Note 4 freezes and restarts issue! Ultimate thread

Search This thread

John2y

Feb 27, 2009
Brno
I would like to post my story too, I don't think it will help but who knows. So, I've had my Note since the launch day and it has been the best phone I've ever had. After about year and a half it started rebooting itself but only once in a week or so, so it didn't bothered me. When I knew my warranty was about to end I went to the store to have a warranty repair. The cause of the random reboots was faulty a battery or at least it is what they told me. When I got it back my warranty ended and I was hoping it will work at least one more year so I could buy Note 8. Unfortunately about two weeks after repair, it started rebooting itself and lag as a crazy phone. I rooted it, flashed it but nothing have helped so I went back to stock. Then I found out about the Wake lock "trick" and everything works as it should but I can't restart it and the phone is a bit slower than before.

Is it posible that the lag and reboots are caused by the battery they have swapped? I know it's unlikely but what do you guys think?

nighthawk29

Feb 17, 2009
Mississauga
I have the random reboot issue quite frequently and like mentioned, it only started since the second MM update back in summer sometime (July or August I think...). I find it hard to think it so commonly happened to so many people at the same time after that specific MM update in the summer that I don't think it's hardware. I haven't been able to piece together any sort of pattern to this random reboot issue either other than it happens most days while I'm at work but I barely touch my phone while at work and then notice it's asking for my password instead of fingerprint which is how I know it rebooted. Seriously irritating the hell out of me!

Last edited:
Reactions: Saki01

fat-lip

Feb 25, 2012
Could it be another possibility that some apps installed are causing the said issue? My note 4 is only on Kit Kat without upgrading but this issue occurred all of a sudden.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-check-your-android-device-for-rogue-apps/

I downloaded Permission Dog and found out certain apps that had high permission levels, uninstalled them. Noticed that the said issue stopped for a while, used my phone as per normal, just that sometimes after the phone is keypad locked, the screen would go black and unresponsive when pressing all buttons.

phrsoft2003

Apr 29, 2011
My N910F juststarted doing this - started by just slowing to a crawl and eventually restarting or shutting down. At first I thought it was the latest Samsung firmare that came out a week ago, or maybe the Facebook app (it seems to trigger it). Tried going back to a previous TWRP backup, factory reset, went even as far repartitioning with a PIT file to clean everything, but the issue reappears in a few hours.
Wakelock app as suggested seems to be helping, but I did have a shutdown in the last 2 days.
So I ordered a new (used, tested but not guaranteed) board from Alibaba, here's hoping it works. I like my Note 4 too much, all the latest phones seem like a downgrade :(

Dwillian

Jul 23, 2013
Kent, WA
I am sure this has something to do with a Samsung security update. I run a debloated touchwiz rom on MM. I began having this problem out of the blue. Re-installed the rom and it worked great for an hour before I noticed a Samsung security update had installed. The same problem started happening.
I took out my sim (so no updates installed via mobile data) did a full wipe re-installed the rom removed all the Samsung update system files and have not had any problems ever since.

I don't know where to look for the Samsung update files. Could you please explain? My phone is stock, so maybe I can't delete them?
Thanks

febzz88

Jul 24, 2013
I started experiencing this issue since last week. Out of nowhere, my Note 4 started to lag and freeze. At first I thought maybe it was the battery too, so I got myself a brand new Anker Battery. And hey, nope it's not a battery issue. Then I reformatted my phone, and yes, it was still lagging and freezing.

Fast forward to this week, last night, I got the mmc_read failed message. Shoot me.

Now I've been using the Wake Lock app and it's set to Level 4 (Partial Wake Lock). It's been much better with this App running. Of course, my battery takes a hit. But at least the phone is usable, as long as I don't restart the Phone.

My gf's phone is exactly the same as mine, Note 4, and we're exactly on the same firmware version. She has no issue at all. We've switched batteries as well and her phone works fine with any battery.

I never rooted my phone, and I've been using only the original, official firmware pushed by T-mobile. My phone is running the latest firmware (EQB1) released last month. The problem didn't start right after my phone was updated. Only since last week.

Now, I've been scouring the Internet and many say this is a hardware issue, but some say too that this is probably caused by the firmware. Does anyone now know better if this is a hardware or software issue?

I was going to get myself another Note 4 but then if this is a firmware issue, it could happen too to a new Note 4. If this is a hardware issue, then a new Note 4 may not get this problem.

There's also a conspiracy theory saying that Samsung purposely did this so as to force all Note 4 users to upgrade their phones. If this is a firmware issue, can we file a class suit? Sigh.

UPDATE 1:
I just came back from the Samsung Experience Center. I also talked with Samsung, T-mobile over the Phone today.
So basically, from what the guy over at the Samsung Experience Center told me, a few months ago, many Note 4 Sprint users had this exact same issue. Basically the firmware update caused the phone to malfunction. In the end Samsung replaced all the affected phones. I went there, talked to him, and initially I wanted him to reflash my phone but he then told me that this issue was basically a faulty firmware. Reflashing wouldn't really help because the firmware itself is faulty. The firmware could have affected (damaged) the hardware. That this exact same issue has happened in the past with Sprint users.
I then called Samsung hotline up and talked with, fortunately, a friendly and helpful rep who was willing to document everything and escalate the issue on my behalf. She told me that she would call me back in a few days to update me on how the case is going.
At this point, I'll just have to wait and see.

UPDATE 2:
And apparently I just learned that Note 4 in Europe and Sprint here in the US just received a latest firmware update around 300-400mb in size.
"The firmware update description reveals that it brings better stability and performance as well as optimizations for improving battery efficiency. This Galaxy Note 4 update also comes with the March security patch that has 73 fixes for Android OS vulnerabilities and fixes for a dozen vulnerabilities that Samsung found in its own software."

Fingers-crossed, hopefully this update will soon come to T-mobile and other carriers and fix our issue.

Last edited:

N345H

Oct 19, 2013
Manchester
plus.google.com
So, I will try to jump on this thread to try and solve my Note 4 SN-910F problem.

I have had my Note 4 since release and over the last few months, only used it as a back up device now I have a Google Pixel XL. Around 3 weeks ago, I received an OTA update, all seemed fine so i left it to update. When I went back to my device, it was powered off. I switched the device on and now it constantly goes through the motions of booting up and loading apps then restarts constantly. You can see my video of the problem here https://youtu.be/WA8OrB5rEsM

I have put into download mode to try to use Odin but whatever I do I get USB device unrecognised. I have used in excess of 20 USB leads, 2 Laptops (Lenovo and Toshiba) both running windows, a PC running Vista and a Macbook Pro (2015). I have downloaded Kies and Samsung USB drivers to all devices and not one thing I do can I get any device to recognise my Note 4.

Any help or pointers out there would be greatly appreciated before I throw it in the trash.

Thanks

The_Mentiad

Feb 8, 2017
Ok. Same symptoms, currently still on the road with wake lock.
I believe there is more heat, mobo needs replacing, it will probably get worse.
My question is, can anyone recommend somewhere to get a new mother board cheap, that is reliable? Also is there anything​ to stop this merely happening again on the new mother board, or is the culprit mobo cooking update no longer in Circulation?

The_Mentiad

Feb 8, 2017
So after deleting half my apps and reinstalling - no difference, I tried reformatting my SD card (it is an mmc fail after all) and it seems to have fixed this for me... at least for the last 24 hours.
I will update if it all goes bad again.

Ok. Same symptoms, currently still on the road with wake lock.
I believe there is more heat, mobo needs replacing, it will probably get worse.
My question is, can anyone recommend somewhere to get a new mother board cheap, that is reliable? Also is there anything​ to stop this merely happening again on the new mother board, or is the culprit mobo cooking update no longer in Circulation?

dorian2kx

Sep 24, 2012
I'm having the same problem but phone wouldn't freeze and reboot once it's plugged to the charger... I've taken out my memory card so I'm gonna see the outcome of it and report back

virtusas

Aug 17, 2010
Has anyone came to most optimal setup for this issue yet without replacing MOBO? I know wakelock app is the only workaround. I have 910F and have going through few roms. The most unstable seems to be official. Currently on Resurection remix M. But it has bluetooth and camera issues. Id love to keep as close as possible to stock version usability, like S pen, android pay etc. If someone has advice on that, would be great.
Also if anyone could advice where to buy MOBO for reasonable price? Thanks

o0o.paw

Dec 31, 2011
Perth
I don't know where to look for the Samsung update files. Could you please explain? My phone is stock, so maybe I can't delete them?
Thanks

Hi, Sorry for the late reply I don't get on here too often any more. Life is a bit hectic :(

The files will have FOTA in the folder names. From memory they will be in Root/System/App and maybe in Root/System/Private-App.

I don't have any issues with this at all any more. I did notice that the phone got very hot when it happened. I wonder if a Samsung update caused an overheating issue that ultimately damages the motherboard?

burnin

Jan 24, 2013
Hello

Same problem Note 4 SM-N910F with Stock N910FXXS1DQB1 / Security july 2017.

My freezes and reebots started last week almost impossible to work with it more than 5 minutes, i think Facebook and Instagram and Camera are the Apps that crashs most the phonne but dont know if it have any connection between the Apss and the reboots. The finguertip reader also causes errors.

I did make a factory reset, try with Samsung Sync to, nothing works.

Someone can help? Tomorrow we have note 8 but i dont want to spend 1000€ in a new phonne, my Note 4 its almost 3 year old but its like new in my hand and i love it, works perfectly.

JuanWilliman

Jul 11, 2015
Montevideo
THIS WORKED FOR ME:
-install the most stable s8 or note 7 rom port in your device (I have n910c with nemesis refined).
-install wakelock (with root), select Partial Wake Lock, and enable Autostart on boot.
-Downgrade as much as possible the app “android system webview”.
-wait around 24 hours for the rom to manage battery better.

My Life before this fix:

-couldn’t install more than 2 apps.
-had to put the device in a ziplock bag and place it in the freezer for it to cool down while rebooting.
-couldn’t update apps without overheating.
-couldn’t browse internet more than 10 minutes.
-couldn’t do anything without the device getting hot AF.

My life now:

The device overheats from now and then, but the normal amount.
I have 1 reboot per week instead per minute.
I can do everything normally, download tons of apps, browse internet, download huge files without having the need of putting the device in the freezer...

SimonSP

May 26, 2007
Same issues here. Wakelock makes the phone usable (no reboots yet - 10 days) (and can't reboot without pulling the battery)

Refuse to believe it's a hardware fault with so many suffering from the problem at the same time. Samsung need to speak out (they know for sure what the problem is) - and my bet is that its not a motherboard issue (but they will tell you that because Samsung can make money on replacing the mb)

Sendt fra min SM-P905 med Tapatalk

vincom

Recognized Contributor
May 5, 2011
bolton, on
i have a note 4 910w8, i have a stock rom 6.0.1 security nov1/2016 gutted to about ~400mb w/some mods, its quick, runs cool. takes about 1min install, 4min 1st boot
i could upload for users to see if it resolves the rr, its a flashable zip but data will probably not work as its a 910w8 stock fw base.. let me know as i was going to make a seperate thread for it just haven't had the time and i havent figured out the data fixes for other note 4 snapdragon variants.
screenshots are from my s5 superlite rom which is linked in my sig, are almost exactly the same for note 4

torch.jpg
reboot.jpg
appdrawer.jpg
screen_widgets.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Rodz Le Plod

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone,

I've had my note 4 over two years now and out of nowhere problems started happening after second MM update, model SM-N910F was freezing and restarting and sometimes was not able to boot normally and got mmc read fail.
    I'm reading a lot about this problem in other forums and here, so hope someone could help about this issue.

No Success:
    I tried anything from removing sd card, removing sim card, changing the battery, resetting the device, cleaning the cache, flashing the room through odin, flashing the rom with pit file and doing a re partition (Didn't tried Nand erase).

Success:
    The only way that I was able to fix the freeze issue was by installing app called Wake Lock and enabling PARTIAL_WAKE_LOCK.

But using Wake Lock has its disadvantages. First of all you need to run the app all times which its not practical and second it wipes your battery because it keeps device and processor awake.

Please join this thread anyone who has similar issues with the aim to fix or bring the phone to an usable state again.
    Did you tried Wake Lock if it works? Which model of GN4 do you have ?

Yes, I'm on the Canadian SM-N910W8 model of GN4.
    I've been using the Wake Lock app for a few days now and it works perfectly, if you can get the phone to boot into homescreen that is.

For instance, when the phone shuts off due to low battery or an inevitable crash, sometimes getting the phone to boot up is a real pain in the ass because it doesn't boot up correctly most of the time.

However, one odd fix I've discovered is to put your phone and battery in the fridge for about 2-3 minutes and let it cool down completely. And then magically your phone will boot up properly to homescreen again. Activate Wake Lock and you're pretty much good until the next time your phone shuts off and can't boot. My phone will NEVER boot up to homescreen if it is even slightly hot in temperature. In order to boot, it needs to be cool.

I am highly confident that this is indeed a hardware issue, instead of a software issue. The mainboard fails to read memory properly which probably indicates that the mainboard needs to be replaced. I however cannot afford to do this so I hope that I can last atleast 2-3 years of my GN4 surviving through Wake Lock. :crying:
    Is there any reason at all why it is happening I mean for the nand issue. I don't like the answer that is motherboard fault and we should replace it, which probably means replacing the phone. Is there anyone who can see deeper into the motherboard to find the issue. I also insist that this started to happen immediately after the second MM update.
    I still have an IPhone 3G from 2008 and never changed anything on it. Isn't that ironic ?

It was a Bad batch of nand chip that started to go bad after a year or two. Note 4s started to drop like flies before April.

I think your in the 1st stage of Loss and Grief. 1st stage is denial.
    Hi,
    Can you provide the where you found the replacement motherboard?
    Buy the Note 4 from Samsung website. Swap out the mobo and return that BS back to Samsung...

There's an easy way to swap mobo too. Look for "HighOnAndroid" guy on youtube. He has a painfree method to do it without messing with screen.

https://youtu.be/OUDgGaFcCNY
    I have the random reboot issue quite frequently and like mentioned, it only started since the second MM update back in summer sometime (July or August I think...). I find it hard to think it so commonly happened to so many people at the same time after that specific MM update in the summer that I don't think it's hardware. I haven't been able to piece together any sort of pattern to this random reboot issue either other than it happens most days while I'm at work but I barely touch my phone while at work and then notice it's asking for my password instead of fingerprint which is how I know it rebooted. Seriously irritating the hell out of me!