Note 20 Ultra has a secret 96hz display refresh rate - Here is how to enable it

Search This thread

tribalfs

Mar 28, 2014
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5
Yes, like I mentioned above. That APK is originally designed for the S20 series which do not have adaptive refreshrate. Thus, your refresh is locked.
Someone needs to make an updated APK for Note20U.. or just use the ADB command. It's a one time effort and I believe the setting remains even after rebooting.

Sharing my own implementation and fixes for our N20Ultra (5G).
- This app now uses a 3-way toggle button to easily identify the currently set max refresh rate - 60hz, 96hz or 120hz.
- Same also to the quick settings tile, I implemented a 3-way toggle qs tile (i.e. only one tile).
- Added a switch to show fps info overlay. Fixed wrong fps info bug on app resume. The fps overlay now shows even when app is hidden. You can check how adaptive fps works on different screens.

https://labs.xda-developers.com/store/app/com.tribalfs.n20umaxhz

credits:
@satySatsZB for his S20 Refresh Rate Controller app for S20/ultra
@MasK for his input on min_refresh_rate

Edit: Requesting OP/admin @AllAboutTech @stefanz08 to update OP info. Using S20 Refresh Rate Control app on note20 ultra actually results to more battery drain and the effect persist even if the app is uninstalled. Most of these users need to use the fixed version to make the adaptive refresh rate work again.

Last edited:

edwardob

Feb 8, 2009
- This app now uses a 3-way toggle button to easily identify the currently set max refresh rate - 60hz, 96hz or 120hz.
- Same also to the quick settings tile, I implemented a 3-way toggle qs tile (i.e. only one tile).
- Added a switch to show fps info overlay. Fixed wrong fps info bug on app resume. The fps overlay now shows even when app is hidden. You can check how adaptive fps works on different screens.

credits:
@satySatsZB for his app for S20/ultra,
@MasK for his input on min_refresh_rate

it complains about android version...... but works fine for me...
96hz works "more" adaptive than 120hz but probably not fault of your app

freezingpoint

May 24, 2013
Melbourne

Thanks, this works perfectly!
The 120hz is still adaptive but in very bright conditions only as stated in previous posts I've read. 96hz is very adaptive.
Also goes to 48hz on youtube on samsung browser, as pointed out by someone else earlier in the thread.

sammieboy

Jul 9, 2013
Maybe bc the games that you're running doesn't support higher than 60?? Dunno, just throwing it out there. Also, if it's really an issue, maybe perhaps just hit the QS toggle back to 120hz....and then switch it back to 96 once you're done gaming.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

chriscute69

Aug 10, 2014
Hello. I just used the updated app in controlling hz. I uninstalled the one posted by OP. My question is that based on press release of samsung, our display can support various hz as low as 1hz then increments upto 120hz.

My question is that using the updated app with fps meter, it only set backs at 60hz when idle not by advertised by samsungs as low as 1hz or 48hz maybe.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks. I just stated what i observed.

tribalfs

Mar 28, 2014
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5
Hello. I just used the updated app in controlling hz. I uninstalled the one posted by OP. My question is that based on press release of samsung, our display can support various hz as low as 1hz then increments upto 120hz.

My question is that using the updated app with fps meter, it only set backs at 60hz when idle not by advertised by samsungs as low as 1hz or 48hz maybe.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks. I just stated what i observed.

I believe the 1hz is for AOD.
48hz is working, just open and play a youtube video in samsung internet browser.

jdros15

May 10, 2013

Hi, the app works great, however, coming from the S20 app which as we know, messes up adaptive refresh rate, I noticed that your app locks it at120Hz. While I assume it works fine on others, maybe this is a bug where it doesn't always fix the messed up adaptive?

---------- Post added at 04:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 AM ----------

@jdros15 The lower-bound of the adaptive refresh rate seems to be 48Hz based on the first post.

I noticed in your code you set it to 60Hz. Any specific reason for that?

Is it 48? my bad. I'm planning to unpublish the app anyway since @tribalfs seems to have built a better one. I'm now using his app anyway. :)

DasOTTO

Oct 30, 2019
Maybe bc the games that you're running doesn't support higher than 60?? Dunno, just throwing it out there. Also, if it's really an issue, maybe perhaps just hit the QS toggle back to 120hz....and then switch it back to 96 once you're done gaming.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

I was specifically trying games that allow high frame rates. I did try to hit the toggle back to 120 and when i load a game it goes back to locked 60.

Last edited:

tribalfs

Mar 28, 2014
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5
Hi, the app works great, however, coming from the S20 app which as we know, messes up adaptive refresh rate, I noticed that your app locks it at120Hz. While I assume it works fine on others, maybe this is a bug where it doesn't always fix the messed up adaptive?

---------- Post added at 04:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 AM ----------

Is it 48? my bad. I'm planning to unpublish the app anyway since @tribalfs seems to have built a better one. I'm now using his app anyway. :)

Yes, I noticed that too... the 120hz is strange.. only noticed it downscaled to 48hz on yt in samsung browser..but that is definitely the stock behavior.

Made an update to this app.
V2 Changelog
- The 3-way toggle button and quicksettings (qs) tile are now aware if the current Motion Smoothness mode is set to Adaptive or not. If not, they will show 'Standard' and will open the display settings when clicked
- The switch for the FPS monitor overlay is moved to a new qs tile. You can now turn the FPS monitor ON/OFF anywhere without opening the app.

jdros15

May 10, 2013
Made an update to this app.
V2 Changelog
- The 3-way toggle button and quicksettings (qs) tile are now aware if the current Motion Smoothness mode is set to Adaptive or not. If not, they will show 'Standard' and will open the display settings when clicked
- The switch for the FPS monitor overlay is moved to a new qs tile. You can now turn the FPS monitor ON/OFF anywhere without opening the app.

I love the new update. But may I suggest something. Could you make the fps overlay bright green instead of dark red? Thankyou ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi All,

Seems like Samsung has added some trick to their Note 20 Ultra, beside the Adaptive refresh option.
    = Galaxy Note 20 Ultra has a hidden 96Hz display mode=

Normally, adaptive refresh rate from display sesstings in Galaxy Note 20 Ultra allows the phone, based on the actual open application to refresh the screen from 1hz up to 120hz.
    With this 96hz hidden option you can restrict the adaptive refresh rate to work from 1hz up to 96hz allowing your phone to prolong battery life.

https://www.sammobile.com/news/galaxy-s20-96hz-refresh-rate-mode/amp/

https://labs.xda-developers.com/store/app/sszb.s20.refresh

[{id=1, width=1440, height=3200, fps=60.000004},
    {id=2, width=1440, height=3200, fps=48.0},

{id=3, width=1080, height=2400, fps=120.00001},
    {id=4, width=1080, height=2400, fps=96.00001},
    {id=5, width=1080, height=2400, fps=60.000004},
    {id=6, width=1080, height=2400, fps=48.0},

{id=7, width=720, height=1600, fps=120.00001},
    {id=8, width=720, height=1600, fps=96.00001},
    {id=9, width=720, height=1600, fps=60.000004},
    {id=10, width=720, height=1600, fps=48.0}]

everyone says it is working. check and comment.
    cheers.
    Nice! but why do this? Imagine spending so much money on a phone to run it at 96hz
    If it's anything like the S20U then it surprisingly makes a significant difference in battery life, and can not tell the difference between 96hz and 120hz. On my S20U I got almost 2hrs more SOT running 96hz. Will give my Note 20U a couple weeks before I post results on the Note20U though.
    Thanks OP...working Note 20 Ultra

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Silly question....does this affect the ability for the screens refresh rate to tunnel down ? Example being samsung said the screen Will and can go as low as 1hz refresh when it can to save power?

Still has vrr
    based on the latest battery comparations between Note 20 Ultra with 4500mha and S20 Ultra with its 5000mha battery, the Note 20 Ultra adaptive display refresh rate managed to have the same battery life as S20Ultra even though it is short with 500mha.

Enableling the hidden 96hz mode in FHD+, Note 20 Ultra battery life will be even longer.
    Cheers.