Note 4 freezes and restarts issue! Ultimate thread

Search This thread

tekweezle

Jun 20, 2012
According to the emmc brick checker app, my Note doesn't have the faulty emmc chip. It's just a weird situation to debug. On the surface it feels like a hardware bug.

But it's just strange that it affects so many people and just popped up recently. So it seems like it's software.

Before that, the phone was solid. It almost feels like there's an internal expiration bug built in. I don't put it past manufacturers to install a "planned obsolescence" into their products because they don't want you to not upgrade to their latest stuff or they would go out of business. But this just seems a bit malicious - something apple would do.

RezDog

Apr 8, 2008
According to the emmc brick checker app, my Note doesn't have the faulty emmc chip. It's just a weird situation to debug. On the surface it feels like a hardware bug.

But it's just strange that it affects so many people and just popped up recently. So it seems like it's software.

Before that, the phone was solid. It almost feels like there's an internal expiration bug built in. I don't put it past manufacturers to install a "planned obsolescence" into their products because they don't want you to not upgrade to their latest stuff or they would go out of business. But this just seems a bit malicious - something apple would do.

Here is a more technical breakdown of what happens on many of the Note 4's. Note that the brick checker app might not actually detect a faulty chip until it heats up, at which point the phone may not be able to run the app:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/note-4/general/emmc-brickbug-t3680182

RS08

Jun 23, 2011
I am using my Note 4 since 3.5 years now and got confronted with the same constant reboots described here, for the past 2 weeks.

My story till now:
- After ca. 1 year with original battery, which came with the phone: My phone started switching off itself when it reached 20% of battery. I bought a new original battery and the phone continued working normally.
- After ca. 1.5 years with the second original battery my phone started switching off when it reached ca. 40% of battery. I bought my third original battery and the phone continued working normally.
- After 8 months with my third original battery (now) my phone started showing the symptoms described in this thread. It was switching off randomly/constantly and trying to reboot but ended in a bootloop and became very hot. Sometimes it needed hours of bootlooops and battery removals until it managed to reboot completely. Sometimes I was able to use full battery from 100% to 0% with no reboots but if it switched off, I was not able to reboot it normally. I also tried almost everything: factory resets, flashing of new roms, wiping everything, deleting battery stats etc. with no constant success.

The difference to the first two cases was, that this time the phone was switching off at any charge level of the battery and it was constantly trying to reboot. While in the other cases it switched off and was not rebooting unless I switched it on.
I couldn't find a working window and it looked very like a hardware issue than a battery/software issue.

Nevertheless, before throwing my phone in the bin I ordered a 4th battery, this time not an original one. Today I received the battery and my phone is back to normal again. I know I must wait longer until I can say for sure but it looks like at least my issues were related again to the battery.

burnin

Jan 24, 2013
Nevertheless, before throwing my phone in the bin I ordered a 4th battery, this time not an original one. Today I received the battery and my phone is back to normal again. I know I must wait longer until I can say for sure but it looks like at least my issues were related again to the battery.

I would love to know if the issue is related with the origin of the battery. I have been trough that process too, and give up, i have 2 bulk Samsung Batterys. Say someyhing about it in one month for exemple

Thanks

tekweezle

Jun 20, 2012
Been using 3rd party batteries in my Note 4 with no issues. But for some reason the phone gets abnormally hot requiring a shutdown and sometimes placing in refrigerator or freezer for a short period of time or it just doesn't turn on.

SuDoHack

Dec 12, 2012
Hey Folks - Will I guess I'm not the only one with this Note 4 Stability Issue. I have a very unstable SM-N910W8 (on Rogers Marshmellow) with Bootloader: N910W8VLS1DPK1.

I've been reading lots of threads on it and assorted solutions, but I feel like I'm starting to go in circles now. This Note 4 is a real nice machine when it's running, but with constant freezes, reboots, and inability to start up unless I take the battery out for "a while", stand on my head, push the pins in with my tongue and say a prayer, means this phone is kinda useless as is. Wakelock doesn't seem to help much either.

I believe what I'd like to try as a final last ditch attempt to fix is to revert to an older bootloader and go down to 4.4 Kitkat instead of Marshmellow. The key being to re-partition my internal memory in the process. I'm not sure such a downgrade is possible? I've located the Pit file and Telus Kitkat Rom (is currently Rogers Marshmello) for SM-N910W8.

I tried the AParted app but that was not able to see my internal memory. I replaced the battery to try and eliminate power issues. To equate it to old PC standards, it does seem a lot like the internal hard drive is failing. Maybe a repart could fix it, or maybe there is a way to load off an external SD and ignore the internal.

The phone was given to me due to it's unstability beginning after a system update in 2016/2017. After I rooted it, wiped and factory reset the phone, it worked quite well for a few months. However lately it's gone quite haywire and I can't achieve any kind of stability. Anecdotally it seems like once the phone settles down and works again, turning on data will re-trigger the unstable freeze-reboot cycle for days after. It doesn't want to settle down this time. Most times now it won't even start and I'll see the mmc fail or download screens.

Trying to figure out the best way to proceed before I end up with a Brickier brick. Much thanks.

SM-N910W8
bootloader: N910W8VLS1DPK1
Android: 6.0.1
Build number: MMB29M.N910W8VLS1DPK1
Kernel: 3.10.40-8000148

Last edited:

Unkn0wM3m3

Sep 3, 2017
Hey I have a T-Mobile Galaxy Note 4 and I've also had this problem for almost a year now. Everything was perfect until I updated to the Android 6.0.2 MM. My sister also had a T-Mobile Galaxy Note 4 and it messed everything on her phone from this same issue and she had to get a new phone. Although my phone isn't as bad as hers was, my phone restarts under 20% battery and freezes up very annoying. Now I use Resurrection Remix 6.0.0 Oreo and it works great. This problem is not as bad as the stock Note 4 ROM and a Note 7 port I've use in the past.

Reactions: SuDoHack

SuDoHack

Dec 12, 2012
I installed the NotaBene Slim rom and for about 36 hours now my Note4 has been up and running. Seems pretty stable with only a couple minor lags here and there, no reboots or full freeze ups. Fingers crossed it stays that way and doesn't start going crazy again in another day or two.

SuDoHack

Dec 12, 2012
Hmmm back to unstable, it seems the fresh ROM only bought me about 36 hours of reprieve before it started going crazy again. Maybe a fresh install uses good memory, but after a few days of adding new data maybe it's bad emmc that's causing the trouble as others have reported. Any way to install a ROM to external SD and ignore internal all together?

tekweezle

Jun 20, 2012
I just factory reset my misbehaving Note 4, wiping out everything and it's back up and running. Because of this, I am leaning toward concluding this is more a software issue than hardware issue. While the phone was non functional, it would boot up to the Verizon logo, get really hot and just freeze up.

Right now with constant screen on time because I have been working with it, no issues. Perplexed but happy phone is functional. Haven't put a sim card or micro SD card on yet. Will try those next

tekweezle

Jun 20, 2012
Not that it matters much to anyone as we all know of the obvious emmc flaw in this device but my Note 4 has been functional with some caveats that are well known.

If the device loses power or I do a battery swap, the only way to power on the device is to stick in the freezer for a little bit.

I did incur the dreaded emmc memory chip read error when I was accessing the PlayStore and the area around the cpu seemed to get overly hot. I thought the device was completely dead but revived after using the freezer.

I guess I could contact samsung about a motherboard repair or swap if it costs under 70$ . Other than the general flakiness regarding the power to the phone, it still runs great. Other than that, a little bit too unreliable to be my daily driver. A pity because now I see why people have raved about this phone. It was designed too well except for the fatal flaw.

RezDog

Apr 8, 2008
Over a year after Samsung switched out the main logic board, the phone is still working perfectly. NFC even works with Google pay, which always frustrated me before. This leads me to believe there is a redesigned motherboard for this phone. A shame that Samsung never made it available without repair service.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone,

I've had my note 4 over two years now and out of nowhere problems started happening after second MM update, model SM-N910F was freezing and restarting and sometimes was not able to boot normally and got mmc read fail.
    I'm reading a lot about this problem in other forums and here, so hope someone could help about this issue.

No Success:
    I tried anything from removing sd card, removing sim card, changing the battery, resetting the device, cleaning the cache, flashing the room through odin, flashing the rom with pit file and doing a re partition (Didn't tried Nand erase).

Success:
    The only way that I was able to fix the freeze issue was by installing app called Wake Lock and enabling PARTIAL_WAKE_LOCK.

But using Wake Lock has its disadvantages. First of all you need to run the app all times which its not practical and second it wipes your battery because it keeps device and processor awake.

Please join this thread anyone who has similar issues with the aim to fix or bring the phone to an usable state again.
    Did you tried Wake Lock if it works? Which model of GN4 do you have ?

Yes, I'm on the Canadian SM-N910W8 model of GN4.
    I've been using the Wake Lock app for a few days now and it works perfectly, if you can get the phone to boot into homescreen that is.

For instance, when the phone shuts off due to low battery or an inevitable crash, sometimes getting the phone to boot up is a real pain in the ass because it doesn't boot up correctly most of the time.

However, one odd fix I've discovered is to put your phone and battery in the fridge for about 2-3 minutes and let it cool down completely. And then magically your phone will boot up properly to homescreen again. Activate Wake Lock and you're pretty much good until the next time your phone shuts off and can't boot. My phone will NEVER boot up to homescreen if it is even slightly hot in temperature. In order to boot, it needs to be cool.

I am highly confident that this is indeed a hardware issue, instead of a software issue. The mainboard fails to read memory properly which probably indicates that the mainboard needs to be replaced. I however cannot afford to do this so I hope that I can last atleast 2-3 years of my GN4 surviving through Wake Lock. :crying:
    Is there any reason at all why it is happening I mean for the nand issue. I don't like the answer that is motherboard fault and we should replace it, which probably means replacing the phone. Is there anyone who can see deeper into the motherboard to find the issue. I also insist that this started to happen immediately after the second MM update.
    I still have an IPhone 3G from 2008 and never changed anything on it. Isn't that ironic ?

It was a Bad batch of nand chip that started to go bad after a year or two. Note 4s started to drop like flies before April.

I think your in the 1st stage of Loss and Grief. 1st stage is denial.
    Hi,
    Can you provide the where you found the replacement motherboard?
    Buy the Note 4 from Samsung website. Swap out the mobo and return that BS back to Samsung...

There's an easy way to swap mobo too. Look for "HighOnAndroid" guy on youtube. He has a painfree method to do it without messing with screen.

https://youtu.be/OUDgGaFcCNY
    I have the random reboot issue quite frequently and like mentioned, it only started since the second MM update back in summer sometime (July or August I think...). I find it hard to think it so commonly happened to so many people at the same time after that specific MM update in the summer that I don't think it's hardware. I haven't been able to piece together any sort of pattern to this random reboot issue either other than it happens most days while I'm at work but I barely touch my phone while at work and then notice it's asking for my password instead of fingerprint which is how I know it rebooted. Seriously irritating the hell out of me!