Note 20 Ultra eSIM update is here!! (T-mobile USA)

Search This thread

VICosPhi

Aug 2, 2010
Phoenix
I suppose if I flash build N986USQU2DUC8 using modded odin, I'd be able to access the
e-sim/dual sim feature by effectively morphing my factory unlocked handset (SM-N986U1) into the carrier-bound equivalent (SM-N986U).
I have to admit, I might give this a shot as I stand to gain something here, not necessarily lose! Sure, I'll pick-up a little carrier bloat, maybe a half-a-dozen apps in the switch, but that's it!?
It's a bold move, but a smart one, for T-mobile! When you pair that one with their recent commitment to Google for integrating the Google Messages app into their (Android-based)) system app line-up for new device offerings. They recognize the value of the upgrade to RCS messaging and what comes with that, for existing and new tmobile customers alike.
Sure, It'd be easier if this e-sim/dual sim feature was included in the SM-N986U1 OTA March Security Patch Update for the unlocked users, but their heart is in the right place and with their core users (SM-N986U) I suppose?

(I'm gonna give it a shot over the weekend...I'll be back!)🤔

It will work. I have done the same with my unlocked U1 :) This update made this phone the best phone out there and I have S21 ultra which is my backup phone lol

Reactions: evnStevn

evnStevn

• Feb 21, 2015
    Inverness
    Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
    You still rocking 5G on da beast, after changing it's orientation? smh/lol
    feeling large & in-charge 2-nite!🥳
    Hey bruh, seriously it may sound dumb, but I ain't been doing nothing with Odin since SM-N960U1 days but you know the old-skool rule of thumb to use your OEM issued usb interface, but our new boyz have the usb-c at both ends and all, so one of my hostages from a previous life the "normal" USB at one end, and usb-c at the other end will be right and tight, YES?!
    PLS Holla bak youngun?🤔

evnStevn

• Feb 21, 2015
    Inverness
    Will unlocked version of Note 20 Ultra get this update with eSim support on Tmobile?
    Probably...maybe eventually, but not til there's more of it out there meaning alot more wireless carrier support of it!
    It's a bold move for my tmob, but soon we'll get the RCS messaging thru google's messages app w/tmob...that sh#*s tight!!
    (my bad, Mod's....again, my bad)!🤢

warriorvibhu

Inactive Recognized Developer
    Aug 28, 2007
    Somewhere Amazing
    Will we lose data by converting from U1 to TMOB U firmware?

Yep... so backup your stuff.
    Well this has to be verified, I have converted U to U1 and vice versa without losing data because i used Home_CSC. The new ones are bootloader 2, but this should still be valid. If you use Home_CSC you wont lose data. Feel free to correct me if there is any information i may have missed.

evnStevn

• Feb 21, 2015
    Inverness
    Well this has to be verified, I have converted U to U1 and vice versa without losing data because i used Home_CSC. The new ones are bootloader 2, but this should still be valid. If you use Home_CSC you wont lose data. Feel free to correct me if there is any information i may have missed.
    I tried this past Sunday to flash the tmob "U" firmware to check out the eSim feature for myself, and got shutdown in the process with the new bootloader Menu that pops up when you're hooked up to Odin and ready to flash...that's as far as I got, and I've looked everywhere on the web for advice on which selection to make on this new bootloader Menu screen!! So, I'll just have to wait it out and see if the eSim feature (and more to come I'm sure) will be made available for us SM-N986UI users?!🤔

(as true, historically, with most of these add-ons, "later" will be the result as opposed to "sooner" for the factory unlocked variant).

Last edited:

eelpout

Aug 19, 2007
    Will unlocked version of Note 20 Ultra get this update with eSim support on Tmobile?
    Probably...maybe eventually, but not til there's more of it out there meaning alot more wireless carrier support of it!
    It's a bold move for my tmob,
    if I'm not mistaken (and I certainly could be), the US unlocked variant firmware is the basis for AT&T and Verizon's as well. So I wonder if they have to buy into eSIM first. If so, I'm not optimistic. :(

evnStevn

• Feb 21, 2015
    Inverness
    if I'm not mistaken (and I certainly could be), the US unlocked variant firmware is the basis for AT&T and Verizon's as well. So I wonder if they have to buy into eSIM first. If so, I'm not optimistic. :(
    Yes, when updating the o/s for their handsets, samsung only releases one (1) build for the factory unlocked variant
    (SM-N986U1) regardless of carrier affiliation, which includes all carriers that offer/accept this model on their network. As I'm certain you know, there are several you didn't mention as they weren't needed to make your very good point!
    I was just pondering, and welcome any feedback (or kickback), but are folks still paying extra for these unlocked flagship variants (like back in the day) where samsung added a line item upcharge of $100 to their invoice? Just curious, & would be good to know...🤔

dadmi

Sep 15, 2012
    I used Home_CSC and it didn't work, Sim Card Manager was not present. Had to do start fresh.

tx_dbs_tx

Jan 19, 2009
    Texas, USA
    I tried this past Sunday to flash the tmob "U" firmware to check out the eSim feature for myself, and got shutdown in the process with the new bootloader Menu that pops up when you're hooked up to Odin and ready to flash...that's as far as I got, and I've looked everywhere on the web for advice on which selection to make on this new bootloader Menu screen!! So, I'll just have to wait it out and see if the eSim feature (and more to come I'm sure) will be made available for us SM-N986UI users?!🤔

(as true, historically, with most of these add-ons, "later" will be the result as opposed to "sooner" for the factory unlocked variant).
    Hey you need to do a factory reset first then remove your sim card from the phone. Download the latest T-Mobile firmware using Frija's windows application and use "TMB" for carrier code. Launch patched Odin (v3.13.1_3B_PatcheD). With the phone powered off, hold down volume up and vol down simultaneously as you connect the USB cable and it will automatically open your bootloader. Simply press volume up to connect and Odin will see your device. Flash all of the firmware parts and use the regular CSC, NOT csc home. It will flash successfully. Sorry if I covered things you already know but this is how I do it and it works. The thing to know is that you MUST remove your sim card when flashing to and from U/U1 firmware or else it will fail. Good luck.

Hey you need to do a factory reset first then remove your sim card from the phone. Download the latest T-Mobile firmware using Frija's windows application and use "TMB" for carrier code. Launch patched Odin (v3.13.1_3B_PatcheD). With the phone powered off, hold down volume up and vol down simultaneously as you connect the USB cable and it will automatically open your bootloader. Simply press volume up to connect and Odin will see your device. Flash all of the firmware parts and use the regular CSC, NOT csc home. It will flash successfully. Sorry if I covered things you already know but this is how I do it and it works. The thing to know is that you MUST remove your sim card when flashing to and from U/U1 firmware or else it will fail. Good luck.
    Thanks for the update. Yet to try it. However assuming you have done so, was the E-sim feature activated on the U1?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Guys,

FINALLY!!! Woohoo! We have eSIM support on Note 20 Ultra US Snapdragon version for T-mobile. There is an OTA you can download and then convert your physical SIM to eSIM :)
      What update? tell us more.
      It was just released today along with April 's security patch.

Good to have you here :)
      Yes, would have been nice but updates have been coming out regularly of late so hopefully this was just one off.
      Thanks, I've been here since the HTC HD2 days, which was the first first phone I ever did anything with which was to be able to dual boot Windows Phone 7 and Android. Quit rooting stuff a few years ago after my V10 bricked itself while I was watching Netflix and I didn't feel the need to anymore and just don't have the time. The last few years I haven't said much, I've been more of an observer. I still do minor things like use ADB to move or hide the status bar and stuff like that. But pretty much run stock on both my phones.
      I suppose if I flash build N986USQU2DUC8 using modded odin, I'd be able to access the
      e-sim/dual sim feature by effectively morphing my factory unlocked handset (SM-N986U1) into the carrier-bound equivalent (SM-N986U).
      I have to admit, I might give this a shot as I stand to gain something here, not necessarily lose! Sure, I'll pick-up a little carrier bloat, maybe a half-a-dozen apps in the switch, but that's it!?
      It's a bold move, but a smart one, for T-mobile! When you pair that one with their recent commitment to Google for integrating the Google Messages app into their (Android-based)) system app line-up for new device offerings. They recognize the value of the upgrade to RCS messaging and what comes with that, for existing and new tmobile customers alike.
      Sure, It'd be easier if this e-sim/dual sim feature was included in the SM-N986U1 OTA March Security Patch Update for the unlocked users, but their heart is in the right place and with their core users (SM-N986U) I suppose?

(I'm gonna give it a shot over the weekend...I'll be back!)🤔

It will work. I have done the same with my unlocked U1 :) This update made this phone the best phone out there and I have S21 ultra which is my backup phone lol
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone