Note 20 Ultra has a secret 96hz display refresh rate - Here is how to enable it

Search This thread

ruebarb

Oct 13, 2007
Did the ADB command and set peak to 120 , uninstalled app and rebooted. VRR is working. Found an app in playstore which shows refresh rate. You will see the displayhz showing 60 but the app shows 120. That is because once you touch the phone refresh rate ramps upView attachment 5089945View attachment 5089943

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

I did the same, except set it to 96, running snapdragon. :good:

Moirae

Jul 16, 2013
I noticed something interesting when running "adb shell dumpsys display"
Code:
mVotesByDisplay:
    -1:
      PRIORITY_REFRESH_RATE_MODE -> Vote{width=-1, height=-1, minRefreshRate=48.0, maxRefreshRate=120.0}
      PRIORITY_USER_SETTING_PEAK_REFRESH_RATE -> Vote{width=-1, height=-1, minRefreshRate=0.0, maxRefreshRate=120.0}
      PRIORITY_USER_SETTING_MIN_REFRESH_RATE -> Vote{width=-1, height=-1, minRefreshRate=0.0, maxRefreshRate=Infinity}
      PRIORITY_LOW_BRIGHTNESS -> Vote{width=-1, height=-1, minRefreshRate=120.0, maxRefreshRate=120.0}
  SettingsObserver
    mDefaultPeakRefreshRate: 120.0
    mRefreshRateMode: REFRESH_RATE_MODE_SEAMLESS
    mIsLowPowerModeEnabled: false
  AppRequestObserver
    mAppRequestedModeByDisplay:
    mLastAppRequestModeReason: NONE
    mLastAppRequestModeReasonType: NONE_TYPE
  BrightnessObserver
    mLowPowerModeEnabled: false
    mHasLightSensorListener: true
    mAmbientLux: 10.576586
    mIsWirelessCharging: false
    mDisplayBrightnessThreshold: 0
    mDisplayBrightnessThreshold: 0
    mAmbientBrightnessThreshold: 40
    mAmbientBrightnessThreshold: 7400

There is a low ambient brightness threshold and if the ambient light is below it the screen becomes locked at 120Hz. After flashing a flashlight at the screen refresh rate dropped to 60Hz.
When "peak_refresh_rate" is set to 96.0, variable refresh rate seems to work no matter the ambient light level.

Finally got this working. Took a bit of messing around but I finally got VRR working @ 96hz and the VRR is not tied to ambient light anymore. I used the ADB command but it never gave me VRR until I went back to display options and toggle the motion from adaptive to standard back to adaptive.

I can't get VRR to work @ 120hz.......whenever I set peak refresh to 120 displayhz stays stuck at 120. As soon as I set it to 96 I get VRR kicking in and displayhz shows 60 hz when I don't touch screen. I guess because of the ambient light, this really blows lol.

Last edited:

davidsmash098

Mar 11, 2011
I noticed something interesting when running "adb shell dumpsys display"

Finally got this working. Took a bit of messing around but I finally got VRR working @ 96hz and the VRR is not tied to ambient light anymore. I used the ADB command but it never gave me VRR until I went back to display options and toggle the motion from adaptive to standard back to adaptive.

I can't get VRR to work @ 120hz.......whenever I set peak refresh to 120 displayhz stays stuck at 120. As soon as I set it to 96 I get VRR kicking in and displayhz shows 60 hz when I don't touch screen. I guess because of the ambient light, this really blows lol.

Are those the exact values that you put in?

Moirae

Jul 16, 2013
Awesome, thanks! I'm a bit hesitant cause I just factory reset my phone and don't want to go through all the set up again, but since it seems like it's working well for you I might give it a go.

Yea if you just change the peak to 96 it definitely unties ambient light from VRR and works fine. I just wish I could do the same with 120.

K0wneD

Jan 21, 2013
Omaha
After using this app and setting my display to 96hz I noticed that my display was not doing vrr. I so wanted to use adb but out of curiosity I toggled adaptive motion on and off and did a phone restart and it appears the values set by this app were overridden and now I can see the display refresh rate vary. It started from 120hz and went down to even 16hz!! I think I'm happy with this setting and keep it this way, may be I'll come back to this app when vrr works with 96hz

I recorded the screen when all this for happening and dang I'm not able to upload the video through XDA Labs:crying:

Mr. Orange 645

Sep 6, 2010
Springfield
I'm not sure how some of you are getting VRR to work on displayhz website. I've never downloaded or installed rhr 96hz app. I've only ever adjusted the refresh rate through display settings. No matter what I do, dark room, bright room, Samsung browser, Chrome browser, displayhz shos my device at a constant 120hz. It does not wind down at all.

---------- Post added at 01:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 AM ----------

Ok, I finally got VRR to show up on displayhz. But I had to basically hold the phone up to the the light almost touching the light bulb. Even then, it only dropped down to 60hz, and didn't stay there very long.

I wonder if part of our battery drain issues isn't some bug in the VRR algorithm that isn't allowing the refresh rate to drop down like it should.

---------- Post added at 01:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 AM ----------

Cracked 5hrs SOT today with adaptive 120hz enabled. About to go too bed, and got 18% left.

Pretty damn good for exynos, considering all the complaints.

Your 5 hours SOT isn't exactly accurate though. The new battery stats counts ALL screen time for the entire day. Not just since last charge.

It appears you had it off the charger using it from midnight to 0200 hours roughly. Then you charged it to 100% and used it during the day.

So however much you used it from midnight to 0200 will be counted in that 5hrs SOT. So it's likely you only got 3 or 4 hours SOT from a single charge.

AllAboutTech

Feb 17, 2011
Bucharest
I'm not sure how some of you are getting VRR to work on displayhz website. I've never downloaded or installed rhr 96hz app. I've only ever adjusted the refresh rate through display settings. No matter what I do, dark room, bright room, Samsung browser, Chrome browser, displayhz shos my device at a constant 120hz. It does not wind down at all.

---------- Post added at 01:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 AM ----------

Ok, I finally got VRR to show up on displayhz. But I had to basically hold the phone up to the the light almost touching the light bulb. Even then, it only dropped down to 60hz, and didn't stay there very long.

I wonder if part of our battery drain issues isn't some bug in the VRR algorithm that isn't allowing the refresh rate to drop down like it should.

---------- Post added at 01:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 AM ----------

Your 5 hours SOT isn't exactly accurate though. The new battery stats counts ALL screen time for the entire day. Not just since last charge.

It appears you had it off the charger using it from midnight to 0200 hours roughly. Then you charged it to 100% and used it during the day.

So however much you used it from midnight to 0200 will be counted in that 5hrs SOT. So it's likely you only got 3 or 4 hours SOT from a single charge.

by using GSamBattery Stats PRO you are abel to see the following:
* SoT since last full charge
*battery consumming apps per %

Rapier

Recognized Contributor
Jun 23, 2008
Bucharest
Ok so coming back to the problem at hand, I face similar behavior with Mr Orange (stock phone, never installed the app here or run the ADB commands) ....screen stays at 120 hz on displayhz.com no matter what EXCEPT if I put it really close to the light bulb when shows 60 hz.

Which makes me wonder if lowering the refresh rate is not more a thermal throttling than an ambient light related as the screen gets warmer stayin really close next to the bulb (I've tested for ex with the flashlight from another phone to increase ambient light and was not going down to 60 hz...flashlight uses a LED that doesn't dissipates that much heat).

Couldn't find an app to display fps as an overlay so I'm still testing but I would like to see how that VRR (out of the box) is supposed to be working or if it's working at all, as the bad battery we got could be related to this.

I'll try the app here as well but again I'd like to see/test if VRR is actually working as advertised...like reaching 1 hz or at least 10 hz in some cases. So far I haven't seen any screen shot or video that proves that

P. S. If the app was made initially for S20 is different as that phone does not have a VRR display so it works differently than a Note 20 display

Sent from nowhere over the air...

Last edited:

flak0

Jan 3, 2009
Pembroke Pines , FL
Ok so coming back to the problem at hand, I face similar behavior with Mr Orange (stock phone, never installed the app here or run the ADB commands) ....screen stays at 120 hz on displayhz.com no matter what EXCEPT if I put it really close to the light bulb when shows 60 hz.

Which makes me wonder if lowering the refresh rate is not more a thermal throttling than an ambient light related as the screen gets warmer stayin really close next to the bulb (I've tested for ex with the flashlight from another phone to increase ambient light and was not going down to 60 hz...flashlight uses a LED that doesn't dissipates that much heat).

Couldn't find an app to display fps as an overlay so I'm still testing but I would like to see how that VRR (out of the box) is supposed to be working or if it's working at all, as the bad battery we got could be related to this.

I'll try the app here as well but again I'd like to see/test if VRR is actually working as advertised...like reaching 1 hz or at least 10 hz in some cases. So far I haven't seen any screen shot or video that proves that

P. S. If the app was made initially for S20 is different as that phone does not have a VRR display so it works differently than a Note 20 display

Here's an overlay app View attachment 5092689

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Rapier

Recognized Contributor
Jun 23, 2008
Bucharest
Thanks, I found also Game Booster that has the option and now I'm playing with that. So far....only 120 hz with extremely rare drops to about 110 hz for fractions of seconds. Regardless if I just stay on my home screen, staring on a PDF or web page or doing anything else (or not doing anything just to see a frame drop)

Rapier

Recognized Contributor
Jun 23, 2008
Bucharest
Same here, most of the time screen stays at max (96 hz after I used the app) with occasional drops to 60 hz (for ex while watching some youtube videos). Overall I'm extremely disappointed about Samsung's implementation of VRR...actually there's so few cases in which frame rate drops to a lower value that I don't see any battery gain.

Has anyone found a way to make VRR properly working? That is to go as low as 10 hz for ex when reading a page or have a static image on screen (like the homescreen for ex)?

Last edited:

AllAboutTech

Feb 17, 2011
Bucharest
Same here, most of the time screen stays at max (96 hz after I used the app) with occasional drops to 60 hz (for ex while watching some youtube videos). Overall I'm extremely disappointed about Samsung's implementation of VRR...actually there's so few cases in which frame rate drops to a lower value that I don't see any battery gain.

Has anyone found a way to make VRR properly working? That is to go as low as 10 hz for ex when reading a page or have a static image on screen (like the homescreen for ex)?

for me only goes to 60 and 96..but never under it..and i get 5hrs to 6hra SoT..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi All,

Seems like Samsung has added some trick to their Note 20 Ultra, beside the Adaptive refresh option.
    = Galaxy Note 20 Ultra has a hidden 96Hz display mode=

Normally, adaptive refresh rate from display sesstings in Galaxy Note 20 Ultra allows the phone, based on the actual open application to refresh the screen from 1hz up to 120hz.
    With this 96hz hidden option you can restrict the adaptive refresh rate to work from 1hz up to 96hz allowing your phone to prolong battery life.

https://www.sammobile.com/news/galaxy-s20-96hz-refresh-rate-mode/amp/

https://labs.xda-developers.com/store/app/sszb.s20.refresh

[{id=1, width=1440, height=3200, fps=60.000004},
    {id=2, width=1440, height=3200, fps=48.0},

{id=3, width=1080, height=2400, fps=120.00001},
    {id=4, width=1080, height=2400, fps=96.00001},
    {id=5, width=1080, height=2400, fps=60.000004},
    {id=6, width=1080, height=2400, fps=48.0},

{id=7, width=720, height=1600, fps=120.00001},
    {id=8, width=720, height=1600, fps=96.00001},
    {id=9, width=720, height=1600, fps=60.000004},
    {id=10, width=720, height=1600, fps=48.0}]

everyone says it is working. check and comment.
    cheers.
    Nice! but why do this? Imagine spending so much money on a phone to run it at 96hz
    If it's anything like the S20U then it surprisingly makes a significant difference in battery life, and can not tell the difference between 96hz and 120hz. On my S20U I got almost 2hrs more SOT running 96hz. Will give my Note 20U a couple weeks before I post results on the Note20U though.
    Thanks OP...working Note 20 Ultra

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Probably to save a little battery but still have the option of more then standard 60hz. Having different options is always a good thing.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Thanks. Now only if we could force 96hz and at 1440p.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone