Note 20 Ultra Less Vivid & Less Bright than Note 20

Search This thread

PsiPhiDan

Oct 27, 2011
Plainfield
I don't have my Note10+ anymore, but anecdotally this screen seems as bright or brighter. It's almost painful when turned up to full brightness! Definitely cannot imagine anything brighter ever being desired!

Those dim looking pictures... Yeah, definitely not what I'm seeing here at max brightness.

If anything, I wish it was dimmer on low brightness. It's still quite bright, haha.

Ricey

Jan 9, 2006
When I turn off my adaptive brightness and max out the display it is very bright, at least as bright as my op7pro (which also has a Samsung display).

I do notice that it SEEMS to be brighter on the "vivid" mode than it is on "natural". The "vivid" mode is also more vivid than the op7pro on vivid. Don't have another phone to take a pic of both phones at the same time though.

paulrgod

Sep 17, 2008
Sheffield
Mine is off back to Samsung today, replacement may take until next week. I'll report back when I have the new device to confirm how that one is.

Note, my decision to replace it was not based entirely on this issue, I've also experienced excessive heat and really poor battery life, less than 2 hours SOT from a full charge, it spent more time on Charge than any other phone I've ever had. Tried a full factory reset but didn't improve things... I really wasn't happy with it.

Last edited:

AndroidPurity

Nov 22, 2014
Reisterstown, MD
I don't have my Note10+ anymore, but anecdotally this screen seems as bright or brighter. It's almost painful when turned up to full brightness! Definitely cannot imagine anything brighter ever being desired!

Those dim looking pictures... Yeah, definitely not what I'm seeing here at max brightness.

If anything, I wish it was dimmer on low brightness. It's still quite bright, haha.

If you had it side by side you would be able to tell a difference. The Note 20 Ultra display is definitely bright. No one isn't saying that it's not. Its just a good bit less bright than past Samsung phones when in manual brightness.

I am mostly satisfied with the brightness at 90% manual in most situations indoors. But I shouldn't have to keep a $1300 phone that they claim is the brightest display ever at 90% just to be satisfied with the brightness indoors. But not everyone has a different preference when it comes to brightness and colors.

This display was measured at just a 2 nits at 0% by display mate. Basically Any dimmer you wouldn't be able to see. Unless your 0% on your device is some how more nits than than others.

Even though I'm disappointed with the peak manual brightness being less than other Samsung phones and less than OnePlus phones I have had, my other issue is with the color profile. The colors are less vivid/saturated and the worst part is the whites are more grayish.

I use light themes about half as much as I do dark themes. So having your whites being a light gray just sucks on a $1300 phone. Since you have no current phone to compare with put your phone beside a white sheet of paper while on the Google home page. It's no where near that white. My OnePlus 8 Pro comes pretty close when at 100% brightness.

When I turn off my adaptive brightness and max out the display it is very bright, at least as bright as my op7pro (which also has a Samsung display).

I do notice that it SEEMS to be brighter on the "vivid" mode than it is on "natural". The "vivid" mode is also more vivid than the op7pro on vivid. Don't have another phone to take a pic of both phones at the same time though.

Yeah the OnePlus 7 Pro does have a dimmer display than the Note 20 Ultra according to Display Mate. So your eyes are telling you the accurate results there.

The OnePlus 8 Pro is brighter than the Note 20 Ultra in manual mode. Plus color calibration is better in my opinion.

Although this Note 20 Ultra display is definitely a better display than the OnePlus 7 Pro display. No doubt about that.

Reactions: golani4455

AndroidPurity

Nov 22, 2014
Reisterstown, MD
Major break through of a work around I just discovered to help give extra boost to the brightness and contrast of our displays.

There is a maximum performance setting for power mode that I am sure most of us already know about. However when you select that option it says you have an option to increase the brightness of the display by up to 10%.

I always thought this would just manually increase your brightness slider 10% more. However it does NOT. My brightness slider stayed in the same spot after setting it to maximum performance. I also did notice after the loading bar finished applying maximum performance settings the display did suddenly get a little brightness boost! I did it multiple times to try to make sure my eyes were not playing tricks on themselves.

I recommend anyone disappointed with the brightness and contrast of your display try this in the meantime. Of course this could affect battery life, but hopefully not by much. I actually always ran my S10+ on the maximum performance setting and still got around 6 hours SOT. So if I can still manage over 5 hours of SOT then I am going to start using it after I get an idea for my average SOT while using optimized first.

So far from my first full day looks like I got out about 6.25 hours of SOT with 90% brightness FHD at 120hz. So looks feasible for me to switch to maximum. Still going to test optimized a few more days though.

Reactions: Mohamad Gahed

qzan7

Aug 13, 2010
This isn't really A deal breaker for me. But you can totally see the difference with this image.
One is my OP7 pro and the other is me note 20 ultra.
The note 20 is far less vivid with less contrast. The op7 shows darker grey with whiter whites.

unitz0mbie

Apr 6, 2015
Miami
This isn't really A deal breaker for me. But you can totally see the difference with this image.
The note 20 is far less vivid with less contrast. The op7 shows darker grey with whiter whites.

I mean you can go into the settings and fix your color balance...

unitz0mbie

Apr 6, 2015
Miami
you can on the oneplus (custom rom) not on the samsung, only warm and cool settings there.
unless there is something I do not know.
Um

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200825-051947_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20200825-051947_Settings.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 99

Mohamad Gahed

Feb 1, 2015

I don't know frankly but i don't see it as less vivid

I see it as different representation if colors

The question is who represent the correct colors :confused:

unitz0mbie

Apr 6, 2015
Miami
This charges red, green, blue light. Won't do anything to contrast or saturation.

Reducing the amount of red and green light, blue shifts a little more. Helps with contrast.

Varies by screen , try your own settings. I compared them to my IPS monitor that has been calibrated as well

Last edited:

AndroidPurity

Nov 22, 2014
Reisterstown, MD
Alright I'm reviving this post. I just keep noticing more and more display issues as I use the phone.

This entire post was originally dedicated to the Note 20 Ultra having a less bright and less vivid display than the standard Note 20, and even the Note 10 Plus, Note 9, Note 8, S20/S20+/S20 Ultra, and OnePlus 8 Pro.

However this issue just took a more crazy turn for the worse. Now it has been discovered that some Note 20 Ultra phones have dimmer less vibrant displays than other Note 20 Ultra phones. Thats right 2 of the same phones with different looking displays. This was discovered thanks to Zack at JerryRigEverything YouTube channel when he was testing the 2 different processors.

Check out his video here

At time stamp 4:05 he says... "You might have also noticed the screen color is a bit different with both phones. I'm pretty sure I have the brightness turned up all the way on each. But it makes you wonder if there are other components that don't match up between the variants as well."

I have also attached a picture to show the difference. My Note 20 Ultra is a US Snapdragon variant and my display looks like the display on the left (Zach's exynos). I also noticed today that adaptive brightness is NOT fully turning off. I thought a few times over the past couple weeks I saw my display suddenly get brighter or dimmer. But I figured it was just my imagination because I always keep the adaptive brightness off.

However I am able to consistently reproduce it. If I put the brightness at 100% with adaptive brightness Off, then open chrome, the phone immediately dims 1 second after. Try it on your phone. Maybe the out of wack adaptive brightness is a separate issue or maybe this could be the culprit to these dimmer less vivid displays. So I wanted to mention it too.

I also was able to reproduce it in another scenario by putting my phone inches away from a bright light in my bathroom while on 100% manual brightness, notice it get brighter without me touching anything, then take it away from the light quickly, then see it dim right in front of my face. Looks like its dropping a solid 20% brightness but the slider doesn't change position.

Please test those 2 scenarios on your phone let everyone know if it happens to you too. Also if someone happens to have 2 Note 20 Ultras or know someone who does, then please compare the displays and post 2 pictures. One showing the 2 displays on the google.com homepage in chrome and 1 showing the display section in settings.

I will be contacting Samsung tomorrow since it has been determined there could likely be other Note 20 Ultra phones with a significantly brighter display. Not something I will accept on a $1300 phone. Regardless whether its caused by them using 2 different types of displays manufactured by different companies, or caused by just "panel lottery of a defective display, its not acceptable and will be likely pushing for an exchange if they can't find a software solution some how.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200905-043541_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20200905-043541_YouTube.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 289

qzan7

Aug 13, 2010
What are you going to tell Samsung? "Send me a brighter display?"
The 2 phones are the exynos vs Qualcomm, if you have a Qualcomm you already have the brighter display.

AndroidPurity

Nov 22, 2014
Reisterstown, MD
I dont know about you guys, but my note 20 ultra feels bright af comparing to my note 10+ and oneplus 7 pro.

Exactly, because you likely have 1 of the Note 20 Ultras with a good display.

I'm not gonna trust some YouTuber.

Okay, thats a strange comment without explain why? But actually you don't have to. If you read the original post there is many other phone reviewers I referenced links to who also report the same display issue, and if you read through this post many consumers also confirm the same thing. But if you don't trust anyone on the internet, then why are you on the internet?

Mine looks like the one on the right. View attachment 5092389

Lol! A screen shot will not show what the display looks like. You have to take a picture comparing it to another phone to show to others. But glad you might have a good one!

Mine is a SD and definitely looks like the one in the left in the picture he posted.

Yet another person who confirms their display is dim and not vivid.

What are you going to tell Samsung? "Send me a brighter display?"
The 2 phones are the exynos vs Qualcomm, if you have a Qualcomm you already have the brighter display.

Lol! Not exactly. If there's proof my display is less brighter than other Note 20 Ultra displays, then it proves its a defective unit or proves they are using different display hardware without telling people. I'm going out to a couple stores to find 1 with the brighter display to take a picture for them to show mine is dimmer than some other Note 20 Ultras. The warranty on an electronic device is to replace anything that isn't the same as other identical phones that can not be resolved with software. That's considered a defective unit.

Also this video does not prove all qualcomm phones have the brighter display. Even Zack said it was just a 2 phone sample and no definitive conclusion can be drawn from these things without a larger sample size. Anyone who has taken a science class should know you can't draw a definitive conclusion from a 2 sample size of millions. This only proves some are brighter, it doesn't prove which are brighter. Thats a huge assumption you're making that isn't proven.

Last edited:

abax4401

Oct 27, 2015
Exactly, because you likely have 1 of the Note 20 Ultras with a good display.

Okay, thats a strange comment without explain why? But actually you don't have to. If you read the original post there is many other phone reviewers I referenced links to who also report the same display issue, and if you read through this post many consumers also confirm the same thing. But if you don't trust anyone on the internet, then why are you on the internet?

Lol! A screen shot will not show what the display looks like. You have to take a picture comparing it to another phone to show to others. But glad you might have a good one!

Yet another person who confirms their display is dim and not vivid.

Lol! Not exactly. If there's proof my display is less brighter than other Note 20 Ultra displays, then it proves its a defective unit or proves they are using different display hardware without telling people. I'm going out to a couple stores to find 1 with the brighter display to take a picture for them to show mine is dimmer than some other Note 20 Ultras. The warranty on an electronic device is to replace anything that isn't the same as other identical phones that can not be resolved with software. That's considered a defective unit.

Also this video does not prove all qualcomm phones have the brighter display. Even Zack said it was just a 2 phone sample and no definitive conclusion can be drawn from these things without a larger sample size. Anyone who has taken a science class should know you can't draw a definitive conclusion from a 2 phone sample size of millions. This only proves some are brighter, it doesn't prove which are brighter. Thats a huge assumption you're making that isn't proven.

If your screen didn't suck, it'd show it perfectly. ;)

My screen is white, not grey like you posted photo.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just received my note 20 ultra. Upgraded from a note 9 and can easily tell the my older note 9 has more vivid colors and higher Contrast. Also, went on google home page and compared the white background and the note 9 has truer whites while the note 20 ultra seems off white. :( Hope it can be fixed with a software update.
    My screen is every bit as gorgeous as my Note 10+. The problem with these threads is the placebo effect. If someone says there is an issue, you most certainly will find it, whether its really a thing or not. I can start a thread right now saying that my whites look red and people will say mine too!

Have this (UK Exynos) right next to my Note 10 Plus 5G and the screen on the 20 Ultra pales in comparison, no placebo effect.. it seems flat and lifeless, uninteresting... almost has a milky appearance, doesnt even seem like an OLED...

I'm so disappointed... with the combination of the poor display, running hot even while doing nothing (causing the screen to dim most of the time) and absolutely shocking battery life.. I think I'm going to return it. Shame, the device (Mystic White) looks absolutely stunning.
    I agree, this note 20 ultra screen feels very dull compared to my note 9. Thinking of going back to note 9 and returning this if things don't feel better soon.
    I prefer a more natural looking display like my iPhone LOL.

However, I agree, if someone WANTS inaccurate oversaturated colors then it should be available to them.

That is why stereos have bass and treble controls. ;)

Yes! Exactly!! Everyone has different preferences. The option should be there for those who want. Plus what's the point of having a vivid display option when it's not that vivid? That kind of defeats the purpose of the setting existing.

Plus Samsung says on their website that the Ultra is the most Vivid display on any Galaxy. Clearly that's not the case when comparing it to the standard Note 20. Since their website claims it's supposed to be the most vivid, that indicates the Ultra display is not supposed to be this way and something might be messed up in the software that is preventing it from being as vivid as they claim it should be, so they just need to roll out an update to fix it.
    My screen is every bit as gorgeous as my Note 10+. The problem with these threads is the placebo effect. If someone says there is an issue, you most certainly will find it, whether its really a thing or not. I can start a thread right now saying that my whites look red and people will say mine too!
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone