• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[NOT a rom - devs only!] Moto G3 xt1540 soak test files [MM soak v3 Dec 7]

Search This thread

hp420

Jul 31, 2011
Gainesville, Fl
Google Nexus 4
T-Mobile LG G2
I've obtained the v1 official MM soak test for xt1540 US 16gb/2gb variant. I've had the links posted elsewhere here for a couple days, but I wanted to give this better exposure so more devs can make use of it.

I WILL NOT SHARE THE SIGNED OTA PUBLICLY, SO DO NOT ASK!!
ANY KNOWN MOTO G DEVELOPERS WHO CAN MAKE USE OF IT, PLEASE PM ME!

v2 fixes storage mounting. To get it working you must enable developer options, scroll to select usb configuration, then select mtp. Even if MTP is already selected, you still have to check it again. As soon as you click it your device's storage will automatically remount and the files will be visible from your computer.

v3 enables storage mounting switch via the notification shade. Click the "USB for_____" notification to switch.

SOAK TEST v3

full system dump
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8idNtSYGvpqelptaXZhMnFnUlE

unsplit system.img
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8idNtSYGvpqeTVSalB5TjJXR1k

boot.img
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8idNtSYGvpqMkY2TFp3aUxOSVk

stock recovery.img
[unchanged. see soak test v1]

modem.img
[unchanged. see soak test v2]

SOAK TEST v4

**skipped this one, since it was replaced within only a few days**

Last edited:

hp420

Jul 31, 2011
Gainesville, Fl
Google Nexus 4
T-Mobile LG G2
@hp420 thank you and would you know if theres any more differences between the xt1540 and xt1541 other than the radio?

I can't think of any reason there would be any other difference. I honestly think that is the only difference at all among any of the variants, which would explain why roms are universal. The radio isn't flashed with an aosp rom, so you're not changing one of the few things that define that variant.

I would bet even the bootloader and all are identical, 100%.

This is how Nexus devices are, and we basically have that, with the one exception of Moto's sparsechunk system images, which are just a split standard system.img....and that's what I've posted above...so, in theory, a diligent user who knows a little bit about this kind of stuff could split that system.img posted above into sparsechunks set to our default maximum sparsechunk size (which is somewhere around 260mb, I believe) and have a working factory image. All you would have to do is replace the radio with each region's own proper radio and it would be universal.

I'm no expert, so I can't guarantee...I'm only theorizing based on my experience as a Nexus tinkerer for many many years. But if you are comfortable with this stuff and want to give it a shot I do have some resources I dug up a few days ago before I sort of chickened out and stopped before I got myself into a situation I didn't know how to get out of.

Last edited:

dd98

May 19, 2013
I can't think of any reason there would be any other difference. I honestly think that is the only difference at all among any of the variants, which would explain why roms are universal. The radio isn't flashed with an aosp rom, so you're not changing one of the few things that define that variant.

I would bet even the bootloader and all are identical, 100%.

This is how Nexus devices are, and we basically have that, with the one exception of Moto's sparsechunk system images, which are just a split standard system.img....and that's what I've posted above...so, in theory, a diligent user who knows a little bit about this kind of stuff could split that system.img posted above into sparsechunks set to our default maximum sparsechunk size (which is somewhere around 260mb, I believe) and have a working factory image. All you would have to do is replace the radio with each region's own proper radio and it would be universal.

I'm no expert, so I can't guarantee...I'm only theorizing based on my experience as a Nexus tinkerer for many many years. But if you are comfortable with this stuff and want to give it a shot I do have some resources I dug up a few days ago before I sort of chickened out and stopped before I got myself into a situation I didn't know how to get out of.

I was thinking of maybe flashing the system.img, not through fastboot, but using the command dd if=sdcard/system.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p(whatever) then hopefully i can test it then and report back to you, at least if it works that way then we have some sort of means of installing it

hp420

Jul 31, 2011
Gainesville, Fl
Google Nexus 4
T-Mobile LG G2
I was thinking of maybe flashing the system.img, not through fastboot, but using the command dd if=sdcard/system.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p(whatever) then hopefully i can test it then and report back to you, at least if it works that way then we have some sort of means of installing it

I guess that should work. That's exactly how I dumped it...just reversed ;) It never occurred to me I could go the other way with it, for some reason. Please keep me posted on your results...I'm very interested in this!!

Oh boy! Now this is Christmas! :D thanks man!

You're very welcome, bud!! :D I'm glad to be able to spark some good movement in our development!!

I miss the fast paced Nexus forums so much. I still have my N4, but there isn't as much activity as there once was. This is basically a Nexus, for all intents and purposes, so maybe we can get a few more of those great devs to build for us if we can show them that there's movement happening here.

hp420

Jul 31, 2011
Gainesville, Fl
Google Nexus 4
T-Mobile LG G2
@hp420, I got it to work and I have made a TWRP backup made of the ROM if you would like it

Feel free to upload it and post it if you'd like :D

To the best of my knowledge, the leaker doesn't mind anything resulting from this being posted, as long as the original signed OTA isn't shared publicly, and I'm the only one in possession of that. So everyone may feel free to use anything I've posted here for any project...just please remember to say thanks! Without our friend, none of these files would be available.

Also, in the interest of open information, this is the post I spoke of earlier to split a system.img into sparse chunks, usable by fastboot. The app does run for me using wine on debian 8 jessie, if anyone is interested in that.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2749797

Last edited:
Reactions: opomiyulen

dd98

May 19, 2013
Feel free to upload it and post it if you'd like :D

To the best of my knowledge, the leaker doesn't mind anything resulting from this being posted, as long as the original signed OTA isn't shared publicly, and I'm the only one in possession of that. So everyone may feel free to use anything I've posted here for any project...just please remember to say thanks! Without our friend, none of these files would be available.

Also, in the interest of open information, this is the post I spoke of earlier to split a system.img into sparse chunks, usable by fastboot. The app does run for me using wine on debian 8 jessie, if anyone is interested in that.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2749797

I will upload in the morning, and I have Windows on my laptop aswell so then we can have our system.img into sparsechunks

dd98

May 19, 2013
Soak test v2 is uploaded and added to the OP. The only thing we don't have dumped is the updated modem.img. We're working on that but I don't have the signed ota for this one, so this part is out of my hands.

I think I will be better off getting a TWRP backup of this soak test and just leaving the TWRP backup of the first soak test because I was playing around with the backup and I corrupted the files :), but Ill get this new backup to you asap

Top Liked Posts