Note 20 Ultra has a secret 96hz display refresh rate - Here is how to enable it

Search This thread

Semantics

Nov 30, 2009
I had to use the adb command but it caps at 96 and lowers to 60hz. I can't get it to cap at 120hz and then use vvr, though. It just stays locked at 120hz. Suggestions before I factory reset? This is why I don't play with my phone anymore lol.

pcriz

Aug 23, 2008
I had to use the adb command but it caps at 96 and lowers to 60hz. I can't get it to cap at 120hz and then use vvr, though. It just stays locked at 120hz. Suggestions before I factory reset? This is why I don't play with my phone anymore lol.

Did you change the value in the command to 120.0 instead of 96.0?

Semantics

Nov 30, 2009
Did you change the value in the command to 120.0 instead of 96.0?

I did, yes. It just stays at 120hz. I was under the impression the VVR would actually throttle down to like 1hz if there was no activity. I was able to get to 60hz using adb and the 96hz value. I guess I'll just factory reset as this seems like it's stuffed things up good.

themrfabio

Aug 27, 2020
I applied this mod and after testing through displayhz.com I thought that VRR wasn't working as it was locked at 96hz. Even tried the ADB command but still nothing. I use Microsoft Edge as my main browser and decided to try Chrome. In Chrome the VRR does work! So my guess is that some browsers lock the max refresh rate (if that's possible). Just wanted to let you know as browser choice might be another reason why it seems like VRR doesn't work for you while in fact it does (or should lol).

pcriz

Aug 23, 2008
I did, yes. It just stays at 120hz. I was under the impression the VVR would actually throttle down to like 1hz if there was no activity. I was able to get to 60hz using adb and the 96hz value. I guess I'll just factory reset as this seems like it's stuffed things up good.

Just to be clear. You did the adb command but changed it to 120 in the command. And you didn't touch the app? Soon as you toggle the app it breaks vrr

The whole throttle down to 1hz was BS. Why would it throttle down to less than what legacy devices run at (60hz)

Last edited:

boostnek9

Feb 12, 2010
Toronto

pcriz

Aug 23, 2008
Because that's the whole LTPO thing. That's literally the technology. It isn't BS..

https://wccftech.com/samsung-galaxy-note-20-ultra-z-fold-2-ltpo-display-refresh-rate-switching/

The source here is a tweet from Ice Universe. The refresh rate changing isn't a function of that particular display technology. LTPO already existed and one of the first iterations was created by apple. Samsung adopted it because of it's power saving abilities compared to other oled screens.

I'm looking for some Samsung documentation on VRR. Not an article written about an Ice Universe tweet.

Edit:

The official quote from Samsung is 10hz may be possible when viewing static images

Last edited:

boostnek9

Feb 12, 2010
Toronto
The source here is a tweet from Ice Universe. The refresh rate changing isn't a function of that particular display technology. LTPO already existed and one of the first iterations was created by apple. Samsung adopted it because of it's power saving abilities compared to other oled screens.

I'm looking for some Samsung documentation on VRR. Not an article written about an Ice Universe tweet.

Edit:

The official quote from Samsung is 10hz may be possible when viewing static images

Reputable source.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1596...-first-vrr-mobile-display-inside-note20-ultra

Semantics

Nov 30, 2009
Just to be clear. You did the adb command but changed it to 120 in the command. And you didn't touch the app? Soon as you toggle the app it breaks vrr

The whole throttle down to 1hz was BS. Why would it throttle down to less than what legacy devices run at (60hz)

Yeah, I changed to 120hz through ADB. I uninstalled the app prior to using ADB. I do believe the tech in this phone enables it to throttle down well below 60hz, perhaps I read it wrong.

Elastep

Feb 7, 2010
Ashburn
Sd version.
Checked displayhz before applying the adb command - stable 119-120 hz.
Checked displayhz after adb commands in all combinations. - the refresh rate never goes down and always remains at the same level...
Checked is Chrome, edge, internet by sams.

Can someone with sd version explain what he did to see VRR?

Moirae

Jul 16, 2013
I didn't get to try the refresh rate prior using the app, so I can't say for sure if VRR was broken in the out-of-the-box adaptive rate setting. Maybe someone who hasn't installed the app yet can try see the refresh rate from displayhz.com website and see if it fluctuates accordingly, or if it's fixed.

I haven't touched the app and that website is displaying a constant 120 hz.

Refresh is definitely tied to ambient light, makes no sense.......

Last edited:

DigDub

Feb 18, 2010
I tried using the Samsung browser that is installed with the phone. The VRR does work on a display phone in a store that has not been installed with the app, it varies from 60hz - 120hz. Mine also varies between 60hz - 96hz after using the adb command. For what it's worth, the phones are equipped with exynos chip. Probably works different from snapdragon chip?

Moirae

Jul 16, 2013
I tried using the Samsung browser that is installed with the phone. The VRR does work on a display phone in a store that has not been installed with the app, it varies from 60hz - 120hz. Mine also varies between 60hz - 96hz after using the adb command. For what it's worth, the phones are equipped with exynos chip. Probably works different from snapdragon chip?

I'm assuming every time it's worked for you it's been in a well lit area.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi All,

Seems like Samsung has added some trick to their Note 20 Ultra, beside the Adaptive refresh option.
    = Galaxy Note 20 Ultra has a hidden 96Hz display mode=

Normally, adaptive refresh rate from display sesstings in Galaxy Note 20 Ultra allows the phone, based on the actual open application to refresh the screen from 1hz up to 120hz.
    With this 96hz hidden option you can restrict the adaptive refresh rate to work from 1hz up to 96hz allowing your phone to prolong battery life.

https://www.sammobile.com/news/galaxy-s20-96hz-refresh-rate-mode/amp/

https://labs.xda-developers.com/store/app/sszb.s20.refresh

[{id=1, width=1440, height=3200, fps=60.000004},
    {id=2, width=1440, height=3200, fps=48.0},

{id=3, width=1080, height=2400, fps=120.00001},
    {id=4, width=1080, height=2400, fps=96.00001},
    {id=5, width=1080, height=2400, fps=60.000004},
    {id=6, width=1080, height=2400, fps=48.0},

{id=7, width=720, height=1600, fps=120.00001},
    {id=8, width=720, height=1600, fps=96.00001},
    {id=9, width=720, height=1600, fps=60.000004},
    {id=10, width=720, height=1600, fps=48.0}]

everyone says it is working. check and comment.
    cheers.
    Nice! but why do this? Imagine spending so much money on a phone to run it at 96hz
    If it's anything like the S20U then it surprisingly makes a significant difference in battery life, and can not tell the difference between 96hz and 120hz. On my S20U I got almost 2hrs more SOT running 96hz. Will give my Note 20U a couple weeks before I post results on the Note20U though.
    Thanks OP...working Note 20 Ultra

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Probably to save a little battery but still have the option of more then standard 60hz. Having different options is always a good thing.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Thanks. Now only if we could force 96hz and at 1440p.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone