    Open Terminal, and change in to the directory where the zip file was downloaded. Unzip and cd in to the directory created. EG:

Code:
    [B]cd ~/Downloads
    unzip nooktablet-mac-root-0.6.zip
    cd nooktablet-mac-root-0.6[/B]

Start the rooting script:

Code:
    [B]./go.sh[/B]

Sometimes adb doesn't wake up immediately. Just try go.sh again if it says it can't find your Nook and you are sure it's in debug mode and plugged in properly. Also don't connect via a USB Hub.

When the script is finished, it should say "Done. Unplug from USB now"
    The Nook will reboot.

You are now rooted and the following is auto-installed for you

1) Go Launcher Ex (Rooted App Launch/Desktop)
    2) Market Place (The Android "App Store")
    3) Button Savior (adds tiny button on right of screen for nagivation home/back etc)
    4) Home Catcher (makes 2 clicks of the Nook N bring up the new Launcher)
    5) Nook Color App Menu (allows you to install sideloaded apps to the Nook home screen/Library)
    6) Dolphin HD Browser (Replacement web browser)

In addition, some tweaks have been made to prevent OTA updates from working, preserving your root state.
    Worked beautifully! Where can I send a donation to?

Tempting and appreciated as that is, there is no neeed. Good luck,

This part stumped me:

unzip it
    mkdir -p ~/.android
    ./go.sh

Thanks.

Literally type

unzip nooktkablet-mac-root-0.4.zip
    cd nooktablet-mac-root-0.4
    mkdir -p ~/.android
    ./go.sh

Thanks for the link!

However, it doesnt show the Google account setup. I need to disable Calendar syncing, so need to go back to the account setup.

Try quick sync settings in the Marketplace
    I have never set up SDK on Mac. If you know of a guide/steps, point me to it.

If you just want to root there is no need to install the sdk. My zip has everything you need. You intend to flash back to 1.4.0 first correct? That will be necessary.