Note 4 freezes and restarts issue! Ultimate thread

Search This thread

Ogriv

Jul 15, 2014
Same Issues here but possibly due to rooting??

Hi Guys,

I've got the same issue here but only after rooting it seems. My Note 4 is a Canadian SM-N910W8. When I installed the latest update and ran it for a few hours in stock it seemed stable until I rooted it - then it got all laggy with occasional crashes and hangs - SOOO annoying! Someone else on this thread mentioned that it could be Samsung trying to annoy rooted users and force people to buy new phones - I was thinking the same thing!

UPDATE: Confirmed - it appears to be root that's causing the problem. Running stock now and being force fed all the crappy samsung and google apps - this SUCKS! I can't hack my games anymore - Samsung can eat a D*ck!

UPDATE AGAIN: wow, phone just rebooted itself after typing my previous update. lol, *flips samsung the bird*

Conclusion: Note4 is totally unusable, Going to wait for next update and hopefully it'll be fixed. Like many others, I refuse to believe it's a hardware issue. I reverted back to my old trusty S4 for the time being.

Last edited:

Ogriv

Jul 15, 2014
Hey Vincom,

I'd like to give your rom a try for my NOTE4 910w8. Can you post when you have time?

TIA! :fingers-crossed:

i have a note 4 910w8, i have a stock rom 6.0.1 security nov1/2016 gutted to about ~400mb w/some mods, its quick, runs cool. takes about 1min install, 4min 1st boot
i could upload for users to see if it resolves the rr, its a flashable zip but data will probably not work as its a 910w8 stock fw base.. let me know as i was going to make a seperate thread for it just haven't had the time and i havent figured out the data fixes for other note 4 snapdragon variants.
screenshots are from my s5 superlite rom which is linked in my sig, are almost exactly the same for note 4

torch.jpg
reboot.jpg
appdrawer.jpg
screen_widgets.jpg

SimonSP

May 26, 2007
Hi,

My Note 4 (N910F) got the damn MMC error 3-4 month ago. It has been running fine after that when using Wakelock until today - not able to start at all.

I bought the phone from Orange in Spain on a 24 month contract which ends in a couple of days (pure luck it completly died today).

So today I delivered it to Orange and are waiting to see what they say/do.

I already miss my Note 4

burnin

Jan 24, 2013
I miss my Note 4! I have a Note 8 but I miss the note 4... Was the longest phone I had...

SimonSP

May 26, 2007

Rodz Le Plod

Dec 16, 2017
Note 4

wow, it makes my phone like new, hardly no lag and really quick, now i gotta learn how to get stuff back in, can you post links like you did in your other roms, the byo section, thnks for sharing btw

Hello. How do you use this file / get it onto note 4?

Mine is busted like this too and I need to try something.

CR

omarrph

Dec 26, 2016
Similar experience I had too last year.. out of nowhere one morning phone didn't boot.. what I remember last was that there was MM update that night and I installed it OTA and kept the phone on charge and in morning whatever I tried to make the phone boot up it didn't, there was only a strange white half booting bar....
I tried many things.. gave it to service center but they also couldn't do anything except says that this could be display or board issue..both when I enquired were expensive so I didn't go for replacement..
Then I started searching on web about the issue.. mostly on XDA I searched..
I am linking the post here
https://forum.xda-developers.com/note-4/help/weird-white-bar-booting-sm-n910g-t3529413
Don't know what Samsung did but this was observed mostly during end of 2016 to early 2017..
I still have the device and after doing so many things phone is up but with no SIM network and I am using it as just WIFI version only and it's running on 4.4.4... Only this version of android is working .. when I tried to install lollipop phone was in continuous bootloop and not showing recovery as I wanted to clear cache and factory reset.. also MM was not working.. only few times Dr. Ketan rom worked but then after few days phone started restarting.. then I again went back to 4.4.4 by using Odin and 4 files firmware repair from tsar3000... Selecting PIT, BL, AP and CP and ticking repartition+f.reset+Nand erase all.. when selecting CSC Odin always failed so only selected BL AP and CP.. phone is up with all features but network is not working still.. Still hoping someone can guide me to get SIM network to work on Note 4.. kindly check XDA link of my post
https://forum.xda-developers.com/note-4/help/note-4-sm-n910g-registering-network-t3731567
Its a shame as device was so good in many aspects..

Last edited:

fastmike

Jul 6, 2007
Same here with Note 4 and Note 3 NOT ROOTED. Started right after last update. Also issue with Mail app being stuck on downloading email when you try to transfer a mail ('solved' by uninstalling Webviewer as temporary fix)...

JuanWilliman

Jul 11, 2015
Montevideo
My note 4 (N910C EXYNOS variant) has been working great for a year (bought it when the note 5 came out).
But between late 2016 and early 2017, my Note 4 started to overheat, freeze and started to boot loop.

The only way I could stop that boot loop was by putting the phone in a ziplock bag and placeing it in the freezer for it to cool down, and then turn it on while on the freezer.

I’ve tried almost every lollipop, marshmallow and nougat rom available. But this problem wasn’t fixed by installing roms. I used the NEMESIS REFINED ROM, it worked great, awesome. But still, I couldn’t use gps, lte, max brightness, Spotify and google maps while I was on the street, without the phone restarting and becoming useless.

I used every touchwiz based rom and the problem still wasn’t fixed.

I tried AOSP roms instead, I used the bliss rom based on stock marshmallow, but had huge bugs.
I used lineage os and resurrection remix roms based on nougat. They worked great, but I missed the s pen features and also, the problem was still there.

The only way I’ve found to get the phone not to reboot as much (as much, not definitely), is by having as few installed apps as possible. And installing the famous note 4 fix, wake lock, and enabling parcial wake lock and auto start.

I haven’t tried (and probably failing) to downgrade to kit kat because I’ll loose to many features like google assistant (I use it a lot) or the new s pen features.

Currently, I’m using stock marshmallow, non rooted, with wakelock installed, it works better than I expected, the phone overheats from time to time. But it rebooted only once in the whole week I had it running stock MM.

This is a hardware issue caused by a software update, no doubt about that.
The only thing you we can do is, installing wakelock, having as few apps as we can, and start saving for a new phone, because it will not hold on much more time...

Last edited:

MaxBPL

Feb 5, 2014
Note 4 devices and newer/older Samsung flag phones usually have got memory chip placed over CPU. When it heats it gives your EEPROM a hard time, and temperature could also crack some soldering points which will cause freezes and low responsibility.
Check your device with Android bench app - it will check your memory speed and if it is below 100MB/s it means a bad connection for memory.
Change of motherboard is required. I've managed to reflow this piece of technological sh*t and it's working like a charm. Mind that this is little risky and you should NOT do this if you do not feel great in small electronics.

RezDog

Apr 8, 2008
Fixed by Samsung

I know this might seem like the easy way out, but I finally broke down and sent my freezing and rebooting Note 4 to Samsung. When I created the ticket online, it listed the "standard repair" price as $64.95. I figured this would be a fee not including parts. When I got it back, they had replaced the logic board, the battery, and the home button (which I didn't have any problem with) and even included a replacement charging cable, all for the standard fee of $64.95, including 2day shipping both ways.
I'm not sure if this was a reduced price because of the high failure rate of this phone, but I wish I would have known how inexpensive it was sooner. It would have been worth $65 to avoid all the frustration and lack of sleep!

burnin

Jan 24, 2013
I know this might seem like the easy way out, but I finally broke down and sent my freezing and rebooting Note 4 to Samsung. When I created the ticket online, it listed the "standard repair" price as $64.95. I figured this would be a fee not including parts. When I got it back, they had replaced the logic board, the battery, and the home button (which I didn't have any problem with) and even included a replacement charging cable, all for the standard fee of $64.95, including 2day shipping both ways.
I'm not sure if this was a reduced price because of the high failure rate of this phone, but I wish I would have known how inexpensive it was sooner. It would have been worth $65 to avoid all the frustration and lack of sleep!

How do you do it and where? It's possible to have that kind of service in Portugal?

My note 4 its a remote controler for my samsung TV right now... nothing more.

tekweezle

Jun 20, 2012
This sucks that a software update could cause a perfectly working phone to die a horrible death. I was on Lollipop 5.11 for the longest time and never got a notice for system updates until last month. Now I am on Marshmallow and after many attempts, the latest update. That process caused a lot of issues because the update process was anything but smooth.

The phone works okay but I can't power off or restart it without having to stick it in the the freezer or pull the battery and wait 30 minutes. Using the wake lock app. It's like Samsung purposely sabotaged this phone.

Last edited:

RezDog

Apr 8, 2008
How do you do it and where? It's possible to have that kind of service in Portugal?

My note 4 its a remote controler for my samsung TV right now... nothing more.

I went to the samsung site, and clicked on "register your device" under the support menu.

I registered my phone, then clicked the button for "request service". It was pretty simple.

The service in the states is probably different than in Europe, and I know there is at least one class action lawsuit pending against Samsung here. That might have something to do with the low service charge.

---------- Post added at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

This sucks that a software update could cause a perfectly working phone to die a horrible death. I was on Lollipop 5.11 for the longest time and never got a notice for system updates until last month. Now I am on Marshmallow and after many attempts, the latest update. That process caused a lot of issues because the update process was anything but smooth.

The phone works okay but I can't power off or restart it without having to stick it in the the freezer or pull the battery and wait 30 minutes. Using the wake lock app. It's like Samsung purposely sabotaged this phone.

Unfortunately, it's not the fault of any software, it's a design flaw where the onboard memory is actually failing. There are a few posts like this one that partially explain why it is happening, and link to the lawsuit:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/note-4-verizon/general/note-4-emmc-fail-lawsuit-samsung-t3727161

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone,

I've had my note 4 over two years now and out of nowhere problems started happening after second MM update, model SM-N910F was freezing and restarting and sometimes was not able to boot normally and got mmc read fail.
    I'm reading a lot about this problem in other forums and here, so hope someone could help about this issue.

No Success:
    I tried anything from removing sd card, removing sim card, changing the battery, resetting the device, cleaning the cache, flashing the room through odin, flashing the rom with pit file and doing a re partition (Didn't tried Nand erase).

Success:
    The only way that I was able to fix the freeze issue was by installing app called Wake Lock and enabling PARTIAL_WAKE_LOCK.

But using Wake Lock has its disadvantages. First of all you need to run the app all times which its not practical and second it wipes your battery because it keeps device and processor awake.

Please join this thread anyone who has similar issues with the aim to fix or bring the phone to an usable state again.
    Did you tried Wake Lock if it works? Which model of GN4 do you have ?

Yes, I'm on the Canadian SM-N910W8 model of GN4.
    I've been using the Wake Lock app for a few days now and it works perfectly, if you can get the phone to boot into homescreen that is.

For instance, when the phone shuts off due to low battery or an inevitable crash, sometimes getting the phone to boot up is a real pain in the ass because it doesn't boot up correctly most of the time.

However, one odd fix I've discovered is to put your phone and battery in the fridge for about 2-3 minutes and let it cool down completely. And then magically your phone will boot up properly to homescreen again. Activate Wake Lock and you're pretty much good until the next time your phone shuts off and can't boot. My phone will NEVER boot up to homescreen if it is even slightly hot in temperature. In order to boot, it needs to be cool.

I am highly confident that this is indeed a hardware issue, instead of a software issue. The mainboard fails to read memory properly which probably indicates that the mainboard needs to be replaced. I however cannot afford to do this so I hope that I can last atleast 2-3 years of my GN4 surviving through Wake Lock. :crying:
    Is there any reason at all why it is happening I mean for the nand issue. I don't like the answer that is motherboard fault and we should replace it, which probably means replacing the phone. Is there anyone who can see deeper into the motherboard to find the issue. I also insist that this started to happen immediately after the second MM update.
    I still have an IPhone 3G from 2008 and never changed anything on it. Isn't that ironic ?

It was a Bad batch of nand chip that started to go bad after a year or two. Note 4s started to drop like flies before April.

I think your in the 1st stage of Loss and Grief. 1st stage is denial.
    Hi,
    Can you provide the where you found the replacement motherboard?
    Buy the Note 4 from Samsung website. Swap out the mobo and return that BS back to Samsung...

There's an easy way to swap mobo too. Look for "HighOnAndroid" guy on youtube. He has a painfree method to do it without messing with screen.

https://youtu.be/OUDgGaFcCNY
    I have the random reboot issue quite frequently and like mentioned, it only started since the second MM update back in summer sometime (July or August I think...). I find it hard to think it so commonly happened to so many people at the same time after that specific MM update in the summer that I don't think it's hardware. I haven't been able to piece together any sort of pattern to this random reboot issue either other than it happens most days while I'm at work but I barely touch my phone while at work and then notice it's asking for my password instead of fingerprint which is how I know it rebooted. Seriously irritating the hell out of me!