Not Much Development

Search This thread

Chopstix9

May 28, 2011
Monroe, MI
I was considering this for my next phone but it seems like there isn't a heck of a lot out there for it in the way of ROMS. Looks like most of the major devs are staying away from it? Is there a problem unlocking/rooting it or what's up with that? Your takes on the phone?

riker147

Jul 11, 2011
I was considering this for my next phone but it seems like there isn't a heck of a lot out there for it in the way of ROMS. Looks like most of the major devs are staying away from it? Is there a problem unlocking/rooting it or what's up with that? Your takes on the phone?

Yeah.....as of right now, if you don't have an MDK build you're kind of screwed. The phone is pretty locked down.

R

richii0207

If you haven't noticed, the number of original roms have dropped drastically each new phone like OG droid-> DX/D2 -> tbolt -> rezound / s3 -> s4/motox/one.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

decaturbob

Mar 30, 2011
Decatur

S4 is still the best phone out on the market....and even those of us that don't have a MDK version can still run custom ROMS, though limited. I kept my tbolt for almost 3 yrs before I got the S4 last fall and I couldn't find a MDK version so I settle with what was available and hashcode worked his miracle in giving us safestrap.

My battery can go almost 48hrs between charges with moderate use, completely unbelievable. I have 3 roms on my phone that I can switch between in minutes because of safestrap.

Batttie

Sep 14, 2011
It's the way of the future, especially if your on Verizon there isn't many new phones that have huge development like in the past. But there's the xposed modules that are widely developed, so I think things are just shifting... why rebuild entire rooms when whe can just fix the broken pieces individually.. It's a decent enough phone, root does a lot. if flashing is that important best to stay with a legacy phone!

Reactions: decaturbob

todd92578

Oct 31, 2013
sioux falls
There are MDK s4's out there for sale.

I just want to inform everyone that if you want a MDK s4 you have to get the brown one. My mom and I went to best buy mobile in the mall a 2 months ago, after talking her into dropping that stupid iPhone. She got the the brown s4 and came with MDK. Now 2 months later I decided to get my daughter one since they are free with no activation fee for this weekend. Well to test the theory I had that brown is probably the most unpopular color it should have the MDK version and it did so I gave my daughter the black one that came with ME7 when I bought it.And of course kept the brown one so go get the Brown ones folks! I promise it will come with MDK. Oh and you have every right to check the phone out before the sale is final. If it's not mdk say nevermind or get the next best phone that you know has an exploit. I am finally flashing again my addiction is so satisfied now. I'm running cyanogenmod 11 and loving it! I like Beanstalk too.

Last edited:

kirch21

Feb 2, 2009
be cautious

if your a crack flasher stay away.. maybe try an LGG2... that being said if you just want a stable phone GS4 is fine. Hyperdrive is a great go to rom, or the possibilities are really endless with just root + xsposed

todd92578

Oct 31, 2013
sioux falls
if your a crack flasher stay away.. maybe try an LGG2... that being said if you just want a stable phone GS4 is fine. Hyperdrive is a great go to rom, or the possibilities are really endless with just root + xsposed
Yeah I'm not so much addicted but it's really fun flashing different roms to see which one suits me best. Hyperdrive and touchwiz isn't for me. I like seeing whats out there other than safestrap with only one rom flashable "HD" and touchwiz.. I prefer having clocking and volting capabilities I have the s4 because it's the best phone IMO. And your right the G2 is a nice phone indeed.. But I see soo many people in these forums wishing they had MDK S4. Or mad that they accidently updated their MDK s4's I'm just letting every one know that in a 2 month period I have bought 2 Brown Verizon S4's and walked out with the MDK version. And you will too.

Reactions: kirch21

jwhistler

Aug 23, 2010

Phone is locked down. Not only that, it comes pre-loaded with an incredible array of crapware: both from Samsung and Verizon. It'll make your S4 run like my old HTC Hero. (Well, that is an exaggeration, but you get the idea. That crapware does negatively impact performance.)

My next phone will almost certainly be a Nexus.

joshm.1219

May 7, 2013
Philadelphia
Yeah I'm not so much addicted but it's really fun flashing different roms to see which one suits me best. Hyperdrive and touchwiz isn't for me. I like seeing whats out there other than safestrap with only one rom flashable "HD" and touchwiz.. I prefer having clocking and volting capabilities I have the s4 because it's the best phone IMO. And your right the G2 is a nice phone indeed.. But I see soo many people in these forums wishing they had MDK S4. Or mad that they accidently updated their MDK s4's I'm just letting every one know that in a 2 month period I have bought 2 Brown Verizon S4's and walked out with the MDK version. And you will too.

My cousin just got the brown it was on mi1

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

todd92578

Oct 31, 2013
sioux falls
My cousin just got the brown it was on mi1

Maybe it depends where you get it from I got mine from a bestbuy mobile in a mall with a verizon store just 100 feet from it. so people will just go to verizon to get it. maybe factor in things like that. Like walmart might have them on the MDK. Order one from the best buy mobile in the empire mall sioux falls SD. Idk you can't buy them from places that have alot of traffic I'd think. maybe I'm wrong but I know brown is not the popular color. 2 months apart I got 2 MDK phones Brown. Sorry to here that though.

Chopstix9

May 28, 2011
Monroe, MI
I'm not I guess what U would call a crack flasher ... I've been with my GNex since the week it hit the market. I like finding a nice stable ROM with some customizations I like and I stick with it... When I got my GNex, I ran Gummy up until they dis-banded for some time instead of trying to re-write their entire build when Jelly Bean came out. I switched to XenonHD then and ran that up and through 4.3 releases. They were slow coming out with a 4.4 build so I am running Liquid KK which is adequate. I am grandfathered into the old unlimited data plan, I get 17+ down and 8 on the upstream on the phone here, so I run the house off the phones, got rid of cable net long ago. So tethering is important to me, then just a few other things like customizabe status bar/tiles and navbar. Other than that I don't have a lot of other use for elaborate features in a ROM. Nice n clean n smooth is all. May be switching to a different phone and poking around to see what's out there is all ...

Chopstix9

May 28, 2011
Monroe, MI
Phone is locked down. Not only that, it comes pre-loaded with an incredible array of crapware: both from Samsung and Verizon. It'll make your S4 run like my old HTC Hero. (Well, that is an exaggeration, but you get the idea. That crapware does negatively impact performance.)

My next phone will almost certainly be a Nexus.

Crapware isn't an issue, just freeze it with TiBU

tech_head

Nov 22, 2007
California
I'm not I guess what U would call a crack flasher ... I've been with my GNex since the week it hit the market. I like finding a nice stable ROM with some customizations I like and I stick with it... When I got my GNex, I ran Gummy up until they dis-banded for some time instead of trying to re-write their entire build when Jelly Bean came out. I switched to XenonHD then and ran that up and through 4.3 releases. They were slow coming out with a 4.4 build so I am running Liquid KK which is adequate. I am grandfathered into the old unlimited data plan, I get 17+ down and 8 on the upstream on the phone here, so I run the house off the phones, got rid of cable net long ago. So tethering is important to me, then just a few other things like customizabe status bar/tiles and navbar. Other than that I don't have a lot of other use for elaborate features in a ROM. Nice n clean n smooth is all. May be switching to a different phone and poking around to see what's out there is all ...

If that's all you need.
Update to MK2, then root.
Install Xposed, then Wanam.
Saferoot -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2565758
Google Wallet Patch -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2454971
GS4 Tether Unlock -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2512981

Eric214

Oct 24, 2012
Philly
I'm putting my S4 up on swappa in the next 24 hours. MDK FW, FLAWLESS screen and body 2 original chargers, 2 Spigen cases and MIME Ghost glass installed with original box, and never used original headphones. So if interested just keep en eye out for it,

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
You guys should check our BeanStalk 4.4 for the s4
Awesome ROM really smooth. I know in getting into the mdk game a little late but .. Worth checking out

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

I'm putting my S4 up on swappa in the next 24 hours. MDK FW, FLAWLESS screen and body 2 original chargers, 2 Spigen cases and MIME Ghost glass installed with original box, and never used original headphones. So if interested just keep en eye out for it,

You won't have a problem getting rid of that

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's the way of the future, especially if your on Verizon there isn't many new phones that have huge development like in the past. But there's the xposed modules that are widely developed, so I think things are just shifting... why rebuild entire rooms when whe can just fix the broken pieces individually.. It's a decent enough phone, root does a lot. if flashing is that important best to stay with a legacy phone!

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone