• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Note 20 Ultra eSIM update is here!! (T-mobile USA)

Search This thread

eng.abdul

May 18, 2021
If you have the One UI 4 Beta (Android 12) , eSim is reportedly enabled on Snapdragon all US variants
Thanks! Great news

Wow that would be a great news. Where did you hear about this?
Search one ui 4.0. The news is allover the place don't know how I missed it. Although looking like the beta for note 20 ultra isn't released yet just s21 series but it's safe to say the same applies to note 20 hopefully it stays on for the stable version.

Also the news is the beta is having some issues that might delay the stable release to late December early January. Let's hope we get it ASAP!

Reactions: warriorvibhu

eng.abdul

May 18, 2021
Im thinking of getting the Ultra/128gb Unlocked. Has anyone had success recently with the flash?
I haven't. But I'm thinking it is maybe due to multiple issues
- I'm abroad not in the US and the location matters once you finish flashing in changing csc
- I don't have a US carrier sim which could also be a factor
- I flashed when my device had a newer firmware and Samsung blocked that process with newer updates.

It's likely the last one to me because I started failing the flash as other users started reporting the same.

Hope someone could confirm becauseif you are buying a new device you can flash prior to updating the device to the latest version

JeffATL

Oct 10, 2009
I haven't. But I'm thinking it is maybe due to multiple issues
- I'm abroad not in the US and the location matters once you finish flashing in changing csc
- I don't have a US carrier sim which could also be a factor
- I flashed when my device had a newer firmware and Samsung blocked that process with newer updates.

It's likely the last one to me because I started failing the flash as other users started reporting the same.

Hope someone could confirm becauseif you are buying a new device you can flash prior to updating the device to the latest version
I'm wondering if flashing it right out of the box can cause it to think it's a T-Mobile model and lock it. I don't think it's possible but wondering say what point in the prod/dist process carrier models get locked. Id probably activate first on visible without updating

eng.abdul

May 18, 2021
I'm wondering if flashing it right out of the box can cause it to think it's a T-Mobile model and lock it. I don't think it's possible but wondering say what point in the prod/dist process carrier models get locked. Id probably activate first on visible without updating
I think they way to do it if you're going to buy it is to update it manually (flash it) to the version detailed in the posts for people who got it to work and then work from there

JeffATL

Oct 10, 2009
Hello,

I can confirm that the above method worked as well :) The model number reads SM-N986U/DS.. Also I T-Mobile hasn't updated to the latest security patch. Sstill at March 1.. The US unlocked SM-N986U1 had the latest May update plus the camera functionality from S21 (Dual video recording)..
I registered just to say thanks and that I FINALLY got this to work coming from a SM-N986U1, XAA Unlocked, from samsung.
It tried this and it failed so many times, or the esim IMEI was greyed out.

Here's how I got it to work.

Backup everything, you are gonna nuke the phone at least twice. Make Sure you are on U1 to start. Use Frija, get XAA CSC (U1) and TMB CSC (U)

as of now that's (U1) N986U1UES2DUC1. Extract it to a folder. Download (U) N986USQU2DUC8, Extract it to a folder.

Backup everything.
Sign out of ALL accounts. You are going to lose it all.
Remove SIM
Factory Data reset. Nuke the device. At startup screen, Reboot, hold down volume down and power and turn it off.
Hold Vol up and down, and plug in USB. Hit Vol up on dim screen to go to download.
Using Odin 3.13B Patched, flash all 4 U1 ( N986U1UES2DUC1 even if you are on U1, do it ): BL,AP, CP, CSC ( NOT HOME_CSC ).

Reboot. If it reboots to the red error screen, just choose reboot.

When you get to setup, power off, hold down volume down and power and turn it off.
Hold Vol up and down, and plug in USB. Hit Vol up on dim screen to go to download.
Using Odin 3.13B Patched, flash all 4 U ( N986USQU2DUC8 ): BL,AP, CP, CSC ( NOT HOME_CSC ).

You should see the Tmobile splash screen. Go through setup don't connect to wifi and just decline as much as possible. You should get a tmobile TOS and Service crap page. If yes, you are good. Finish setup and verify that both IMEI are available.

(optional) Use ADB to clean up some of the crap..

Install SIM, It will do a carrier update.
Restore your data.

Yay.

I registered just to say thanks and that I FINALLY got this to work coming from a SM-N986U1, XAA Unlocked, from samsung.

Backup everything, you are gonna nuke the phone at least twice. Make Sure you are on U1 to start. Use Frija, get XAA CSC (U1) and TMB CSC (U)

as of now that's (U1) N986U1UES2DUC1. Extract it to a folder. Download (U) N986USQU2DUC8, Extract it to a folder.

Backup everything.
Remove SIM
Factory Data reset. Nuke the device. At startup screen, Reboot, hold down volume down and power and turn it off.
Using Odin 3.13B Patched, flash all 4 U1 ( N986U1UES2DUC1 even if you are on U1, do it ): BL,AP, CP, CSC ( NOT HOME_CSC ).

When you get to setup, power off, hold down volume down and power and turn it off.
Using Odin 3.13B Patched, flash all 4 U ( N986USQU2DUC8 ): BL,AP, CP, CSC ( NOT HOME_CSC ).

You should see the Tmobile splash screen. Go through setup don't connect to wifi and just decline as much as possible. You should get a tmobile TOS and Service crap page. If yes, you are good. Finish setup and verify that both IMEI are available.

Restore your data.

Yay.
I am going to try this soon and just want to double check
When I download firmware using Frija, it will download latest version
Was able convert U1 to TMob version yesterday and activated Tmobile esim with no issues. Firmware used was the one linked in the first post.

I am getting a new Note 20 Ultra this week and I just want to double check before I flash:
Aseras mentions to first flash with an old version of U1.

In Frija , I only know how to download the latest ROM - these are the versions:
TMB: N986USQS2DUH4/N986UOYN2DUH4/N986USQS2DUH4
XAA: N986U1UES2DUH3/N986U1OYM2DUH3/N986U1UES2DUH3

I want to eventually use physical sim with Visible and eSim with T-Mobile. Right now I have two physical sims.

So given this is new, out of the box phone , my plan is to :
1. boot up , activate a Visible sim, to verify it is unlocked and works. I will not install any system updates,
2.a follow Aseras and flash U1 rom first or
2b. just flash the TMO DUH4 rom, (I have a TMB sim )

So my 2 pressing questions are can I use the newest roms (if not how do I dl old roms using Frija) and can I skip flashing U1 on top of U1?

dadmi

Sep 15, 2012

I am getting a new Note 20 Ultra this week and I just want to double check before I flash:

I want to eventually use physical sim with Visible and eSim with T-Mobile. Right now I have two physical sims.

1. boot up , activate a Visible sim, to verify it is unlocked and works. I will not install any system updates,

So my 2 pressing questions are can I use the newest roms (if not how do I dl old roms using Frija) and can I skip flashing U1 on top of U1?
The lastest rom N986USQS2DUH4 should work.

Reactions: JeffATL

JeffATL

Oct 10, 2009
Not required, but I will factory reset phone before flashing.
Just tried it. I got 2 IMEI but 2nd greyed out, I could not find Sim Card Menu, only info regarding esim when searching settings was under MEI info. I see no TMB in settings ... service provider and no TMB flash. I have a Tmobile sim

Using modded Odin 1.4

When flashing in ODIN we should leave USERDATA blank, right?

Last edited:

dadmi

Sep 15, 2012
Just tried it. I got 2 IMEI but 2nd greyed out, I could not find Sim Card Menu, only info regarding esim when searching settings was under MEI info. I see no TMB in settings ... service provider and no TMB flash. I have a Tmobile sim

Using modded Odin 1.4

When flashing in ODIN we should leave USERDATA blank, right?
I flashed USERDATA also.

JeffATL

Oct 10, 2009
I flashed USERDATA also.
No matter what I do its, XAA/XAA/XAA/XAA across the board. I cant get TMB to show up. When did you buy your phone? I wonder if they did something to the bootloader to prevent the CSC change because it seems like others face same issue as me - but many of them do not have TMO sim, which I do.

I am having all the troubles of recent posters except you. I wonder if it is because your phone is older and they have updated something. I am in US and I have TMobile sim but it does nothing

I am still in return period. The only reason I upgraded to the Note was for the dual sim. If I cant get it to work I will flash back and return.

Last edited:

dadmi

Sep 15, 2012
No matter what I do its, XAA/XAA/XAA/XAA across the board. I cant get TMB to show up. When did you buy your phone? I wonder if they did something to the bootloader to prevent the CSC change because it seems like others face same issue as me - but many of them do not have TMO sim, which I do.

I am having all the troubles of recent posters except you. I wonder if it is because your phone is older and they have updated something. I am in US and I have TMobile sim but it does nothing

I am still in return period. The only reason I upgraded to the Note was for the dual sim. If I cant get it to work I will flash back and return.
What is your model number after flashing TMobile firmware? Is it SM-986U/DS?

I think firmware flashing is failing otherwise there is no chance to show XAA/XAA.

Are you sure flashing TMobile firmware? I have a Verizon Sim now and it shows as TMB/VZW, TMB/XAA.

JeffATL

Oct 10, 2009
What is your model number after flashing TMobile firmware? Is it SM-986U/DS?

I think firmware flashing is failing otherwise there is no chance to show XAA/XAA.

Are you sure flashing TMobile firmware? I have a Verizon Sim now and it shows as TMB/VZW, TMB/XAA.
I tried so many times, I even tried the one you had linked, I think it was DUE8 but same thing
Model is SM-986U/DS
Software version at the moment from last flash is N986USQS2DUH4
screenshot attached

Attachments

• 20210925_150659.jpg
    20210925_150659.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • FijaCapture.PNG
    FijaCapture.PNG
    37.5 KB · Views: 10

JeffATL

Oct 10, 2009
Do you see TMobile logo on boot? Do you have Verizon or AT&T sim to test and then try again with TMobile sim?
No TMobile logo and when I go into setup T&C is still with Samsung. Only time it changes is if I flash the Canadian XAC rom and then its Samsung Canadian T&C.

I have an active Visible sim,. On older phones inserting a sim used to prompt reboot. This is not the case with the Note

I just tried with inactive Verizon sim. Only thing happens when I insert sim is phone number changes.

Last edited:

dadmi

Sep 15, 2012
No TMobile logo and when I go into setup T&C is still with Samsung. Only time it changes is if I flash the Canadian XAC rom and then its Samsung Canadian T&C.

I have an active Visible sim,. On older phones inserting a sim used to prompt reboot. This is not the case with the Note

I just tried with inactive Verizon sim. Only thing happens when I insert sim is phone number changes.
May be you should try changing CSC.

JeffATL

Oct 10, 2009
May be you should try changing CSC.
Appreciate your help but I think it's outdated. It's basically what we have been doing. The issue is when I insert TMobile sim it doesn't an to reboot

I booted into recovery and notice its on duh4 - I really think Samsung locked it down on phones manufactured recently

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The lastest rom N986USQS2DUH4 should work.
    Thanks dadmi for all the help and suggestions and pointing to a thread where I found the start of solution buried in a single post by pimpmaneaton

After 30 flashes I am happy to report success!!!!! Could never get the TMO splash nor get XAA/XAA/XAA/XAA to change to anything else. I did try Aseras method, maybe the roms were not exactly the same but nothing got me off XAA until the below method

This was the post that worked (post #41), combined with a flash of latest TMobile rom afterwards

So I download a rom version where both the same last 4 letters exist for U and U1, DUE1 from https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...re-for-n986u-and-n986u1.4143833/post-83222267 I also downloaded the latest T-Mobile firmware DUH4 from Frija

1. Using modded Odin, flashed TMB DUE1 using all 5, regular CSC, I think I used USERDATA too , not sure if that matters
    2. Went through fast setup, still on xaa/xaa/xaa/xaa, 2nd imei greyed, no sim mgr, insert tmo sim, got service but no prompt to reboot
    3. Powered off (I dont think I did a factory reset but I dont remember I have done this so many times) and rebooted to download mode. Flashed only CSC file from the U1 version of DUE1, all other Odin fields were blank
    4. After flash, phone rebooted to recovery instead of setup, chose factory reset from the recovery menu
    5. Still no TMO splash, went through fast setup, inserted TMO sim, now on tmb/tmb/xaa/xaa, 2nd sim still greyed, no sim card mgr, ota update does not work
    6. Flashed DUH4 from Frija (did not factory reset), finally got TMoblie splash , and TMO T&C at end of setup. Inserted sim card. Rebooted. Now on TMB/TBMB/XAA/XAA - have sim card manager, 2nd imei not greyed - YAY - 🤑🍻🎉🎈

Note: I flashed DUH4 a bunch of times in a bunch of combinations, this was only time getting the TMO splash and TMB CSC in service provider - not sure if the specific DUE1 but thats what the pimpman posted so I followed it.

Now I have Visible unlimited as physical sim, $25 a month, and $15 Connect Plan on eSim as backup.
    Just wanted to report as well that I've converted to TMO firmware to get eSIM. Got tired of waiting for Samsung to NEVER release esim for unlocked phones.

anyway.. used these instruction and latest tmobile firmware

5. Do the same for CSC (click on CSC, Add the file with the name starting with Home_CSC). If you use Home_CSC your phone will not get formatted and data will remain Intact

I did NOT select HOME-CSC, just CSC.. phone rebooted into bootloader after ODIN did it's thing. I did factory reset and reboot. All well, eSIM active.. no issues. (y)
    Does esim works with another carriers SIM as well?
    Yes, providing your phone is unlocked
    I flashed the normal CSC and the phone boots to recovery. I chose not to factory reset and continue to boot. No TMB splash screen showed up and the esim is still greyout, Yet this time the phone gets connected to mobile network normally (other times it did not). One missing piece here i think is the physical TMB sim as i'm not living in the US so cannot get one.
    Yeah - TMobile sim is needed I think

I flashed DUE1 then after I flashed DUE1 U1 CSC booted to recovery I factory reset

Then I flash DUH4 full rom without factory reset
    Guys,

FINALLY!!! Woohoo! We have eSIM support on Note 20 Ultra US Snapdragon version for T-mobile. There is an OTA you can download and then convert your physical SIM to eSIM :)

Backup everything.
    Remove SIM

Restore your data.

Yay.
    yes. first round i did with 13.4 patched Odin, then again and again with 3.13.1patched as mentioned and follow exactly each step but still no sucess. Before flashing, my fone was on the lastest XAA june update. I even contacted T-Mobile to see if they can just unlock it for me but they ask for US citizent ID which i'm not.

Update: the only thing that different from the guide is that i'm downloading the FW from https://samfw.com with XAA and TMB version other that Frija because i cannot get it to work. is that make something different?

update 2: all the tutorial was all 2 or 3 months back and they mention first get back to U1 N986U1UES2DUC1 and then flash N986USQU2DUC8 over that one and I followed that process. Should I try with lastest FW update N986U1UES2DUE1? Havent try this one.
    Was able convert U1 to TMob version yesterday and activated Tmobile esim with no issues. Firmware used was the one linked in the first post.

Will unlocked version of Note 20 Ultra get this update with eSim support on Tmobile?
    What update? tell us more.
    It was just released today along with April 's security patch.