• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Not a screen of death but maybe a glimpse of it

Search This thread

vdamir78

Jan 15, 2018
My Note20U5G has had this small glitch for a while:
When I am using it, especially it I am opening an app window or typing inside one, EVERYTHING on my screen disappears for like 1 second. The only thing left is the homescreen wallpaper (without icons on it) and after that 1 second everything comes back to normal, if I was typing the screen where I left of, I am taken back to continue typing, etc... Now, even though this happens only once or up to twice a day, I figured it could be a sign that something is wrong.
So what I did was, is that I deactivated all apps that (in my opinion) could've contributed to this; onehand operation plus, live wallpapers, some apps in the background such as wireless power sharing, that I really never use.
However, no help. The twice a day glitch continued.
Next, I wiped cache using the "safe mode" or whatever it is called. I did this 2 days ago. And yesterday the whole day phone operated without glitches. But as day passed today I got one again.

As I am clueless what to do next I figured to do a hard reset, that is set the phone to factory settings.
Since I've owned this phone since November, there's some preparation to do before reseting to factory settings, so I thought to ask you guys if someone else had this glitch, as I was unable to google for it.
Thanks

fizzingbees

Feb 12, 2014
Peshawar
Looks like a system UI crash and spontaneous recovery.

Do you have any apps put to sleep /standby or enlisted in deep sleep esp system apps

Also do you have power saving turned on.
Any thing that you changed in developers options.

I would update my phone to latest firmware and factory reset it.

Update all apps

Report back with an update

vdamir78

Jan 15, 2018
Looks like a system UI crash and spontaneous recovery.

Do you have any apps put to sleep /standby or enlisted in deep sleep esp system apps

Also do you have power saving turned on.
Any thing that you changed in developers options.

I would update my phone to latest firmware and factory reset it.

Update all apps

Report back with an update
Nope, I don't have power saving on.
Here are my deep sleep apps. Nothing worth mentioning there IMO, all of them are some apps I might use but I don't ever need them running in the background.
If I go for factory reset, what is the best way to do it and no lose any personal data by chance. Obviously, I would back up photos to my computer... But other than that, what should I be careful about?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210526-231447_Device care.jpg
    Screenshot_20210526-231447_Device care.jpg
    597.8 KB · Views: 18

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Try clearing the system cache.
Factory reset time, may be malware or maybe the OS or a vital system apk got corrupted.
Almost always caused by a 3rd party app especially launchers.

You got an SD card slot, use it!
It's a data drive; you have a dual drive PC🥰
OS, download folder and apps go on internal storage.
Critical data, user files, music, vids, DCIM (move images here once a week or so) and backup copies of apps, app settings backup, phone contact backups, etc go on the SD card.
Use ApkExport to copy all your apps... no Playstore needed for a reload.
Everything you need for a full restore should be on the SD card. Think it through completely to avoid unpleasant surprises.

The Lexar 512 gb V30 card works well $75.
Other cards may be faster; only use a name brand card with at least a V30 rating.

Note: backup the SD card to at least 2 hhds that are physically and electronically isolated from each other!

vdamir78

Jan 15, 2018
Try clearing the system cache.
Factory reset time, may be malware or maybe the OS or a vital system apk got corrupted.
Almost always caused by a 3rd party app especially launchers.

You got an SD card slot, use it!
It's a data drive; you have a dual drive PC🥰
OS, download folder and apps go on internal storage.
Critical data, user files, music, vids, DCIM (move images here once a week or so) and backup copies of apps, app settings backup, phone contact backups, etc go on the SD card.
Use ApkExport to copy all your apps... no Playstore needed for a reload.
Everything you need for a full restore should be on the SD card. Think it through completely to avoid unpleasant surprises.

The Lexar 512 gb V30 card works well $75.
Other cards may be faster; only use a name brand card with at least a V30 rating.

Note: backup the SD card to at least 2 hhds that are physically and electronically isolated from each other!
LoL I didn't know there was a memory slot, didn't need to think about it since I switched from a 128gb phone to this 256gb. Yeah, gonna get an sd card. Thanks :)

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
LoL I didn't know there was a memory slot, didn't need to think about it since I switched from a 128gb phone to this 256gb. Yeah, gonna get an sd card. Thanks :)
Yeah once you get use to it, you'll demand it.
All my PCs and laptops are dual drive. It saves a lot of time, pain and boosts performance.

I can do a full reload on my Note 10+ in about 2 hrs and have it back to about 99% fully operational with no internet connection.
Without the card it becomes a gruelling 8+ hour process including having to load over 240 gb of data.

Backup everything now as once an Android OS starts exhibiting instability it's one boot away from a boot loop☠
They are very rare but that's how they start many times🤣

vdamir78

Jan 15, 2018
Alright, I have just done one more thing: I completely disabled Nova Launcher (stopped using it anyways after I bought this N20U). If that doesn't help, I am proceeding with the reset.

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Alright, I have just done one more thing: I completely disabled Nova Launcher (stopped using it anyways after I bought this N20U). If that doesn't help, I am proceeding with the reset.
The Samsung launcher is better anyway, rock solid stable, fast with little battery usage.
Clear the system cache.

A 3rd party launcher can definitely crash a Samsung. One boot looped my Note 10+ twice, back to back over a year ago. I was seeing red.
Still running on the OS from that 2nd reset... still fast and stable less the 3rd party launcher🤣

fizzingbees

Feb 12, 2014
Peshawar
No essential app in deep sleeping apps.

Boot to safe mode and see if the problem persist, otherwise it's one of your apps responsible for this anomaly.

Copy entire internal drive data to SD card it flash drive via otg adapter

Use smart switch to backup Samsung notes.

Use swift backup or alpha backup app for contacts logs, messages and apps ( external data not saved fully on non-root devices)

Backup whatsapp on Google drive.

Afterwards, either flash factory firmware via odin to completely remove all traces of bugs ( recommended, use csc instead of home csc to wipe internal storage and all data)

Or factory reset from settings.

Then boot to recovery and wipe internal storage +factory reset again.. Its a bit extra but would eliminate any software related issues.

Report with update

fizzingbees

Feb 12, 2014
Peshawar
The Samsung launcher is better anyway, rock solid stable, fast with little battery usage.
Clear the system cache.

A 3rd party launcher can definitely crash a Samsung. One boot looped my Note 10+ twice, back to back over a year ago. I was seeing red.
Still running on the OS from that 2nd reset... still fast and stable less the 3rd party launcher🤣
I have seen this issue with good lock app on my note 4.. Uninstalling it caused system ui to crash repeatedly making phone unusable

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
I have seen this issue with good lock app on my note 4.. Uninstalling it caused system ui to crash repeatedly making phone unusable
Wonder if it was the Lockstar module?
I never use any apps like that... once bitten, twice shy🤣 Other than it's goofy lame main page Good Lock gives me zero issues.

It wasn't Nova that boot looped the 2 OSs🤗
It was slower and used more battery though then One UI... Samsung has made big improvements to their native launcher. The most customizable stock Android platform in existence too. It runs very well, uses very little power and is rock solid stable at least on my Note 10+/Pie variant. It has never crashed.

fizzingbees

Feb 12, 2014
Peshawar
Wonder if it was the Lockstar module?
I never use any apps like that... once bitten, twice shy🤣 Other than it's goofy lame main page Good Lock gives me zero issues.

It wasn't Nova that boot looped the 2 OSs🤗
It was slower and used more battery though then One UI... Samsung has made big improvements to their native launcher. The most customizable stock Android platform in existence too. It runs very well, uses very little power and is rock solid stable at least on my Note 10+/Pie variant. It has never crashed.
Actually it was 2017 version of Samsung good lock app that changed the lockscreen and quick panel.

Not like the modules now.

vdamir78

Jan 15, 2018
Update:
I decided to go for a samsung microsd, but I had to order a 256gb on ebay. So while I am waiting for it, I disabled good lock (nicelock to be precise) and I completely uninstalled Nova launcher.
No glitches since then.

Reactions: blackhawk

vdamir78

Jan 15, 2018
Update:
After going back & forth with sd card purchase for my phone, I finally got a 256gb sd card that is the same size as my note20ultra's internal memory. So I was thinking, is it possible to completely mirror the phone's storage to sd card, and after I factory reset the phone, to copy that mirror back to the phone.
I used to do this with some PCs at my work a long time ago, using some sort of "ghost software"... so anyways, my sd card is capable to take every single data from the phone, what is my best backup/restore option to go for after a factory reset?

(Btw, the problem that I described in the opening post still persists, however it has become less frequent, like 50% less of a "hiccup" than it used to be)

jsusang

Jun 10, 2020
(Btw, the problem that I described in the opening post still persists, however it has become less frequent, like 50% less of a "hiccup" than it used to be)

Which OS and Samsung UI are installed on your N20U?

Are any applications listed in your Care report "Application history" in the Samsung Battery and device care section?

I had major "issues" with the System UI crashing after updating to Android 11/One UI 3.0 until the bugs were fixed with an update.

Surely hope you find a fix and do not have to factory reset your phone.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Update:
After going back & forth with sd card purchase for my phone, I finally got a 256gb sd card that is the same size as my note20ultra's internal memory. So I was thinking, is it possible to completely mirror the phone's storage to sd card, and after I factory reset the phone, to copy that mirror back to the phone.
I used to do this with some PCs at my work a long time ago, using some sort of "ghost software"... so anyways, my sd card is capable to take every single data from the phone, what is my best backup/restore option to go for after a factory reset?

I don't know of any app that can mirror Android drives real time. That not to say there isn't.
You would definitely take a performance hit if you could do it.
Like I said before the best solution is to use the SD card as the data drive. Just make sure to backup it up redundantly.

The lag your describing is bothersome. Track it down. It may be malware.
Clear system cache and do a hard reboot.
Do a network reset and clear the sim card tool kit data. Toggle Developer options off to clear it's settings... you can reenable then.
Disable all animations.
Is it still there?

Does it happen in safe mode?
If a 3rd party app is the cause either correct it or uninstall the app.
If you can't resolve the issue consider it malware and do a factory reset.
See if it's there after the reset before loading apps. If still present reflash the firmware.

If still present it may be a hardware issue.
This phone should be rocket fast with no lag.
There's near zero lag on my 10+ which has a slower memory and CPU.

vdamir78

Jan 15, 2018
I don't know of any app that can mirror Android drives real time. That not to say there isn't.
You would definitely take a performance hit if you could do it.
Like I said before the best solution is to use the SD card as the data drive. Just make sure to backup it up redundantly.

The lag your describing is bothersome. Track it down. It may be malware.
Clear system cache and do a hard reboot.
Do a network reset and clear the sim card tool kit data. Toggle Developer options off to clear it's settings... you can reenable then.
Disable all animations.
Is it still there?

Does it happen in safe mode?
If a 3rd party app is the cause either correct it or uninstall the app.
If you can't resolve the issue consider it malware and do a factory reset.
See if it's there after the reset before loading apps. If still present reflash the firmware.

If still present it may be a hardware issue.
This phone should be rocket fast with no lag.
There's near zero lag on my 10+ which has a slower memory and CPU.
The problem is that it is so random. I could not pinpoint any app to relate to it. I unistalled some apps in the meantime, but it still persists (less frequent). If I restarted in safe mode I would probably have to keep the phone in safe mode for at least 3 days to be sure.
Is there a malware detecting antivirus for android that works efficiently?

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
The problem is that it is so random. I could not pinpoint any app to relate to it. I unistalled some apps in the meantime, but it still persists (less frequent). If I restarted in safe mode I would probably have to keep the phone in safe mode for at least 3 days to be sure.
Is there a malware detecting antivirus for android that works efficiently?
Reload time if the steps I mentioned don't work or if you did a major firmware upgrade without a factory reset.
Malwarebytes is good but there are always new undetectable infections floating around.
With odd behavior that cause can't be determined a virus or rootkit is a real possibility. They are very rare if you're careful but can happen.

I caught a trojan preloader on my 10+ about a year ago in the download folder with Malwarebytes. Fortunately I found/deleted it before it could download it's payload package and install it. It self downloaded through the Samsung browser... a nasty little bugger.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update:
    I decided to go for a samsung microsd, but I had to order a 256gb on ebay. So while I am waiting for it, I disabled good lock (nicelock to be precise) and I completely uninstalled Nova launcher.
    No glitches since then.