• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Not giving choice of "Just Once" and "Always"

Search This thread

IMHERETOSTAY

Dec 22, 2010
As the title said, the phone doesn't give me the choice of always or just once, there's only a menu and I can click the app that automatically becomes the "default" app... It sucks as I need to save a pdf from Outlook to One Drive to then open it in write pdf but it won't since one drive is the default app and I don't get the choice...

How do I fix that??

XooLoo

Jun 15, 2012
As the title said, the phone doesn't give me the choice of always or just once, there's only a menu and I can click the app that automatically becomes the "default" app... It sucks as I need to save a pdf from Outlook to One Drive to then open it in write pdf but it won't since one drive is the default app and I don't get the choice...

How do I fix that??

I may be wrong here, but this may be a feature of Lolipop. In other words, we're not given the choice each time like its previous iterations...

atsitalian

Feb 13, 2007
I hate this "feature" depending on what I am doing I always want to use different apps to open files. Come on Samsung (or Google) fix this. I think it is Samsung as I had a G4 and had the option on my G4

polish_pat

Nov 30, 2011
Montreal
On the S6 it gives you a option so it's not a lollipop issue, it's just the Note 5

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I got the 5.1.1 s6 edge update just this morning and it didnt give me a choice, just chose a permanent option just like on note 5 that i got this afternoon. You can always reset defaults, but once you open a link in an app with a specific app, dont you want to keep that choice for the future? I don't mind the change

dr_witty2007

Oct 2, 2015
The problem in note 5 . I have note 4 with lollipop 5.1.1 and has no problem
I hate the disappearance of (just once and always) option that i used frequently, hope to fix it in next update

Lambetts

Nov 7, 2007
You can go into default apps and clear it. Then choose your app when you open that file. Or, use ES File Explorer to open as. There's no problem with the phone. There cut out unnecessary crap, which I think is better. That screen would always come up and piss people off. Haha.

Hezzennater

Jan 7, 2014
The problem in note 5 . I have note 4 with lollipop 5.1.1 and has no problem
I hate the disappearance of (just once and always) option that i used frequently, hope to fix it in next update

Yeah, this annoyed me too. Certain things you want options for. Like wallpapers, ringtones, ECT. Someone in another thread mentioned "better open with" app. Works well

Sent from my SM-N920V using XDA Free mobile app

Zedx78

Oct 24, 2015
Samsung it's so wrong!

How do I fix that??

There's no fix for this, at least for now, I talked with Samsung Customer support they did like that to "please their customers" (I don't understand); it's not a lollipop issue, other models like core prime and others with 5.1.1 still ask always or just once, it's really frustrating, but even more frustrating is to find people out there that is happy with this change, ''unnecessary crap'' they call it, since they do not know how to use their phones looks like they want everybody else to suffer, it's so simple if you do not like it! just click ALWAYS and leave the rest of the people that use their phones for more than just calls, chat and listen to music to keep using our amazing JUST ONCE and let us be happy!!!!, what else we will have to take from Samsung?
NO SD CARD SWAP
NO WATER PROOF
NO BATTERY SWAP
COPYCAT DESIGN
EAR PHONES PLUG AT THE BOTTOM
AND NOW THEY TOOK OUR OPTION TO CHOOSE!!!!
this company it's going backwards or what?

Last edited:
Reactions: Frieth and pcriz

metalogic

Oct 5, 2015
this happened on my note 4 as well with 5.1.1.
the change was completely unnecessary, as people could just click "always" if they wanted. why remove the option?
but for those of us who open diff links in diff apps depending on the context. we are screwed?

has anyone found a fix?

Reactions: Frieth and pcriz

Zedlavx

Nov 20, 2015
Don't be selfish

---------- Post added at 04:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

[/COLOR]
You can go into default apps and clear it. Then choose your app when you open that file. Or, use ES File Explorer to open as. There's no problem with the phone. There cut out unnecessary crap, which I think is better. That screen would always come up and piss people off. Haha.

Don't call unnecessary crap to such a smart option just because you only use your cellphone just for chat and Facebook navigation, it's very simple, it's just two options and by simply clicking ALWAYS!!! you can be happy! and leave the rest of us, those who really use our cellphones as smart devices enjoy our freedom to CHOSE!!! and let us be happy with our choice that we miss so much ''JUST ONCE''.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frieth and Zedx78

Magicman500

Jul 15, 2013
There's no fix for this, at least for now, I talked with Samsung Customer support they did like that to "please their customers" (I don't understand); it's not a lollipop issue, other models like core prime and others with 5.1.1 still ask always or just once, it's really frustrating, but even more frustrating is to find people out there that is happy with this change, ''unnecessary crap'' they call it, since they do not know how to use their phones looks like they want everybody else to suffer, it's so simple if you do not like it! just click ALWAYS and leave the rest of the people that use their phones for more than just calls, chat and listen to music to keep using our amazing JUST ONCE and let us be happy!!!!, what else we will have to take from Samsung?
NO SD CARD SWAP
NO WATER PROOF
NO BATTERY SWAP
COPYCAT DESIGN

If you hate the phone so much, why did you buy it? Relax man, it is what it is. You yelling here isn't going to change anything.

Zedx78

Oct 24, 2015
Open to real solutions

Exactly... Sell it on swappa and move on if you hate it so much...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

You shouldn't give useless advises, I would if I could, first I have to wait up to 6 months for another swap and second I can't sell it for the price that I paid for the phone which it's dropping very quickly.

Luckily it's not all over and this app will fill the emptiness in the heart of those who miss the liberty of CHOOSING, the app "Better Open With" will make your life easier, it worked for me and don't ask for any information.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frieth

Gam3r 4 Life

Mar 5, 2011
Napa, California
Kinda fixed it by using Better Open With from the play store...

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using XDA Free mobile app

Thanks for this app. Just noticed this same issue on my S7 and sometimes I use different browsers for search. So having to go in and clear out the default each time wouldnt have been cool. I like how the app has a countdown and pause as well. Great suggestion.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Kinda fixed it by using Better Open With from the play store...

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using XDA Free mobile app
    Hello every body. I was actually facing the same problem problem with "just once" and "always problem but managed to find a fix.

Here is how:
    Before starting wanna let u guys know I tried it on note7 port on my s5 g900h 6.0 but it must be the same for most new android versions.
    First of all go to:
    setting
    Applications
    Default application
    Then click on default applications selction and choose Ask before setting default apps.
    Here u r
    Now whenever you want to open an application it will give you the choice of just once and always
    ?
    If this method worked for you hit the thanks button ?
    Samsung it's so wrong!

How do I fix that??

NO SD CARD SWAP
    NO WATER PROOF
    NO BATTERY SWAP
    COPYCAT DESIGN
    this happened on my note 4 as well with 5.1.1.
    the change was completely unnecessary, as people could just click "always" if they wanted. why remove the option?
    but for those of us who open diff links in diff apps depending on the context. we are screwed?

has anyone found a fix?
    Don't be selfish

---------- Post added at 04:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

[/COLOR]

Don't call unnecessary crap to such a smart option just because you only use your cellphone just for chat and Facebook navigation, it's very simple, it's just two options and by simply clicking ALWAYS!!! you can be happy! and leave the rest of us, those who really use our cellphones as smart devices enjoy our freedom to CHOSE!!! and let us be happy with our choice that we miss so much ''JUST ONCE''.