Note 20 ultra black screen of death

Search This thread

Raid3n__pt

Nov 2, 2021
Hello all,

My 1 year old note 20 ultra bougth on wondamobile because it was cheaper that in my country and had the snapdragon version.
Just got this HUGE problem, i was watching a youtube video and the screen just got black all of a sudden, and for 2 days never lit up again.

I live in Europe and Samsung says they wont cover the warranty of it as it wasnt purchased in Europe.
This is completely ridiculous, the phone costed 1300 euros, top of the line.

And now all of the sudden just dies.

I have tried all the methods online and none of them works, conecting a hdmi usb c cable to the screen, the iphone conects but i can only see the hours and a lock, cant unlock the phone, even tried with a mouse and keyboard using a usb c hub and nothing works.

Anyone knows a real fix for this?
as a new screen is 400 € and i dont want to pay this value.

This never happened specialy with a high end phone.

• Sad
Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
The N20U has had some display issues... Sorry.
Likely the display, could be a connector, battery or mobo failure.
See if you have legal recourse, otherwise lean all over Samsung like a cheap suit.
In the end you may need to do it out of pocket.

Last drama free rollout from Samsung was the N10+Snapdragon (new ones still available for $800). I got a second one because of Samsung's and Android 11/12's lack luster performance.
Some don't think it's that bad...
I sure do, which why I stepped back and rejected 5G, variable rate displays, no flagships SD card slots and one of the most dysfunctional Android OS's ever released.
I'm in a holding pattern running on P and Q until the fallout settles. Minimum 1-2 years perhaps longer.

Raid3n__pt

Nov 2, 2021
This problem also happens in the note 10, s20 and others.

The biggest issue is that its a phone from South Korea and im In Europe so the warranty isnt valid.

Was so happy with it until now. Its not the 5g, neither the Android version.
According to what i read this issue is caused due to the one ui 3.1 update.
Because if it was a screen problem the touch wouldnt even respond to touches and it does respond.
Battery was at 81 percent went this happened, and the mobo for sure is good as i can conect the phone to screen and see it like Dex problem is the phone is locked so i cant unlock it even using this option.
And once again as the screen is locked it isnt recognized by usb so no program will work to get the data out of it or try any solution using dex.

As its a version bougth in Sk when i called the assistence they say they cant even do nothing because they only get parts for European phones and that parts are diferent, but the screens must be the same in both versions what differs is the mobo.

This is giving me headaches

Raid3n__pt

Nov 2, 2021
The phone was working fine.
Until with the last updates the wi fi got inconsistent and i have the best and fastrst internet in my country.

Also as in this image shows the phone does work , problem is i cant unlock it. If i could probably could reset the software.

As the screen only had a minor scratch, so it was never damaged.

Now a 1300 euros phone is just a paper weigth

Attachments

• 20211103_031437.jpg
    20211103_031437.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 46

Raid3n__pt

Nov 2, 2021
I tried it all.

Would be easy if it worked via usb or via dex.

But its stuck in it.

This is a Samsung problem on the latest phones.

Raid3n__pt

Nov 2, 2021
It wont shut down. Its like this for 2 days 😂

Removing the battery will be dificult also.
Yeah its going to cost 400 euros for a phone npw worth near 900 or less altough its unlocked.
Will never buy a flagship again.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
You don't need to remove the battery, just disconnect it. Watch a tear down vid.
You need a heat gun or pad, anhydrous isopropyl alcohol to help break the rear cover adhesive, plastic picks and perhaps some drivers maybe not. A new OEM rear cover seal.

A good phone repair shop can easily do this for you. Start there and see what you got.
The QC was solid on the N10+ Snapdragon but less so after especially on the S21U.
If the display needs to be replaced that should be the end of your problems with it.
Not perfect but what are you gonna do?

With Samsung, all phones it's best to wait 6 months and see what crops up. Otherwise it's more of a gamble.

Raid3n__pt

Nov 2, 2021
I was indeed going to buy the note 10 plus back then but then i saw the n20 and all the advertisement and let myself into the hype.

Even bougth first a oneplus 8 pro but it got stolen in spain and i was refunded

Well going to try for one more day and see if it comes back to life,wich seems like a dream rigth now.

In last case will try a techician but its going to be expensive as this is a korean phone in europe🤣🤣🤣.

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
I was indeed going to buy the note 10 plus back then but then i saw the n20 and all the advertisement and let myself into the hype.

Well going to try for one more day and see if it comes back to life,wich seems like a dream rigth now.

In last case will try a techician but its going to be expensive as this is a korean phone in europe🤣🤣🤣.
May not be as bad as you think.
Shop around. Getting the right replacement parts is critical. I know on the 10+ the C port pcb, cam module, and obviously the mobo are different and not interchangeable, not sure about the display!

Lol, found out the hard way with the C port pcb, there are 2 variants for the Snapdragon! My C port wasn't bad but was replacing the battery so decided to do the C port for $20 more. No cell service, no internet... put the original one in, back in service. Rather irritating🤣
Ricky tricky Sammy...

kradcliffe

Sep 28, 2010
Aberdeen
This seems to be a design fault so Wonda should honour a repair or replacement. I would pursue it with them.

I also have a N20U SD HK version bought from them but it's only 6 months old.

I take it their warranty is just one year then?

Raid3n__pt

Nov 2, 2021
Yes its only one year. And i bougth last october
And the problem is that i live in europe, wonda mobile is from china.
I dont know if its a design flaw or update problem as the phone magicaly started to work witouth the screen theme i had but i puted it down and the screen once again went off.

Raid3n__pt

Nov 2, 2021
The phone was working back again for 10 minutes and black out again.
So the screwn migth be good.
I got a message saying the one ui stoped working when i used dex.

Dex mode with a usb c hub now works, but i cant put the phone back to stock while in dex.

Its in portuguese language but what it says in the message is that a one ui error happened.
This after the screen black out again.

In dex i cant put firmware back to stock but can update the firmware.

This is just stupid a 1300 phone with a faulty screen or software problem.

Cant figure it out. As the touch isnt working while is conected to dex, only worked using a mouse and keyboard.

But the touch worked when the screen went back on even for 10 minutes.

So if it works on dex it cant be mobo or battery.

If its the screen i will be 400 euros in pain.

Who would guess this n20 purchsee on wonda mobile would be a nigthmare

Attachments

• 20211103_175020.jpg
    20211103_175020.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 28
  • 20211103_175731.jpg
    20211103_175731.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
  • 20211103_180435.jpg
    20211103_180435.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
  • 20211103_175521.jpg
    20211103_175521.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30

Raid3n__pt

Nov 2, 2021
Likely a hardware issue...
But how if it works in dex mode, everything works in dex mode, internet, cameras as well, games open, so the mobo cant be bad.

Guess the crap screen is gone for once, as it was only on for 10 minutes. Or maybe something disconected as i droped like 2 or 3 weeks ago but that cant be checked witouth opening.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
But how if it works in dex mode, everything works in dex mode, internet, cameras as well, games open, so the mobo cant be bad.

Guess the crap screen is gone for once, as it was only on for 10 minutes. Or maybe something disconected as i droped like 2 or 3 weeks ago but that cant be checked witouth opening.
When I said hardware I was implying the display.
It still could be a loose/bad connector as well.
The mobo's not entirely ruled out yet but a less likely candidate.

Raid3n__pt

Nov 2, 2021
For sure it seems the display is gone.

Samsung would replace the screen if it was bougth in Europe amd the screen had no damage.

Mine has a minor scratch and a very small mark due to a drop.

Anyway seems there wont be any fix, as the crap screen only worked for 10 minutes so no hope for it to be back on again

Samsung never again

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This seems to have happened to a lot of other people too, and some of them have said the display has come back on.

Samsung need to get a grip and offer some advice to affected cusomers.