Note 4 freezes and restarts issue! Ultimate thread

Search This thread

shpeendi

Jul 12, 2009
Hello everyone,

I've had my note 4 over two years now and out of nowhere problems started happening after second MM update, model SM-N910F was freezing and restarting and sometimes was not able to boot normally and got mmc read fail.
I'm reading a lot about this problem in other forums and here, so hope someone could help about this issue.

No Success:
I tried anything from removing sd card, removing sim card, changing the battery, resetting the device, cleaning the cache, flashing the room through odin, flashing the rom with pit file and doing a re partition (Didn't tried Nand erase).

Success:
The only way that I was able to fix the freeze issue was by installing app called Wake Lock and enabling PARTIAL_WAKE_LOCK.

But using Wake Lock has its disadvantages. First of all you need to run the app all times which its not practical and second it wipes your battery because it keeps device and processor awake.

Please join this thread anyone who has similar issues with the aim to fix or bring the phone to an usable state again.

Last edited:

The Sponge

Aug 14, 2016
I also purchased my GN4 about 2 years ago and just recently got this error. This is really fishy. Wouldn't be surprised if it was Samsung trying to screw over all the root users and get us to upgrade to newer models.

The Sponge

Aug 14, 2016
Did you tried Wake Lock if it works? Which model of GN4 do you have ?

Yes, I'm on the Canadian SM-N910W8 model of GN4.
I've been using the Wake Lock app for a few days now and it works perfectly, if you can get the phone to boot into homescreen that is.

For instance, when the phone shuts off due to low battery or an inevitable crash, sometimes getting the phone to boot up is a real pain in the ass because it doesn't boot up correctly most of the time.

However, one odd fix I've discovered is to put your phone and battery in the fridge for about 2-3 minutes and let it cool down completely. And then magically your phone will boot up properly to homescreen again. Activate Wake Lock and you're pretty much good until the next time your phone shuts off and can't boot. My phone will NEVER boot up to homescreen if it is even slightly hot in temperature. In order to boot, it needs to be cool.

I am highly confident that this is indeed a hardware issue, instead of a software issue. The mainboard fails to read memory properly which probably indicates that the mainboard needs to be replaced. I however cannot afford to do this so I hope that I can last atleast 2-3 years of my GN4 surviving through Wake Lock. :crying:

Reactions: MajorMcNugget

shpeendi

Jul 12, 2009
I've been using the Wake Lock app for a few days now and it works perfectly, if you can get the phone to boot into homescreen that is.

For instance, when the phone shuts off due to low battery or an inevitable crash, sometimes getting the phone to boot up is a real pain in the ass because it doesn't boot up correctly most of the time.

However, one odd fix I've discovered is to put your phone and battery in the fridge for about 2-3 minutes and let it cool down completely. And then magically your phone will boot up properly to homescreen again. Activate Wake Lock and you're pretty much good until the next time your phone shuts off and can't boot. My phone will NEVER boot up to homescreen if it is even slightly hot in temperature. In order to boot, it needs to be cool.

I am highly confident that this is indeed a hardware issue, instead of a software issue. The mainboard fails to read memory properly which probably indicates that the mainboard needs to be replaced. I however cannot afford to do this so I hope that I can last atleast 2-3 years of my GN4 surviving through Wake Lock. :crying:

I really don't think it's an hardware issue but even if so, why this started to happen immediately after the update and why it only happens when the device goes to sleep or when we power on the device.
I also noticed the change on bootloader fonts and interface after the update. I'm suspecting that the problem is there.

Does any one has any thoughts about this?

ciscostud

Dec 17, 2011
It's a hardware issue. It's a bad nand issue in fact. You can find Reddit posts a mile long about it.
Anyways it will slowly get worse over time. Had to replace the main-board in my SM-N910W myself.

shpeendi

Jul 12, 2009
It's a hardware issue. It's a bad nand issue in fact. You can find Reddit posts a mile long about it.
Anyways it will slowly get worse over time. Had to replace the main-board in my SM-N910W myself.

Is there any reason at all why it is happening I mean for the nand issue. I don't like the answer that is motherboard fault and we should replace it, which probably means replacing the phone. Is there anyone who can see deeper into the motherboard to find the issue. I also insist that this started to happen immediately after the second MM update.
I still have an IPhone 3G from 2008 and never changed anything on it. Isn't that ironic ?

ciscostud

Dec 17, 2011
Is there any reason at all why it is happening I mean for the nand issue. I don't like the answer that is motherboard fault and we should replace it, which probably means replacing the phone. Is there anyone who can see deeper into the motherboard to find the issue. I also insist that this started to happen immediately after the second MM update.
I still have an IPhone 3G from 2008 and never changed anything on it. Isn't that ironic ?

It was a Bad batch of nand chip that started to go bad after a year or two. Note 4s started to drop like flies before April.

I think your in the 1st stage of Loss and Grief. 1st stage is denial.

Reactions: MajorMcNugget

TheOne741

May 29, 2009
If thats so than Samsung should repair our phones under warranty and not tell us we have to pay for the repair coz we installed custom roms.

golden_m

Nov 13, 2007

same issue here, exactly as described above...
any way to push Samsung to admit bad batch and fix it for us with no charge?

ciscostud

Dec 17, 2011
same issue here, exactly as described above...
any way to push Samsung to admit bad batch and fix it for us with no charge?

I've already swaped a few main-boards. Ive even put a international exynos n910c main-board in a broken canadian snapdragon note 4 and its works perfect.

If anyone needs help just pm me.

golden_m

Nov 13, 2007
I've already swaped a few main-boards. Ive even put a international exynos n910c main-board in a broken canadian snapdragon note 4 and its works perfect.

If anyone needs help just pm me.
I would be more interested in understanding how come so many Note 4 devices started acting up around same time mark...

hathertonwood

Aug 20, 2016
This is definitely a hardware problem with the motherboard. Mine started giving the same symptoms 2 weeks after the 6.01 upgrade. Wakelock made it stable but after Samsung replaced the motherboard it is so much faster and no issues at all. I wonder if this is a faulty NAND issue whether the 6.01 upgrade and the way it manages memory could have triggered it. Certainly strange but it need Samsung to fix it.

anasrizvi

Nov 14, 2013
Bangalore
I am also having same problem.
I was using custom rom and it was working fine without any lag or freeze suddenly one day my Note fall from bed to ground and since then it is not working properly i thought its the ROM so i reverted back to stock MM rom flashed via odin.
Reset everything erased everything but the problem remains same.

At present i am on stock with hardly any apps just FB and whatsapp.
But my device is so slow and keep lagging and sometimes it becomes very hot and restart itself.

I dont know what to do now. i m on 910 G snapdragon.

shpeendi

Jul 12, 2009
I am also having same problem.
I was using custom rom and it was working fine without any lag or freeze suddenly one day my Note fall from bed to ground and since then it is not working properly i thought its the ROM so i reverted back to stock MM rom flashed via odin.
Reset everything erased everything but the problem remains same.

At present i am on stock with hardly any apps just FB and whatsapp.
But my device is so slow and keep lagging and sometimes it becomes very hot and restart itself.

I dont know what to do now. i m on 910 G snapdragon.

Sorry to hear that, as for now jut install wake lock and enable partial_wake_lock so you can use your device until it fails completely

Semajgnik

Aug 28, 2016
I have the same issue also guys and it started a week after updating to Marshmallow.
Phone worked perfectly fine for 2 years prior to this. So I highly doubt its a hardware issue and more likely a software/firmware problem.
Phone seems to have issues whenever the screen is asleep (hence why the wake lock app seems to help with this problem although not a proper solution)
I'm hoping Samsumg can release a patch fix for this as I truly love my Note 4 and would like to keep it for some time yet.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone,

I've had my note 4 over two years now and out of nowhere problems started happening after second MM update, model SM-N910F was freezing and restarting and sometimes was not able to boot normally and got mmc read fail.
    I'm reading a lot about this problem in other forums and here, so hope someone could help about this issue.

No Success:
    I tried anything from removing sd card, removing sim card, changing the battery, resetting the device, cleaning the cache, flashing the room through odin, flashing the rom with pit file and doing a re partition (Didn't tried Nand erase).

Success:
    The only way that I was able to fix the freeze issue was by installing app called Wake Lock and enabling PARTIAL_WAKE_LOCK.

But using Wake Lock has its disadvantages. First of all you need to run the app all times which its not practical and second it wipes your battery because it keeps device and processor awake.

Please join this thread anyone who has similar issues with the aim to fix or bring the phone to an usable state again.
    Did you tried Wake Lock if it works? Which model of GN4 do you have ?

It was a Bad batch of nand chip that started to go bad after a year or two. Note 4s started to drop like flies before April.

I think your in the 1st stage of Loss and Grief. 1st stage is denial.
    Hi,
    Can you provide the where you found the replacement motherboard?
    Buy the Note 4 from Samsung website. Swap out the mobo and return that BS back to Samsung...

There's an easy way to swap mobo too. Look for "HighOnAndroid" guy on youtube. He has a painfree method to do it without messing with screen.

https://youtu.be/OUDgGaFcCNY
    I have the random reboot issue quite frequently and like mentioned, it only started since the second MM update back in summer sometime (July or August I think...). I find it hard to think it so commonly happened to so many people at the same time after that specific MM update in the summer that I don't think it's hardware. I haven't been able to piece together any sort of pattern to this random reboot issue either other than it happens most days while I'm at work but I barely touch my phone while at work and then notice it's asking for my password instead of fingerprint which is how I know it rebooted. Seriously irritating the hell out of me!